Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
ahh noo poor lurdiak the victim pls be nice to him ahha

thats all over a sixer and a 1 day probation for two back to back extremely distasteful jokes he made and tried to walk back lmao. in the course of 2 months in discord he started posting so aggro it made multiple people leave the server or mute it, he was making some of the most patient and kind ppl ive ever met genuinely uncomofrtable with his behavior. he had to be removed from a server that literally has no moderation, theres no mods just the person who made it w admin powers that theyve never had to use. all that happened is he eventually did it to a groupof people willing to be more aggro back

also probe me or whatever for off site

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
whats up hows assassins creed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
i love iwnning and i love pvp

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

oddium posted:

the slap city incident
when i play fightingi games the demon part of me starts to emerge

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
looking forward to getting gg strive and rage quitting within 7 days

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

oddium posted:

june games chat thread: oddium posts again and every one cheers we love her ☺️

youre doing a great job, a great job!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Looper posted:

i defeated the final boss of sekiro last night and immediately slammed the record video button because i was too frazzled to actually absorb the deathblow animations. i then fished out my flashdrive and used it to watch the other three endings, having already seen the bad one last month. what an incredible game!! i can't help but be a bit sad it's over now. idk where it will end up since it's still only may but it will definitely rank pretty high on my goty list. the aesthetic of bloodborne holds a special place in my heart, but cainhurst has a rival for best area now in the fountainhead palace. and the contrast between the palace and what you return to afterward! gameplay-wise sekiro is easily the best I've ever experienced out of fromsoft's catalog, and the characters and their relationships were surprisingly moving. the way the final boss screams DO IT before the final blow gave me chills, i keep thinking about it. move over elden ring, i want sekiro 2: journey to the west

i didnt go get the other endings yet but the one i got owned

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Khanstant posted:

The person who put makeup on the cavewoman is the type of person who wanted that ape lady to wear lipstick in that one Planet of the Apes remake.

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
its funny tho becuase they almost all do seem to suck lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
[someone posts a video of giant bomb playing a game i rexlfively backflip away from the old man running into a wall while complaining he doesnt know whahts going on while a tutorial yells on screen exactly what to do.]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
thinking about going to reead a music review but itd done by some guy who doesnt understand what rhythm is and keeps struggling to describe whaht hes hearing

"and then the drums did this thing. idk what it was lol uhhh it was like budumba bap it was sick. anyway if theyw ant more people to listen they should probably stick to verse/chorus structure imo"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah music critics should have to prove that they can play the album on guitar (or cello) before writing about it

so to you a music revieiwer beingg able to correctly desribe and understand what theyre hearing is the same as asking them to play it lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
music, film, other art reviews: presumption that reviewer is familiar with the medium, knows more about it than most people, abel to understand an grapple with everything from pop art to complex pieces

game reviews: preferably you are reviewing an fps game while entirely unable to aim a crosshair despite this being the 50th fps game youve reviewed this year

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
now contast that with the sekiro ratio and understand that hades is a baby game, for children

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
the worst part of hades is it semes neither the writer nor the actor for the mc have any idea when or how the word mate should be said and its like nails on a chalkboard everytime

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The Grumbles posted:

Being familiar with a medium doesn't mean you gotta have good reaction times or fine motor skills or whatever tho. You just have to know a lot about the medium and its history/cultural context and be able to form a solid opinion. It's also really hard to properly play a game on-stream while also talking eruditely about that game while also in an office studio or at a trade show or whatever. But also everyone misses mechanics all the time in most games because game design isn't always perfect. It's fine basically don't worry about it

it does if you are reviweing examples of a medium that specifically require that to engage with it lol. reviewing any media requires that the critic have a specific set of skills that are generally better than most of the audience for that media. a very good example of this kind of active participation that isnt often thought about is in fact music. there is a very specific and trainable skill that most people do not have when it comes to listening to music, to be able to alter your own perception of the piece. to be able to isolate and compare the individual instruments in even very large ensembles and then switch back into hearing it as a whole. to be able to follow along with complex rhythmic parts and understand and comprehend everything thats happening. this is something you are taught or train yourself to do and its an absolutely vital skill fi you want to actually be able to be an effective critic. its also something the majority of people who listen to music absolutely cannot do.

