Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
COMRADS! YOU HAD ME AT MAYDAY

CELEBRATE YOUR WORKING CLASS COMRADES!

Posts that belong in the news thread:

-Actual news
-Discussions of news. "Well I think this could have been averted if the engineer had not overgreased the bearing like a monkey who only knows one trick."
-Debate about news. "I disagree, over-lubbing a shaft bearing is a valid approach if one considers the Engin R DUMB theorem"

Things that don't belong in the news thread:

-Discussing other posters. "Stop licking the engineer's boot you dumb piece of poo poo."
-Ad hominem attack. "I bet you got your engineering license in a trashcan, where you belong, you engineer piece of poo poo."
-Attacks against merchant marine engineers. They already have it hard enough, the poor ginger bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And no more attacking the Suez Canal with giant freighters.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMlWwIXg3M

Still got 22 minutes!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kesper North posted:

And no more attacking the Suez Canal with giant freighters.

That was the deckies

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Moving over from old thread.

Stravag posted:

Nations fighter command had an Easter egg where a ufo would show occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgXUe0m2msY

It was absolutely this game and it was a mind gently caress as a kid. It was WEIRD.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Where did April go?

Seriously, that month just vanished.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zamujasa posted:

Where did April go?

Thankfully it did! Flying back that states. Been 11 stressful months of wondering if the country was gonna collapse. A quick stable April was just what I needed?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zamujasa posted:

Where did April go?

April went by so fast I forgot to get drunk on my EAOS date :lol:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Happy May Day.

gently caress all bosses.

Workers of the world unite.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Outdoor loving starts today

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A driver on a narrow street in Queens this week tried to pass another car by going into the bike lane at 50mph. Newsworthy because, in so doing, they collided at full speed into an outdoor dining space, murdering one and wounding another—avoiding an all-out massacre only because there were hardly any diners at the time. Police initially announced it was a result of a medical incident, but then video came out of the wanton negligence the driver displayed.

https://twitter.com/CurbJumpingNYC/status/1388136498076262401?s=19

There are three things to be done to prevent this in the future: fundamentally transform Americans' behavior behind the wheel into something less ragingly sociopathic; fundamentally transform our urban road infrastructure from prioritizing driver's speed to prioritizing the safety of everyone else using the street; and, of course, get personal cars off the roads in favor of walkable, bikeable, and transit-accessible urban areas. The more likely outcome, of course, is assholes in city government using this as an excuse to shut down outdoor dining.

And, since this has been a point of confusion ITT before, no, this doesn't mean your family in the sticks needs to give up their car.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You will never change america's car culture and the attitudes that make it lovely.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

A driver on a narrow street in Queens this week tried to pass another car by going into the bike lane at 50mph. Newsworthy because, in so doing, they collided at full speed into an outdoor dining space, murdering one and wounding another—avoiding an all-out massacre only because there were hardly any diners at the time. Police initially announced it was a result of a medical incident, but then video came out of the wanton negligence the driver displayed.

https://twitter.com/CurbJumpingNYC/status/1388136498076262401?s=19

There are three things to be done to prevent this in the future: fundamentally transform Americans' behavior behind the wheel into something less ragingly sociopathic; fundamentally transform our urban road infrastructure from prioritizing driver's speed to prioritizing the safety of everyone else using the street; and, of course, get personal cars off the roads in favor of walkable, bikeable, and transit-accessible urban areas. The more likely outcome, of course, is assholes in city government using this as an excuse to shut down outdoor dining.

And, since this has been a point of confusion ITT before, no, this doesn't mean your family in the sticks needs to give up their car.

I'm happy to be pointed to quotes to the contrary, but I believe any disagreement in the Current Events thread previously centered towards primary residential types in urban areas and discouragement of the use of single-passenger vehicles from the suburbs to city centers.

My only point of contention with your comment is that Design Speed is not the controlling design factor in urban geometric design. Current design standards heavily consider multi-modal and pedestrian access needs, however were not standardized until the 1980's, well after most of American urban infrastructure was already constructed. Transforming from the former to the latter is going to cost $Texas and DOTs are critically underfunded and forced to prioritize budgets of failing infrastructure (and litigation), even prior to COVID.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Your text: I'm happy to be pointed to quotes to the contrary, ...(show all text)

Flesch Reading Ease score: 20.8 (text scale)
Flesch Reading Ease scored your text: very difficult to read.

