Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I got to the second to last episode and just called it quits. Under different direction this could have been prestige television but it's just so formulaic and by-the-numbers.

You watched 80% of the show and just gave up? What was so egregious that made you quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If this happened in reality, what would the actual punishments be for the involved parties?

I know it would be an unfortunate situation for the victims family but I can't imagine Ryan getting much of a punishment at all.

LesterGroans posted:

Presumably they'd still charge John for statutory rape, disposing of the body, attempted murder maybe.

How old was Erin supposed to be?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iirc she’s a teenager so while I think she was meant to be over 18 when she died the baby could have been conceived when she was under 18

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

iirc she’s a teenager so while I think she was meant to be over 18 when she died the baby could have been conceived when she was under 18

Erin died at 17. DJ was a year old so that and 8-9 months for being preggers means EW. “It wasn’t just sex... we had something special” said John. Ew. Guess he votes Republican. Or a Jimmy Saville fan. Also love how John tells his wife to take care of the baby as it’s his. gently caress. That. Guy.

Looten Plunder posted:

If this happened in reality, what would the actual punishments be for the involved parties?

I know it would be an unfortunate situation for the victims family but I can't imagine Ryan getting much of a punishment at all.
How old was Erin supposed to be?
Backing this up as not American but curious about the law. Also no way would I have adopted my cheating paedo husbands baby. Could she just say no? Can you drop off strange unrelated children at Child services or a church? That poor lady... entire family in prison but the daughter with Downs and then the husband demands she take care of his spawn. loving divorce lawyer on speed dial.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 2, 2021

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I got to the second to last episode and just called it quits. Under different direction this could have been prestige television but it's just so formulaic and by-the-numbers.
Yeah I can't really see what others see in this show. Seems like a slightly sadder and extremely elongated version of the same old murder poo poo we've seen ten trillion times. I watched the entire thing waiting to see anything that would grab me as much as some people seem to be grabbed but uh... really not feeling it. I also must complain about the thread title. True Detective (season 1 at least) had dope rear end music, gorgeous direction, three interlinking chronologies, philosophizing, better and more tonally appropriate humor, and some naked people to boot. None of that on display here! The soundtrack is melodramatic and overbearing at points, I think I was impressed by a single shot in the entire series, it was entirely linear save for some clumsy flashbacks to fill in some story stuff, all the deep philosophy was swapped out for "depression runs in the family," almost all the humor was scored with the same dinky soundtrack so you knew it was time to laugh, and the mystery here was ridiculous compared to the straightforward True Detective plot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My roommates had been watching this show and it seemed pretty boring and grim in the glances of it I saw. Yesterday they were watching and it had some music-build-up that sounds like building towards a triumph, I asked if she won or was about to win. Turns out, sort of. She finally had the last clue or whatever to piece together that some dumb kid killed this person I reckon was the big mystery of the show? Then it got really dragged out, just a lot of shots of people being morose or devastated or exhausted and eventually Mare hugs it out with the murder boy's mom. Lost interest but still wanted to check - did the mom and dad in this story get in some legal trouble? Hoping so, maybe I missed it though, but mom knew about the killing, dad helped cover it up... seems like at least the dad should be in as much, maybe more, trouble than the kid? The mother more should get, like a warning, "don't hide a murder again if your kids ever do another."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mom no, dad yes. I don’t know that we still need to use spoiler tags.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Word, didn't have enough context to know where in the series that moment I saw was and didn't want to ruin the show for someone invested.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Finally finished this up and left it on for the BTS stuff. Had a good laugh at the location scout talking about how 'lucky' they were to find a bar with a house attached for shooting. On the Eastern side of PA, up and down, you will a house/bar every third street corner like clockwork. It was weird leaving the area for the first time to find out not everyone in US lived with a bar, a church and and some tiny hair salon in someone's basement on every block.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly I might have liked it more if the killer had just been John and the rest of the episode had just been character stuff, but then Lori’s stuff wouldn’t have been quite as gut-wrenching and that was definitely a highlight. Still, it being the son - and solving the case relying on that old guy randomly deciding to report a crime ages after the fact - was slightly messy and awkward.

