Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

A driver on a narrow street in Queens this week tried to pass another car by going into the bike lane at 50mph. Newsworthy because, in so doing, they collided at full speed into an outdoor dining space, murdering one and wounding another—avoiding an all-out massacre only because there were hardly any diners at the time. Police initially announced it was a result of a medical incident, but then video came out of the wanton negligence the driver displayed.

https://twitter.com/CurbJumpingNYC/status/1388136498076262401?s=19

There are three things to be done to prevent this in the future: fundamentally transform Americans' behavior behind the wheel into something less ragingly sociopathic; fundamentally transform our urban road infrastructure from prioritizing driver's speed to prioritizing the safety of everyone else using the street; and, of course, get personal cars off the roads in favor of walkable, bikeable, and transit-accessible urban areas. The more likely outcome, of course, is assholes in city government using this as an excuse to shut down outdoor dining.

And, since this has been a point of confusion ITT before, no, this doesn't mean your family in the sticks needs to give up their car.

I'm happy to be pointed to quotes to the contrary, but I believe any disagreement in the Current Events thread previously centered towards primary residential types in urban areas and discouragement of the use of single-passenger vehicles from the suburbs to city centers.

My only point of contention with your comment is that Design Speed is not the controlling design factor in urban geometric design. Current design standards heavily consider multi-modal and pedestrian access needs, however were not standardized until the 1980's, well after most of American urban infrastructure was already constructed. Transforming from the former to the latter is going to cost $Texas and DOTs are critically underfunded and forced to prioritize budgets of failing infrastructure (and litigation), even prior to COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

:discourse:

I assume that’s what you were going for.

Do I even want to ask what that is

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I thought you were being extra longwinded as ploy to head off a derail, but if that’s just how you write, my bad.

It’s a computer saying you used a bunch of long words and long sentences, basically.

Your text is a good example of why such measures are simplistic. The words you used are long, but they are not rare. “Multi-modal” is the only term I expect anyone who can read at a fifth-grade level might be unfamiliar with.

Oh no, I'm just a transportation engineer that gets prickly when the design speed thing gets brought up.

e: In general, I do try simplify language when possible, as I've read a couple of books on exploring the divide between the scientific community and general public where that was hypothesized to be a large chunk of the root cause. In this situation, I was attempting to refute a technical issue.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 1, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

See kids this is an example of how to properly disagree with someone in the CE thread. Keep it up y’all.

I have no memory of starting this thread.

Aw shucks :3:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I still prefer the diverging diamond, if only because some rear end in a top hat will always gently caress it up and slam into oncoming traffic.

I hate driving through Kansas, probably going to pass through it this summer unless I detour around.

The whole point of the diverging diamond is to lessen the possibility of that. You'd have to drive over a curb.

We've got 1 in PA. 2 more under construction to my knowledge.

They put roundabouts in at the front and back end of my home town and I think someone plowed through the sign under the influence in the first week.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flikken posted:

That's because pennsylvania roads are a madmax free for all

I mean, well yes, noone debates this.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mods?

Man trapped in porto-john at Gettysburg National Park

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

“This mint julep has no flavor!”

Its like the beginning of Mars Attacks! where they kill everyone of importance because they are in the same room.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CainFortea posted:

The idea of annoying drivers enough to not drive, is "The free market will regulate itself" but wearing a "i like trains" t-shirt.

Driving to work sucks. I was lucky enough to be able to live close by to a bus stop that dropped me off at my office downtown for a year and that poo poo owned.

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1388622408198807558

https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1388630676430327812

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1388630275165466625

As for the COVID concerns, it's lovely that there's a lot of indoor poo poo involved at the Derby, but it's mostly outside and spaced out, so I'm not going to scold them too hard about it.

Steve Kornacki has had himself a year.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or you could just try a regular, no frills roundabout in Shitkicker Country and see what wacky hijinks ensue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDaQZUzJCNM

I saw this on Reddit and this was either opened prematurely or poorly designed. There is no signage and the earthwork BMPs (Best Management Practices) are still installed.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Hell, i'd love to not have to use my car all the time. If I could just shitpost or play pokemon on my way to and from work that would be rad.

