Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
My little sister got this game and I ended up helping her beat a lot of it. I think she spent more time on it doing wacky stuff than playing trough it as the game is rather buggy and unpolished. Anyway, some notes:

Stage 5: When you're supposed to hide behind the smoke, getting caught will not restart the stage. It will instead lead to an alternative scene that has some good lines from the villains. Also, Mr Sands and his two goons do nothing, you can run into them just fine and IIRC, even push around them.

Stage 6: You really should have shown off the cloaked rider. It has by far the best design in this game IMO.

Stage 7: You can go trough the race in reverse and the game will still let you win. After the race, the game will automatically make Lisa dismount. If you hit the jump button repeatedly, the horse will rear and Lisa will dismount as it's rearing, leading to her either standing on top of the horse or getting flung off pretty far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I think that one problem with Lisa is that she's designed to be the (fairly generic) main character. She's a transfer student, has her traumatic past and gets the horse the game is names after. This works somewhat as long as she is the main character, but once she isn't, she's left with very little.

I interpret Herman as someone who was always superstitious and believed in the supernatural, but denies it. The game may have contradicted that idea though.

This was also my and my sister's favorite Strshine. In particular, my sister loved going for out of bounds hunt at "Race Back to The Stables". If you get to the car by going out of bounds, you will find it standing still, floating in the air and without any wheels. As for failing the stage, you can not ever run out of time, I think the only failure trigger is to dismount and then jump down a bottomless pit. In this game, if you fall down a bottomless pit while riding, you respawn and are sent backwards a bit, but you have to restart the stage if you're on foot. I think the reason for that is because while mounted, the game has only one entity to move while it was too complicated to teleport both the rider and the horse.

At the dam, I don't recall the game stopping me from going without the horse. IIRC, I was good to go on foot as soon as the horse rammed the crane. Maybe we had different versions? The jump at the end can easily be bypassed.

Anyway, when checking the map, I'm having a hard time seeing the destruction of the dam doing much else than causing a lot of property damage. Pine Hill seems to be the only building close to the dam and it looks like the water would quickly spread out. Heck, the existence of the dam doesn't make much sense in the first place.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The closest building to the dam that would be put on a map is Pine Hill mansion and based on the view you see from Pine Hill, the dam if pretty far away. There does not seem to be any collection of buildings even remotely close to one mile. That said, a dam breaking is a very bad thing and the skybox can probably not be considered very accurate. Still, the game developers should have put the town closer to the dam on the map rather than putting a forest and then open fields between the two.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The dam you showed is way bigger than Jorvik's, like more than 20 times broader. The town is also next to a sea, making it immune to slow flooding (but not fast flooding). The dam break could still be deadly, if we assume the dam is bigger than what the game shows us due to engine and gameplay reasons and if the terrain is such that it would lead the majority of the water towards the town rather than letting it spread out evenly. We can also interpret the distance between the dam and the town as favorable as reasonable possible. I suppose I can agree with plausible, but questionable.

While a deadly scenario is possible, the issue is that the game doesn't sell it at all. The game tends to hint towards things being far out in the middle of nowhere where you're far away from help if you get in trouble. Then it puts one such location, Pine Hill in this case, right between the dam and the town, making the distance from the dam to the town twice of "far out in the middle of nowhere". This is not a defined distance, but if you mentally put the dam fairly close to the town, you also end up diminishing the feeling of isolation. The dam is not very broad and there's a sea that will quickly drain any flooding. The thought "hey, the townspeople are in great danger" does not come naturally, I have to think of ways to justify the danger. All the developers had to do was to put Pine Hill somewhere else.