Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm very glad it was Oweh instead of Rousseau. Based on the vague language it sounds like they were actually higher on Rousseau than Oweh, in which case thank you Buffalo. It'll be very interesting to see who ends up the best player of Rousseau, Oweh, and Tryon given they went 123.
The Bills, for their part, seem to value athleticism and other intangibles highly. It’s become a distinct pattern in their drafting since Beane took over as GM. They’ve drafted very few “finished product”-type players.
So far, it’s been working fairly well though, but they won’t win them all. I forget where I saw it, but they additionally supposedly didn’t consider CB an area of concern at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Bills, for their part, seem to value athleticism and other intangibles highly. It’s become a distinct pattern in their drafting since Beane took over as GM. They’ve drafted very few “finished product”-type players.
So far, it’s been working fairly well though, but they won’t win them all. I forget where I saw it, but they additionally supposedly didn’t consider CB an area of concern at all.

Odd that they'd consider Rousseau athletic he doesn't seem like it. Spencer Brown though holy poo poo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

It's the kinda bet that will probably stop paying off eventually.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

He’s not very athletic though?

Edit well he’s not unathletic. I guess I’d put him in the middle of the pack

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 10, 2021

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Well coached teams can take the athletic player, badly coached teams have to take the football player.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

kiimo posted:

The Ravens draft well.

I mean, they should have taken DK Metcalf but the entire league passed on him so

We draft ok but are a bit overrated and have never developed a drafted WR

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I liked Rousseau before the Bills drafted him. Feel like his production gets hand-waved away under flimsy pretenses because his broad jump sucks.

It's not hard to tell a story where he's unable to get past NFL linemen, but you're not going to find a Chase Young level prospect at pick 30. You can do worse than picking a guy with sone elite traits and production that still that has obvious (but coachable) room to grow.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Ravens hired a couple of new WR coaches that I'm pretty excited about. But by all accounts Bateman is very polished already

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

Nah, except WRs they indeed are one of few top teams in drafting and developing players

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

We were unreal from 96-08 but starting with the Oher pick we came a bit back to earth and kind of coast on that reputation today.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

We were unreal from 96-08 but starting with the Oher pick we came a bit back to earth and kind of coast on that reputation today.

wow, a decade of winning records and playoffs despite the front office coasting on reputation and average QB play. John Harbaugh must be a hell of a coach. Oh wait, you've fired him a hundred times in this forum.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think you're under weighting that 2018 draft. Obviously the story on those careers aren't fully told yet but a starting RT, starting TE, and MVP QB at 32 is nothing to sneeze at.

2011 was also a very good year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly having one or two really exceptional draft classes in a decade is more than enough to make you a good franchise if your coaching is competent.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think you're under weighting that 2018 draft. Obviously the story on those careers aren't fully told yet but a starting RT, starting TE, and MVP QB at 32 is nothing to sneeze at.

Oh I'm not saying we haven't had really good picks or years I'm saying that we don't really justify the current reputation of one of the very best. Obviously Lamar Jackson was amazing. But in that same draft Hayden Hurst was a bit of a whiff for a first round pick. Also Maxx Williams wasn't good. But then there's guys like Humphrey. So we're fine--just not what we used to be where it was like "oh, just a quality starter nothing special". I'm not saying we're bad just we're a little more middling than we were in those prime years.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AndrewP posted:

wow, a decade of winning records and playoffs despite the front office coasting on reputation and average QB play. John Harbaugh must be a hell of a coach. Oh wait, you've fired him a hundred times in this forum.

lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Even some of the drafts that look bad like 2013, with big misses on Elam and Arthur Brown, you still managed to find dudes like Brandon Williams, Ricky Wagner, Ryan Jensen, Kyle Juszczyk etc. This is in contrast to other teams drafts where literally every dude is out of the league in like 4 years. The drafting and development is pretty noticeably above league average.

Like, I'd say that 2010 is probably the worst draft out of the Harbaugh era and that still had Pitta and Art Jones. Even Ed Dickson somehow went on to have a (admittedly pretty mediocre) 9 year craeer.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Kawalimus is right.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s not very athletic though?

Edit well he’s not unathletic. I guess I’d put him in the middle of the pack
He is freakishly long though. The point is that Rousseau is pretty technically unrefined and inexperienced, and the Bills under Beane and McDermott seem to be confident that they can tap unrealized potential. Obviously that’s not always going to work, and even when it does, it’s probably not going to get immediate returns, which the Bills quite arguably should be more focused on given they were a game away from the Super Bowl last year.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If they're that confident I wonder why not go after the PSU DE instead. That guy with some coaching would be unstoppable.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

If they're that confident I wonder why not go after the PSU DE instead. That guy with some coaching would be unstoppable.

:hmmyes:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Just from reading the last 2 pages I would like to rate the Ravens Draft a B-

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I give the ravens draft an F.

Should've traded their picks for Case Keenum and moved Lamar to receiver.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Should've traded their picks for Case Keenum and moved Lamar to RB/Punt Returner.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I legit want to see lamaar return a coiple.kicks and punts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

I think I see the real problem.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wrs and dbs develop on their own and can't be influenced except by blunt force trauma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cavauro posted:

wrs and dbs develop on their own and can't be influenced except by blunt force trauma

You could argue Vontaze Burfict is the reason Antonio Brown got a ring.