Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I drink quite a lot of water (nothing insane) and I can't help but wonder if that didn't help me because I weathered both Pfizer shots really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Fever is why I was told take tylenol.

I didn't even quit smoking weed for the shot. Went home, smoked, napped, played video games. But J&J, not a two shotter. Arm was meh for a day or so.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Meanwhile, in the UK:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/newsbeat-56951642

3000 people raving, no masks, no distancing, but you had to show a negative test.

There's relaxing restrictions, then there's not so much tempting fate as inviting disaster

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

boop the snoot posted:

Wow so the side effects on the second moderna have an 18 hour delay it seems.

This sucks.

Yeah, it was by far the worst reaction I've ever had to a vaccine and I felt like poo poo the whole following day. Fortunately it seems to completely go away after a day for most people.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I drink quite a lot of water (nothing insane) and I can't help but wonder if that didn't help me because I weathered both Pfizer shots really well.

Yeah I got recommended to drink a lot of water.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fever is why I was told take tylenol.

I didn't even quit smoking weed for the shot. Went home, smoked, napped, played video games. But J&J, not a two shotter. Arm was meh for a day or so.

The trial data had no restrictions on literally *anything* that people can do after the shot, just nothing *before* the shot. The body's response to the mRNA/adenovirus-induced spike proteins is to get inflamed like hell, so NSAIDs would be the most effective. But just in case letting the inflammation run its course increases overall protection, tylenol gets recommended over NSAIDs, because tylenol barely does anything for inflammation. That said, the CDC doesn't care, just as long as you don't take anything right before the shot.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Be careful not to go knocking women into their periods just by being around them.

/\ thank you that's much more thorough than the nurse who just said "no ibuprofen."

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 1, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a bunch of edibles that will knock me out if it gets too terrible.

It just kind of snuck up on me. I thought i was in the clear since I felt fine all day and next thing I know I’m shivering under a blanket but also hot at the same time because fevers are a cruel son of a bitch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t take pain medications just for the hell of it, but don’t hesitate to take them if side effects are preventing you from functioning or especially if you have significant fever.

Our data on “maybe NSAIDs bad for immune response” comes from petri dishes and laboratory animals and it’s not definitive. Trial participants recorded NSAID use (and paracetamol), but it wasn’t disqualifying and they weren’t binned separately for efficacy analysis.

In the Pfizer trial, a quarter of participants took pain medication after the first shot and half took it after the second.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Meanwhile, in the UK:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/newsbeat-56951642

3000 people raving, no masks, no distancing, but you had to show a negative test.

There's relaxing restrictions, then there's not so much tempting fate as inviting disaster

Those are some amateur numbers.

https://twitter.com/HayesGardner/status/1388611501246799872?s=20

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s like 1/4 capacity so it’s fine!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“This mint julep has no flavor!”

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

“This mint julep has no flavor!”

Its like the beginning of Mars Attacks! where they kill everyone of importance because they are in the same room.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1388622408198807558

https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1388630676430327812

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1388630275165466625

As for the COVID concerns, it's lovely that there's a lot of indoor poo poo involved at the Derby, but it's mostly outside and spaced out, so I'm not going to scold them too hard about it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Its like the beginning of Mars Attacks! where they kill everyone of importance because they are in the same room.

I wish mars attacks would happen, but noOoOo, we can't have the head of Sarah Jessica Parker on a chihuahua.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

make more people more likely to choose non-car forms of transportation.

The idea of annoying drivers enough to not drive, is "The free market will regulate itself" but wearing a "i like trains" t-shirt.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CainFortea posted:

The idea of annoying drivers enough to not drive, is "The free market will regulate itself" but wearing a "i like trains" t-shirt.

Driving to work sucks. I was lucky enough to be able to live close by to a bus stop that dropped me off at my office downtown for a year and that poo poo owned.

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1388622408198807558

https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1388630676430327812

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1388630275165466625

As for the COVID concerns, it's lovely that there's a lot of indoor poo poo involved at the Derby, but it's mostly outside and spaced out, so I'm not going to scold them too hard about it.

