Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Darby vs 10 6 5.08%
Penelope vs Kris 2 1.69%
Hangman vs Brian 11 9.32%
Orange vs Penta 89 75.42%
Sydals vs Bucks 10 8.47%
Total: 118 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I was wondering who the blue masked luchador was in the audience.

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1387567534707204102
It was Nyla. She made a mask out of masks.

(edit) or I guess her wife made it

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/1387583975342870534

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

Pentagon Driver. He's used it a lot before but only started doing it recently in AEW I think.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Made in Japan, Shingo Takagi's finisher because Penta is on the record as a Shingo mark.

cool ty. idk who shingo is but the move is extra gnarly

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

that sound you hear is like 40 goons stampeding to this thread from the NJPW thread with some youtube links

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

smarxist posted:

that sound you hear is like 40 goons stampeding to this thread from the NJPW thread with some youtube links

perfect

they need to use the FORBIDDEN PORTAL to bring Shingo over to wrestle all the BEEF

Shingo v WARDLOW I mean come on holy poo poo

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
kip got off pretty light all things considered

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whens the last time yuji nagata wrestled on TNT?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JOHN CENA posted:

whens the last time yuji nagata wrestled on TNT?

July 1998.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kunabomber posted:

kip got off pretty light all things considered

haha you think miro's done with him

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

haha you think miro's done with him
well yeah he said he forgives him! and miro is known for keeping his word, in one fashion or another

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dynamite has been mostly really excellent for the last month and a half, legit have seen some of the best matches in the show's history as of late

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I saw Brian Cage referred to as Roid Mysterio earlier this evening and goddamn if that isn’t a perfect nickname.

For a hoss, he’s got moves.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

smarxist posted:

i dont know anything about njpw, really

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really hope they're done with the Kip stuff even if that forgiving hug was an awesome visual moment.

Maybe come back to it later after Miro has had a belt and decides he needs an unwilling tag partner to go for the belts with.

DLC Inc posted:

Dynamite has been mostly really excellent for the last month and a half, legit have seen some of the best matches in the show's history as of late
The pacing is so good, it goes so smoothly with great matches the way through, they've real gotten the formula down.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gonz posted:

For a hoss, he’s got moves.

yeah the dude did a standing moonsault. like what

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

All I want right now is for Miro to take the TNT Title and do the post-match “respect fist bump and hug with Darby, who’s still down and out on the map.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Cage/Page was the perfect template for how you book a squash without completely burying the losing wrestler

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

Made in Japan, Shingo Takagi's finisher because Penta is on the record as a Shingo mark.
gently caress, I don't care how or where or what circumstances are necessary for it to happen, but I NEED a Penta/Shingo match.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

gently caress, I don't care how or where or what circumstances are necessary for it to happen, but I NEED a Penta/Shingo match.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Cage/Page was the perfect template for how you book a squash without completely burying the losing wrestler

Yeah i don't feel like Hangman lost anything from that, Cage is a monster and even without being jumped he could have lost and it not been a surprise, building it the other way puts Cage way over on the heel side and adds another great wrinkle to Hangman's challenges to iron out before he can chase Kenny

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

this is my favorite post.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

If and hopefully when Nagata has a match with someone else on I dunno Elevation, what are everyone’s dream Blue Dad vs AEW roster match-ups? Maybe not including anyone he’s wrestled before

I would enjoy the probably massively weird dynamic of Nagata vs OC

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 29, 2021

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
miro's character lately has the energy of that best friends interview with teddy hart where the whole time the room feels like its on edge because teddy could loving snap at any moment. which is to say its incredibly compelling and a little scary to watch.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

a cyborg mug posted:

If and hopefully when Nagata has a match with someone else on I dunno Elevation, what are everyone’s dream Blue Dad vs AEW roster match-ups? Maybe not including anyone he’s wrestled before

I would enjoy the probably massively weird dynamic of Nagata vs OC

Blue Dad vs Blue Dad (Dustin)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

BRB, lighting the fuse. It's amazing how fresh and new AEW matches always feel. So many combos we've never seen, such as...

1) Hangman Page vs Brian Cage. And this is a schmozz before we start. Hook in a vest, Team FTW killing everyone, Dark Order killing everyone else. I guess it's a good way to stop me waiting for the interference shoe to drop. Cage is going strong style as gently caress here, just clouting Page across the face with big meaty fists. When he gets moving he's genuinely terrifying to watch, and Adam Page is the perfect opponent for him. And that Page fightback, just beautiful. Everything he does looks good, everything he does looks hard fought. Sidebar: I love how anxious Taz gets on commentary. This is a really good short match that... what? Cage wins? Holy gently caress. I did not expect this and it could be really interesting.