That (and I know hey its TV and all) but holy hell must be a superduper DVR to go back to footage that long ago and so quickly.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lol I spent ages looking for a clip of that, but couldn’t find one. Of course, Frinkiac was the answer.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If you want an incredible murder mystery like detective show that isnt True Detective. The Killing on AMC and Netflix is my absolute favorite show of this genre. I loved it more than True Detective and I loved True Detective.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And if you want more traumatized family in depressed Pennsylvania crime stuff there's Back Roads. It's a decent novel and a so-so movie that share a few 'peculiar' similarities with Mare.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If you want an incredible murder mystery like detective show that isnt True Detective. The Killing on AMC and Netflix is my absolute favorite show of this genre. I loved it more than True Detective and I loved True Detective.

Seasons 1 and 2 do nothing for me. But the show suddenly became very good in Season 3.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And if you want more traumatized family in depressed Pennsylvania crime stuff there's Back Roads. It's a decent novel and a so-so movie that share a few 'peculiar' similarities with Mare.

Makes me wish for a Banshee/ Mare of Easttown crossover where Mare has to solve the mystery of who taught the Amish kung-fu

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
If you just want to hear funny Pennsylvanian accents watch the Pawnsylvania: Destination Wedding sketch from Kroll Show.

"You're the best, man!"

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
I'm happy Mare found peace, but she's still a bitch.
It also owned seeing my neighborhood showcased.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Show was good imo. Final episode was a bit of a let down.

Height of the show was ep 5 (ep 6?) when they did my boy quicksilver real dirty

I don't think Mare was a bitch at all, and I'm not really seeing where the complaints about her character are coming from - with one exception: it felt like Kate Winslet overdramatised the parts of episode 8 with the son, which was kinda grating - with that said I think Kate Winslet did a lot of heavy lifting with her acting and somebody in that role who was less convincing would have been an absolute loving trainwreck

I hope they don't make this a series with a direct sequel. It really doesn't need one. However, something done in the same style by the same writer/director with similar direction that just rounds off the jagged edges and takes lessons from what worked and didnt work in this series could be very promising.

Sally Sprodgkin fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 6, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sheriff Falc posted:

I don't think Mare was a bitch at all, and I'm not really seeing where the complaints about her character are coming from - with one exception: it felt like Kate Winslet overdramatised the parts of episode 8 with the son, which was kinda grating

Which part?

It was a 7 episode series.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
NBC writing with HBO production values.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished the finale and thought it was very good. I’m quite lucky with shows like this in that I watch way more for the characters than for the mystery, and this finale certainly massively delivered on the former, even if elements of the latter were lacking.

Honestly I might have liked it more if the killer had just been John and the rest of the episode had just been character stuff, but then Lori’s stuff wouldn’t have been quite as gut-wrenching and that was definitely a highlight. Still, it being the son - and solving the case relying on that old guy randomly deciding to report a crime ages after the fact - was slightly messy and awkward.

Kate Winslet’s facial acting in this episode, holy poo poo

Agreed. I really enjoyed it but I was more invested in the constant turmoil than who did it. I found it quite difficult or emotional to watch in parts

I didn't really understand what was going on with the logistics of the gun at the end but eh whatever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think they should keep going for 10 seasons

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

Which part?

It was a 7 episode series.

poo poo. Ep 7 then. Coulda sworn it was 8 eps

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fart simpson posted:

i think they should keep going for 10 seasons

The Season 9 finale is when they reveal that every season's case ties back to Sweet Dee somehow.

Vvvv the article misses a fundamental point, some people just don't give a poo poo. Half the guys I work with pay more for their car every month than they do for rent. PA is so depressed it has a really low cost of living so lots of folk take that extra money and dump in their car since it's something that tends to not be affected by CoL.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 9, 2021

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I did notice the kid's Bronco not really fitting in but I had no idea they were worth that much in good condition. Dylan was basically driving around in a new S-class.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Mercedes S class cost like 250k in Australia. That's insane if that Bronco is worth that. (Or Mercs are just really cheap in the US)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Was it just a coincidence that the whole show was directed by Craig Zobel, and then Evan Peter's character was called Colin Zabel?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Zobel wasn’t the original director, so maybe? It was originally gonna be Gavin O’Connor (Warrior, that movie where Ben Affleck is autistic)

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Dylan is the one character I'm still confused about. He already knows he'll lose custody of Drew due to the paternity test results so why burn the journals? What was so urgent about ordering Jess to get in the car before chasing her around the neighborhood and then threatening to kill her?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Kudos to the goon that nailed it with his predictions on like page two.