I assure you it is as awesome as you think it is.

e: I think it might even be better in the post-COVID era.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Bill and Melinda Gates are splitting. Wild.

https://twitter.com/BillGates/status/1389316412259270657?s=20

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

(e: Bill) Gates probably finally got around to watching Ex Machina and decided to buy Alberta or something.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 3, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I-40 is closed in both directions over the Mississippi River in Memphis. Barge traffic under the bridge is also stopped.

https://twitter.com/cfishman/status/1392550255409909761?s=20

Professional opinion: NOT GREAT! Although the issue is going to be if they find more fractures more so than how they are going to fix that section. Reading through it, I guess they were getting ready to start the routine biennial inspection and eyeballing some things using binoculars. It sounds like they are going to perform a full emergency inspection and a load rating........which takes a bit. Luckily there is another interstate river crossing nearby.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Just pointing out that a single inspector did not get fired as a result of all of this. An inspection team for a bridge that size is made up of dozens of individuals inspecting different components. The Team Leader for the 2019 and 2020 inspections (an ARDot Professional Engineer, I believe) was the person fired.

Crab Dad posted:

Well it's been fine for this long what's the big deal?

The member that failed is not part of the primary load path for the bridge. In cable-stayed bridges, force is transferred from vehicles, to the deck, to the transverse beams, to the cables, to the arch, to the supports. It is more a part of the stability matrix for the bridge.

Because there is not redundancy in the load path, the bridge is considered "Fracture Critical" and subject to more stringent inspection standards. While the crack/fracture did not occur in one of the more prone locations to fatigue and fracture failure, it at least warrants an analysis of the safety and stability of the bridge, and the big deal is more that the crack wasn't spotted or (more damningly) ignored, which absolutely would boggle my mind. In anything that I've ever done, the crack would have its own section in the final inspection report and probably would have a 6-month interval Special Circumstance inspection dedicated solely to monitoring it. The articles I've read to date indicate that the crack has not previously been mentioned in any inspection report. Anyone that has any experience at all inspecting bridges should have spotted that.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Didn't John Oliver do a bit on the absolutely desolate state and budget of the offices tasked with infrastructure inspection several years ago? Some states had fewer than a handful of inspectors for the entirety of their states dams, with Alabama or some yokel state only having a single one?

I have absolutely no trouble believing that whoever they fired for that mississippi bridge probably was in such an impossible position that they were forced to rubberstamp reports on infrastructure based on projected failures.

Bridge Inspections are frequently contracted out. The National Bridge Inspection Program is nationally mandated by law and monitored and (pretty thoroughly) audited by FHWA. I was actually kind of surprised that they said ARDot did the inspection for this bridge. All bridges of that size in PA get contracted out.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 20, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Follow-ups:

Contractor was selected for Phase 1 Repairs:

https://www.roadsbridges.com/tennessee-awards-contract-repair-cracking-i-40-hernando-de-soto-bridge?oly_enc_id=7132G9739701A9R

Tennessee has a website for the project:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-4/i-40-hernando-desoto-bridge.html

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

That's arguably why Top Golf exists in the first place - casual golf is better when there are targets to hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFPV16f182w&t=117s

The Mickelson thing was a perfect storm - famous, well-liked player probably in contention for his last major title, first golf major since pandemic restrictions were fully lifted, and "hey - I remember this old guy from before the pandemic!" as a bookend to the thing.

The context was that Mickelson entered the tournament on an exemption from his past wins - he wouldn't have qualified for this tournament otherwise. It was *extremely* unexpected that he'd be in contention on the 4th day, much less win the thing in a near-runaway. That shot was the approach to the 18th and as long as he didn't find a spectator's forehead, he'd have four putts to win it and did.

He got an exemption to the US Open. He was qualified for the PGA Championship by virtue of being a former champion. He is now automatically qualified for the US Open for the next five years by virtue of winning one of the other majors, which arguably is a bigger deal for him then winning the PGA. Rickie Fowler got into the PGA on a special exemption. e: I misread your post. Sorry.

Kazinsal posted:

It's way more fun to play than it is to watch. There's something exciting in your lizard brain about thwacking a ball a couple hundred yards over and over, and the planning and math of it keeps your mind engaged. Should definitely be discouraged or outright prohibited to build golf courses in places that don't naturally support that kind of grass growth and care, though. Fuckers are an enormous water cost that you don't have to spend in higher latitudes because it actually rains more than twice a year.

Agreed. It took over the area of my head where pool used to reside. Its practical application of 3D projectile dynamics.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh, well yes of course. Same rationale.