its also not like its just games where its expected that a critic can deal with multiple facets of a work, film critics need to understand cinematography, writing, acting, they need to even have some level of understanding of music and its uses albeit in a contextual manner and not as in depth as a dedicated music critic would. a film critic who was unable to offer anything on the cinematography of a film due to them not having a sufficient understanding of it would be a worthless critic. if you are reviewing games, which are an inherently interactive medium, which can very often require good reaction times etc, you should probably have an above average level of expertise in that area, or at least if you are going to specifically review games which require it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The Grumbles posted:

But at the same time, it's still valid to have a range of opinions, and I think you're talking as if people who review games professionally have absolutely zero understanding about the medium, which is a little unfair and extreme.

the problem is the "range of opinions" almost never involves having multiple reviews for a game in mainstream publications, each from a different viewpoint, all published at the same time and given equal footing. it barely ever includes a reviewer focused on accessibility or other requirements from a first person perspective rather than a throw away paragraph in the single headline review. when it comes to large reviewers the range of opinion is nearly always one person, and if that person is awful at the game, or has no perspective on issues that dont impact them, then that place simply does not deal with that part of the game.

quote:

But I don't agree with what you're saying about critics having an in-depth understanding about the component pieces of a medium. You don't need to know about types of lenses, or cinematography techniques to be a good film critic. There are certain kinds of non-fiction film/music writing where those skills you've described are really essential, but honestly being able to form a valuable opinion shouldn't need a writer to forensically take apart the components of a piece. Yea it helps if you're not tone deaf and reviewing music, and if you're reviewing music you wanna really listen actively. But that kind of forensic thing you're talking about is only useful for a very specific subset of non-fiction writing, for an even more specific audience (for example, I used to live with a cinematographer, who had a ton of books on cinematography, most of which involved examples from mainstream cinema).

if you are attempting to review music you cannot simply choose to be unable to listen actively. its not about forensically taking a piece apart, its not about writing "well at bar 4 if you listen in the left channel the second violin part...". if you are unable to properly understand and comprehend what you are hearing you cannot write an effective critique of the piece for review. being able to effectively write a review of a song is being able to understand everything you are hearing, and also write about it in a way that isnt a forensic evaluation.

quote:

There are loads of kinds of arts criticism, all of which have value to different audiences. In the example of film, there are a lot of writers who don't talk about film in terms of the cinematography, acting, writing or whatever, but approach the film holistically, and maybe have a whole other angle they're approaching it from. Some of the best books and essays on film are weaving personal memoir or cultural commentary with the writer's feeling about the films themselves. The point is, good critical writing isn't about measuring the quality and effectiveness of a list of attributes. That's maybe what makes a good product review, but non-fiction critical writing is a much broader church than that, that take advantage of all kinds of skillsets (the only one in common being that you're a good writer with broad cultural knowledge).

edit: I mean I also think most publications having scales or scores with reviews on any artform is pretty stupid. Especially with music, because it's trivially easy to legally listen to most new releases for free, and know pretty much instantly whether you like it or not. So reviews need to perform another function at that point because they're not needed as a thing that you use to measure quality. when it comes to games I really like Eurogamer's system - 'essentail', 'recommended', no recommendation, or 'avoid'.

we arent talking about books and essays, we are talking mainline reviews. youre conflating writing about art history and being a critic in that sense with someone writing a release window review for a game or album. these are two different things requiring different skillsets. if you want to write an essay on game history or influences on a specific piece, no, you dont need to be mechanically good at games even if the game you are talking about would benefit from it. but if you are writing in ign or whhatever a release day review of a game, you really probably should be able to play the game you are reviewing to a higher than average standard. and that doesnt mean doing it as a product review either, because that could also be done by someone who isnt very good at the game theyre reviewing, and is often what happens: a list of the games features, its graphical prowess and if it actually works and a score. there is a middle ground between broader critical writing and product review which is where standard reviews of games should be sitting imo. and yeah get rid of scores.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
well the obvbious answer is ur own supposition: the issue of the largest and best paid reviewers writing garbage while good critics struggle lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Andrast posted:

