Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://www.hbo.com/mare-of-easttown

Mare of Easttown is the next True Detective on HBO starring Kate Winslet as the detective and featuring a knockdown cast. I'm no good at doing threads and I hate words so just check it out. It's extremely dope and I think might be the best True Detective yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Quick overview, spoilers for episode 1 and minor ones for 2 -:

Mare of Easttown is released every Sunday on HBO in the US and on Sky Atlantic in the UK on Monday. There will be seven episodes with two aired already.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQqyfO66uw

Notable Characters episode 1-2

Mare Sheehan, played by Kate Winslet, is Easttown’s local police detective. She has been investigating the disappearance of a young girl, Kate Bailey, for a year but has hit a dead end with the case. Under pressure from the town and her chief, she is for re-examine it. Seems to shoulder everyone’s burdens and expected to solve them.

Her son committed suicide and she took custody of her grandson, Drew, due to the mother having addiction issues. After struggling to balance bringing him up by herself and work, her mother moves in to help. She has a strained relationship with her daughter Siobhan who lives with her. Considered a local sports hero for winning a basketball game with a last second shot 25 years ago, gaining the nickname Lady Hawk, which she is not a fan of. Used to doing everything herself, she is not thrilled to have a new detective assigned to work with her but begins to warm towards him by the end of episode 2.

Detective Colin Zabel, played by Evan Peters, is an out of town detective assigned to work with Mare in an attempt to get fresh eyes on the disappearance of Kate Bailey. Quite the opposite of Mare in his approach to police work, he is however known for recently solving another notable disappearance case.

Erin McMenamin, played by Cailee Spaeny. A single teen mother, living with her father Kenny who is fed up of having to pay for everything for her son. Tries to have a civil relationship with her ex-boyfriend and his new partner but this is not reciprocated. By the end of episode 1 she is found dead, leading the town to ask whether her death is linked to Kate Bailey's.

Richard Ryan, played by Guy Pearce, is an out of town author and professor from Syracuse who recently moved to Easttown. His claim to fame is having one of his books turned into a TV movie. Somehow manages to seduce Mare (despite his lack of game) for what she intends to be only a one night stand but he manages to get Mare to come to a book signing of his two days later. Affably charming and a sexy bastard to boot.

Dylan Hinchey, played by Jack Mulhern, is Erin's ex boyfriend and the father of her baby. His new girlfriend Brianna, is not a fan of Erin and he himself seemingly wants nothing to do with Erin, acting like being in her presence or acting civil is a huge burden.

Brianna Delrasso, played by Mackenzie Lansing , is Dylan's new girlfriend and it's fair to say she is not a fan of Erin at all. While some say she is "all bark, no bite" there may be more to her threats than just just words.

Kenny McMenamin, played by Patrick Murney, is Erin's father. Bitter, angry and tries to find solace in the bottom of a bottle. Resents having to spend so much on his grandson and has a very frosty relationship with his daughter. Immediately has a suspicion of who killed his daughter.

Frank Sheeran, played by David Denman, is Mare's ex husband. Has the balls to move in with his new fiancee into the house immediately behind Mare's. Works at the local school as a maths teacher. Is the father of Mare's daughter, Siobhan and maintains a civil relationship with Mare.

Siobhan Sheehan, played by Angourie Rice, is Mare and Frank's daughter. Lives with Mare but they have a tense relationship. Seems to have a better relationship with her dad and has no problem with his partner. Was one of many who saw Erin shortly before her death.

Dawn Bailey, played by Enid Graham, is the mother of missing girl Kate Bailey. Currently receiving treatment for cancer. A friend of Mare's, however she is frustrated at the lack of progress at finding her daughter and publicly condemns the police department for not doing enough, affecting her friendship with Mare.

Hunter Leopardson fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 30, 2021

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Great show so far, was hooked fifteen minutes into the first episode and Kate is fantastic.

Thought there was something off about Mare's ex-husband Frank when he was talking about Erin and randomly came out with how he had a "feeling" she didn't have a very good home life despite saying she was quiet and that he didn't really have anything to do with her.

If there's anything anyone wants a gif/webm made from let me know

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Great show so far, was hooked fifteen minutes into the first episode and Kate is fantastic.