Elite group promo in a limo. Nice build up to a horn joke. Lsiten to me carefully you motherfather. Kingston versus Nakazawa later? Okay.

2) Bucks vs Sydals. Nice Douchewear from the Bucks. Fun bullying start to this match. Some well put together stuff from the Sydals, especially that beautiful drop toehold dropkick combo. Bucks are such natural dogshit heels. Both teams have excellent tandem offense. Hahaha, we get Twin Magic! This is so dumb! Knox acting as a stooge is superb. Love the stereo Meteora from the Sydals, love the double huricanrana, lots of nice meaty near threes to bite on. Kesis, Matt Sydal just got assassinated in that corner spot. Decent dirty finish and the Bucks win, as we get Cutler on Young Boy duties.

SCU out. Kaz getting in some awesome stuff on the mic. Wrestledads bringing fire to this one. Really good rugged face promo. Albeit one that doesn't make it feel like SCU are winning.

Jade Cargill gives basically the same promo as last week, only this time in a lumberjack shirt.

3) Orange Cassidy vs Penta El Zero. Hahaha, Alex's douchewear is Bucks-level. And we're off to mime city. Taunt spam vs taunt spam. Alex caught the glove! Trent absolutely hosed the glasses catch! Match of the epoch so far. Cassidy as a reversal and counter expert is lovely. It's undoubtedly an Orange Cassidy match, but by god is it a Penta match too. At some point they've got to give me Penta with a title. He's so good. He's SO good. Cassidy has some serious blows in him when he needs them. This is one of Cassidy's best singles matches ever. In the background KiLynn King is so excited that she's standing on her chair to see better. Jesus, Penta's bootprint is visible in Cassidy's skull after that one. Wow, Cassidy is reaching so far into his bag of tricks that he's gone through a hole in the bottom and is picking Penta's pocket. We get an Alex distraction and bump which is good but should have been a "and the Fast and the Furious movies suck!" line. And... HE WINS! Orange Cassidy just beat Penta El Zero Miedo in the year of our court two thousand and by god twenty one. So we've got a new number one ranked competitor in the men's division

Toney interviewing Britt, which is fun and well made.

Toney introduces the Pinnacle / Inner Circle parley. So we cut from Toney to Toney to Toney. Ahahaha, the silly Inner Circle bike entrance, you crowd of middle aged goobers. Chris Jericho's idea of what is cool is wedged firmly in 1993 and is never moving on from there. Okay, so we get two minute entrances, meaning that we have 20 minutes of intro match. This is a... good Spears promo? He sounds... menacing? I'm as confused as anyone. MJF looking away on the "You were a failure where you used to work too" from Sammy was funny. Santana is King Babyface. MJF working in that Jericho looks drunk as gently caress. Better Jericho promo this week too. Bit of a meh ending to it, but this got me fired up. This is going to be a super fun bullshit match.

4) Eddie Kingston vs Michael Nakazawa? Nakazawa bringing his backstage producer stuff from Elevation to here. "You get the goons, Eddie". No ref out here? Is this even a match? Cutler gets sent out too, literally thrown out by someone backstage. And "someone" is Moxley. This is a fun dumb violent segment. And we get Omega and Nakazawa against Kingston and Moxlley next week. Okay!

Sammy out with cue cards. He's a very very good douchey face.

Taz and Christian segment. Christian makes some pretty valid points about Taz's bitterness.

5) Penelope Ford vs Kris Statlander. Kris continues to look fantastic. Hot start. Absurd power from Kris, some wily desperations spots from Penelope. Neatly done dodge when Penelope hit the apron knees first. Ford is still someone who as a wrestler makes an astounding manager but she's hitting herder, she's stringing things together better, and her matches are more exciting. Compared to this time last year her in-ring is distinctly improved. Problem is that the whole division has improved so much in that time. Anyway, this is good and Kris is dominant. She's shaken off most of her ring rust, and is doing some great sneaky stuff. Catching Ford in the rope handspring was great. Deserved win.

Post match... nothing? No Miro? Oh...

