Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah. Imagine trying to do an opposed boarding without the use of your hands, or having a malfunction and crashing into the water with a bunch of poo poo strapped to your back with little opportunity to remove it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Chinese rockets, known for: uncontrollable reentry, wiping out local villages

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

Mike Rowe was also a classically trained opera singer.

That motherfucker is very, VERY far removed from the kinda bullshit he spews. He's never had to work his way from poverty.

This gets glossed over so much on the contemporary Mike Rowe narratives. The dude is part of the classically-trained actor pipeline. He learned to sing and dance, did various stage productions, got on TV doing QVC poo poo, and THEN got a tv show where he used his dainty hands to cosplay a rugged blue-collar American.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

That Works posted:

If I was famous for some reason I'd write an essay or Op/Ed about how I am the American Dream personified and it needs to die.

My parents were poor as poo poo, I went to a doctor maybe 3x my entire life before going to college (where I had some meager student insurance). We lived in coastal Louisiana and I never had air conditioning, cable or a telephone again until I went to college. We mostly just lived trying to keep the power on (about 90% of the time) and keep the water connected. My brother and I hunted and fished for a fair bit of our food growing up and I worked (without income) for my dads automotive shop from the age of 11, often alone because he was constantly sick and could barely keep business open. My parents could have easily gotten government assistance but were completely brain poisoned about welfare and "didn't want a handout" so I had a couple of fractures heal up funny on their own and superglued a lot of cuts that should have had stitches, one sending me to the ER narrowly avoiding sepsis.

As things got worse I threw myself into school (most of my friends in similar situations chose drugs instead) to stay out of the house as much as possible because it was miserable and abusive. I was good at school and athletics and managed to get a full tuition scholarship to a college in Louisiana. I had to work summers and holidays in the oilfield to get enough money to pay for food and housing during the academic year and the tiniest unplanned thing could lead to being completely broke for months trying to scrape money together etc. Because I was there on a scholarship, and broke, I didn't gently caress around in college as much as I would have liked, but it kept me focused on being a good student so I wouldn't have to go back home again. At the end of college I flipped a coin and chose grad school in Oklahoma instead of Marine OCS.

From there I went through grad school and did well and got a good job for a while then went back for a doctorate and kept kinda moving onwards and upwards. Now I'm an about to be tenured college professor which is a somewhat hard job to get and I could be viewed as pretty successful. (I feel like I am and am lucky and happy).

I can think of about 50 different points where one minor misstep would have sent me back to working in the oilfield for pittance wages just toiling for 80+ hours per week. I fully believe that my story does not happen if I am anything but a white male. Because I took a moderately rough path I was alongside multitudes doing the same. I saw how each of them failed or washed out. I can say with certainty it never really had to do with choices they made and almost always because of circumstances beyond their control. Even I was about to live out of my car and become homeless because of an emergency dental visit and would have probably had my whole success derailed if not for a friend who loaned me $3000 literally one week before I was going to be evicted.

I've watched a hundred people better than me, smarter, more attractive, more charismatic, more gifted, better work ethics etc all ground to dust because of a misstep or chance. Hard work is necessary, but hard work doesn't mean poo poo when any random event can undo a lifetime of it in a second.

gently caress the American Dream.

This is how J.D. Vance should’ve turned out

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
If it makes people feel any better, I read a few Chud forums and even they're getting sick of the constant "BOOM!!" tweets from Chud prognosticators. And not even just Q people - the regular dummies are losing faith in the Arizona recount and various election lawsuits because the booms are always guaranteed duds.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The "Right Wing Outrage-to-Politics" pipeline produces another conservative superstar

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/20/mark-mccloskey-gun-black-lives-matter-protesters-senate-run

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

Hamas is using bioweapons on American soil.

Because that poo poo is sick.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

brains posted:

traitorous piece of poo poo mike flynn now getting paid speaking gigs to advocate violent overthrow of the US government
https://twitter.com/MC_Hyperbole/status/1399129297240084489

Recall this loving clown to active duty and court martial his rear end. We’re treating these traitors far too lightly.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

I was just sitting here thinking about how the only way to stop poo poo like this is essentially censorship. You have to stop this stuff from getting put on blast because it’s dangerous. You can recall him but he’s already put this poo poo out there so the damage is done.

That sure is a can of worms though.

I mean, you’re right on that. He hasn’t techno done anything illegal yet, but there’s a bunch of UCMJ violations just from that speech alone.

Now, if he starts talking to some AD generals about his little plan, absolutely fry him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Obligatory “Sorry Shim” post