Thought there was something off about Mare's ex-husband Frank when he was talking about Erin and randomly came out with how he had a "feeling" she didn't have a very good home life despite saying she was quiet and that he didn't really have anything to do with her.

If there's anything anyone wants a gif/webm made from let me know

It's really well cast and Kate Winslet is an international treasure. Also props for perfectly capturing the quintessential dirtbag teen boy with Erin's ex.

Re Frank: I suspect the "Frank (maybe) molested Erin" plot point is a misdirect because you don't drop that plot point at the end of ep 2 if Frank is the killer. At the time I chalked it up to Frank being a good teacher who could read Erin as having that kind of vibe but in retrospect it's clear that he was evasive. But I suspect that's because of something else. Where's Erin's mom in all of this?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Didn't Erin's friend say that Frank was the baby's father? I interpreted that this explained why Erin's ex was so angsty, that he was vaguely aware of the possibility the baby wasn't his.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Jeez we already missing plot beats up in here?

Show's pretty good so far. If I could binge I would.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Didn't Erin's friend say that Frank was the baby's father? I interpreted that this explained why Erin's ex was so angsty, that he was vaguely aware of the possibility the baby wasn't his.

She said she thinks Frank is the baby's father, but doesn't know for sure IIRC.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Good OP, Hunter Leopardson.

I was skeptical going in but a grubby, world-weary Kate Winslet who knows everyone and people call her directly instead of the PD and Jean Smart being awesome as always among others have been fantastic, on top of the rest of the cast. Plus the setting is a nice balance of homey yet bleak that makes it feel like the real world.

I had predicted the initial catfishing and given the nature of the show, obviously knew what would happen to poor, sweet Erin in Episode 1 but still came a bit as a shock when it happened.

The end of the 2nd episode definitely hooked me even more - the reveal about their son committing suicide and why Mare had custody was intriguing since it had previously been unclear to me her whole family situation and being a grandmother; I kind of liked that they're parsing out this info gradually rather than everything laid out in the first episode or exposition dump.

This show also makes me realize that I've always lived in big cities/suburbs of them and both the comfort and suffocating nature of small towns and knowing everyone and their business, that I cannot relate to but find fascinating.

Also if someone could provide a gif of Mare eating the pate then stuffing it in the sofa in episode 2 lol.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

sticksy posted:

Also if someone could provide a gif of Mare eating the pate then stuffing it in the sofa in episode 2 lol.

https://i.imgur.com/rpNgTCK.mp4

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
After that stunt Mare pulled this past ep, I'm having a hard time sympathizing with her. That was straight up an evil, corrupt move. And I guess the show wants us to know it was the Deacon?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

After that stunt Mare pulled this past ep, I'm having a hard time sympathizing with her. That was straight up an evil, corrupt move. And I guess the show wants us to know it was the Deacon?

I wonder if were going to find out she's been crooked all along and covered up some kind of connection with the missing girl and her son that killed himself.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Since Evan Peters appeared, I'm excited to see how this show links into the X-Men universe. I predict the killer was Magneto.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching this based on goon recommendation, and I'm liking this more than I thought I would.

It's so obviously Happy Valley that I can't help but see Sarah Lancashire say the lines, and I honestly think she'd be better in the role than Kate Winslet.

But this is good and I like it too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ghostinmyshell posted:

I wonder if were going to find out she's been crooked all along and covered up some kind of connection with the missing girl and her son that killed himself.

This would be a real good twist tbh

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope this show doesn't turn out to be dumb. It's fairly solid for the most part but slips here and there. It's also way overscored, lots of *emotional music here* stuff like, I get it, show, give it a rest.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Quite a funny episode in places this week, many of the pre-release reviews I saw said next weeks episode is fantastic.

Crazy speculation time for who the killer is - Kevin is the father of Erin's baby. Frank is aware his son is the father, Erin went to to him to blackmail him for money, he refuses, Siobhan hears this. Erin phones the priest not knowing what to do, Siobhan follows Erin and offers to give her a lift. Kills Erin out in the woods for...... reasons. Two missing girls are unrelated to Erin

Edit. Thinking about episode 4 some more, Frank's DNA test didn't match for Erin and I'm assuming that would have come up as a similar match if Erin's baby was Kevin's maybe? Unless Frank isn't Kevin's dad......
In summary -:

Hunter Leopardson fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 11, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My guess is that the killer is Guy Pearce's character. He's the most famous actor playing a possible perp, it would be most gutting for Mare, it would play into currently-relevant themes of unassuming-but-actually-predatory men, and it fulfils the writing aim of "hiding in plain sight".

