Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Are you cleaning biome 4 first? Nothing should be able to 2-shot you if you've grabbed any extra max health at all

I play 4 until the shop room, sometimes I do a bit more if I just need a small amount of currency to buy something nice before rushing past the boss room entrance to get to the biome 5 portal. The alien dudes and the purple beams/circles pack quite a punch. Even when I have a good extra chunk of max life, 2-3 hits is enough to at least get me to critical levels.

Clearing biome 4 100% (besides the boss I guess) will just piss me off more when my runs take 2h+ just to die as quickly in biome 5.

Trying to read up on some tips for biome 5 is just demoralizing. So many people going "oh I beat it first time" and people beating the game in less than 15 hours.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Common advice for console version was turn aim assist up to high. Tons of us played it that way, it's way better. Never use the half-press aiming mode either, spray bullets and focus on dodge, this is a bullet hell game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Also turn on always sprint if you haven't already. Outside of maybe a handful of platforming sections you want to be moving as fast as possible.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Hemish posted:

I play 4 until the shop room, sometimes I do a bit more if I just need a small amount of currency to buy something nice before rushing past the boss room entrance to get to the biome 5 portal. The alien dudes and the purple beams/circles pack quite a punch. Even when I have a good extra chunk of max life, 2-3 hits is enough to at least get me to critical levels.

Clearing biome 4 100% (besides the boss I guess) will just piss me off more when my runs take 2h+ just to die as quickly in biome 5.

Trying to read up on some tips for biome 5 is just demoralizing. So many people going "oh I beat it first time" and people beating the game in less than 15 hours.

If it makes you feel any better:

I just rolled credits finally on run #98 after having set the game down for over a year having never beaten Biome 4, and picking it back up about a month ago (or whenever it came out for PC and people started posting in this thread again). Lucking into the right build made all the difference for me. Winning build spoiled just in case we have newbies who don’t want to know:

Level 24 Hollowseeker with level 2 Portal Beam and level 2 Serrated Projectiles, but the real key was Unfed Pod which I pulled early in Biome 4 and found five parasites to grab to get 100% stagger damage. Don’t think that worked on the final boss the same way, but I still only got hit I believe three times total in the final battle- ended with over 100% integrity left.

Don’t give up- if I can do it, you can do it! :)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hello thread. This game was so loving good.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Common advice for console version was turn aim assist up to high. Tons of us played it that way, it's way better. Never use the half-press aiming mode either, spray bullets and focus on dodge, this is a bullet hell game.

I'm playing with an Xbox controller so no half press but yes, somewhere around biome 2-3 it clicked that I should stop aiming down sight so much to hit stuff and forced myself to get used to hip firing.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Also turn on always sprint if you haven't already. Outside of maybe a handful of platforming sections you want to be moving as fast as possible.

I tried that for a while as recommended here or somewhere else when I was stuck on Ixion. It made me suck a lot more at platforming and eating the laser beams and falling even more off the map so I had to turn it off.

Referee posted:

If it makes you feel any better:

I just rolled credits finally on run #98 after having set the game down for over a year having never beaten Biome 4, and picking it back up about a month ago (or whenever it came out for PC and people started posting in this thread again). Lucking into the right build made all the difference for me. Winning build spoiled just in case we have newbies who don’t want to know:

Level 24 Hollowseeker with level 2 Portal Beam and level 2 Serrated Projectiles, but the real key was Unfed Pod which I pulled early in Biome 4 and found five parasites to grab to get 100% stagger damage. Don’t think that worked on the final boss the same way, but I still only got hit I believe three times total in the final battle- ended with over 100% integrity left.

Don’t give up- if I can do it, you can do it! :)

The best biome 5 run I described here yesterday had one of those Unfed Pod. I had 3 parasites because I couldn't find ones with a good "good/bad" effect like I will NEVER take the increase melee/dash cooldown and the game love to give me that. Or lower repair by 30% when I constantly need healing because I suck rear end. Spoiler on the effect of that artefact just in case : at 100%, does it stagger everything with 1 hit? Are you basically stun locking the monsters if you have a fast weapon?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Stagger is a bar that fills up, when it maxes out enemies get knocked down for a good long time and take bonus damage. I don't think you can stunlock them, they don't re-stagger while the bar is emptying and I think there might be an internal cooldown before it starts filling up again afterwards, although I'm not sure since enemies are usually dead by then.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Wanted to try out the multiplayer in this and ended up playing for two hours in what might have been the guy's first run. Didn't even have the melee attack yet, we managed to get through to act 2 and reach Ixion's second form before we both got downed. Would have been able to revive him with a split second more, figured it was a long shot since we both entered the fight with low health and didn't have anything interesting for weapons. Not sure if scout level actually does anything but it's fun to tag along and play support for people just starting out.

