Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I still prefer the diverging diamond, if only because some rear end in a top hat will always gently caress it up and slam into oncoming traffic.

I hate driving through Kansas, probably going to pass through it this summer unless I detour around.

Oh are those the intersection where you drive on the 'wrong side' for a bit to allow easy transfer to get on highways etc? They just finished one here in Lacey WA if it's the same deal

E: here's some nice Utah ASMR esque about a DDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5AatLWvcg

stackofflapjacks fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, you switch sides before like, an overpass.

They're seriously really good at cutting down traffic jams at interstate junctions.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

US Berder Patrol posted:

everyone on every freeway everywhere is a horrible monster

In Pennsylvania,

No ladar, radar only for state police and only stationary.

Speed limits are treated as optional....

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, you switch sides before like, an overpass.

They're seriously really good at cutting down traffic jams at interstate junctions.

Or you could just build a single road at a time without considering any future roads which eventually leads to a bunch of merging traffic every half a mile.

When DC becomes a state they need to make sure it stands for Doin’ Construction in the constitution.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

Or you could just build a single road at a time without considering any future roads which eventually leads to a bunch of merging traffic every half a mile.

Getting strong Denver vibes. Like, I-25 north of the 225 split, just an endless parade of exits and onramps until you get to I-70. And that's a goddamn mess too. Love to drop from 75 to 15 to not slam into the barriers at the exit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

You want some traffic fun?

Instead of a roundabout, its a weird figure eight. If you’re going faster than 15mph or so it almost feels like you’re going to flip. This is in Hays, KS.

The vestigial Vine St. isn’t actually a road anymore. The yellow road is Vine now.

Or you could just try a regular, no frills roundabout in Shitkicker Country and see what wacky hijinks ensue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDaQZUzJCNM

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And this is what happens when your driver education and testing is about on par with giving away driver's licenses in a crackerjack box.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s not signed or marked out properly.

I would hope that it’s also mid construction given that the reddish-pink areas look like raised areas but aren’t actually raised?

Then again, it could just be Kansas.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Not really a current event but this video on the most important moment in baseball history came out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIFJA6JtsI

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

not caring here posted:

And this is what happens when your driver education and testing is about on par with giving away driver's licenses in a crackerjack box.

I had a hard rear end for a driving tester at the DMV. It was a low population county and everyone got him as a teenager for like, a 30 year stretch. He was the type that would put his coffee on the dash and if you spilled a drop, you'd see him again in a week.

I'd been driving cars on the farm since I was 12, tractors at 13, grain trucks at 14. I failed twice. Once because the sidewalk was icy and someone fell on their rear end trying to walk by as I was doing a 3 point, weren't even in the way.

I took my third test in a different county, larger population, sailed right through because I could parallel park.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Getting strong Denver vibes. Like, I-25 north of the 225 split, just an endless parade of exits and onramps until you get to I-70. And that's a goddamn mess too. Love to drop from 75 to 15 to not slam into the barriers at the exit.

Denver traffic wouldn't be so nightmarish if the roads weren't hell.

Still better than roads in louisiana. poo poo destroyed my mustangs suspension just driving through

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I had YouTube on in the background for bird sounds (for my birds, duh) and this obnoxious Nissan ad came on like "cars used to mean freedom! Cars used to be your life! Now with Nissan cars cars truck sub truck freedom America!" loving insanity

:lol: Amateurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ecPy6i2fg

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I realize this is about the revolutionary war, but my mind always breaks when I watch it and I expect a civil war commercial where southerners are driving their dodges to the battlefield to fight chevys and fords, but have a factory recalled part fail along the way and they lose because only half their people show. Maybe that's a commercial for ford or chevy to make in response.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

A driver on a narrow street in Queens this week tried to pass another car by going into the bike lane at 50mph. Newsworthy because, in so doing, they collided at full speed into an outdoor dining space, murdering one and wounding another—avoiding an all-out massacre only because there were hardly any diners at the time. Police initially announced it was a result of a medical incident, but then video came out

To cops, people who kill people with cars are honorary reserve constables

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I had a hard rear end for a driving tester at the DMV. It was a low population county and everyone got him as a teenager for like, a 30 year stretch. He was the type that would put his coffee on the dash and if you spilled a drop, you'd see him again in a week.

I'd been driving cars on the farm since I was 12, tractors at 13, grain trucks at 14. I failed twice. Once because the sidewalk was icy and someone fell on their rear end trying to walk by as I was doing a 3 point, weren't even in the way.

I took my third test in a different county, larger population, sailed right through because I could parallel park.

I failed my written test first go around. It was a 2 parter, and I got 20/20 and 8/10, that was a fail. Passed it second time. My practical test I jump in the car, and there's this gruff old fuckin' unit in there, I say hi, and he says "I tested police on their pursuit cert for 20 years, and if they failed, I made them walk back. You're lucky I can't do that with you."

I scraped by, and he said I was his first first-time-go that he'd had in years, but he would've failed me except I was blipping the throttle on the down shift and he liked that.

In the US, day 1 I took the written, the computer stopped bothering to ask me questions at 20 correct and said I passed. Day 2 I took my practical test and it was a leisurely drive through a local neighborhood, and then a parallel park in a mazda 3 that I probably could've nosed a tahoe into front first.