Second option is Kevin if he's somehow alive. Though that might be a bit over-the-top for this show.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I agree, it's most likely Guy Pearce, mainly because he does such a great job at being a villain when it comes time to play a villain. I need to do a rewatch to see whenabouts he came to town. Maybe he found Katie online, and then after he killed her, he noticed there were more?

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
We live ten seconds away from where they filmed the Marcus Hook parts of this and my wife and I are having a blast watching it. I think it's a little too close to home for living in small town Delco, but whatever. Like, I was pissed when Mare rang up her gas and then left the counter to pick out a hoagie.
If anyone is willing to gif the kid vandalizing the back shed and then flipping off the security camera, I'd be real grateful. That poo poo was hilarious!

Hub Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 12, 2021

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Hub Dirt posted:

If anyone is willing to gif the kid vandalizing the back shed and then flipping off the security camera, I'd be real grateful. That poo poo was hilarious!
Not sure if I cut it off too soon -:
https://i.imgur.com/wePwwE4.mp4

Bonus
https://i.imgur.com/K61Ztmu.mp4

Hunter Leopardson fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 12, 2021

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So if I enjoyed True Detective (and I did, all seasons) would I enjoy this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I don't think it's as well written as S1 of True Detective but it's your standard grim detective procedural so far, can't say for sure until it's done though. It's not perfect but I'm enjoying it well enough and nowadays I tend to not get into shows like this.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
This is more like Broadchurch than True Detective, imo

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Not sure if I cut it off too soon -:
https://i.imgur.com/wePwwE4.mp4

Thanks a bunch.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m liking this show so far, just finished episode 2. The town has a weird dynamic where apparently it’s small enough that everyone knows everyone else, but also big enough to have a full police department, and a very shiny and new medical center. That’s really my only complaint though.

I like the set up so far, and there looks to be plenty of twists along the way.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m liking this show so far, just finished episode 2. The town has a weird dynamic where apparently it’s small enough that everyone knows everyone else, but also big enough to have a full police department, and a very shiny and new medical center. That’s really my only complaint though.

I like the set up so far, and there looks to be plenty of twists along the way.

It's seriously just Delaware County, PA.
Each town has its own police department, the new medical center could be Riddle Hospital. Even if it's not in the same town, it's 10 minutes away, not to mention you're close enough to Philadelphia and Delaware to get some amazing children's hospitals (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and AI Dupont), which would all be close enough to Delco to hit on the way in to work.

Regarding the acting, it's great and while this is praising with faint damnation, I've only noticed them "trying" to do the accents a couple of times, otherwise it just sounds like my mom talking to her sisters. The Delco accent is loving brutal.

The writer for this also did that Christian Bale movie "Into the Fire" a few years ago. It has a very similar feel.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 13, 2021

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think of this less as a True Detective replacement, and more of a conduit for more Jean Smart into our lives.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

CornHolio posted:

It's less singularly focused on brooding, hopelessness and misery than any of the True Detective seasons, but we're enjoying it. It's a little too 'network TV' at times.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Regarding the acting, it's great and while this is praising with faint damnation, I've only noticed them "trying" to do the accents a couple of times, otherwise it just sounds like my mom talking to her sisters. The Delco accent is loving brutal

These accents are real things? The variety of US accents is freaking bonkers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's seriously just Delaware County, PA.
Each town has its own police department, the new medical center could be Riddle Hospital. Even if it's not in the same town, it's 10 minutes away, not to mention you're close enough to Philadelphia and Delaware to get some amazing children's hospitals (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and AI Dupont), which would all be close enough to Delco to hit on the way in to work.

Ah ok, I didn’t bother looking up that this is an actual town. Since it seemed like Mare knows everyone and their brother, it just felt like a really small town.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ah ok, I didn’t bother looking up that this is an actual town. Since it seemed like Mare knows everyone and their brother, it just felt like a really small town.

There is no "Easttown" in Delaware county, but it works as a stand in for multiple towns in delco.
This is the chunk of Delaware County that this show was filmed in and where "Easttown" would be if it were real:

On the second map, look to the upper left. Apparently the studio was in Aston and they did most of the filming within a few miles of there, so you're probably seeing a lot of Marcus Hook in the show.