I don't think they are inherently worse, they just care about different poo poo than you do

agreed. they simply care about other thtings. now, time to give a review with a score that means "ok to good" to a game so buggy it cannot be played, failing to even deliver an effective product review let alone any form of crit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Andrast posted:

have you considered a job at ign?

i tried but they screened me with a deathmatch game of doom 2 against all their staff. after going 30 kill sw ith zero deaths i was hounded out of the offices with crucifixes and holy water

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

oddium posted:

not even my friends can tell what games i would like

anodyne 2

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The Grumbles posted:

I don't think I'm conflating anything, friend! There are multiple ways to respond to a piece of media, and nearly all of those responses have the capacity to give you a sense of whether it's a piece of media you yourself want to experience. As you say, a middle ground between broader critical writing and product review. But I'd rather have someone who is really good at critically engaging with something but is maybe of average (or even below average!) mechanical skill. A good games writer will be aware of their own physical dexterity in relation to how skill-focused a game is and take that into account in their writing. I guess my point is if someone's spend a long rear end time honing their skills as a writer and a critic but happens to have bad reflexes, I'd still much rather read their work than some twitchy 19 year old with no cultural frame of reference beyond video games themselves. But really there's a surplus of games writing out there and you can just not burden yourself with the writing you don't like, to be honest.

theres no reason for it to be an either or. this isnt guy who cant play games but can write vs twitchy 19 year old, its we can have people who are good at the game they are reviewing and also able to articulate an effective critical review. and you are conflating. when you say "Some of the best books and essays on film are weaving personal memoir or cultural commentary with the writer's feeling about the films themselves." this is vastly different to what we are talking about lol. it is critique. it is vitally important. it is not occupying the same space and doing the same work that a short form critical review does and they are not the same thing. both need different approaches and skill sets and are suited to different people.

i can not burden myself with the writing i dont like the same way a reviewer can not burden themselves with the games they dont like. this is a deflection, criticism of criticism is as important as the critique itself. the idea that rather than discuss and understand the ways criticism is formed we should simply not think about it is comical. also im not sitting here punching holes in like, people on youtube with 1000 subs doing reviews lol why should major review houses be above discussion. why is it when its brought up it ends up with "if you dont like it dont read it" instead of whatever the actual argument is for so much of games crit being absolutely terrible product review level stuff that frequently fails at even that.

quote:

Like, it should be obvious from my responses that I find critical responses that look too closely at the machinery of a thing to be a bit tedious and missing the point of art. Like that bald youtube music reviewer guy that people seem to love. The way he reviews albums, its like you've just had your car in for servicing and he's giving you a list of parts you need replaced. It just misses the point and appeal of music for me.

you seem to not be reading what im saying, or at least not understanding. critical responses that focus on the machinery are mostly trash that go the entire opposite direction with the same impulse that leads people to proclaim that the most technically proficient musician or the artist best at photorealistically reproducing things with paint as the "best" artists. that isnt what im saying or what im asking for, at all. i explicitly said it wasnt even. any music critic worth their salt is able to and is doing active listening where they can break down whats going on in what they are listening to. the other part is taking that information and writing well, creating meaningful and insightful criticism. its weird you think only doing one half is fine if its the writing thats present, but bad if its a detatched analysis. both are incomplete. a good revierw is a synergy of the two, using both halves to inform the whole.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Khanstant posted:

Most gamers are even bigger scrubs than the average videogame reviewer and those scrubs are the majority consumers of reviews, especially reviews that end with a number days before the game is even released and anyone can have played what is released. Best case scenario a writer can only describe their own experiences and the version of the game they made while they were playing it, in part there are always reviewing themselves in addition to the videogame. The closer a reviewer is to you, the more reflective that review may be towards how you will receive the game. So a game reviewer who is mediocre at videogames will actually be a closer experience and more meaningful review than if they were super-pro gamers all along.

its not one or the other. u can have someoen good at games and writing who can relate stuff to different audiences like a film critic who reviews both art house and blockbusters and writes for both audiences. its fine. the other issue tho that u mention is games reviews are rushed for release, people cant beat the games before the review is due which has led to lots of large reviewers turning in half baked product reviews.

