Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I KNOW GODDAMNIT

Was it you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tbf I wish it would have been because that would have meant that I spent my day having an experience I’d never forget at a Civil War battlefield instead of attempting to install sliding doors on my closet and dealing with every possible curveball that a 110-year old building can throw at someone doing a pretty basic bit of home improvement.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

Weird how feeling threatened overwhelmingly happens to white conservatives with the capability to do lethal violence then and there against people who can't respond in kind

What's weird is any got convicted at all

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

My Very Dear Sarah:

Indications are very strong the bowel shall move in a few days, perhaps to-morrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write a few lines, that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine, O God be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the blue-water for any country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It's a p good pastiche and what's with this probe. This man struggled for our country

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh my god, that was a joke because it was literally a post about poo poo, I didn't actually report it. Now I feel like a monster. :ohdear:

To be fair, he wasn't probated because he was reported. I hate this thread and just skim it for dumb poo poo - was scrolling in the app and my name popped up in purple. He's probated cause I had to sit there and read that. :cheers:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, not to backseat moderate but that was a well thought out joke based on current events. Definitely was a shitpost though.

The joke here is the letter is to Sarah, and my name is Sarah. In case you missed that. :wink:

Sarah fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 2, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Truly the great divide of the sexes: poop jokes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marilyn Manson sued for rape and abuse:

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/marilyn-manson-sued-game-of-thrones-actress-rape-1234964002/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Good grief that Manson guy really is hosed in the head.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They gonna put him in solitary and he's gonna be real upset he didn't actually get the surgery then

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't think I've listened to anything of his thoroughly since coma black or whatever it was called around 2001. Holy wood? I tried listening to him again about a decade ago, but he just seemed to be fighting to stay relevant. His reign truly was the late 90s, when parents were making GBS threads their pants over Lunchbox.

E: wow that's hosed up. Hope she takes him to the cleaners.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 2, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why is he getting sued for that stuff? Shouldn't the police be involved?

Edit: Looks like he's being investigated too

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 2, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It happened a decade ago. What's the statutes of limitations for charges relevant to the accusation? I guess it'd be California since that's where it happened.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sarah posted:

I hate this thread

Awww, but why? This thread has pretty much the best news analysis I've seen on SA

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Awww, but why? This thread has pretty much the best news analysis I've seen on SA

Let me ask you your opinions on public transit....

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

Public transit options, they could and should be better!

*Sound of cars gearing up to murder me from four counties away*

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We should scrap all cars and redesign our urban centers around those battery powered scooters

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Kesper North posted:

The past year or so I try not to get too into reading news because it’s depressing as gently caress. Working full time, going to school full time, and raising a toddler and wondering what kind of world I brought her into is stressful. Constant reminders the world is garbage adds too much stress.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sarah posted:

The past year or so I try not to get too into reading news because it’s depressing as gently caress. Working full time, going to school full time, and raising a toddler and wondering what kind of world I brought her into is stressful. Constant reminders the world is garbage adds too much stress.

That's extremely understandable!

We Apologize For The Inconvenience (And Horror)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kesper North posted:

That's extremely understandable!

We Apologize For The Inconvenience (And Horror)

On the plus side, society is healing and the United States is getting more and more Back To Normal

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1388705557213630470

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmfao

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bulletsponge13 posted:

I am a serious aficionado of light rail and long walks

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're a big fan of long marches we can branch the discussion out to rocketry

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just steer clear of Mayelin village.
https://twitter.com/_DanielSinclair/status/1275276185744945152?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Double posting because holy poo poo their safety protocols are still hot garbage 24 years later. Some American space nerds are whiny about SpaceX not being able to jerk regulators around, but I'm happy with a minor delay on launches if it means we're taking the steps necessary to avoid a mass casualty event.

https://youtu.be/GjlB48N7Tus

There was also a video with interviews with foreign press who were present for the Mayelin disaster recounting the village streets teaming with children eager to watch the rocket beforehand on their way to the press viewing location, and catching fleeting glimpses of the devastation as their government handlers rushed them out and confiscated their equipment. Can't find it with a quick search, so either I'm dumb or the CCP flagged it with enough bogus reports to take it down.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 2, 2021

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Grip it and rip it posted:

We should scrap all cars and redesign our urban centers around those battery powered scooters

I vote for this, if for no other reason than free entertainment. Have you seen how loving funny it is when some dumbass eats absolute poo poo after being catapulted off of one of those things?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/huge-rocket-chinas-space-station-180416640.html

They've decided to offer up to the world a chance to experience what Chinese villages get to experience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/huge-rocket-chinas-space-station-180416640.html

They've decided to offer up to the world a chance to experience what Chinese villages get to experience.

What's anybody going to do about it even if it squashes a city?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
To drive my earlier point home, this just happened in Seattle: https://twitter.com/MarcusKulik/status/1388741331460116482?s=19

Victim is okay as the attacker fortunately didn't floor it. Tweet says arrested, though may just be detained to give a statement.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Every time I'm stuck in traffic I think the gas tax is too low. Raise the gas tax, fund public transit, keep going until public transit is good, and traffic is low.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Replace all cars with gyrocopters.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Rail.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
build bullet train intercity networks and bring back rural whistlestops and twee wood panelled streetcars with ringing metal bells and chimes

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
One of the ways I've seen cities driving up the use of public transport here in the UK and in some European cities is by building large carparks on the outer edges of cities and then having free or cheap bus/light rail into the city centre from there. This allows people from commuter towns/suburbs to still drive into the city without having to wait on limited or irregular public transport out of the denser inner city routes, while allowing for high levels of inner city public transport where it makes more sense.

I seem to remember from my time in the US that most American city centres are 50% car park at the moment, but is this type of system viable at all? Then you don't penalise poorer people who are forced to live far away from jobs and need to drive in, you can pedestrianise some of the more dense city centre, and you can guarantee high usage of public transport which makes it more attractive to set up

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

bulletsponge13 posted:

Personally I always wanted one, but I'd be afraid of my engineering ability having an incident with gravity.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

Personally I always wanted one, but I'd be afraid of my engineering ability having an incident with gravity.

Gravity is the only law I can't break.

E-I have titanium knees from my last effort.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

DJ Burette posted:

I seem to remember from my time in the US that most American city centres are 50% car park at the moment, but is this type of system viable at all? Then you don't penalise poorer people who are forced to live far away from jobs and need to drive in, you can pedestrianise some of the more dense city centre, and you can guarantee high usage of public transport which makes it more attractive to set up
Would note that there's a ton of overlap in folks fighting for alternate transportation options and those fighting for affordability that would allow people to live where they want. Walkable neighborhoods shouldn't ever be a luxury of the elite. Folks who want to live in the city can live in the city, folks who want to live out in the burbs or rural areas can live there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

is a catch 22. you need the money to prove its viable to the american people, and the buy in of enough of a city to completely tear down and rebuild large chunks of it, but to get those you need those people to actually buy in and believe in it.

and the process of getting from A to B is likely to be so painful that it will turn off other cities from want to do that to themselves

those cities that you point to that are like that were all built on old cities that predate cars, and so were already designed to accommodate pedestrians. thats not really true of many american cities

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

is a catch 22. you need the money to prove its viable to the american people, and the buy in of enough of a city to completely tear down and rebuild large chunks of it, but to get those you need those people to actually buy in and believe in it

Cut police budgets by 20%, rebuild entire transit infrastructure with instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have this radical theory that if we dumped almost every single tax dollar into education, it would start a domino effect that would solve every other problem we have in this stupid country.