Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Could we maybe get a more focused explanation on why this is getting a new thread in TYOOL 2021. What has changed, specifically, recently, that's worth getting hype about.

Not doubting you but that part seemed a little light on the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Good posts

Thanks folks. This is good material to make a case to Friends (tm) for loving about. :)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wow I am mediocre but I’m getting back in the swing. Any recommendations for good Medic weapons? Close to mid range I guess since that seems to be where most engagements happen for a Medic. Using a Terminus right now but not 100% sold on it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Same. Everyone in this game is an aim god who can land perfect headshots at 100 meters with a carbine.

I'm too old for thiiiiis.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

I will say, personally, that the starting sniper rifle is utter garbage (at least for vs). You need at least a headshot+bodyshot to kill anyone, if not 2 headshots, and if you're hitting body good luck killing them first. Spend 650 space widgets on your factions bolt action sniper. If you get a headshot you'll 1-shot anything outside of a heavy with a fresh overshield (maybe still 1-shot at close range?) or a max, and most other enemies you can bodyshot+swap to pistol and spam down if they're close.

Iirc the starting shotgun is kind of crap too but its been forever since I played with it. I do think each class of weapon has a 650 option that will be a different style (ie pump instead of auto, bolt-action instead of semi-auto, etc).

In addition to what the other people said about playing during an alert, you get certs via experience gained. So ghost capping some bases doesn't give that much exp, so you don't get a lot of certs. Starting unlock levels of abilities and such are like 10 certs each usually, and you can get them up to 3-4 with around 300-500, which is easily enough to compete with people who have them finished. You want to do stuff that gives xp, so killing, reviving, resupplying, having a sunderer deployed, earning ribbons, etc all can be giving a good amount of exp. If you are base capping, playing an infiltrator will let you hack terminals and turrets which can get you more exp, and then waiting on the point will give you a small amount extra as well.

Also, check your missions, which is in a tab buried like 3 deep. As a non-member you get 3 per day, and you should start out with some stuff similar to this:

So that's another 225 certs until you get through those missions, plus the missions give you 6000 exp, which is 24 more (250 exp for 1 cert). You also get 100 for each rank, which is another decent chunk early on. Unless something has changed since campaign 1, you can sometimes get weapon unlocks as mission rewards as well.

For example, I just started a new guy on emerald, ran through the training thing (which I hadn't seen before and is overall not too bad of a tutorial), grabbed medic, tooled around 10-15 minutes, leveled my heal gun a couple ranks, joined one of those skt pubbie squads for an alert, and netted around 1300-1400 certs (no membership or other boosts). Someone newer would be slower, and it slows down after you get through some of the early sources of certs, but in general if you focus on 1 thing at a time you should be able to make steady progress just by playing and farting around without trying hard to 'farm certs'.

Implants are an annoying different story, finding good cert farming fights so you can play gatcha is probably what you need to do, since you otherwise basically only get iso-4 from alerts.

Well that answers the question I was gonna ask. Man ISO seems like an insane dripfeed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In today’s climate, to no one’s great surprise, the literal nazi faction attracts a lot of literal nazis yes.

It was still more than I expected. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

I haven't played for a few years, were the TR always like a nazi faction? I just remember them as, like, the government or whatever. Either way I think I'll be playing NC in an attempt to avoid those kinds of people.

Yes. TR has always been coded as a tyrannical fascist state, their aesthetic became even more fash between PS1 and PS2