Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That doesn't make sense. There isn't a "don't need it" because football is competition. The difference between 23rd best at your position and 16th is tens of millions of dollars.

BrianCushing.tif

suggs having neck acne at like 35 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

jj watt melts the cup that he pisses into, which is why he very smartly never gets busted for PEDs

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That doesn't make sense. There isn't a "don't need it" because football is competition. The difference between 23rd best at your position and 16th is tens of millions of dollars.

BrianCushing.tif

One of the funniest things to me is still one of the Westside for Skinny Bastards credit claiming Cushing at one point.

I guess he did totally nail the “do heroic amounts of TREN” portion of Westside.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Quinn Meinerz could outrun this entire thread and didn't even go to a D2 school. Some of these guys are just absolute freaks of nature.

The rest are on steroids

Its funny, my brother in law is a heck of an athlete, 6'8", D1 scholarship for Basketball, played professionally in Europe and Australia, and even played a little Aussie football. He admits that he would look like garbage on an NBA court and would have no shot making a team. The level that the pros are at is just an inhuman one.

Thrawn
Sep 10, 2004

I watched the UFC implement their USADA testing program & saw how many guys got popped, & the massive difference in physique just from being on something like TRT (Vitor Belfort anyone??).

That convinced me that approximately 100% of NFL players are unquestionably on something. Especially considering the NFL testing program is a joke compared to the UFC, as I understand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The UFC's testing protocol is also a joke :ssh:

All professional athletes do whatever they can get away with to stay ahead. It's a built in part of the game.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
if you ain't cheating...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What's testing for PEDs like in NCAA? I know pretty much any worthwhile high school athlete uses something to make it into college.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DariusLikewise posted:

What's testing for PEDs like in NCAA? I know pretty much any worthwhile high school athlete uses something to make it into college.

Effectively nonexistent.

Remember when that punter got called in for a PED test after he leveled a returner?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is a cool article about how the panthers ran their draft.

https://twitter.com/daringantt/status/1390733713747726345?s=21

Lots of info on how they physically set up the room, how they clumped the players, how they were trying to find value etc.

Also bunches of tidbits about the negotiations with other teams. Most notably they traded up for Terrace Marshall because the learned that the saints were going to take him at 90, and the panthers had him graded as a first rounder.

If you believe the saints were trying to trade up for Jaycee horn too then lmao

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
They thought the Saints would take him at 90 so they traded up to 59?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

They thought the Saints would take him at 90 so they traded up to 59?

Sixty, sorry.

quote:

Christensen was probably going to be the guy at 59, and there was a deal cooking that could have moved them back on the clock within a few spots to take LSU wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr.. Marshall was quickly becoming one of those guys whose name was beginning to stick out on the board, with not much space above him, but a lot of space below at his position. He was becoming a value guy. Then someone got a call that the Saints were about to take Marshall 60th overall, and the Panthers shifted gears, taking Marshall in the 59th spot instead.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd really like to know more details about that call. The draft seems such a rich opportunity for corporate espionage and graft. How did they get that information and why did they believe it, you know?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Other than winning a Super Bowl, there's probably no better feeling than sniping a player that a divisional rival wanted.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
drat Panthers :argh:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd really like to know more details about that call. The draft seems such a rich opportunity for corporate espionage and graft. How did they get that information and why did they believe it, you know?

Gotta think that would gently caress you over long term.

Unless you’re like Belichick taking advantage of a senile al Davis.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The Puppy Bowl posted:

yeah and why would you ever admit that you received a secret call with a scoop on your rival in the first place if it was legit

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

EmbryoSteve posted:

yeah and why would you ever admit that you received a secret call with a scoop on your rival in the first place if it was legit

Rubbing salt into the wound is the loving best.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
No one knows if any of this is true but gently caress it, I want to believe.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Payton did trade back into the draft last year just to draft that QB so that the Panthers wouldn't get him as a UDFA.

