Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

finished up anodyne 2 today, after playing it (and some pokemon sword) through a web continuing ed conference today. good rear end game, highly recommended. understandable if the aesthetic(s) don't vibe with you. i think it's really well served if you go in to it blind.

Anodyne 2 is so so good. I love it not even because of what it does as a game, but rather as a creative endeavor. I'm not quite able to put it as eloquently as I'd like and I'm tired besides but, games are all about artifice, yeah? The whole "don't look at the man behind the curtain" thing is so ingrained into the medium that 4th wall breaks are relegated to jokes and thank-you-for-playings. Players are so far removed from the actual sausage-making, that we don't even think about the people making it possible until they take a bow. Anodyne 2 doesn't really bother keeping up the pretense. It has an barely-veiled in-game commentary reel on the game design for crying out loud.

I'm not sure how much of it was intentional, and how much of it is me looking for something I didn't know I was hungry for, but Anodyne 2 is not so afraid of letting on to the fact that, yeah this is a game. It is someone's creation. It was made by people. Two, in fact. They put in jokes that that they thought were funny and not all of them land but it's ok. They got to draw up worlds and write character arcs and wouldn't you like to see where we take them? It is less so a blockbuster production and more of a person telling you a story across a campfire, because they thought it a story worth telling, and you seemed receptive. So much of game design is a dialogue between player and developer! And so much of it is quiet. This one is, at least to my ears, very very loud. Top to bottom, it screams that it was the thing some people wanted to make. It meant quite a bit to them. Maybe it will mean something to you too.

It certainly did to me! It did what only my favorite pieces of art do: it made me want to create something. If I ever make something as honest and sure of it itself and crystal clear as Anodyne 2, I'll be very very happy. In the eve of Miura's passing, that desire is twice as strong.

That's just the metatextual poo poo, I'm not even gonna spoil the actual details. Also, that soundtrack. Goddamn if you don't take anything else from my post at least take a listen.

good rear end game. play it if you have ever wanted to put a bit of yourself in something. drawing, acting, cooking, loving bowyering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

worth noting that Fatum Betula is only like, $5.50! more enjoyable than your average coffee imo

wuggles posted:

Speaking of 14, I think I might finish the Lisa Lisa (Limsa Lominsa) intro line today.

what class are you playing! I'm biting in darkmans leveling Rogue for the first time and I think it has the best early-game class quests, though I have only done like one-third of the classes so far

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

wuggles posted:

Arcanist! This is the farthest I’ve gotten with a character.

oh nice, don't forget you can freely switch between Scholar and Summoner while keeping your levels, when you get there. two jobs for the price of one!

I have a Dragoon in the high 30s, but I never had half as much fun as I'm doing now. there's something to be said about the choice of "class fantasy" keeping you more engaged

edit: lmao. FFXIV players are a hivemind entirely geared towards being informative