Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Platystemon posted:

I break this rule all the time, but “antennae” implies insect characteristics.

Cyborgs have antennas.

Mothman > alligator, IMO. Let me know if you turn into one.

But what if you're a Kamen Rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're a big fan of long marches we can branch the discussion out to rocketry

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/private-equity-firm-revives-zombie-fossil-fuel-power-plant-to-mine-bitcoin/

quote:

Few bitcoin projects illustrate the cryptocurrency’s enormous climate impact better than the Greenidge power plant in upstate New York. The once-abandoned power plant was bought by private equity firm Atlas Holdings and retasked. A significant portion of Greenidge's electricity no longer powers nearby homes or businesses; rather, the plant's smokestacks are increasingly pouring pollutants into the atmosphere in the service of mining bitcoin.

Now, Greenidge is on the verge of ramping up its bitcoin ambitions. By the end of this year, it plans to have 18,000 specialized machines mining bitcoin, and with the recent approval of its data center expansion plans, it will add 10,500 more. When the project is complete, the miners will be using 79 percent of the power plant’s capacity, or 85 MW.

If only that Green Energy bitcoin twitter guy could explain this

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Different kind of crappy news, it was announced yesterday that Kentaro Miura the author of Berserk passed away earlier this month at the age of 54 from an aortic dissection. Berserk influenced a ton of modern media but what it does better than all the grimdark stuff after it is tell a story about people struggling and succeeding at surviving in a hellish, uncaring world by learning the strength of finding others to support you and the will to keep striving no matter what horrible things life throws your way.

People joke a lot about how in the past few years he took a bunch of hiatuses and spent his time playing anime games but the guy spent his entire young adulthood working on his story with multiple stories of him only having two days off a year or not seeing the sun for weeks at a time. I'm glad he found a work-life balance that worked for him in the end but I'm sad that what he put his body through for the sake of art and deadlines caught up to him regardless.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

https://twitter.com/1DalM/status/1395747049019162629

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve been listening to The Lolita Podcast while I work in the backyard, and let me tell you, western media has a history with young girls.

It’s not great :barf:

Everywhere you go in this rotten world every society has done awful things to young women. The biggest lie the West tells itself is that we're somehow above it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CainFortea posted:

I'm less bothered about the space golf courses use as the amount of water. They average 130,000 gallons per course per day.

For sense of scale, flint Michigan needs about 95,000 gallons of drinking water per day.

Yeah I was about to point out that it's not a matter of Fertile Soil Otherwise Usable For Farming but that they sink gallons of water into maintaining not native plantlife for recreational purposes. If the soil is garbage who cares, I'm sure the plants that used to live there didn't mind it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The cat is a loving op too, stay woke

This has to be the fastest turn around from "here's a cute kitty" to "lol here's a horrible story about a cat dying"