I don't know if there's a way of using text chat but pinging items or doors with Alt was generally good enough. They need a Rock and Stone equivalent for when you get through a boss or difficult fight.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I tried multiplayer with a pubby for the first time not too long ago. They didn't have the hookshot yet, and gang? I don't think they're ever gonna get it. They played the game like a speedrunner who didn't know who to play the game well. Just sprinting straight to Biome 2 and then straight to Ixion. No exploration, no gearing up, just straight to the boss where they fed themselves to it five times as I continually revived them. Then I go down for the first time after fifteen minutes of this boss fight and they immediately disconnect.

Smdh this fool is NOT escaping the cycle

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sounds like they were smart and picked up the equivalent of five astros and almost beat Ixion :smugmrgw:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I haven’t done any of the coop to help people. I might try it out on the weekend. Whenever I did that for souls games I’d pray for the ability to tell someone to stand in the corner while I did it for them because they’d just rush to their deaths

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Personally I don’t understand people that rush through biomes. I play the game to play the game so I clear out every single room because it’s fun. It’s how I always played Binding of Isaac as well. For me the fun of a Roguelike isn’t to make things more challenging for myself, but to see how ridiculously overpowered I can become by the final boss.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah I'm exactly the same way.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Absolute same!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Oh hell yes I finally beat biome 5 and completed 6 on the same run. I had some bonus with nothing game breaking as far as artefacts and parasites were concerned but I found a pylon gun with some kind of web trait. I unlocked it in biome4 to try it in biome5 and it just wrecked the drones. Mini bosses also didn't like the max amount of pylons stuck right in their face. I kept it for most of biome6, passing a nice hollowseeker just because it did nice damage still. I found a level 24 one in biome6 with also the web trait and kept that one for the rest of the run. They suck against the flying kamikaze enemies but otherwise it was pretty good.

I also had 2 failed attempts before the good run where I decided to say screw it for my leg pain when sitting at the desk and decided to try directly on the computer and not while streaming it to the living room. I feel like the gun helped but maybe not having the delay of streaming also helped... I wonder if I handicapped myself for those 35 hours I played with Steam Remote Play.

Anyway I don't think I'll stick with it just to unlock more stuff or true endings. Too many games to play and I want to leave it on a high note!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

hey congrats! It's a solid ending point to hit.

I would wager money the Steam Remote Play did in fact probably gently caress you though lol.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm flabbergasted and appalled and horrified

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

victrix posted:

I'm flabbergasted and appalled and horrified

Aww man I didn't know managing to beat the last boss would cause this kind of reaction. I'm sorry!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hemish posted:

Aww man I didn't know managing to beat the last boss would cause this kind of reaction. I'm sorry!

not that, the streaming! Returnal is not a latency friendly game!

you ran the race with lead weights on

like difficulty++

I'm impressed actually :v:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

victrix posted:

not that, the streaming! Returnal is not a latency friendly game!

you ran the race with lead weights on

like difficulty++

I'm impressed actually :v:

:negative:

I always doubt myself first in everything I do so I just assumed it was purely a skill problem. I'm pretty sure the pylon gun variant helped in that last run since I could kill stuff quicker but beating the last boss on my first try when I still didn't really understand how it worked (not sure about the blue orbs thing, the same thing as the hidden platforms). I had pylons gun before... I wonder if this web trait is the thing that made all the difference. I wish I could calculate how much % on that successful run came from not streaming it for the first time.

I spent a lot of time on a bunch of bosses in Elden Ring before beating them with no summons. I ended up falling off the game after like 60 hours ( I explore too much) but this was not streamed so I had no latency problems but it was still hard. It was also my first Souls game so I don't have godlike gaming skills in the first place. Returnal is just a game but I still feel nice about myself that I managed to beat the last boss.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You don't need godlike gaming skills to beat returnal, that's why we were all so encouraging. That does make sense about the streaming! I bet if you went back and fought Ixion with no streaming you'd trounce him.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Surprised there isn't more hype for this, it seems pretty fun but my god the difficulty ramp across biomes is just something else.