Steve Kornacki has had himself a year.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CainFortea posted:

If something changed and a car commute that took 20 minutes now took 40, but the bus or a bike still took 30 minutes, you wouldn't reconsider your options?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or you could just try a regular, no frills roundabout in Shitkicker Country and see what wacky hijinks ensue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDaQZUzJCNM

I saw this on Reddit and this was either opened prematurely or poorly designed. There is no signage and the earthwork BMPs (Best Management Practices) are still installed.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

shame on an IGA posted:

My Very Dear Sarah:

Indications are very strong the bowel shall move in a few days, perhaps to-morrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write a few lines, that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine, O God be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the blue-water for any country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wingnut Ninja posted:

:perfect:

but also reported for shitposting.

:drat:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CainFortea posted:

Folks favor the faster, more reliable option. That driving oneself into work wins out for many Americans doesn't reflect an inherent superiority of the car, but a century's worth of policy that has not just prioritized cars, but imposed them as the only viable option for a huge swathe of the country. You're right in that shifting the massive subsidies given to personal automobiles back to transit risks massive backlash if that transit isn't an unambiguous and accessible improvement from the get-go (to say nothing of just dumb conservative culture war bullshit). Getting that sequencing and messaging right is hard and probably nonviable outside of major metro areas. It's still worth doing where we can.

It's also important to acknowledge these "things that annoy drivers" are typically things that empower folks to choose alternate modes of transportation by making them safe and accessible. Dropping lanes of car traffic for protected bike and bus lanes, putting in curb extensions and islands, and closing off residential streets to car traffic all help provide assurance to folks that they can choose to reliably walk, roll, or bus to wherever without fear of a negligent or outright sociopathic driver turning them or their children into a red smear on the pavement.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If something changed and a car commute that took 20 minutes now took 40, but the bus or a bike still took 30 minutes, you wouldn't reconsider your options?

Your question is taking quite a lot of liberties with what I actually said.

You're assuming alternatives exist. You're also assuming that if alternatives exist, they are reliable.

I mean, personally in my case it would take 1.5 hours to use any non-car option. And even if you did make my car commute take 2 hours instead of 25 minutes, no I still wouldn't because I actually have to show up on time. And the last time I had to rely on public transport to get to work, I got written up for being late so frequently due to busses leaving early, or the train not going.

But you've entirely missed the point. The point is that going "Hey, lets just make cars take a lot longer, i'm totally sure a reliable and effective public transit system will just magically appear!" is the same thing as people talking about how the free market will fix all the problems.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Your question is taking quite a lot of liberties with what I actually said.

You're assuming alternatives exist. You're also assuming that if alternatives exist, they are reliable.

I mean, personally in my case it would take 1.5 hours to use any non-car option. And even if you did make my car commute take 2 hours instead of 25 minutes, no I still wouldn't because I actually have to show up on time. And the last time I had to rely on public transport to get to work, I got written up for being late so frequently due to busses leaving early, or the train not going.

But you've entirely missed the point. The point is that going "Hey, lets just make cars take a lot longer, i'm totally sure a reliable and effective public transit system will just magically appear!" is the same thing as people talking about how the free market will fix all the problems.

I don't see what any of this has to do with restricting car traffic in urban cores. These are places with existing reliable public transport options and where distances are small enough to accomodate bicycle commutes. The suggestion (which is being tested by cities with reasonably good results, by the way) wasn't to shut down freeways, but allowing cars on 3rd and 5th streets but keeping them off 4th.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, because I often have to go to other places after work than what public transport has routes for. I live in near a big city with a large metro and bus system and horrible traffic. Yet driving still takes me half the time to go to work than taking two buses and two metro trains.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Meshka posted:

No, because I often have to go to other places after work than what public transport has routes for. I live in near a big city with a large metro and bus system and horrible traffic. Yet driving still takes me half the time to go to work than taking two buses and two metro trains.

