Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

boop the snoot posted:

Wow so the side effects on the second moderna have an 18 hour delay it seems.

This sucks.

I’m right there with you - I’m at about 30 hours post shot and it sucks balls. Ibuprofen helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

fknlo posted:

White Castle is absolute garbage tier poo poo that you should only eat while blackout drunk at best, and even then there are better options. The people that rave about it are from garbage cities with garbage food scenes. Like St. Louis.

You're just jealous cause wherever you are ain't got provel thin-crust pizza, deep fried "toasted" ravioli, or that fried brain sandwich that was supposedly a St Louis thing but you could only get at one place at Laclede's Landing.

Edit: or the devil's delight from the Courtesy Diner. Now *that* was a feast designed for blackout drunks.

Notahippie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 3, 2021

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Bill Gates is gonna do that thing where divorced middle aged guys get publicly real weird about their sex life and I don't know if I'm going to be able to deal with it.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't often say "well, this cannot possibly get any worse", but Jesus Christ.
Five days ago, the Bundeswehr sent a crisis team and several shipments of respirators and oxygen-generators/bottling stations over there, but with the scale of the situation, that was barely a drop in the ocean.

And now they have a loving water shortage.

It sounds like a lot of critical infrastructure (including O2 transportation, which is part of why the O2 situation is hosed up) is hurting because enough people have COVID that they can't staff anything anymore.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Wombot posted:

Something I wasn't able to find in the articles the last time this was in the news: Is there an increase in child-consuming capability between a Peloton and any other brand of treadmill?

Most treadmills have barriers at the back that limit how far the belt can suck you under, so that the worst-case scenario is some rugburn. Apparently theirs is either poorly designed or hosed up in some way - it's not supposed to drag kids all the way under like that.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Sorry, if tents pop up in my yard I'm taking out some cookies and asking for help with some nagging problems around the house, not freaking the gently caress out and running away

I lived in a house that had been illegally converted to a duplex, my landlord was a sweet old hippie who lived on the other side of the wall, and one day I came home to find a dude in a tent living on her side of the lawn. She had made friends with a homeless guy and invited him to live there, he was chill and we talked about Conan comics a lot and he gave me a lovely lockback pocket knife he found in a dumpster.

It turned out he smoked crack, but that wasn't why he left. It ended in drama and he was the one who moved out - he and my landlord got into a relationship but she was bipolar and they'd get into big arguments and at one point she shoved him and he moved back out to the yard then took off. He told me he was leaving because he was worried somebody was going to call the cops because of the fighting and he was worried that no matter how chill he was, if the cops rolled up to a fight between an older white lady and an (also older) black guy then it was going to go poorly for him.

This was in Austin, same city that is just about to pass a public camping ban. No discussion of what people are going to do or where they're supposed to go. It's just going to end up with a bunch of people in jail for being poor. poo poo makes me really loving mad.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

That Works posted:

As a former Austin resident this is such a peak Austin story I love it.

I miss living there when I did (15 yrs ago). No way in hell would I live there now but still a fun visit for a weekend I guess.

This was just about 15 years ago, roughly 2006. I went back a couple of years ago and S Lamar looks like some Blade Runner poo poo - it's all red neon and weird cube buildings. It turned into a real city sometime when I wasn't looking.

I miss Las Manitas.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

this dude is absolutely amazing

What kind of issue does he have with his case number? Is he some kind of SovCit numerologist?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

piL posted:

I think the way this is going to shake out long term is that a hybrid strategy is going to suffer in work satisfaction and productivity leading to separation of strategies, with in-person focused and remote-focused workplaces. Hybrid models that succeed are going to do so through either having one modeled company contract from the other modeled company or through companies with divisions separated by methodology so the two groups don't compete against one another. That last option will be super risky unless you're large.