First biome didn't take too long to clear but then I lucked into finding a revive doll and a revive chamber in the same run that got me past the boss fight so I guess we can call that one a brute-force victory. Second biome I managed to carefully advance through all in one go but then got stuck on the boss fight's Touhou bullshit for a whole day before I finally managed to break through after what felt like a dozen attempts. It needs fairly precise positioning so it is pretty brutal moving around accurately on WSAD.

Third biome's just regular enemies kicked the crap out of me and it took over a dozen attempts just to get to the boss fight, and I was so battered and bruised by that point that I couldn't even figure out how to damage the drat thing in the thirty odd seconds I managed to stay alive and since I've spent most of today playing this then that was the point where I decided to call it a day. I spent a good chunk of yesterday evening playing this as well and had some real hosed up nightmares afterwards.

I dig the Beksinski vibe.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Idk the first biome was easily the toughest for me. I died probably 20+ times before beating the boss but I don’t think any other one took more than three attempts although I did die a bunch in 4 between my first and second boss kills. (Always full clearing)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Surprised there isn't more hype for this, it seems pretty fun but my god the difficulty ramp across biomes is just something else.

First biome didn't take too long to clear but then I lucked into finding a revive doll and a revive chamber in the same run that got me past the boss fight so I guess we can call that one a brute-force victory. Second biome I managed to carefully advance through all in one go but then got stuck on the boss fight's Touhou bullshit for a whole day before I finally managed to break through after what felt like a dozen attempts. It needs fairly precise positioning so it is pretty brutal moving around accurately on WSAD.

Third biome's just regular enemies kicked the crap out of me and it took over a dozen attempts just to get to the boss fight, and I was so battered and bruised by that point that I couldn't even figure out how to damage the drat thing in the thirty odd seconds I managed to stay alive and since I've spent most of today playing this then that was the point where I decided to call it a day. I spent a good chunk of yesterday evening playing this as well and had some real hosed up nightmares afterwards.

I dig the Beksinski vibe.

Idk if anyone has said yet, but don't use the aim-down-sights for the vast majority of your encounters; it's a noob trap.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

turn on auto run

put jump and dodge on bumpers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SlimGoodbody posted:

Idk if anyone has said yet, but don't use the aim-down-sights for the vast majority of your encounters; it's a noob trap.

I use it about 50/50 at the moment, sometimes I like to move slowly while aiming at distant things. But yeah I guess it makes sense to always stay mobile, I'll try using it less.

Getting the hookshot also enabled me to unlock that acid grenade launcher thing and holy crap that thing just rips enemies to pieces once you tag them with it. I guess any weapon can be good or bad depending on where its base damage is set and the base damage for that thing is pretty high. I think the Hollowseeker is probably my favorite gun at the moment though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Getting the hookshot also enabled me to unlock that acid grenade launcher thing and holy crap that thing just rips enemies to pieces once you tag them with it. I guess any weapon can be good or bad depending on where its base damage is set and the base damage for that thing is pretty high.

I like the Hollowseeker better for basic enemies but the Rotgland Lobber will absolutely delete the final boss with the right traits. If you can get one with durable rot, caustic rot and tendril rot at the same time you can apply the DOT to each weak point individually and watch the health bar disappear.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, every now and again Selene will get hit and grunt but the game will say "actually you know what, that one didn't count". Very close call dodges also seem to make a pulse noise. Is there a grazing mechanic in this game or something like that?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh yeah, every now and again Selene will get hit and grunt but the game will say "actually you know what, that one didn't count". Very close call dodges also seem to make a pulse noise. Is there a grazing mechanic in this game or something like that?

When you reach adrenaline 5, you get a "shield" that prevents you from losing your adrenaline on your next hit so you're allowed 2 hits before losing it. That tripped me up for quite a while "oh I guess I didn't get hit?". Some artifacts will give you a 1 hit shield when you pick up resin.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
After a couple of crappy short runs in Biome 4, I finally had a good one. Was getting health for gaining/losing malfunctions, recovering health on kills, gaining a shield for every resin, and had a leech-life carbine (though I wound up ditching the health-on-kills parasite because there was SO MUCH silphium on the ground). Cruised through boss 4, totally cleaned out Biome 5 the first time I saw it, and was doing great in Biome 6 until I got to that one mini-boss. Just hell. The screen was covered in purple poo poo, and I couldn't get any sense of the room; I barely even scratched the thing. I guess I really should work on my other guns for a bit.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
RRRGH. Gah. gently caress. FINALLY. Finally got Nemesis down.

