Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1388495729866403849?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

Let me ask you your opinions on public transit....

Public transit options, they could and should be better!

*Sound of cars gearing up to murder me from four counties away*

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Texas legislature is still fighting over what will be in an ERCOT reform bill.

Greg Abbott, says he’ll fix it, and that means... maybe nothing?

Meanwhile, the Texans outside of ERCOT remain unenvious of ERCOT.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
More data about outtages:

https://twitter.com/cohan_ds/status/1387404329024462851?s=21

boop the snoot posted:

People should be demanding it gets fixed RIGHT NOW. But they aren’t because....?

There are multiple reform bills working through the TX leg. They range from mandating and funding winterization upgrades, requiring ercot board members to live in TX, changing pricing scheme (including retroactive IIRC to wipe out the absurd $$$$$$ bills during crisis). One of the clusterfuck problems is that TX legislature cannot just let a bunch of power companies fail overnight, but also doesn’t want to pass-through saving them to customers, but then oops, gotta fund this out of somewhere... and no regular taxpayer really wants a bailout package without strings.

It is back in TX news after ERCOT issued warnings a week or two ago (blackouts did not occur, but it was something like a 5% margin of capacity).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hot Take: hahaha Texans are dumb hahaha, is just smug liberal erasure of the POC who live in TX, wishing they had a more fair representation. Trump did absolutely clobber with the dmographic known as “white men” and also “white women,” but lost in the category of women overall. And youth overall, minorities, and lower income voters.

It’s not that the desired outcome is to be racially stupid, it’s just very easy for the smug and ignorant to paint TX as homogenous rather than understanding even tiny nuances like urban/rural divide, gerrymandering, or how numbers work.

It’s the same kind of ignorance that causes people outside of NY to paint NY as a bastion of progressive leftie activism, when it’s a pretty moderate, if dependably blue, state.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
ERCOT (and power utilities in general) also deliberately uses very opaque language so that even when people understand that it’s not just wind’s fault, they have to spend like 2 hours reading explainers before they can really understand, even superficially, the regulations and system.

Most people just won’t do that.

Or they’ll read that for one weird story (ERCOT), but won’t learn about their own power, water, or transpo network.

And while the ERCOT blackout killed about 110-120 people, over 3,500 Texans die every year in motor vehicle accidents. So that does not help utilities talk hold public attention.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 3, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tons of places have extended hours drive thrus and zero pedestrian service.

It’s one of those times when classism and cost savings all make a grotesque marriage.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

I miss steak and shake.

Unfortunately, they over-expanded and hosed up quality. They are in contraction and posting losses for the last few years.

It was a really good high school and college place to grab food and hang out, but the last time I stopped at one on a work road trip, it was just extremely mediocre. Not terrible, but for the price could’ve had something better quality and for the calories could’ve had a delicious alternative.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/allahpundit/status/1389670557017378819

lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

I took my wife to the Baltimore VAMC emergency room with a bad migraine one night. They admitted her, put her in a bed directly under a bright light that shone directly in her face, and then forgot she was there.

Non-VA hospital fun: In college I was sicker than I’d been before in my life, fever of 103, couldn’t walk on my own, spots in vision.

My friends took me to the hospital, they took my temp, put me in a room, hooked up a heart rate monitor and then left.

After 10 hours or so they finally said they don’t know what’s wrong, but a lot of people were super hosed up by whatever this is, so they were just putting on heart rate monitors on people to see if they’d code and having them drink water in the meantime.

I guess I lived but lol.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sure that’s not also construction prices rather than WFH “pushing” people?

Housing market is weird right now due to construction costs and low supply of new homes. A lot of boring, not particularly hot neighborhoods are seeing 10-20% spikes almost overnight, and the national median home price is rising faster than it has since 2006.

A whole lot more going on than some WFH.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

The cost of the actual building is only a tiny part of the cost of real estate.

Right now my house is worth about 135k in materials and labor (or was before material costs spiked). The land it’s on, according to the city, is worth about 300k.

The house across the street, which does not have parking but does have nicer counter tops, just sold for 650k.

Sure. But: if stuff is not being built due to shortages and price spikes builders would rather wait out, it exacerbates price spikes because demand grows without inventory growing to match.

Building slowdown is but one part of the overall housing price increase. WFH is not the reason we’re in the most rapid housing price increase since 2006.

And in more median-priced areas (180-300k), building materials are proportionately a much higher baked in cost. So a construction slowdowns means more to a moderate sized town with a pretty generic real estate market with room to grow than it does for an urban hotspot like SF or whatever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ASAPI posted:

WFH is absolutely a factor in the housing market.

I don’t disagree. It is a factor. I just don’t think it is the primary reason why median house prices nationwide are jumping so much.

Probably a bigger factor: it’s not just demand for what we typically call a single family home. There were simply less single family homes for sale over the past year. So supply has been low, as opposed to the 2007-8 run-up where prices were rising, and also there was an abundance of supply. So less supply compounded with these millenials being of home buying age and means and becoming the dominant number of home purchasers.

