Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
My theory is...

John is both the father and the killer. He and Billy confronted Erin at some point that night and the quick scene of John making Bill verbalize that he killed her was him admitting he's JUST as guilty. John's plan is to kill Billy and make it seem like he confessed to everything then blew his brains out and John hopes it ends there.

The Dylan thing seems harder to parse, but I think it is just him trying to destroy evidence (whatever Erin wrote in the journals) of who DJ's father is so he can keep custody because he came to terms with it in the hospital room. Still seems like a silly overreaction, but I do think it is just a red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Billy and Dylan held Erin down while John shot her. Frank watched.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

CornHolio posted:

Billy and Dylan held Erin down while John shot her. Frank watched.

Also the priest was there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wasn't Erin taken 13 whatever miles away or something then dumped back? Or am I misremembering something. Not that it would have any bearing on anything.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bananaquiter posted:

Also the priest was there.

Siobhan videotaped it.

Something_Hazy
Sep 21, 2019
Maybe this is actually a new version of the Omen and Drew is behind everything, that would be spooooooooky . I mean it would explain why literally everyone on this show is so hosed up.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The killer was Erin from the future.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

gently caress me has the CIA been in here ?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL the lovely HBO Max app crashed for the finale.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Mmm didn't find it believable that the kid did it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 31, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Mmm didn't find it believable that the kid did it.

Can't have Guy Pearce in the show and not have him be the killer. Bad call.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 31, 2021

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

mcmagic posted:

I agree. I loved the show beyond this, but why in the world was Guy Pearce (or his character) in this show at all? It didn't really serve any purpose except to (I guess) offer a comparison with Mare's life which was already done by many other characters.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

beergod posted:

I agree. I loved the show beyond this, but why in the world was Guy Pearce (or his character) in this show at all? It didn't really serve any purpose except to (I guess) offer a comparison with Mare's life which was already done by many other characters.
I think it was just to have something not totally depressing and an additional red herring

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

That DJ kid is gonna be messed up when he's older.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Can someone tell me how Laurie is walking free, but Billy is only up for parole in a year!? All four of them would be in jail in real life lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

That was a very good show everyone will forget about overnight.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

LionArcher posted:

That was a very good show everyone will forget about overnight.
Imo it’s the best television series in years and will probably be fondly remembered, but you’re right in the sense that it’s not particularly rewatchable

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Imo it’s the best television series in years and will probably be fondly remembered, but you’re right in the sense that it’s not particularly rewatchable

It’s very good but it’s not as good as queens Gambit.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/seanfennessey/status/1399204491648397315?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's not even the best HBO limited series in recent years imo....

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

mcmagic posted:

The kid claimed to have returned the gun the same night but the old man noticed it missing so clearly Guy Pearce followed the kid and borrowed the gun to commit other murders.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder to check out the British series Happy Valley if you liked this. Very similar premise, it clearly inspired Inglesby, and the episode 5 climax especially owes it a direct debt

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished the finale and thought it was very good. I’m quite lucky with shows like this in that I watch way more for the characters than for the mystery, and this finale certainly massively delivered on the former, even if elements of the latter were lacking.

Honestly I might have liked it more if the killer had just been John and the rest of the episode had just been character stuff, but then Lori’s stuff wouldn’t have been quite as gut-wrenching and that was definitely a highlight. Still, it being the son - and solving the case relying on that old guy randomly deciding to report a crime ages after the fact - was slightly messy and awkward.

Kate Winslet’s facial acting in this episode, holy poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Quite a funny episode in places this week, many of the pre-release reviews I saw said next weeks episode is fantastic.

Crazy speculation time for who the killer is - Kevin is the father of Erin's baby. Frank is aware his son is the father, Erin went to to him to blackmail him for money, he refuses, Siobhan hears this. Erin phones the priest not knowing what to do, Siobhan follows Erin and offers to give her a lift. Kills Erin out in the woods for...... reasons. Two missing girls are unrelated to Erin

Edit. Thinking about episode 4 some more, Frank's DNA test didn't match for Erin and I'm assuming that would have come up as a similar match if Erin's baby was Kevin's maybe? Unless Frank isn't Kevin's dad......
In summary -:

pretty good guess in retrospect, tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I've been enjoying this for the lived-in quality and the character work even if the dead girl small town premise is played out as hell. Speculating on Who Did It (I'm totally guessing, but spoilered as some people are evidently catching up):

- The priest and Frank I consider pretty much played out as options

- I don’t at all buy it being Guy Pearce’s character, he just reads as self-absorbed but sincerely trying to make peace with where is he is in middle age, hence trying to push Mare to do the same on custody - and I just think it would be a corny choice to have it be someone who’s gotten intimate with Mare but has zero connection to anything else. I think there might be something to come around his trying to use the case/town for second novel material and incurring Mare's suspicion, or just pissing her off.