I honestly thought the lady was fuckin' with me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I let mine expire and had to get a new one after 5 years of nor driving. I did the practical, and she marked a bunch if poo poo off, but when we pulled into the dmv at the end she asked how long I had been driving without a license, so I explained the situation. She said every mistake I made was one that you see as a result of learned experience, crossed out the whole test and passed me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My driving test in VA was 15 minutes of error-free driving in a 45 minute test period. My instructor was chill but loved to troll kids.

About 35 minutes into my test period I cracked and asked "how am I doing?" :ohdear:

Answer: "Oh, you passed the first time. I've just been enjoying the ride ever since." :troll:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My driving test was in an empty parking lot and the guy said treat it like I’m driving around an empty parking lot and then failed me for not using signals.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My driving test in VA was 15 minutes of error-free driving in a 45 minute test period. My instructor was chill but loved to troll kids.

About 35 minutes into my test period I cracked and asked "how am I doing?" :ohdear:

Answer: "Oh, you passed the first time. I've just been enjoying the ride ever since." :troll:

That's loving great

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my guy was on his phone the entire time and completely missed me rolling a stop sign

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My first driving test instructor failed me because someone else came to a complete stop at an intersection where I had a stop sign and they didn't, we both sat there for 30 seconds, then I finally made the first move because the other car clearly didn't know what it was doing.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My only point of contention with your comment is that Design Speed is not the controlling design factor in urban geometric design. Current design standards heavily consider multi-modal and pedestrian access needs, however were not standardized until the 1980's, well after most of American urban infrastructure was already constructed. Transforming from the former to the latter is going to cost $Texas and DOTs are critically underfunded and forced to prioritize budgets of failing infrastructure (and litigation), even prior to COVID.
That's certainly fair: a metro area unfortunately can't overhaul its infrastructure overnight, but even the latest construction too often seems to minimally accommodate non-car traffic rather than treat it as an equal. An ADA-compliant pedestrian island with bollards in the middle of a 6-lane road, for example, is better than nothing, but that the 6-lane road exists at all, carving a canyon into a populous urban neighborhood, suggests that we still have a very long way to go when it comes to priorities.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of Biden's infrastructure plan.

Best Friends posted:

To cops, people who kill people with cars are honorary reserve constables
It should be noted that the GOP is actively pushing protections for vehicular violence against protestors through state legislatures throughout the country. There's a real likelihood that the next round of major protests will see a higher rate of chuds deliberately ramming their lifted trucks into a crowd and getting off on the claim that they felt threatened.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

not caring here posted:

I took a test once over half my life ago and never again had to demonstrate competency other than showing up to the DMV every 5 years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Weird how feeling threatened overwhelmingly happens to white conservatives with the capability to do lethal violence then and there against people who can't respond in kind

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

It should be noted that the GOP is actively pushing protections for vehicular violence against protestors through state legislatures throughout the country. There's a real likelihood that the next round of major protests will see a higher rate of chuds deliberately ramming their lifted trucks into a crowd and getting off on the claim that they felt threatened.

And then we're going to see developments in diy anti vehicle weapons and tactics, which will then start getting used outside of protests. :patriot:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I accidentally ran a red light my first driving test, that was fun.

e: I did not pass

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope idiots in 20 years refer to the American equivalent of The Troubles as The Cool Zone unironically in their papers and books

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
second shot is in my arm, :hellyeah:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BUG JUG posted:

Happy May Day.

gently caress all bosses.

Workers of the world unite.

Someone should really start promoting May Day as "the holiday the government doesn't want you to observe" and see if the qanon/pubbie crowd starts eating it up.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Platystemon posted:

I break this rule all the time, but “antennae” implies insect characteristics.

Cyborgs have antennas.

Mothman > alligator, IMO. Let me know if you turn into one.

But what if you're a Kamen Rider

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Current event: my modem roasted itself on Thursday and the replacement arrived today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

M_Gargantua posted:

I hope idiots in 20 years refer to the American equivalent of The Troubles as The Cool Zone unironically in their papers and books

We’re not even calling B.1.429 the Christmas tree strain.

We are incapable of using cool names.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mods?

Man trapped in porto-john at Gettysburg National Park

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Very Dear Sarah:

Indications are very strong the bowel shall move in a few days, perhaps to-morrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write a few lines, that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine, O God be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the blue-water for any country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

shame on an IGA posted:

My Very Dear Sarah:

Indications are very strong the bowel shall move in a few days, perhaps to-morrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write a few lines, that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine, O God be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the blue-water for any country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter.

:perfect:

but also reported for shitposting.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wow so the side effects on the second moderna have an 18 hour delay it seems.

This sucks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

That's certainly fair: a metro area unfortunately can't overhaul its infrastructure overnight, but even the latest construction too often seems to minimally accommodate non-car traffic rather than treat it as an equal.

New York has the right idea. Just start closing off some roads to cars - allow only pedestrians, bikes, public transportation, and emergency vehicles. Ideally this causes more traffic on other roads, which will in turn make more people more likely to choose non-car forms of transportation. Most downtown areas would be way more vibrant if they just banned cars from at least every other street.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

boop the snoot posted:

This sucks.

I’m right there with you - I’m at about 30 hours post shot and it sucks balls. Ibuprofen helps

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Take acetaminophen damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

This sucks.

My symptoms started rough on hour 12, then I needed 24 hours of tylenol and snapped back to normal the next morning. It was very weird.

Use the hell out of tylenol, plus an NSAID. Take them at the same time or stagger every few hours or whatever. My parents and brother were all stubborn as hell, didn't take anything, and regretted it. Mother/Father both had a rough one with Moderna, brother spiked to a 103 fever on Pfizer.