Millenials: finally not killing the housing market! I’m sure we’re still to blame for the rest of the ills.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m still not sure if this guy and/or account is playing a character for laughs or not.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1390451013786783747?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/lisang/status/1392188358638641154?s=21

Beyond the Arab-Israeli from inside vs outside Israeli security zones, there’s the Arab-Israeli conflicts inside Israel proper between citizens.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jhweissmann/status/1392831016130301952?s=21

Fairly big that a teacher’s union head is speaking out now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1392888767325814786?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The way he first dated his wife years ago was Emailing her, an employee at the time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Biggest podcast just run by a loud racist. Very on brand.

https://twitter.com/heathercampbell/status/1394466288731262977?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/vicbergeriv/status/1394797710083989505?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Hamas has supposedly fired ~3500 rockets thus far, so assuming $40k per Iron Dome interceptor, they've cost Israel ~$140m in missiles alone.

$280m factoring in replacements, probably more if they put a rush on it.

Iron Dome does not fire at every rocket. You’re talking specific defended areas with rockets outside those areas permitted to fly unengaged either through impossibility of an intercept or pre-planned firing logic.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that the comedian who flipped his poo poo when someone made fun of him for it

It’s funny to laugh at Tim Pool, but he’s not a comedian. He portrays himself as a liberal who became disaffected with the left and woke culture and was forced to become a right wing agitator.

He hides behind a few positions to try to maintain centrist cred, like saying gay rights matter or arguing for gun rights by way of saying gun rights are key to minorities.

But mostly he boosts rightwing ideology, decries leftism, complains about women, hangs out with some hardcore altrighters, and is a real shithead.

Sometimes people pimp Tim Pool as just an independent look at the world. These people are either his political allies or incredibly and stupidly gullible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/davidminpdx/status/1394852789197713408?s=21

Turns out maybe voters are more scared of cops and courts than crime. That’s no absolute universal constant, but it’s no surprise where the pendulum is right now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Things grandkids won’t believe was real:
Dogecoin
Butterflies

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

She probably can't pass the ACFT.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beyond the standard “you are being an rear end in a top hat again,”

1: Only 25% of the Army has taken the ACFT.
2: Only 7% has taken it twice.
3: Presently, the pass rate is 85%.
4: The test result has zero affect other than going into a pile of big army data right now. An order is published prohibiting people from even keeping local unit record scores of the ACFT. When you enter the data in DTMS, it disappears and only people with special permission can pull data in aggregate.

Yes, I am sure a major factor in the order banning local leaders from keeping ACFT records was to prevent total rear end in a top hat leaders from unfairly maligning their soldiers over ACFT pilot test performance. Because the Army knows there are judgmental assholes out there who can scream at a soldier or talk shot behind their back but cannot read a basic admin messages, personnel guidance, and orders.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

It helps to remember that the democrats are just republicans with a different flag.

This is a popular online take, but it’s one made from some real privilege of not being part of the crowd the GOP routinely tries to destroy.

“No war but the class war” gets used to ignore a shitload of rightwing pain directed squarely at certain genders, religions, and ethnicities/colors.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soylent Pudding posted:

I will never stop recommending the WW2 museum in New Orleans. They have a pretty good merchant marine exhibit.

New Orleans isngreat to visit and I enjoyed the museum overall, but it really shows that it started as the D-Day Museum and then later became the WW II museum. Especially with the hastily added “oh there was a pacific theater too, and I guess Russians may have existed?” vibe later in the museum.

But hey, it’s pretty cool, has AC, and is in a cool city!

WW1 museum in Kansas City, MO is also great. And is just awesome from an architectural/aesthetic standpoint. And it’s close to a really good art museum.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 23, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Apparently the more serious stock cspam goons have made their own investing thread, because Doomsday thread advice is, "do the opposite of what goons say."

The boring / long term investment thread in Ask/Tell is useful.

And IMO, not incompatible at all with a gloomy doomy outlook.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Trade results tip: buy tax-advantaged diversified, low-cost funds first. Then do that minus tax-advantaged if you can.

Let sit for 10-50 years. Don’t poke it.

In that 10-50 years you have a lot of time to learn the basics of how/when to withdraw that money.

If space communism strikes and your funds go to the greater good, enjoy the space communism!

If the world ends suddenly in hellfire, oh well.

If the world goes to poo poo generally (yes), it will probably take long enough for your savings to keep you more comfortable during decline. No guarantees for your kids or grandkids if you have any.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Current event: lol

https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1397965478027530246?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ah yes, behold this very real trend that is actually a thing and not just kind of a dumb ad.

If they wanted to focus on reopening costs that apply to actual people, I dunno, weddings and birthday parties and quinceaneras exist.

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1399546295744860161?s=21

Camping in my personal library wing of the estate.