Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Also getting mad that people refer to him as "Justice Beer" or w/e when he literally had a meltdown about how much he likes beer during his hearing sure is a weird hill to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1390394262018314244

Classy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I want to punch this guy so, so hard.

Mannnnn I didn't even commission but lol what the gently caress is that salute?

I am also laughing at this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

As someone who had to deal with similar stupidity in regards to the bosses not liking work from home (and have since relented and given us most of our wfh options back)...gently caress that lady. Big :lol: at the self own of admitting on the op-ed that she asks employees to do around 20 percent of work they weren't hired to do. I'm sure that will go well.
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1390649427908612101?s=19

Good on the Washingtonian for the work stoppage. Hope it works out for them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

piL posted:

I think she does describe an interesting and worthwhile concern in that piece re: the contractualization of jobs and unaccounted-for labor, but I also think she should probably shut the hell up.

Oh yeah for sure. Its a very unintentional self own but I'm glad she brought it up. It's very much

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

boop the snoot posted:

Cops are gonna be furious that they got a slap on the wrist and a “you shouldn’t have done that” for shooting someone who was in their bed.

If you can’t Fred Hampton some people then why be a cop!?

And the obligatory police union press conference that consists of
"We're the most persecuted group in America these days! :qq: "

:fuckoff:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’ve posted about this before here and there, but from late 2009-2010, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I waited out the Great Recession by living in Egypt and teaching English. Our time there also coincided with the Gaza Flotilla Raid. Despite our best efforts to keep politics out of the classroom (to protect our students and the institution as we knew the Mukhbaharat had informants in classes who were monitoring for criticism of the government or Islamist sentiment), people were upset and angry over that incident in particular and wanted to discuss it. In addition to some well-founded criticism about Israel’s conduct, the majority of the poo poo I heard frankly made me understand Israel’s siege mentality. Namely people throwing out straight up anti-Semitic stuff about how Jews control the media and the banks, that Israelis were told to stay away from the WTC on 9/11, and also that Jews had the secret ability to fly. This came from students who were otherwise bright, friendly and in many cases were already professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc) in established careers. Hearing goofy poo poo like that definitely casts the historical problem with anti-Semitism into sharp relief.

But at the same time, Israel’s national history being rooted in existential trauma and conflict at its inception to 30 years later has had a toxic and corrosive effect on its modern psyche. It’s turned vigilance into paranoia and defensiveness into aggression now that those existential threats are gone. Egypt, Jordan or Syria are never again going to war with Israel, Hamas or PIJ will never march on Tel Aviv, and even Hezbollah- arguably the most capable group in the region- cannot threaten the existence of Israel itself. Politicians like Netanyahu have formed a Faustian bargain with the more toxic elements of the ultranationalist Israeli right in order to stay in power, and the extreme has become the mainstream now and there’s no walking it back.

Israel has become an apartheid state and there’s no disputing it. Even if some of its politicians make paeans about peace with Palestinians, they’ve effectively ruined any chance of them ever having a territorially contiguous state of their own, and there’s no way that Israel will guarantee them political sovereignty or binational status because demographics would threaten Jewish political power.

Israel is just one huge tragic tale of about victims becoming oppressors, to the detriment of the values of Judaism itself.

I used to love the Middle East and considered myself something of an Arabist but after watching the entrenchment of authoritarianism following the failed Arab uprisings of 2011 and Israel’s descent into madness I can’t even read the news without feeling bitter and depressed about that whole cursed region.

Just wanted to say I really appreciated this post.

Don't really have much to add to the discourse at large except that I'm pissed off and tired of seeing this poo poo happen time and time again.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

They deleted the tweet telling people about what charities help Palestinians right now, loving cowards.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Handsome Ralph posted:

They deleted the tweet telling people about what charities help Palestinians right now, loving cowards.

IGN's editorial staff is calling out Ziff Davis and ownership for deleting the tweet.

https://ignemployees.medium.com/an-open-letter-to-leadership-at-ign-ziff-davis-and-j2-global-f7171d5ad42f

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

davecrazy posted:

Do they still have an insane hazing problem?

What does your heart tell you?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

joat mon posted:

Definitely.

The picture that inspired it is even more :stare: and :smith:

Backstory,
https://turnstiletours.com/the-photo-that-inspired-of-the-merchant-mariners-memorial/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Kazinsal posted:

It's way more fun to play than it is to watch. There's something exciting in your lizard brain about thwacking a ball a couple hundred yards over and over, and the planning and math of it keeps your mind engaged. Should definitely be discouraged or outright prohibited to build golf courses in places that don't naturally support that kind of grass growth and care, though. Fuckers are an enormous water cost that you don't have to spend in higher latitudes because it actually rains more than twice a year.

I just go to the driving range for the first part. Helps that my brother works at a Top Golf.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I want to donate my body to ballistics/explosives research. Maybe even after I kick it.

Way ahead of you, grandma.
https://twitter.com/MENA_Conflict/status/1396890664881774598

I wanna be cremated and have my ashes scattered in the ocean, preferably in or around Scapa Flow.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This clearly isn't going to go anywhere but whataboutism is just a hand wavy excuse Americans bring up when they show their hypocrisy. I'm done discussing this now anyways.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

Good news guys, bombing weddings and hospitals is okay now because America did it.

Hey as long as that wedding or hospital contains people who might be nazis or CIA adjacent, it's totally cool.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Midjack posted:

Always remember that you loved him and he loved you back. :unsmith:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Big Y I K E S here
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1398266757924667397

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

He assumed someone else's name who died in Korea and lived a double life after that etc.

Bonus

show spoilers because I don't want to get yelled at
The Dudes wife found out and was cool with it

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

A Bad Poster posted:

All are vets are heros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MA-Horus posted:

I have nothing to say other than my Thorton and Kessel jerseys go away and that was loving embarassing.

https://twitter.com/goodstacegal/status/1399528207183843329?s=09

Sorry...lol