Gunning Fog: 20.5 (text scale)
Gunning Fog scored your text: very difficult to read.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 18.1
Grade level: College Graduate and above.

The Coleman-Liau Index: 14
Grade level: college

The SMOG Index: 14.7
Grade level: college

Automated Readability Index: 19.4
Grade level: College graduate

Linsear Write Formula : 22.1
Grade level: College Graduate and above.

:discourse:

I assume that’s what you were going for.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

:discourse:

I assume that’s what you were going for.

Do I even want to ask what that is

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought you were being extra longwinded as ploy to head off a derail, but if that’s just how you write, my bad.

It’s a computer saying you used a bunch of long words and long sentences, basically.

Your text is a good example of why such measures are simplistic. The words you used are long, but they are not rare. “Multi-modal” is the only term I expect anyone who can read at a fifth-grade level might be unfamiliar with.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I thought you were being extra longwinded as ploy to head off a derail, but if that’s just how you write, my bad.

It’s a computer saying you used a bunch of long words and long sentences, basically.

Your text is a good example of why such measures are simplistic. The words you used are long, but they are not rare. “Multi-modal” is the only term I expect anyone who can read at a fifth-grade level might be unfamiliar with.

Oh no, I'm just a transportation engineer that gets prickly when the design speed thing gets brought up.

e: In general, I do try simplify language when possible, as I've read a couple of books on exploring the divide between the scientific community and general public where that was hypothesized to be a large chunk of the root cause. In this situation, I was attempting to refute a technical issue.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 1, 2021

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Milo and POTUS posted:

You will never change america's car culture and the attitudes that make it lovely.

I had YouTube on in the background for bird sounds (for my birds, duh) and this obnoxious Nissan ad came on like "cars used to mean freedom! Cars used to be your life! Now with Nissan cars cars truck sub truck freedom America!" loving insanity

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I had YouTube on in the background for bird sounds (for my birds, duh) and this obnoxious Nissan ad came on like "cars used to mean freedom! Cars used to be your life! Now with Nissan cars cars truck sub truck freedom America!" loving insanity
Especially since Nissan is a leading provider of milquetoast automobiles.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/How2Drink/status/1388449542866096128?s=19

Happy May Day

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stealie72 posted:

Especially since Nissan is a leading provider of milquetoast automobiles.

I see about 1 nissan ad a day. Literal drop in the bucket.

I see the same VW commercial (tiguan on a runway w/ 3 other brands) just about every commercial break on comedy central. Sometimes twice. I flip over to CC around 7am (cartoons) and leave it run in the background until the office starts. I've probably seen that VW ad over 100 times this week.

I'm also sick of the Chris Stapleton Dodge ads (cause he's a ram, yes he am). Not really digging his new release anyhow, which is a shame because Traveller was so good.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
April thread is better.

Day 2 after Moderna. Arm hurts and I just feel kind of off. I don’t really have any describable symptoms except maybe a little lethargic feeling (and the sore arm).

When do I sprout my antennae?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boop the snoot posted:

When do I sprout my antennae?

I break this rule all the time, but “antennae” implies insect characteristics.

Cyborgs have antennas.

Mothman > alligator, IMO. Let me know if you turn into one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm happy to be pointed to quotes to the contrary, but I believe any disagreement in the Current Events thread previously centered towards primary residential types in urban areas and discouragement of the use of single-passenger vehicles from the suburbs to city centers.

My only point of contention with your comment is that Design Speed is not the controlling design factor in urban geometric design. Current design standards heavily consider multi-modal and pedestrian access needs, however were not standardized until the 1980's, well after most of American urban infrastructure was already constructed. Transforming from the former to the latter is going to cost $Texas and DOTs are critically underfunded and forced to prioritize budgets of failing infrastructure (and litigation), even prior to COVID.

See kids this is an example of how to properly disagree with someone in the CE thread. Keep it up y’all. Also squirrelly is a real engineer, not a boat engineer.

I have no memory of starting this thread.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 1, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

See kids this is an example of how to properly disagree with someone in the CE thread. Keep it up y’all.

I have no memory of starting this thread.