One complaint I had with this series, though I enjoyed it enough to binge it in two days or so, was that no one who interacted with Erin after her fight in the woods commented to the police that she looked like she'd just gotten the poo poo beat out of her. I thought it was weird that it didn't come up, even though they seemed to reflect it in her makeup in the last episode.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello thread. I am on episode two and watching three as we speak. Everyone hates everyone.
My prediction is that it's the boyfriend writer who likes Erin because everything in the show has to flow through Mare so of course the but event in town flows through Mare too

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 10, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I am now on episode 6:
Is everyone in this town pregnant at 16? I hope Chevon is safe because she's a lesbian but now I'm paranoid that she'll be bi or raped and be pregnant next episode.
Jesus everyone related. Erin's dad's brother's wife is Mare's BFF
Colin Zabel is his name but it took me six episodes because I thought they were saying "Cain's Able"
RIP Colin

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A+ spelling of Siobhan.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A+ spelling of Siobhan.

... Oh God

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As someone living in Delco the most infuriating thing is the idea of anyone glorifying a cheesesteak from Coco’s!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

If you want another show like this one, I would recommend Gangs of London. It's less about protagonist character study and more about true detective episode 4 and 7 stretched over 10 eps. its really good, violent, twists and gritty and maybe a bit poo poo thinking about it now but still pretty good wupwup

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I watched this entire series in the last 24 hours and the thing that struck me most is the mostly quiet way all the characters carry all this bottled up grief, rage, sadness inside them.

Sure, there are outbursts here and there, but mostly they hear more bad news, accept it, and figure out what to do next.

There's a fatalism about the entire show that is overwhelming - no one expects anything but brief moments where they can smile and those are few and far between.

EDIT: reminded me of a Canadian series, Durham County (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_County_(TV_series))

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 14, 2021

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah I can't really see what others see in this show. Seems like a slightly sadder and extremely elongated version of the same old murder poo poo we've seen ten trillion times. I watched the entire thing waiting to see anything that would grab me as much as some people seem to be grabbed but uh... really not feeling it. I also must complain about the thread title. True Detective (season 1 at least) had dope rear end music, gorgeous direction, three interlinking chronologies, philosophizing, better and more tonally appropriate humor, and some naked people to boot. None of that on display here! The soundtrack is melodramatic and overbearing at points, I think I was impressed by a single shot in the entire series, it was entirely linear save for some clumsy flashbacks to fill in some story stuff, all the deep philosophy was swapped out for "depression runs in the family," almost all the humor was scored with the same dinky soundtrack so you knew it was time to laugh, and the mystery here was ridiculous compared to the straightforward True Detective plot.

Binged this through the last week, definitely seemed like it was straining for rust-belt-ken-loach kind of social realism, but with a HEAVY dose of traditional pot-boiler melodrama. The kind of story you'd read about in the magazines my gran reads in the nursing home (MY SON SHOT MY HUSBANDS UNDERAGE LOVER....AND NOW I'M RAISING HER BABY!!!!!)

That said the melodrama worked and I sat and watched it and ooohed and aaaahed at all the twists, though I rolled my eyes a couple of times.

The show seemed to have a penchant for punishing its character's so I was dreading something awful happening to Moira.

Anyway, I replied to this post in particular because I've watched and loving loved Season 1 of True Detective for all the reasons OP mentioned, but havent bothered with the other two seasons because I heard they were a bit poo poo? Should I give them a go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Simiain posted:

Anyway, I replied to this post in particular because I've watched and loving loved Season 1 of True Detective for all the reasons OP mentioned, but havent bothered with the other two seasons because I heard they were a bit poo poo? Should I give them a go?
I am in the same position so if I ever cave and watch the other seasons I'll try to remember to let you know... I've heard a few people say that the backlash was kind of unfair and season 2, while worse than season 1, was still good. And I've heard very little about season 3 either way. I also have not seen, but have heard good things about, Too Old to Die Young.