Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I accidentally ran a red light my first driving test, that was fun.

e: I did not pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

boop the snoot posted:

I’m not trying to start a flame war but it really annoys me that saying citizens need to spring into action and start demanding things from their government gets written off as victim blaming.

1) I don’t want people in Texas to die. 2) The government doesn’t care. You can’t reconcile these two things without getting accused of victim blaming.

The majority of Texans did not vote for the government that's trying to kill them. Of the 29 million people who live in Texas, only 4,656,196 voted for Abbot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PeterCat posted:

Tara Reade has a better case than Christine Ford did.

what the gently caress

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

boop the snoot posted:

God drat it I need to just move to Colorado already

I just drove through just two weeks ago and if nothing else it's an absurdly gorgeous state. I could easily spend weeks at Rocky Mountain National Park.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone who's ever played an RTS has a moment where they see a golden opportunity and a fat target and gotten a boner that could lift a desk.

What the gently caress is a squirrel gun

My guess would be that it's slang for the 37mm main gun on the Stuarts, but I'd have to check.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t know what Israel did to get the US so far up their rear end but why not just call it a US terror cell at this point because that’s what it looks like to me?

I admittedly don’t pay much attention to geopolitics and I/P has seemed too overwhelming for me to dive into. This is the most I’ve paid attention to it probably ever.

It's a very complex topic, but imo the most important thing to recognize is that this isn't some centuries or millennia-old conflict with grudges dating back to biblical times. Everything relevant essentially happened in the 20th Century, mostly around the end of the World Wars and the Cold War period. Brief timeline*:

1900s-1910s: Zionism (the idea of founding a new country by jews for jews to unify the diaspora and escape rampant anti-semitism in Europe) slowly becomes a thing. Founding the country in the then-Ottoman territory of Palestine becomes the preferred, though not the only potential option. Unsurprisingly, these proposals are deeply unpopular with the people already living there.

1910s: The Great War breaks out, with Britain and France on one side and the Ottoman Empire on the other. The gradual collapse of the dying empire (long referred to as "the sick man of europe") is hastened by the war, with various nationalist movements rising up in different parts of the empire with British and French support (if you've heard of Lawrence of Arabia, this is where/when he's running around). One of the groups the British promise to support is the zionist movement with the Balfour Declaration, though Britain and France are already plotting to divide the Ottoman holdings with the secret Sykes-Picot Treaty.

1920s-1930s: In the aftermath of the Great War, Britain and France set up new governments in the now-countries of Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Jordan, with Palestine being administered by Britain under a special League of Nations mandate. (If you've heard of the King of Jordan, this is when that royal house got established. Iraq got a king too, but he didn't last that long). The Zionist movement begins in earnest, with many Jews emigrating to Palestine, which unsurprisingly causes tensions with the locals! A three-way insurgency breaks out, with extremist Zionists on one side attempting to throw off British rule to establish Israel, Palestinians on the other trying to throw off British rule, put an end to the Zionist movement, and establish their own country, and the British caught in-between still trying to honor the Balfour Declaration while also trying to (sort of) accomodate the Palestinians through policies like limiting Jewish immigration, which of course serves to piss off the Zionists even more. ~it's a shitshow~

1940s: World War II happens. As you may recall, this was a very bad time to be a Jew in Europe! After the war, support for a Jewish state grows even more considering... recent events, and postwar Britain is increasingly incapable of keeping a lid on the brewing civil war. Eventually, the UN proposes the creation of two states, but it's too little, too late—Britain throws up its hands and leaves, the Zionists declare the new nation of Israel, and successfully defeat the immediate invasion attempt by their Arab neighbors (BIG CAVEAT HERE: the motivations of the various Arab nations were complex, and didn't just boil down "let's kill the jews." Most notably, Emir Abdullah of Transjordan was seeking to grab as much Palestinian territory as possible to incorporate into his own newborn state, and didn't even bother pushing into the Israeli-claimed areas). In the aftermath, the former Palestinian Mandate is divided into three: Israel, Gaza (Administered by Egypt) and the West Bank (Controlled by Jordan). As a result of the war, the vast majority of Palestinians living in Israeli territory are forced out (Either from fleeing the conflict or being directly evicted by Israeli forces), and end up living in refugee camps in the West Bank. After the war, the UN passes a resolution stating these refugees have the Right to Return to their former homes. This is promptly ignored.

1950s: Israel continues to fight with its neighbors, most notably during the 1956 Suez Crisis, in which Britain and France, attempted to halt the nationalization of the Suez Canal via an Israeli invasion of the Sinai. In a rare joint tag-team effort by the US and USSR, Britain, France, and Israel are effectively told to "gently caress off or else," and Israel retreats back within its own territory.