Aw shucks :3:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You want some traffic fun?

Instead of a roundabout, its a weird figure eight. If you’re going faster than 15mph or so it almost feels like you’re going to flip. This is in Hays, KS.

The vestigial Vine St. isn’t actually a road anymore. The yellow road is Vine now.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FrozenVent posted:

COMRADS! YOU HAD ME AT MAYDAY

CELEBRATE YOUR WORKING CLASS COMRADES!

Posts that belong in the news thread:

-Actual news
-Discussions of news. "Well I think this could have been averted if the engineer had not overgreased the bearing like a monkey who only knows one trick."
-Debate about news. "I disagree, over-lubbing a shaft bearing is a valid approach if one considers the Engin R DUMB theorem"

Things that don't belong in the news thread:

-Discussing other posters. "Stop licking the engineer's boot you dumb piece of poo poo."
-Ad hominem attack. "I bet you got your engineering license in a trashcan, where you belong, you engineer piece of poo poo."
-Attacks against merchant marine engineers. They already have it hard enough, the poor ginger bears.

This is the coast guard prepare to be boarded

Milo and POTUS posted:

Perhaps instead of asking nicely, we should be more forceful?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mr. Nice! posted:

Instead of a roundabout, its a weird figure eight. If you’re going faster than 15mph or so it almost feels like you’re going to flip. This is in Hays, KS.

The vestigial Vine St. isn’t actually a road anymore. The yellow road is Vine now.

I've been to Hays once before and I'm trying to remember if I saw that.

Edit: I did drive through that intersection but I don't remember anything jumping out at me as weird about it.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 1, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

This is the coast guard prepare to be boarded

My gangway is ready. :whatup:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Flikken posted:

I've been to Hays once before and I'm trying to remember if I saw that.

Edit: I did drive through that intersection but I don't remember anything jumping out at me as weird about it.

This is relatively new construction. It was built in the last year or so. I’ve never driven through anything like it.

It’s very much a traffic calming design because people used to race down vine at 60+ and now you can’t go faster than 20 through that part or you’re gonna have a bad day.

E: google street view hasn’t updated since the construction so it still looks like two lighted intersections. It’s very different now.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 1, 2021

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is relatively new construction. It was built in the last year or so. I’ve never driven through anything like it.

It’s very much a traffic calming design because people used to race down vine at 60+ and now you can’t go faster than 20 through that part or you’re gonna have a bad day.

E: google street view hasn’t updated since the construction so it still looks like two lighted intersections. It’s very different now.

Ok, I was out there in December of 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I hate to be the one who has to say it out loud, but that traffic device is way too sexy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I still prefer the diverging diamond, if only because some rear end in a top hat will always gently caress it up and slam into oncoming traffic.

I hate driving through Kansas, probably going to pass through it this summer unless I detour around.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think once you get to talking about roundabouts you’re caught in the matrix time loop and something needs to happen to pull you out of it. You do not have the will power.

Roundabouts rule though.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I still prefer the diverging diamond, if only because some rear end in a top hat will always gently caress it up and slam into oncoming traffic.

I hate driving through Kansas, probably going to pass through it this summer unless I detour around.

The whole point of the diverging diamond is to lessen the possibility of that. You'd have to drive over a curb.

We've got 1 in PA. 2 more under construction to my knowledge.

They put roundabouts in at the front and back end of my home town and I think someone plowed through the sign under the influence in the first week.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1388495729866403849?s=21

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The whole point of the diverging diamond is to lessen the possibility of that. You'd have to drive over a curb.

"Ain't no curb gonna stop my illiterate rear end with my big pickup, woo!"

The one time I saw someone go the wrong way on the one here in the Springs (Fillmore exit), it was an absolutely ancient guy that was probably legally blind in a decade or so old truck. DDs are well designed but you're still gonna have the ancients who refuse to follow the signage because "that's the wrong side of the road! (dry fart)."

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

We've got 1 in PA. 2 more under construction to my knowledge.

They put roundabouts in at the front and back end of my home town and I think someone plowed through the sign under the influence in the first week.

That's because pennsylvania roads are a madmax free for all

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flikken posted:

That's because pennsylvania roads are a madmax free for all

I mean, well yes, noone debates this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
everyone on every freeway everywhere is a horrible monster