Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

The new thing I'm trying, to get better at art, is only drawing the comic in colors I can see. Ooooh, aaaaah.

The defiant jerk in me says you should do a panel in only colors you can't see...
But enjoying the weird turns off this arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

If people speculate, or comment, I will be dead silent, because this is like, my grand reveal, and I do not want to even HINT at the next plot beats. but I definitely want to hear your thoughts.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 1, 2022

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Now I’ll need to go back and re-read everything, paying careful attention to what’s Lydia’s storytelling (almost everything?) vs. what’s known to be true, while also looking out for anything else that doesn’t add up.

It was clear something was going on when Lydia mentioned how long they’ve been in the simulation and how many resets that must have been. At the time my guess would have been that there was some memory or realization that made Casey want to die or give up, but now I’m not so sure.

Maybe there’s some memory or piece of information Lydia needs to get from Casey, maybe something Xom wants to know in exchange for a promise of a happy future together if she succeeds, and dire consequences if she fails. And Casey keeps figuring it out and refusing to go along.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I suspected something sorta like this might have been happening!

I'm curious, is the decision to change the palette purely practical or is it meant to parallel with Casey's return to reality?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I suspected something sorta like this might have been happening!

I'm curious, is the decision to change the palette purely practical or is it meant to parallel with Casey's return to reality?

I was going to do it a few updates before I did, and then I was like, "Do it with the new episode," and THEN I was like "Oh gently caress, this actually just kind of pans out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lol nice, that works out perfectly because the colors up until now have given it like a cyber-neon dreamscape feel and now it feels like she's coming off a major high and the realization of how manipulated she was is directly affecting the reader's perception of the world in a similar way

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The fact that a lot of people kind of suspected this is making me so happy, because it means the foreshadowing is work. I know some authors whine about having their "twists" found out, but I think it's just a sign of it being consistent. A bad twist comes out of nowhere, and recontextualizes nothing. A good twist, you could probably guess or feel out before, or even right before it happens.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

After a re-read, one obvious and glaring clue is that Lydia says Casey was flashing green when they met, meaning Lydia probably had to subdue her and find a heart for her. But in the retelling they meet peacefully and Casey is solid red. And it seems like there's a strong possibility that Casey used to be Blue, the ghost running the tech for the closer militia police force. But there's probably a lot that I'm still missing, I never would have expected prison to be part of it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

A bad twist comes out of nowhere, and recontextualizes nothing. A good twist, you could probably guess or feel out before, or even right before it happens.

:agreed:

At some point this week I'm gonna go back and reread with the twist in mind. I love that kind of stuff :D

My absolute favorite twist like that is from the Good Place. If you haven't seen it yet I won't say anything, just that there's a twist later on that completely recontextualizes the first season when you go back and rewatch it and it's incredible. Twists that do that are :kiss:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Trigger Warning: Suicide Metaphor

Steppe Into The Ring - 07 - 05 - Xom Roars With Laughter!

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 4, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Steppe Into The Ring - 07 - 06 - im melting lydia

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Steppe Into The Ring - 07 - 07 - It’ll never stop

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Steppe Into The Ring - 07 - 08 - Bad People

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Steppe Into The Ring - 07 - 09 - Scarred

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was going to ask this in the PYF thread, but honestly, it must be annoying how dominating I can be with my stuff sometimes, but did the twist work? Did it land? Is there intrigue? Was it worth 100 confusing pages?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It landed! But it also turned my opinion of Lydia a bit. I'm going to have to re-read with this twist in mind and let it settle for a bit but if I was in Casey's position, well I'm not sure what exactly I'd do but I definitely wouldn't be carrying on a long conversation with her that's for sure lol

e: I think it's worth the buildup. I think there's things that could be/have been done better (but that's true of like, just about everything) but I think it works well :)

e2: and I hear ya about worrying about dominating the thread lol. I hold back comments so often because I don't want to feel like I'm just constantly dominating the conversation and trying to be the main character and that was even before I checked the top posters list last week and saw I was in #1 by a couple hundred lmao

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 7, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Well like, you have one person to talk too, you know your mind is hosed, and you know you love this person who hurt you. You're confused, and angry, and hurt, and alone. There's a reason why gaslighting is very effective on people with certain disorders. Lydia is definitely not a great person, even if she really really wants to present herself as such.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Steppe Into The Ring - 07 - 10 - Jobs

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Steppe Into The Ring - 07 - 11 - Transformation

Alternate style I'm working on thoughts?:

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 9, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
07 - 12 - Consumed

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
07 - 13 - malB

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
07 - 14 - Daemons

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

07 - 14 - Daemons

Today's comic is going up early, because I have a ton of errands tomorrow and might not get to the computer in time. I loathe to break my 19 day streak, but I probably won't be able to post Sunday.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think the next comic is going to be an isekai in the same universe. This actually might be done in a year or two if I do 100 pages every 5 months.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oof, just missed it, oh no.

07 - 15 - Kreteks

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
07 - 16 Under Pressure

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
07 - 17 New Teeth New Me

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

07 - 17 New Teeth New Me

Did she pick those teeth, or did they just grow for her?

Seriously though, keep it up

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Post poste posted:

Did she pick those teeth, or did they just grow for her?

Seriously though, keep it up

The teeth are a gift from Xom.

07 - END

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
08 - 01 - Taming Casey

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
08 - 02 - Two wild beasts glaring and pouncing at each other.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
08 - 03 - Spooky

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Going to take Sunday off because my wrist is twinging a little bit and I don't want to push it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A new isekai called "so I draw a comic and my wrist turned into a slime girl." Let's avoid that!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
08 - 04 - Anime is blood

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
08 - 05 - People Person

No more pink paper because we're no longer wearing rose colored glasses about their past.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 24, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was wondering if I could collect anonymous feedback, that way I can't write like a million words about it, and dominate the thread or have people be like "I don't want people yelling at me for not liking thing."

If you read my comic, or you fell off, or if you just want to help me get better at writing, can you tell me what you think in general?

https://forms.gle/EGCKcwJ6hRtwAo5R8