Simone Magus posted:

Here stux i fixed your post

dog u cant say people having a discussion about stuff completely civilly is negative and then do this lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The Grumbles posted:

Yes! You've put into words exactly why that guy rubs me up the wrong way.
I'm just using those extremes to help illustrate my point. It's obvious we're both saying that games writing occupies a broad spectrum. I don't think this stuff is above discussion, which is why I'm discussing it. And don't worry, I do get what you're saying. I just don't think that having an intimate knowledge of video games and a high skill at playing skill based video games are the same thing, and that you can be good at thinking about and talking about video games without being good at playing them at their normal difficulty level. I don't think 'active listening' is really the same as having good reflexes in a FPS, or good at solving puzzles in video games, or being skilled in video games generally. I think you can 'actively listen' to a video game without being good at tricky gameplay. That's all I'm really getting at. I think the 'active listening' part of playing games is just paying attention to how a game looks and sounds and feels, which you don't have to be good at scoring headshots or whatever to be able to do. I also think a lot of critics are unfairly judged for not engaging fully with games while on camera.

it very much depends on the game. theres many games where it doesnt matter and it shouldnt be the focus at all, and i agree absolutely t hat the mechanical skill of the reviewer is completely irrelevant. in fact, thats most games! but theres also a good number of games where it actively matters. the thing i dont like is this idea that game mechanics can be seperated out and put in a box marked "other" when its the defining feature of games, so when a game comes along where tricky gameplay might be core to the game and may even be an important part of the games design philosophy, you need to have a reviewer who is capable of engaging with that to properly review it imo. to use the music example again it would be like if you had a music critic who cannot do t he kind of listening where they can seperate out and understand multiple parts as well as the whole, and giving them a complex math rock album to review. its doing a disservice to the work itself if the person reviewing it cannot follow along with what it is trying to put across and meet it on its own level. of course giving that same album to someone who completely understands whats going on musicially but is an inept writer unable to put across criticism beyond how technically proficient it is is also not a great idea lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Khanstant posted:

Some weirdo listening to a whole album while doing nothing else does me no good, I'll never listen to music that way.

jokes on you im listening to mm food as i type

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The Grumbles posted:

Nobody should listen to, think about, write about or otherwise engage with math rock however

im going t o destrou you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ydFHebKgQ

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
oh i only picked music because i have terminal music brain so its easier fo rme to relate it lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
i gues we can all agree gamers must be stopped

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
sick of hearing of cities skyline and wish for the days of "nissan skyline" instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Relax Or DIE posted:

should be easy, the coddled cod players of the modern era would be easily crushed by even a middling archvile trap

wrong, most doom 1 and 2 fans would be easily dispatched by the insane reaction and aim skills of the average cod teen

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

oddium posted:

america 's army

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Relax Or DIE posted:

i need to spend a bit more time with fatum betula but playing it i spend a lot of time thinking about how much more i like the flatter/more abstract spaces of old games. this is assuredly from decades of soaking my brain in them but i can more clearly recall the little clearing with a pond and a cat person or the lake island house in FB more than the extremely detailed areas of modern games i've played equally recently. this isn't really a judgement call saying that they're better, and more saying that i'm glad stuff like FB/the modern 'boomer shooter' renaissance exist because they trend toward looking more like how i want a video game to look.

related, though i think i like a couple of other battle royales better as games, i don't think any have put out a map with as much charm as erangel. for me, at least, the map has (had if they changed it i guess) the right mix of kind of looking like poo poo while also having a fuckload of memorable and interesting locations. i can't quite put my finger on why exactly i think the map works so well. erangel feels like a map you have to play pubg around, while stuff like apex has maps that were made to play apex in, if that distinction makes any sense to anyone else.

i think part of it is the people interested in making those kind of throwback games now probably just have a bit more interest in making weird spaces. esp in fatum, thats clearly the thing the dev wanted more than anything

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
post the most fatum betula screenies u got

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

redreader posted:

I like horror movies but I don't see why anyone would watch Saw, for example.

perhaps you like to play a game. that would be one reason t o watch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Gaius Marius posted:

Here's some shitposting about it then to keep it un insightful

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

ymgve posted:

I havent played NMS since launch but base building there sounds weird since your goal is to reach the center of the galaxy so youre always on the move

the game is extremely different now lol