1960s: Many Arab nations, particularly Egypt and Syria, are caught up in the Pan-Arab movement lead by Gamal Abdel Nasser. Though Nasser proclaimed himself to be part of the non-aligned movement, Cold War "with us or against us" politics leads the US to begin backing Israel more strongly, as Nasser receives financial and military support from the Soviet Union. Nasser repeatedly threatens war with Israel (Though how much he actually wanted war and how much he was saying it to rile up popular support is ~debated~), and in 1967 Israel decides to strike first. The UAR (the brief combo of Egypt and Syria into a single country) and Jordan are wrecked, and Israel ends up controlling the Sinai peninsula, the Golan Heights, Gaza, and the West Bank—which comes with it the crucial prize of Jerusalem. Unfortunately for Palestinian refugees still clinging to the hope of regaining their land and homes, this is not a positive development.

1970s: 1973 sees the Yom Kippur War. Unlike previous conflicts, in which the various Arab armies got their poo poo stomped, Egyptian and Syrian forces manage to initially take the Israelis by surprise and make impressive territorial gains. Though the Israelis are ultimately able to get the upper hand, their success and survival is a near-run thing—an experience that ultimately leads to the Camp David Accords under the Carter Administration, in which Israel and Egypt are able to negotiate a peace and normalize relations. As a provision for the deal, the US begins supplying both Israel and Egypt with defense aid, a process which continues to this day—and also served to wrench Egypt free of the Soviet sphere of influence.

1980s-90s: Through decades of occupation, many Palestinians began resolving to do everything they could to liberate Palestine themselves, forming the Palestine Liberation Organization. They begin an insurgent campaign against Israel, which leads first to the Israeli invasion of southern Lebanon in 1982, and then later in the 80s with a massive series of protests, riots, and insurgent actions that are eventually labeled the Intifada. This eventually leads some in the Israeli government to begin considering peace talks, and for the first time actual, serious discussions begin between the PLO and the Israeli government. This results in the Oslo Accords, which sees a number of developments—including PLO recognition of Israel and self-government in the form of the Palestinian Authority being established. HOWEVER, the accords leave out a number of key issues (Including any commitment to a true Palestinian state), and many Palestinians resent the Accords. The accords are also resented by the Israeli far right, and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzak Rabin is assassinated shortly after the accords are signed by an Israeli extremist.

2000s-Today: Things have generally not improved. Another wave of protest and violence called the Second Intifada broke out in the early 2000s, followed by an all-out war in Gaza. Israeli settlement of the West Bank has accelerated under the long-standing right-wing government of Benjamin Netanyahu, and the majority of Palestinians now live in an increasingly restrictive police state, with almost no real freedom of movement. And it certainly doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon.

If the timeline above makes it seem like I'm sympathetic to the Palestinians, it's because obviously I am. They've lived under armed occupation for well over a century now (And even further than that if you consider the Ottomans an occupying power, which many Palestinians did), with any hope for an independent Palestine getting crushed at almost every turn—first by the British, then the Jordanians, and Israel through it all. And while a relative handful deciding to shoot rockets at Israel isn't great, it also shouldn't come as any surprise that many occupied people with no hope for a political future feel they have no options but violence.

On the other hand, it's also hard to completely demonize Israel and the concept of Zionism. The dream came about because of real violence and oppression in Europe during the early 20th century, and the horrific events of World War II and the Holocaust served as a stark reminder of what could happen if they didn't form a state for themselves that could protect them. But, of course, from very start the dream turned into a twisted reflection of itself with the expulsion of Palestinian Arabs, and much of Israel's conduct towards its occupied territories since then (And especially over the past twenty years) has been sickening.

What's the solution to this problem? gently caress if I know! But as a major backer of Israel (Partly for political reasons, and partly through treaty obligations from the Camp David Accords), the United States carries with it at least some culpability for its conduct—and its long past time we use our leverage to at least try to get them to stop being such loving monsters.

edit: this timeline is by no means comprehensive. there's a ton of stuff I missed, might have also gotten some stuff wrong. I took multiple courses on this back in college and poo poo is Complicated.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 16, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Robert Facepalmer posted:

What were the other areas being considered?

There were a whole bunch of ideas that were proposed from time to time, most notably in Uganda.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The only current event I have to report is that the best dog I've ever known passed away two days ago.

please hug your pets and/or loved ones. no matter how much time we're lucky enough to spend with them, it's never enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Thanks friends. Buddy's been around since I was in middle school, over half my life, and a part of my brain simply can't comprehend him being gone - that the next time I'm at my parents', that he won't be lounging around on the couch, sunning himself in the backyard, or bringing his harness to people to beg for walks. He was such a good, caring, intelligent dog, and losing him is just crushing - but at the same time, I'm so thankful that he was around for so long, and I had the opportunity to go back for a few days to say goodbye, and be with him at the end.

Gonna miss this mutt every second of every day. The best boy. My Buddy.