To add to this, most Americans will not give up driving nor should they. I think that the government should provide a financial incentive to produce and help buy electric vehicles and at the same time enact regulations to penalize gas powered vehicle production.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hell, i'd love to not have to use my car all the time. If I could just shitpost or play pokemon on my way to and from work that would be rad.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Meshka posted:

To add to this, most Americans will not give up driving nor should they. I think that the government should provide a financial incentive to produce and help buy electric vehicles and at the same time enact regulations to penalize gas powered vehicle production.

This is exactly the attitude that prevents anything good from getting done. Mass transit and bike/pedestrian traffic are way, way more efficient than any sort of passenger car, including electric cars.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Hell, i'd love to not have to use my car all the time. If I could just shitpost or play pokemon on my way to and from work that would be rad.

I assure you it is as awesome as you think it is.

e: I think it might even be better in the post-COVID era.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

My Very Dear Sarah:

Indications are very strong the bowel shall move in a few days, perhaps to-morrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write a few lines, that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine, O God be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the blue-water for any country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I feel like there's some context that not everyone has seen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Ballou#Letter_to_Sarah_Ballou

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is exactly the attitude that prevents anything good from getting done. Mass transit and bike/pedestrian traffic are way, way more efficient than any sort of passenger car, including electric cars.

Maybe inside a big city, but most people cannot afford to move closer to work so you would have to have European scale mass transit systems in the suburbs. Also lol at bikes in United States, a massive country. I would rather quit my job than bike to work and back four hours a day. Now add weather and physical impairments to that.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

CainFortea posted:

I'd like to piggyback off this, hasn't the pandemic shown that a lot of positions can be done via work from home? What if the need to drive to work at all was reduced? I know there would be huge pushback but what if the government gave companies their sweet sweet tax breaks if a certain percentage of their workforce was work from home? This would help with climate change as well right? You could even alternate like some companies come in person on certain weekdays and others get other week days. Which kind of defeats the purpose I guess and introduces all the issues being discussed. Didn't the first month of the pandemic see a huge drop in pollution? I seem to remember something about that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Iain posted:

I'd like to piggyback off this, hasn't the pandemic shown that a lot of positions can be done via work from home? What if the need to drive to work at all was reduced? I know there would be huge pushback but what if the government gave companies their sweet sweet tax breaks if a certain percentage of their workforce was work from home? This would help with climate change as well right? You could even alternate like some companies come in person on certain weekdays and others get other week days. Which kind of defeats the purpose I guess and introduces all the issues being discussed. Didn't the first month of the pandemic see a huge drop in pollution? I seem to remember something about that.

The first month was very light traffic everywhere.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

I feel like there's some context that not everyone has seen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Ballou#Letter_to_Sarah_Ballou

Yeah, not to backseat moderate but that was a well thought out joke based on current events. Definitely was a shitpost though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This forum has the backseat of a vista cruiser. Or one of those VA transport shuttles.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Oh my god, that was a joke because it was literally a post about poo poo, I didn't actually report it. Now I feel like a monster. :ohdear:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The fact of the matter is that people can't afford to move closer to their jobs (if that even is an option), public transit is absolute dogshit everywhere in the US, and people need to get to work on time and reliably.

Making places more walkable and safer is great, but making it worse for people who need to drive isn't going to magically make people take public transit as long as public transit is still poo poo. Trying to blame some person's attitude on what are deeply-rooted systemic problems is dumb.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, not to backseat moderate but that was a well thought out joke based on current events. Definitely was a shitpost though.

Now I'm having a Dean Pelton moment where I don't know what's a pun or not and I can't tell if the joke is going way the gently caress over my head or if there wasn't a joke to begin with.

Either way, shame on an IGA should wear that sixer like a Purple Heart.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Now I'm having a Dean Pelton moment where I don't know what's a pun or not and I can't tell if the joke is going way the gently caress over my head or if there wasn't a joke to begin with.

Dude got trapped in a porta potty in Gettysburg

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Honestly I thought the joke and the probation are both hilarious.

Edit: VVV Even better

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 2, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It was a joke 6er. Both parties talk to each other off the forums and were laughing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Flikken posted:

Dude got trapped in a porta potty in Gettysburg

I KNOW GODDAMNIT