Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. Between Israel and House of Saud, worst allies possible

Pakistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

In a somewhat ironic twist, if you don't actually relent when the ransom is paid, people will be less likely to pay the ransom going forwards.

If you gently caress up 100 systems and ransom them for $1000 each, even getting a few people to go "I paid the ransom and they honored it" will entice other people to pay. If your goal is to be able to continue extorting money, you want people to have some trust that you'll follow through.

this assumes that your criminal organization is known enough to develop a reputation for "honesty" in these situations, as opposed to an anonymous group that just makes up a new name every other week.

internet gangs aren't like the local mobsters who everyone knew growing up in your neighborhood

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Vaguely reminds me of the story a few years back of the Canadian soldier who was identified as an extremist, but fled with weapons before they could catch him. I wonder whatever came of that.
https://twitter.com/M__Verbruggen/status/1394877995878424579?s=19

:allears: So who does he want his society ruled by. :allears:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Fallom posted:

I just think it’s hosed up that middlemen are allowed to make money selling corpses to the US Army or whatever that they get for free. Why can’t I let the Army preorder my body while I’m still alive to spend the money on comic books and candy?

The newest section to enlistment contracts, a :10bux: bonus for willing your corpse to the army.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

I was just sitting here thinking about how the only way to stop poo poo like this is essentially censorship. You have to stop this stuff from getting put on blast because it’s dangerous. You can recall him but he’s already put this poo poo out there so the damage is done.

That sure is a can of worms though.

The can is open, the worms are everywhere.