- Dylan I’m betting is a total misdirect: he’s making some half-brained effort to destroy all record of the kid’s actual father so he can keep the kid in his family (which is why he wouldn’t even read the diaries himself), and the money he took is genuinely still going towards the ear op.

- The cousin Billy Ross is being dangled too much in front of us already, and is simply guilty from being in on it.

- Lori's husband John seems the most likely to me as father to Erin's baby and my guess for the killer, and their kid Ryan covering for him by going along with Lori's idea that he's reignited some past affair she already knew of. Although I've seen a suggestion that it might be the kid himself who killed Erin and John and Billy trying to cover for him, which would be a little huge but actually starting to win me over. It's definitely going to come back to their household anyway, and has the vibe that the actual killing was unintentional or at least heat of the moment.

nailed it

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This show was okay. Stumbled here and there and my feeling on the finale is that it was a bit too over-eager to squeeze the last bit of drama out of everything when I would've prefered if it had been a little more drawn out. For me this had the appeal of something like The Killing which is another flawed show I like.

Also not sure if it was intentional to have Guy Pearce once again driving what looked like an open-top Jaguar XK8 but if it was a Memento reference then it's worth the chuckle.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To quote another HBO limited series, that finale was 'not great, not terrible.' I would recommend it to others, enjoyed it on the whole but as others said it could have dialled back a little bit and been better for it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I want multiple seasons of this, with Mare just constantly holding back tears and arresting her friends and family for murder. The show should go on for long enough that she just empties out the town. Jean Smart? Guilty. The girl from the Spider-Man films? Guilty. Guy Pearce arrives back into a weirdly deserted Easttown and immediately garrottes a callgirl.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

So eight months in, is John still in jail or what? Seemed he still wasn't around there at the end.

I knew there was a twist coming when there was 45 minutes left and everything had seemingly been wrapped up.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Can someone tell me how Laurie is walking free, but Billy is only up for parole in a year!? All four of them would be in jail in real life lol

Billy actively tried to hide the crime, including disposing of the body. Laurie lied to Mare about Billy doing it but that was the extend of what she did, she'd be way less likely to get serious time, especially if you could justify what she did by protecting her son. I could easily see a grand jury declining to press charges

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CornHolio posted:

So eight months in, is John still in jail or what? Seemed he still wasn't around there at the end.

Presumably they'd still charge John for statutory rape, disposing of the body, attempted murder maybe.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason I thought that Dawn Bailey had cancer and that she was going to die as soon as Katie got her new house but I guess she was just wearing a hair covering

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

For some reason I thought that Dawn Bailey had cancer and that she was going to die as soon as Katie got her new house but I guess she was just wearing a hair covering

hahaha I thought that too. Did she not????

also UGH UGH UGH NO

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1399730663629131778?s=21

Please don’t do this HBO just let a miniseries be a loving miniseries

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I feel like there must have been something else going on with Dylan that was not explained at the end: I find it hard to believe he would go to so much trouble to burn the journals and threaten someone with a gun, over just not wanting to give DJ up. Did he even know at that point that he's not the father? And by the end he's ok with just giving him to Laurie. Those three were up to some poo poo, there must have been something else in those journals. Or maybe the screenwriters just forgot.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I got to the second to last episode and just called it quits. Under different direction this could have been prestige television but it's just so formulaic and by-the-numbers.

The show barely had enough steam for one season. I'd be very surprised if there's any follow-up to this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

She had cancer, or at least I remember a reference to her cancer treatments. It wasn't a big plot point though, and honestly I don't think it would've made a difference if she never had cancer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

I feel like there must have been something else going on with Dylan that was not explained at the end: I find it hard to believe he would go to so much trouble to burn the journals and threaten someone with a gun, over just not wanting to give DJ up. Did he even know at that point that he's not the father? And by the end he's ok with just giving him to Laurie. Those three were up to some poo poo, there must have been something else in those journals. Or maybe the screenwriters just forgot.

This is the problem when you go the “everyone’s a suspect!!!!” route really

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Escobarbarian posted:

also UGH UGH UGH NO

Just do a different show with the same people, like AHS, but better.

Mare of Jacksonville: Mare is a crocodile farmer in Florida.
Mare of Minneapolis: HOT DOG WAR
and so on.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Escobarbarian posted:

also UGH UGH UGH NO

I guess she can move in with Richard and solve crimes in a new town. Or maybe she can be the new Zabel and they just send her around the state to solve murders.

Anyway I wonder if Lori knew her husband was going to murder his brother at the cabin because goddamn was she chill with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Well I assumed she was wearing that head scarf because of chemo hair loss, and if her hair is growing back then she stopped treat or was in remission.