6) QT Marshall, Nick Comoroto, and Anthony Ogogo vs Lee Johnson, Dustin Rhodes, and Billy Gunn. Ahahaha loving hell they stole Cody's stupid loving bus. I love it. We start with a donnybrook, everyone fighting everyone. Comoroto has tassels now. Comoroto just EATS some lariats from Dustin and spits them out. I like QT's blue gear. Solow seems to be the designated punishment taker for the Factory, which is a shame as he has some really decent moves. and very good strikes. Really enjoy the Shotty/Solow stuff. I really want to see these two given fifteen minutes and told to just go apeshit. Corkscrew tope from Johnson looks great. This is a very fun house show-y six man, with QT swooping in for the win. Yeah, I liked this.

And then QT gets attacked by the Scrappy Doos of the Nightmare Family. And Cody is lurking in the bus. Of course. So this story keeps rolling, which is fun. Oh no, QT is on the top of a bus. This seems like a really bad idea. It was, but not for the reasons I was thinking.

OH HOLY gently caress. IWGP US TITLE ON DYNAMITE! MOXLEY AGAINST BLUE JUSTICE!

And we get the Kip / Miro thing finally. And it's as simple as Kip getting flat out murdered. Okay, cool. Kip's hand gets broken in a door. That weird hug at the end was so loving scary.

7) 10 vs Darby Allin. I am worn out by tonight, so much stuff. And now we get to a strength vs speed main event, and that's going to be great. 10 isn't super fast, but he is super solid and strong. There's something a bit disconnected about this match. Lots of nice spots done well, but there isn't quite enough connective tissue. Once both guys are warmed up and a bit looser things get better, it just felt like 10 was in his own head for a bit of this. Single arm powerbomb was impressive. 10 selling the bum arm well, and Darby is doing a great job of countering it. Nice respect spot with Sting ad the Dark Order... but then Ethan Page gets involved! I love the conflict here, does he pick up the leftovers? I guess he tries. Leave his mask alone, Darby! 10 shaking Darby like a dog with a rat but somehow SOMEHOW Darby rolls this though to a pin! This started on shaky legs, but by the end this match was running fast. Post match Page and Sky attack. Which is fine, let's set up a tag match here and have that lead to a TNT title match for one of them. Archer and 10 for the save. Okay, cool.

This was a good, crowded show with lots built and lots to love.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

shiksa posted:

miro's character lately has the energy of that best friends interview with teddy hart where the whole time the room feels like its on edge because teddy could loving snap at any moment. which is to say its incredibly compelling and a little scary to watch.

you can see them clearly going “oh god this was a mistake but we can’t just end it right now because he’ll kill us or something” and it’s... a lot.

Recently watched their interview with the Hollywood Honk and the sheer Himbo energy was such a wonder to behold.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Haven't finished the episode quite yet, but I just saw a thing and felt I had to get something off my chest, so here goes:

BLUE

loving

JUSTICE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

*clears throat*

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1387582772802379777

LET'S

loving

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Guess I have to watch an upcoming episode of Dynamite then

graph posted:

Only one of the maybe 3 best wrestlers in the world today. Shingo Takagi is cool.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jesus Miro is terrifying :stonk:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SHINGO, not SHANGO!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i will never accept shingo takagi as a njpw wrestler

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
he's wrestling right now!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ace episode this week, definitely one of the best this year, if not overall. I can't think of a single bad thing on the entire show.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

what was the sequence of events that led to the factory stealing cody's bus. did they steal it from his driveway or did they find it at daly's and somehow not connect the dots that cody's bus being there meant cody was probably also around. did he leave the keys in it or does qt marshall know how to hotwire an engine. these are the questions that keep me up at night

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

John Dudebro posted:

what was the sequence of events that led to the factory stealing cody's bus. did they steal it from his driveway or did they find it at daly's and somehow not connect the dots that cody's bus being there meant cody was probably also around. did he leave the keys in it or does qt marshall know how to hotwire an engine. these are the questions that keep me up at night

Presumably the lease on the bus was made out to the Nightmare Factory, so when QT commandeered the school he also got the bus keys?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you @ Tony on Twitter he'll reference his extensive show lore notes to tell you exactly how

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

John Dudebro posted:

we'll cover all this on the next episode of AEW Bus

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cody stuff on Dynamite always feels like it's happening in a pocket universe of its own, connected to Main Dynamite but apart from it. Partly it's that people in the Codyverse don't interact much with people outside of it, but there's also a distinct and different flavour to the booking.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I goddam love Max Caster and his big weirdo energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Penguin Patrol posted:

They never actually flipped the coin, did they? Spears and Sammy said they'd go first, but that doesn't answer the question of advantage. I assume it'll be pinnacle but I don't remember them actually saying that.

The heels obviously need to have the advantage because otherwise the dynamic makes no sense, so there was never going to be a coinflip.