From what I've seen, hybrid models can work well but the secret is that everybody has to be in the same mode. So 3 days in/2 out, or whatever, works fine. The things that don't work at all are when 60% of the team is in-office and 40% are virtual.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Mustang posted:

The Army sending me to WA was the best thing that ever happened to me and opened my eyes to how much better life in blue states is.

The South is a cesspit of regressive hicks, I'd recommend to anyone that they escape as soon as they can.

I helped friends and family move during the pandemic and got to see how the majority of the South handled it and it was loving shameful.

I grew up in Texas and for all its faults it feels like home to me. I moved up to a blue state for work, and now there's just no way I'd raise my kids back south - the difference between a functioning government and a non-functioning government is like night and day, and even though I don't feel much connected to the culture up here I can't justify the cruelty and neglect that I always thought was normal in Texas govenrment. And poo poo, that's before you consider that one of my kids has got developmental delays and even though my state's not great on special ed it's a thousand times better than the poo poo system in TX

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

What the gently caress room does the overweight front half of a centaur desperate to hide his gunt have to criticise anyone else on their weight?

The "fattest" person on a secret service detail can probably still outrun me when I was at my best and this was almost certainly one more part of Donnie being obsessed with images and demanding everything look like it's out of central casting so he can be king poo poo of tinpot dictator mountain.

Some poor SOB out there has to live with being called a fat gently caress by Donald Trump and publicly reassigned for it. It's like the origin story for some Olympic weight lifter or something.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hyperinflation in the USD - a greater than %50 in inflation in a month - would be a pretty sweet international economic disaster that would really gently caress poo poo up in a spectacular way. I don't see why anything like that would be around the bend, which is probably why there aren't hundreds of thousands of articles on the topic as front page news.

It's been a boogeyman on the fringe, mostly in goldbug and prepper folks as far as I can tell, ever since quantitative easing. I think there's a sound argument that we're in some weird new waters with regards to central bank policy, but the idea that hyperinflation is inevitable or even likely seems mostly to be coming from exactly the same people who were real worried about EMP attacks ten years ago.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Ah I guess I’ve heard some non goldbugs talking about looming hyperinflation being a concern this time around to explain why number is going up during the pandemic despite there being no economic recovery, probably a lot more complicated than that.

So basically my understanding is that the fact that the US dollar is the global reserve currency makes it really attractive to address debts through the creation of new money, and especially since the 2007 crash the US has used money creation as a primary tool for stimulating the (fake Wall Street) economy. Traditional economics says that if you keep doing that for too long you are eventually going to face an inflationary cycle that could easily turn into hyperinflation if/when countries move away from the dollar, and on top of that once you adopt that approach it's really hard to back away from it without cratering your economy.

On the other hand, traditional economics has been wrong about a lot of things (see: 2007), and there's a diverging perspective that says that the above isn't likely to happen (this is the whole "Modern Monetary Theory" thing), and really nobody knows what the gently caress is going on or what is going to happen and anybody who says otherwise is selling you something.

See: https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/4/16/18251646/modern-monetary-theory-new-moment-explained

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

I love this dude's comics because I can't tell if he's a genuine old-school gnostic, mentally ill, terminally poisoned by online, or some purified essence of all of them.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

That Works posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/coinerstakingls/status/1394899051171106817

I'm hoping graphics card prices start coming down in crypto continues to do poorly.

This is all just so loving stupid

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Cyberpunk future coming in hot

https://twitter.com/natsecHeather/status/1395795369833992194?s=20

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Hekk posted:

I want a few of my buddies to steal my body from the morgue, drag me out into the middle of Joshua Tree National Park, and unsuccessfully cremate my body on account of there not being a ton of poo poo to burn in the middle of the desert.

That story fascinates me because I have to wonder about what it was like to have the dawning realization that this wasn't working and what they thought was going to be a tribute to a friend and legend was turning into an absolute goat rodeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

The fact that they don't have magazines in the rifles makes me actually trust these guys more than the randos who don't literally worship their guns but run around in condition 1 across all their five weapons while in line at Subway.