It's kind of a strange area because of how long it has been settled. Basically you do have really small towns, there's just no space between one small town and the next, just a street dividing them. If you were driving through you'd just think you were in one big rear end densely populated suburb of Philly and have no idea you just drove through 8 different towns.

Looten Plunder posted:

These accents are real things? The variety of US accents is freaking bonkers.

The delco accent is really strange. I have it a little bit because my mom grew up there and has it pretty bad (nothing compared to her sisters who still live there though), but I could immediately be pegged as "not from delco" despite growing up 20 minutes from there. It's this strange hyper-regional accent. It's a really extreme variant on the Philadelphia accent, which is already a strange accent to begin with.

Edit: I just thought of the 2 oddest examples that only people from that area use.

Monday: most people: Mun-day. Delco: Mun-dee. (repeat for all days of the week)
Acme (local grocery store): most people: Ack-mee. Delco: ack-a-me. I have no idea where that third syllable comes from.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 14, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a place called “Easttown Township” in Delaware County when I search so it’s probably there

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s a place called “Easttown Township” in Delaware County when I search so it’s probably there

It is definitely not there.
Easttown Township is in Chester County right on the border of Delaware county, but it is 100% not the intended location of the show.

Again, local PA stuff, so sorry for anyone who isn't interested.

There's an area of Delaware County that is referred to as the Main Line, which is literally named after the old rail line that ran through it.
As the area developed in the early 1800's a lot of the Philadelphia elite had summer homes out there that were accessible by rail. The area referred to as the Main Line now still has a reputation for being an area where "old money Philadelphia" lives, and is still very well off.

Most of the main line is in Delaware county, but it shoots off into Chester County for a bit. The real Easttown is part of this off shoot, and is either directly neighbors with or contains (not 100% sure which) the very affluent areas of Berwyn and Devon.

The Easttown depicted in the show is more representative of the area referred to as "Delco" (see my maps above) which is far more of a blue collar area than the main line. They are in the same county but completely different worlds.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I checked and you’re right, but I am also, kind of?

quote:

Because the story is set in a fictionalized version of Easttown Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania, where series creator Brad Ingelsby was born (the show moves the location east to adjacent Delaware County), there were discussions about whether to use the "Delco accent", a version of Philadelphia English common in Delaware County.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Escobarbarian posted:

I checked and you’re right, but I am also, kind of?

http://www.villanovan.com/culture/alumnus-brad-ingelsby-talks-series-mare-of-easttown/article_d8b2130c-9da2-11eb-a881-e7148f756244.html

quote:

BI: “Mare of Easttown” is a story about a detective named Mare Sheehan. She is the only detective in this sort of small Pennsylvania town called Easttown, which is really an amalgam of a number of communities in the area. It was shot in a few towns like Aston, and it’s modelled after Drexel Hill and Springfield and a lot of places around where I grew up. My father grew up in Springfield and my mother grew up in Drexel Hill. So, Mare is a detective in a working class community, and at one time in her life as a teenager, she was a hero

quote:

AF: Since you grew up around the area where this story takes place, I’d imagine that friends and family are so excited to see the region represented on an HBO show.

BI: [laughing] You know, it’s funny, though, because the real Easttown is a little different than the Easttown in the show … I think anyone that lives in Easttown will probably be like, ‘That doesn’t exactly look like Easttown.’ But I think that anyone familiar with the region will appreciate the flavor and texture of the show: the Wawa references, the Yuengling, the pizza. What I wanted to capture was the rhythms and rituals of life and how I grew up, and I think the show does that and I’m proud of that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Comrade Fakename posted:

Since Evan Peters appeared, I'm excited to see how this show links into the X-Men universe. I predict the killer was Magneto.

It actually ties into the MCU, and the killer is Kathryn Hahn. It was witches.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Big episode 5 spoilers ahead

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pale Ale
Sep 10, 2001

Yeah I know that but do you honestly expect England to even slightly challenge Australia in the finals? They will be demolished.

Escobarbarian posted:

Big episode 5 spoilers ahead

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:( Ah poo poo.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

On Ep3. This show is insanely good. Mare is such a total total rear end in a top hat and she owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
BRB gonna pour out a Wawa coffee for my boy