Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I finally,t got round to starting this and I’m hitting a wall against Phrike. I can go in with an astronaut, level 4 carbine with trackerswarm, but I just can’t get it halfway to the end of its third phase. I’m trying to prioritise getting resin to boost myself up, (and have auto run and auto aim cranked) but is there anything big I’m missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Red Oktober posted:

I finally,t got round to starting this and I’m hitting a wall against Phrike. I can go in with an astronaut, level 4 carbine with trackerswarm, but I just can’t get it halfway to the end of its third phase. I’m trying to prioritise getting resin to boost myself up, (and have auto run and auto aim cranked) but is there anything big I’m missing?

It really depends on how your struggling but I'd suggest not sleeping on jumping. For a bit I always was trying to dash through certain projectiles but jumping is actually really important too

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Learn the swipe pattern.

Dodge through stuff (forward if you can)

Melee if possible.

Prioritize head shots.

Use special shot ASAP and every chance you get.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Some generally useful tips;

Make sure not to aim down sights, it's a noob trap. Hip fire and get friendly with dodging.

Just keep playing and unlocking and upgrading stuff. You may not realize it, but you are progressing a bunch of passive things that will expand your options and survivability as you play.

Don't sleep on feeding some of the permanent currency to the weird obelisk in the starting room. I believe that unlocks more items for the item pool in addition to just giving you one to start with.

Chests don't roll their item until you unlock them, so if you have a weapon you're doing okay with, leave the chests until you're leveled up. That way, when you open them, they're rolled at your current, highest proficiency, and you have more options for what to take into the boss fight.

Pay attention to parasites and malignant pick-ups/chests. They are quite often worth picking up and dealing with the downside, as you can get some extremely synergistic builds running by using them judiciously.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Red Oktober posted:

Been too long since I played to offer any real advice, but I got stuck on Phrike for ages too. Once I finally did it the rest of the game was relatively painless. Keep at it!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Thanks all - sounds like I’m mostly doing it right and just need a few more tries. The one thing I had been doing was saving Ether for the resurrection machine - but last time I died with Phrike on its last bar I found that it takes you back to the start of the fight 3 bars) so I won’t use that next time - I’ll put Ether into the machine at the start again.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I will say that the good thing about Phrike, specifically, is that once you beat them a couple times, you essentially become utterly immune to their poo poo and will barely ever take damage from them again. A lot of this game is that way, actually, but Phrike in particular will become your punching bag and you'll laugh when you remember the extended period where they seemed undefeatable.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m pretty hosed off right now. Had a good gun, adrenaline leech, reviving parasite and a good amount of integrity, so suspended cycle and closed the game before trying Phrike. And now I’m back at the ship? What the hell game? My save backs up to cloud and it’s the same.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Red Oktober posted:

I’m pretty hosed off right now. Had a good gun, adrenaline leech, reviving parasite and a good amount of integrity, so suspended cycle and closed the game before trying Phrike. And now I’m back at the ship? What the hell game? My save backs up to cloud and it’s the same.

It may not be this way now, but I recall before that even if you suspended the cycle, if the app was closed/the PS5 or whatever turned off, it wouldn’t keep the cycle. You had to leave the game “open” and put the PS5 in rest and hope the system didn’t update (which closes all the apps).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That has been fixed but I think I must have forgotten to do the “safely exit the game”.

At any rate, finally beat Phrike. Realised that the key to this game seems to be to keep at 5 adrenaline at all costs. Everything just snowfalls - more proficiency, more obolites.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

That has been fixed but I think I must have forgotten to do the “safely exit the game”.

At any rate, finally beat Phrike. Realised that the key to this game seems to be to keep at 5 adrenaline at all costs. Everything just snowfalls - more proficiency, more obolites.

^^^^ This is it, this is the business. The game doesn't really tell you this, but the benefits of doing "play fast and don't gently caress up" are massive, and I think the game is kinda built around the idea that you're doing that as much as possible to accrue sufficient resources.

Anyway I'm really excited to see how you like the other bosses and zones, keep us updated! The metroidvania upgrade you get in the next section opens this game WIDE up and will totally change how you play.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Through the wastes in something like 4 attempts. Three times to Ixion, the first two just doing some thinking and realised that bringing Voidbeam into the fight would pretty much solve it. It was attached to Hollowseeker which wasn’t really a great damage gun for the boss but didn’t matter as I could just dodge while charging Voidbeam.

I’m guess the upgrade mentioned above is the grapple! That’s certainly making the return to the forest more fun!

Going to play through first two biomes a bit with it before heading to the next!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Through the wastes in something like 4 attempts. Three times to Ixion, the first two just doing some thinking and realised that bringing Voidbeam into the fight would pretty much solve it. It was attached to Hollowseeker which wasn’t really a great damage gun for the boss but didn’t matter as I could just dodge while charging Voidbeam.

I’m guess the upgrade mentioned above is the grapple! That’s certainly making the return to the forest more fun!

Going to play through first two biomes a bit with it before heading to the next!

Yeah the grapple hook makes the gameplay loop feel really different. Suddenly you're extremely agile and can change height and positioning on a dime. Super helpful for trying to deal with really powerful enemies that get up in your face.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/1784895491123405216?t=s7LiV6skk4wrspu-ey0x8Q&s=19

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
While I'd love a sequel I dont think this game sold very well. Another DLC maybe?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Looks like it's a new comic book and cartoon, along with an art book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That’s something they should not have teased. It’s only going to lead to disappointment.