Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And no more attacking the Suez Canal with giant freighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sarah posted:

I hate this thread

Awww, but why? This thread has pretty much the best news analysis I've seen on SA

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sarah posted:

The past year or so I try not to get too into reading news because it’s depressing as gently caress. Working full time, going to school full time, and raising a toddler and wondering what kind of world I brought her into is stressful. Constant reminders the world is garbage adds too much stress.

That's extremely understandable!

We Apologize For The Inconvenience (And Horror)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bulletsponge13 posted:

Let me ask you your opinions on public transit....

I am a serious aficionado of light rail and long walks

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Eyes Have It posted:

Our city has several of those, they were always dang near full and saw heavy use.

Then I guess it got sold off to some developer / parking company or something? and:

1) parking capacity dropped by like 50% at least
2) the free parking is now tiny, and moved to a couple blocks away
3) the remaining parking (next to the transit station, heavily reduced) is now paid parking like any other parking lot

I don't know what really happened but it sucked hard

The magic of public-private partnership!!!!!!!!!!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mlmp08 posted:

ERCOT (and power utilities in general) also deliberately uses very opaque language so that even when people understand that it’s not just wind’s fault, they have to spend like 2 hours reading explainers before they can really understand, even superficially, the regulations and system.

Most people just won’t do that.

Or they’ll read that for one weird story (ERCOT), but won’t learn about their own power, water, or transpo network.

And while the ERCOT blackout killed about 110-120 people, over 3,500 Texans die every year in motor vehicle accidents. So that does not help utilities talk hold public attention.

As a consultant who works with public utilities and local/regional/state government I can't emphasize enough how downright malfeasant public communication around major utilties projects can be, especially whenever it intersects with the oil and gas industry. They find the Devil's ad men to write the comms and the Devil's lawyer to write the fine print.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm just glad they had appropriate segmentation in place, because these guys are all like "Oh don't worry that Wonderware bug is way too new to affect me!!!! The version I'm using hit end-of-service/end-of-life years ago!!!!!!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

facialimpediment posted:

Alluded to earlier by others, but here's the article on it: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2018-tech-audit-of-colonial-pipeline-found-glaring-problems-01620862968

Sounds like they asked the questions, got the answers, and didn't like them.

That guy blew his NDA so hard. I do cybersecurity assessments of infrastructure much like this, and - wow. I am genuinely shocked he spoke up. On the one hand I admire his balls and really wish he'd spoken up sooner... on the other hand he is going to be on the receiving end of an almighty loving lawsuit. He may have trouble getting business, too - nobody wants to hire an assessor who outs their clients.

The solution here is to have something like a cyber NTSB and protections for whistleblowers, not just tweeting it out - unfortunately, we don't have those things.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Soylent Pudding posted:

A cyber NTSB equivalent is included in the Cybersecurity EO the white house dropped yesterday.

Yeah, we need Congress to act to make that any kind of reality though. And you know Congress!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fallom posted:

Not gonna lie, when I saw "something very bad happening" I thought it would be more than their blog and payment processor going down, followed by DarkSide offering refunds for its customers.

I'm super happy with this outcome! DarkSide is essentially a business; this is what non-escalatory punitive response looks like. They will lose a lot of customers over this and probably have to recycle their operation under another name.

Now let's do it to all the others, as soon as they pop up, and we might get somewhere.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

I’ve heard many times that there are two navy Nuke electrician billets in the White House for general electrical gopher work that they’re perfect for. Still sounds like a rumor though

Are you trying to imply the presence of a nuclear reactor at the White House?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arcella posted:

What do you think powers the president’s mech suit?

The heart of an orphaned child that was placed at a DeVos adoption agency?

Also, behold: an entirely believable rear end in a top hat, who shot a loving beautiful mountain lion when he wasn't supposed to possess weapons because he committed treason, like an rear end in a top hat.

https://news.yahoo.com/alleged-capitol-rioter-banned-guns-162910336.html

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CommieGIR posted:

His loving dogs killed the Cougar. loving monster, we should let him out the wild with nothing and hunt him with dogs.

That was a bobcat! He's a serial cat killer! He used a .357 Magnum on the cougar.

quote:

This is not the first time Montgomery is accused of violating local laws while on pre-trial release. Earlier this year, he admitted to the parks officer that he and his dogs followed a bobcat for approximately 11 miles before his dogs killed the bobcat, which violates local hunting rules.

Arcella posted:

What do you think powers the president’s mech suit?

On this note I'm skeptical of the "nuke at the White House" claims because of refueling logistics. But I know this is where someone will say "That's what the tunnels are for"...

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Hey man, I don’t have PM’s but I’d like to have a private conversation with you. shimgip at googles mail service.

Just dinged your inbox.