Then we cut him anyway.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
and he's now on the Panthers.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Silly Burrito posted:

drat Panthers :argh:

consider this payback for Vonn Bell

except hopefully this player ends up being good

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
To smart to be coached that explains it!

https://news.yahoo.com/justin-fields-scored-highest-rating-111403389.html

quote:

Back in early April, former Bears quarterback Mark Sanchez appeared on the Pat McAfee Show, where he discussed the ridiculous rumors about Fields’ football intelligence and how it affected his draft stock. In case you needed any indication that it was absolutely bogus, according to Sanchez, Fields scored the highest rating ever on an aptitude test administered by sports psychologist, Dr. Goldman.

The test has been given to over 6,500 professional athletes, and Fields scored in the top 1%. This test focused on the reps needed to learn something and then the ability to recall that later.

For comparison sake, Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen each scored a 108. Fields scored a 130.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

do we know what mitch's score was

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

R.D. Mangles posted:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

extremely funny to me for some reason to refer to sanchez as "former bears quarterback"

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

kidcoelacanth posted:

extremely funny to me for some reason to refer to sanchez as "former bears quarterback"

He kinda is the Uber-Bears QB

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How the hell do I not remember mark Sanchez being on the bears

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mark Sanchez is the quintessential Jet and should have a statue in front of the stadium like noted murderer Ray Lewis has in M&T

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

His playtime total was two drives in preseason, he got hurt months before, he didn't appear at all in the regular season, and then in the offseason he got popped for PEDs

So,

Hizawk posted:

He kinda is the Uber-Bears QB

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Mark Sanchez is the quintessential Jet and should have a statue in front of the stadium like noted murderer Ray Lewis has in M&T

The winningest QB in the playoffs in Jets history.

"In fact, Sanchez's four playoff wins are twice as many as any Jets quarterback in their history, including Joe Namath."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mystic Stylez posted:

A marble statue of the Buttfumble belongs in a museum.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

he was there to mentor mitch and honestly he taught him everything he knew (how to just get owned and memed).

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nervous posted:

The winningest QB in the playoffs in Jets history.

"In fact, Sanchez's four playoff wins are twice as many as any Jets quarterback in their history, including Joe Namath."

Jfc lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://theathletic.com/2573901/202...nd-roster-talk/

Some draft tidbits:

- Ravens didn't expect Bateman to be there at 27

- Graded Rousseau and Oweh similarly and would have probably taken one of them at 27 if Bateman wasn't there.

- Ravens apparently didn't love this OT class and probably would have only considered Darrisaw if available in the first. Didn't have first-round grades on Leatherwood or Jenkins. (there were reports saying Baltimore wanted Leatherwood)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
[quote[
There have been multiple reports that the Ravens would have taken Alabama offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood at pick 27 had the Raiders not selected him at 17. That’s not my understanding of the situation. Per sources, the Ravens would have been intrigued if Virginia Tech tackle Christian Darrisaw was there at 27, but he was taken 23rd by the Minnesota Vikings. Otherwise, the Ravens weren’t targeting Leatherwood (even if he had been available) or any of the other offensive linemen with either the 27th or 31st pick
[/quote]

Lmao

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Ravens draft well.

I mean, they should have taken DK Metcalf but the entire league passed on him so

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm just too high on him but I doubt Leatherwood would have made it out of the first round. There were very few prospects after him that had the length he did, I feel like somebody would have taken him before 33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AndrewP posted:

https://theathletic.com/2573901/202...nd-roster-talk/

Some draft tidbits:

- Ravens didn't expect Bateman to be there at 27

- Graded Rousseau and Oweh similarly and would have probably taken one of them at 27 if Bateman wasn't there.

- Ravens apparently didn't love this OT class and probably would have only considered Darrisaw if available in the first. Didn't have first-round grades on Leatherwood or Jenkins. (there were reports saying Baltimore wanted Leatherwood)

I'm very glad it was Oweh instead of Rousseau. Based on the vague language it sounds like they were actually higher on Rousseau than Oweh, in which case thank you Buffalo. It'll be very interesting to see who ends up the best player of Rousseau, Oweh, and Tryon given they went 123.