I'm sorry but that poo poo is just unreasonable. God I never loving want to do that again. And I'm only half way through the game, I dread to think what the escalation from here looks like.

e: well that was some poo poo. Boss 4 seems a whole lot more reasonable.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 20, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nemesis is really easy but it depends a lot on the gun you have. I can't imagine it with the shotgun

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My first time finding Nemesis was with the spitmaw blaster and that poo poo SUCKED. My first win against it was with a hollow seeker. It's funny how chaotic and difficult I found Nemesis at first, whereas now I cannot imagine losing that fight.

Glad you got to Hyperion, that's probably my favorite fight in the whole game, from lead up to reveal to mechanics. The music is sick as hell, too

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

iirc nemesis takes more damage up close, so if you don't rush up with grapple it'll seem like it has way more health than it should

might have been weapon specific, but I don't think so

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I had a sidearm with the sniper shot ability for my first clear so that made it pretty easy.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

RRRGH. Gah. gently caress. FINALLY. Finally got Nemesis down.

I'm sorry but that poo poo is just unreasonable. God I never loving want to do that again. And I'm only half way through the game, I dread to think what the escalation from here looks like.

e: well that was some poo poo. Boss 4 seems a whole lot more reasonable.

No bosses gave me as much trouble as Ixion, the second boss. My 2 big hurdles in the game were Ixion and the whole Biome 5 itself. The rest was normal and what I expected, often suck at first, get used to the enemies, mini bosses, bosses, etc... After a few runs/attempts it starts to click and you get better. The amount of retries were on par with what I would expect so nothing frustrating like my 2 hurdles.

So I wouldn't stress too much over the upcoming bosses!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 20, 2023

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think the main problem was just the sheer amount of work to prepare for and then reach the fight makes it frustrating to re-attempt, especially since there's a long-winded laser trap and mortar platforming section and then a room full of shitkicker enemies immediately beforehand which I ended up just running past because engaging was never worth it. I can easily imagine their game designer thinking that the platforming stuff was a good mindset warmup for the actual meat of the boss fight but in practice it's just a time and health tax.

Speaking of which, for some reason the way phase 2 worked changed after the first few attempts as well. Originally you just had to move back up to it and then it proceeded much like phase 1, but then on one attempt it changed to sweeping lasers across the arena constantly and never giving me a moment to breathe and it operated that way on all subsequent attempts. The spectacle of the fight is great though. I'm sure if you manage to knock it out on the first attempt then it feels great but sadly I'm not that good. I couldn't even figure out what part to shoot until the second attempt although on the first attempt I was almost dead going into it to begin with.

Ixion took a while as well but that was just pure Skill Issue on my part. Only thing I couldn't really figure out was that third phase attack where he does a leaping melee and then spawns a ring at the impact point, that one always hit me no matter what. But also I'm playing on KB+M and doing micro-positioning to dodge the incoming bullet swarms is difficult without a thumb stick.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm not gonna say "git gud" cause that's just rude but micro positioning was easy on kbm for me. The hard part is not letting yourself get overwhelmed by lights or colors and saving your dash for when it's actually required by a bullet pattern or if you gently caress up really badly.

I've had a lot of practice with that sort of thing for other games though so :shrug:. Gungeon especially is a good teacher.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You can still do a lot on kb+m since the eight-directional movement is relative to the camera. It does mean you can't shoot at a specific point and move at a fine-tuned angle at the same time, but as is often the case in these games i-frame timing does more to protect you than raw positioning anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't really like roguelikes in general so I don't really have much practice with that sort of thing. I do like Fromgames but the skills aren't really transferrable. On a completely unrelated note, does this game remind anybody else of MDK or is it just me?

I'm also going to be really annoyed if the big reveal at the end is that Selene is actually a locked-in vegetable who got into a car crash and is trapped in a nightmare Lovecraft grief-world inspired by her dead son who had a pet octopus plush, but the more plot-related stuff I come across the more it keeps pointing in that direction, especially after sticking my head into the Tower of Sisyphus for a bit and after the original jungle biome was immediately replaced by Beksinski Nightmare World with flying tentacle-coffins. They could perhaps have slow-played that a bit instead of dropping it on you immediately in Biome 2.

edit: Based on the house sequence in Biome 4 it almost feels like it's the kid and not Selene herself that is the locked-in vegetable because it would make the mom-astronaut "doesn't want to let you go" thing make a lot more sense, presumably real-world Selene is standing next to the catatonic kid's hospital bed and whispering to him, but nightmare-world has a rather grown-up theme for a ~10 year old kid to come up with. The broad strokes of what is going on seem fairly obvious at any rate, even if the details are slightly fuzzy.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 20, 2023