Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hello chat thread, it's been a while. I hope you're all doing well.

I'm still trundling through Dragon Quest XI and it's been wonderful, I think I'm coming towards the end of it now.

That said I got to the reveal that [massive spoilers for your return to Arboria in the second half of the game] Veronica died to save you all and as the cutscenes were going I kept waiting for the game to be like "haha, psych, just kidding" and uh, they weren't. The cutscene with Serena finally letting herself fall apart and grieve in the evening post-funeral after inheriting Veronica's magic was heartbreaking and hit real close to home.

This game is really, really wonderful. I think my party member ranking so far is Sylvando > Rab > Jade > Veronica > Party Member Who Joins In The Back Half > Serena > Erik imho.
And even ranking them like that it's not that I think that Erik is even bad, really - like his interactions with Veronica in particular are fun, I think he just suffers from not really getting much development until very late in the game and a lot of the brotherly like friendship that he and the Hero apparently share is commented on a ton by other characters but doesn't feel like it was actually shown.

I also got to play a little New Pokemon Snap and adding my voice to the other comments here, it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm so close to finishing my degree that I can taste it and once all my study is done I'm going to game until my eyes fall out. :hai:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've done this except in the reverse order

Yeah I uh, had to institute a rule for myself that while I'm actively studying I cannot be subbed to FFXIV. (I managed to knock out post-Shadowbringers up to 5.3 in a break though, suck it study).

Zaphod42 posted:

There are few things in life that give me as much of a sense of peace as knowing that I am forever done with college

Congrats

This is my second go around with tertiary education believe it or not because I want to do everything realised acting wasn't going to pay my bills am a goddamned idiot. But thankyou!

Waffleman_ posted:

Enjoy having dreams about not knowing what room your class is in or what your schedule is for all eternity.

I study online at an interstate uni so my nightmares will be online group-work related or seeing that a lecturer's lecture slides haven't been updated since 2013.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My one piece of advice going into this game is to play on Merciless. I know I always talk about liking hard games, but Merciless actually probably makes the game the easiest, but also its most fun. Merciless triples the damage that you do when you exploit an enemy's weakness or when you exploit a status ailment (attacking a sleeping enemy, casting wind on an enemy who has caught fire, etc). Combine this with what Wuggles said about baton passing and you end up doing these huge chains of attacks that totally wipe encounters. Now, enemies will also deal 3x damage for exploiting weaknesses against you, but there's tons of ways to prevent that - most importantly, the fact that almost every encounter you're going first because of Preemptive Strikes.

In base P5, Merciless cut EXP and money gain by half, but in Royal, you get 1.2x EXP and money, so now you'll have a lot more money to mess around with in the social parts of the game, more money to get all the best equipment, and more money to spend on messing around with fusion. It's a super fun way to play the game, I almost never use status ailments in JRPGs but here they're like, some of the best skills in the game because they let your party members who can't change Personas chain baton passes on enemies they wouldn't normally be able to hit with a weakness.

When I finally get around to trying P5R this has convinced me to play on Merciless, it sounds rad.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

An long-running but uncompleted fantasy epic, you say? Who is the Brandon Sanderson of manga that his editors can rope in to wrap it up?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I finally finished off Dragon Quest XI S today. On the whole, I really, really enjoyed it. I've posted before about how the game functions as basically the RPG gaming equivalent of being cuddled up with a big mug of tea (or other comfy beverage of your choice). The soundtrack, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, blows. I didn't find out you could swap the Overworld theme to the Dragon Quest 8 Overworld theme until I was almost at the post game but it absolutely saved my sanity.

I feel like the game stumbled at the finish line a bit. I was gushing about the game when the first lot of credits rolled, but it very quickly became clear that the post game had so much story content in it that it didn't feel "optional", it felt like it was presented as a requirement/functionally Act 3 to play through. The problem is I don't think the post game is as interesting as the ending that precedes it, both in terms of character development and gameplay. From a gameplay standpoint the re-use of environments and wholesale quests means the entire thing feels quite dull. "Oh, I get to go back to Dundrasil and save that dude again? With no real changes to the outcome? Oh okay, uh, great." The difficulty bump from Act 2 into the post game, while not necessarily unwelcome, didn't feel particularly smooth - I suspect I missed some quest order signposting because a lot of the stuff I tried to do early on thoroughly kicked my rear end. I ultimately decided to surmount it by using the Hallelujah/Electro-Light trick to just quickly level a bunch, so I don't want to complain too much here - the game absolutely gives you a series of ways to quickly grind your level/cash/crafting materials up should you need them - I just felt like the intended progression through the post game could have been outlined a bit better.

