Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Starshine Legacy

Starshine Legacy is a series of 4 games available exclusively through a book-club, released first in 2005. Together, they weave quite the tale. There's adventure, magical horses, platforming, and mysteries to be had. Yes, so many mysteries, if the titles are to be believed. With names such as "Mystery of the SoulRiders", "Secret Of Pine Hill Mansion", "The Legend of Pandoria", and "The Riddle of Dark Core", how could one not be intrigued?

What are the games like?

Starshine Legacy is -at its core- a 3D platformer series. You jump, usually as horses, but sometimes as humans. You do also, however, spend just about as much time reading dialogue as you do actually engaging with the game's mechanics. Starshine Legacy's biggest strength and detriment is its narrative. There's a genuine attempt here to blend demographic pandering, complex fantasy, and emotional depth into one seamless package. The end result is interesting, if not exactly sensible.

How is this gonna go?

We'll be playing through all four games, and I'll do my best to be informative and affable. I do love the series in spite of its fluctuations in quality, so I'd like other people to find the experience pleasing as well.

Videos

1. Mystery of the SoulRiders

2. Secret of Pine Hill Mansion

Artwork

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

berryjon posted:

There has to be a legitimately good game in here. I see it there, peeking out from behind the bushes.

Then you move the camera around.

Some of those bushes are clipping through solid objects.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

it's weird they'd try and sell it episodically afterwards instead of as a bundle. Like what kid would spend 10-20 bucks on that hour of a game that only really gives you access to to the gameplay in the last 15 minutes -and then clamor for more?

It really reeks of some particularly greedy egotism. I can't imagine how they perceived the gaming landscape in 2005 that they thought they could sell what's essentially a 4 hour game as 4 separate episodic pieces. This was around the time you could buy FATE for the same price.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

There were also some other spinoff games that just focused on the horse-riding aspects, for a bit.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crystalgate posted:

My little sister got this game and I ended up helping her beat a lot of it. I think she spent more time on it doing wacky stuff than playing trough it as the game is rather buggy and unpolished. Anyway, some notes:

Stage 5: When you're supposed to hide behind the smoke, getting caught will not restart the stage. It will instead lead to an alternative scene that has some good lines from the villains. Also, Mr Sands and his two goons do nothing, you can run into them just fine and IIRC, even push around them.

Stage 6: You really should have shown off the cloaked rider. It has by far the best design in this game IMO.

Stage 7: You can go trough the race in reverse and the game will still let you win. After the race, the game will automatically make Lisa dismount. If you hit the jump button repeatedly, the horse will rear and Lisa will dismount as it's rearing, leading to her either standing on top of the horse or getting flung off pretty far.

I didn't expect anyone else to have played it, and I'm glad to know there's a method to make the goofy dismount happen manually. It happened to me once and I couldn't repeat it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've now retired my video-editing software of 7 years, so pardon the wait while I work with new programs. The next game is definitely the best written and produced of the four, on the upside.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

2. Secret of Pine Hill Mansion

I, personally, think the two month wait was worth it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kangra posted:

This might be the only piece of media that starts with ominous music and the words "Something has awakened..." and then says that's a really good thing.

"Something has awakened, and actually, it's just a girl with magic powers. Sorry."

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crystalgate posted:

The jump at the end can easily be bypassed.

Yeah, you can skip it easily by jumping from the top with Linda, though I wanted to leave everything in for the sake of the story.

Crystalgate posted:

Anyway, when checking the map, I'm having a hard time seeing the destruction of the dam doing much else than causing a lot of property damage. Pine Hill seems to be the only building close to the dam and it looks like the water would quickly spread out. Heck, the existence of the dam doesn't make much sense in the first place.

I'll add that to the list of things the writers didn't think out so well. I'll probably look at the map and bring it up in the third video. Thanks for drawing it to attention.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kangra posted:

The dam might be the place's only source of reliable electricity, given how high it is while still being apparently quite narrow. Maybe their primary fresh water, too. Either way, I think it's enough to wipe out anything below it or within a mile range of the channel, even with the buildings having outsize ceiling heights. Walls of water several hundred feet high just don't spread out that quickly.

I'll ask around to get a few more opinions on it before I dedicate to mentioning it, in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I am absolutely going to tell everyone I know that my LP sparked a debate about the flood radius of a dam explosion.