Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

not caring here posted:

And this is what happens when your driver education and testing is about on par with giving away driver's licenses in a crackerjack box.

I took a test once over half my life ago and never again had to demonstrate competency other than showing up to the DMV every 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Handsome Ralph posted:

As someone who had to deal with similar stupidity in regards to the bosses not liking work from home (and have since relented and given us most of our wfh options back)...gently caress that lady. Big :lol: at the self own of admitting on the op-ed that she asks employees to do around 20 percent of work they weren't hired to do. I'm sure that will go well.
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1390649427908612101?s=19

Good on the Washingtonian for the work stoppage. Hope it works out for them.

I think she does describe an interesting and worthwhile concern in that piece re: the contractualization of jobs and unaccounted-for labor, but I also think she should probably shut the hell up.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The CEO shouldn't be complaining. She does have a real responsibility to solve this impasse and even if she is employee first (and I don't think she is) there is this impasse. A business must either treat remote employees equal 'fairly' not reward in person employees for the unaccounted labor since remote employees don't have access, or they end up in a situation where in person employees have a benefit because they have access to potential work contributions that remote employees dont.

You can try and codify the labor difference there, either with amazon-style bathroom break tracking but based on quantifying productive water cooler talk and small in person tasks that get done much easier without having to be codified and scheduled in an email. But that might end up looking a lot like contract work for the remote employees unless the remote employees find ways to overcome social and convenience divides. If the demographics she ascribes are accurate, they won't--at least not through online (local remote employee get togethers at rented remote offices or coffee shops might actually have huge benefits unseen because everyone is in their house still).

I think the way this is going to shake out long term is that a hybrid strategy is going to suffer in work satisfaction and productivity leading to separation of strategies, with in-person focused and remote-focused workplaces. Hybrid models that succeed are going to do so through either having one modeled company contract from the other modeled company or through companies with divisions separated by methodology so the two groups don't compete against one another. That last option will be super risky unless you're large.

If a CEO sees this coming, she should probably consider what her business should do about it. She should probably talk to her employees about ways to split the company and these labor requirements fairly and find a method, from the people who will have to execute that method, on how to solve this potentially company ruining distinction. She should put on the table for them the possibility of breaking apart into either separate companies or at least separate divisions and deciding the company's future model based on performance of those divisions, ideally in a fair and equitable method that provides enough time to really test and off ramps for the method that won't fit the model.

What shouldn't do is have this conversation publicly around the people whose lives you're actually talking about disrupting instead of involving then in these very difficult life changing concerns.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Now that everyone is working from home, can people stop sending emails or leaving voicemails notifying me of the fact they have 'a question' or 'some questions' and please just ask the questions in the email?

Did I miss some weird online etiquette class they're teaching high school students now? Is it rude to share the content of your inquiry before the proper dance of dodging each others calls and scheduling-then-rescheduling a zoom meeting?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Retrowave Joe posted:

One aspect of work from home culture I like is people texting to see if it’s a good time to call. Oftentimes I can get by with a no, they’ll reply with an okay and their question, and I can answer it with a text. It saves so much time and unnecessary chitchat. Have you had similar experiences?

Yeah, this is great and I definitely appreciate when people do it and I try to do it as much as possible.

"Got a minute for a phone call, or should I write a big email?"

"Got a minute for a zoom call? I'll schedule something if not."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Defenestrategy posted:

Not particularly? I've kinda stuck by "don't tell coworkers poo poo that might get you fired unless you don't care that you got fired for saying it" kinda policy with exceptions only made for coworkers who've earned my trust in Halo 1v1 Hang Em High snipers only.

If you don't commiserate with your coworkers about how Don is a dipshit, how can you possibly conspire to maneuver around Don so that things actually get done?

loving Don.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

I wonder if "howtosetfocusassist.com" is available.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Edit:

To: All except Boop the Snoot

Subj: Re: That's where you're all messed up dude.

gently caress gently caress gently caress how do you delete post?

quote:

To: All

Subj: Re: That's where you're all messed up dude.

Can you believe this guy?

boop the snoot posted:

That’s where you’re all messed up dude.

I’m Don.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ElMaligno posted:

Curant event:
Came down with ligma
Went to er
Got antibiotic shot (not in the balls)
Back home petting juniper

Alexe, send all

Do you have a family history of ligma?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boop the snoot posted:

If you have a “labor” shortage it’s probably because you actually have a “wage” shortage and a “capitalism” surplus.

Yay the market when the hand is good; must be anything but the market when things are bad.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
It's plausible that they're issuing construction equipment instead of arms to their militias, ersatz troops, conscripts and police forces as a desperate arming technique or sadism. But could this be people who's assignment is to hang notices (perhaps evacuation notices) or build barricades? Am I missing some sort of context?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Eason the Fifth posted:

Man this second shot can really get you

It didn't kick in until 14 hours after the shot for me, but I've slept for 28 of the last 34 hours. I think I'm good to go. I'd say commit to the rest if you can.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Defenestrategy posted:

I want -gate retired with Gaetzgate, it will never be better than that.

What about when Irish property management firm Investi is involved in a scandal uncovered by Bill Gates's fiance Natalie Estes? Of course, it was all a setup by Natilie Estes-Gates to to use government investigations lower share price, force the company to dilute shares and create an opportunity for hostile takeover.

Then Investi shareholders may initiate an investigation of N. Estes-Gates investments in Investi during the initial investigation of the scandalous Investi investments that prompted Investi-Gate.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boop the snoot posted:

The only people I see so far taking advantage of the new cdc guidance are older white dudes. Everyone else seems to be a fan of masks still.

For us at work the decision is wait until state, feds, university, and OSHA are all on one page , plus 14 days after vaccination which is what most places are going through as well (maybe minus feds and university, maybe add union). A lot of businesses may not be ready to follow the guidance yet and most people don't want to make a scene in case it is. I think its going to take a while for people to be comfortable in public without masks.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Arven posted:

Our whole generation has realized the only way they'll be able to retire is to lottery and are acting accordingly.

If we keep being willing to take on hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for college degrees that pay less than they cost and keep dumping all of our earnings into meme financial schemes this prophecy certainly self-fulfills.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

RFC2324 posted:

lacross is the one where is basically soccer, but on horses, right? because the sports where the barrier of entry is "can afford to own and take care of a horse" are the main ones I am thinking about

That's police. LaCrosse is soccer with sticks, but not hockey.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Athenian spotted.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Please stop calling each others fascist and Russian ops, or I will have to stand up the GIP Uncool Activity Committee (GUAC)

Also the committee is my probe button.

The GUAC has a mole.

maffew buildings posted:

Please check PMs, sent list of GIP posters engaged in subversive activities

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A guacamole.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Discussion Quorum posted:

Have you no decency, sir? At long last, have you no decency left?

I'm just a man with a chip on his shoulder.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Notahippie posted:

The fact that they don't have magazines in the rifles makes me actually trust these guys more than the randos who don't literally worship their guns but run around in condition 1 across all their five weapons while in line at Subway.

Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, though shalt treat every weapon as if it were loaded, thou shalt never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot, thou shalt keep your finger straight ahead and off the trigger finger until ready to shoot, and thou shalt keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

Sounds he was a paratrooper for a hot second.

Anyone can be a paratrooper once.