The writing really strains here unfortunately. Because the post game is you going back in time you end up invalidating some of the big character moments for party members . The problem is that they're often not replaced with anything more interesting, or really anything at all. I think Serena really gets the short end of the stick here - her reaction to Veronica's death was one of the most emotionally resonant moments in the game for me, lead to some interesting character growth for her, and in the post game timeline that just....doesn't happen and so she never has the impetus to grow or develop. Ugh. The game also runs afoul of several silent protagonist moments where your character's silence makes him seem like the world's biggest loving idiot as he shuffles gormlessly through easily avoidable situations because he can't have any real agency or just say "Hey, watch out."

It's not all bad. Getting to go back to a rebuilt Cobblestone and marry Gemma was cute, and while I have my complaints about how the ramped up difficulty was sort of just... dropped in there, it was fun piecing together various character abilities to take down bosses in a way I hadn't really had to engage with during the base game. I did have to laugh at the final true boss being basically what if Perfect Cell but he has a giant dumb baby head. Toriyama really has his stock character types that he likes drawing again and again and again and again and loving again, huh?

Overall, I still think the game is really great, but the negative aspects of the post game drop it down to just "really great" for me when I think if the game had ended at the first round of credits I would have said it was one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Excited to start up Danganronpa 2 today, the first one was a wild ride so I'm looking forwarding to liveposting variations on "WHAT?" and "HOLY poo poo!" in this thread until I finish.

Once I wrap up that I think my next PC game should be Nier Replicant which I'm also looking forward to. With the weight of Dragon Quest XI S off my shoulders I think I'll end up bouncing around finishing up a bunch of smaller games I've had in my backlog/semi-played through.

It's a good day to be gaming.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So, initial impressions and wild theories after playing the prologue of Danganronpa 2.

I'm not hugely sold on any of the characters immediately, they feel very, very similar to the same archetypes that were in Danganronpa 1 but I'll give them time and see how they develop.

I am intrigued to see what the hell is going on with fat Byakuya though :allears:

I do not trust Nagito at all, he's too friendly and chill which means he's either an evil mastermind or he's going to be the first one dead. I also don't think he's being truthful about his Ultimate ability.

As for the PC, I wonder if his Ultimate ability might actually have been Ultimate Despair given that he's such a massive downer/pessimist but maybe the magic memory erasing drugs hosed him up harder than he thought. Also, guessing the "island" is some sort of digital simulation - just guessing from the whole Usagi turning a chicken into a cow thing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Danganronpa 2 Chapter 1 thoughts.

Good to see that I was completely right about not trusting Nagito, and when he's going mask off he's quite creepy/entertaining
I think they're setting up the MC to be revealed as the Ultimate Detective but I'm not convinced there won't be a swerve away from that.

I did enjoy that they (spoilers for Danganronpa 1) throw a huge major twist from the first game - "you've all been students at the academy for years" - into the first chapter

Interesting little mystery, I had a fair grasp of what must have happened before the trial even kicked off so once that started it was just a matter of eliminating the potential suspects.

Speaking of the trial, the sword argument thing where you slice through people's arguments loving sucks both to read and to play, but what's worse is how goddamned slow the Hangman sections feel now. Not a fan of either.

I am thoroughly, thoroughly tired of the Mikan fanservice.

Best Girl: Chiaki. Calm, switched on, and a gamer. Recognises the importance of a good night's sleep.
Best Boy: Nekomaru. Dude just really wants to take a poo poo and I can respect that.
Worst Girl: Mikan. This character archetype sucks and so does the fanservice.
Worst Boy: Fuyuhiko. There is nothing interesting to me about the Yakuza schtick.

Bring on Chapter 2!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Not really game related but I just want to happy post. I took up Kyokushin karate at the end of January. I was so badly out of shape that I couldn't even make it through my first lesson without repeatedly having to sit out because I was just completely gassed, dripping sweat from every inch of my body and barely able to stand. The next day I could barely move I was so sore.

Doing some full day training this week, and I just trained from 8am - 4pm, with a 45 minute lunch break in the middle. I'm exhausted, but I feel amazing and it's very satisfying to see how far I've come in the past few months. If you had told me at the end of January after that first lesson that I'd one day be able to train for 8 hours and still be walking at the end of it, I would have laughed in your face.

Now I'm going to get a beer and play some Danganronpa until I pass out and do it all over again tomorrow, which is going to be fantastic.

(Also, belated happy birthday FAK - I tell everyone turning 30 this and I mean it wholeheartedly; I'm 34, and every single year of my thirties has been better than my twenties. I hope you like it here!)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thank you everyone for your very kind words. :unsmith:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

June is End Boss Month.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of hidden bangers. Hideki Naganuma of Jet Set Radio fame submitted this to some rando mobile game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8efRFhEcuQ

Me @ the 1:10 mark

gently caress yah.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's like Tim Follin turning out this absolutely amazing track for... Pictionary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwh3erQlyE

Or like most things Tim Follin has done really.

Tim Follin has not had much luck with his music appearing in good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's June 1st. Free us from this May tyranny.
So we can get started on the June tyranny.