Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Moving over from old thread.

Stravag posted:

Nations fighter command had an Easter egg where a ufo would show occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgXUe0m2msY

It was absolutely this game and it was a mind gently caress as a kid. It was WEIRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

make more people more likely to choose non-car forms of transportation.

The idea of annoying drivers enough to not drive, is "The free market will regulate itself" but wearing a "i like trains" t-shirt.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If something changed and a car commute that took 20 minutes now took 40, but the bus or a bike still took 30 minutes, you wouldn't reconsider your options?

Your question is taking quite a lot of liberties with what I actually said.

You're assuming alternatives exist. You're also assuming that if alternatives exist, they are reliable.

I mean, personally in my case it would take 1.5 hours to use any non-car option. And even if you did make my car commute take 2 hours instead of 25 minutes, no I still wouldn't because I actually have to show up on time. And the last time I had to rely on public transport to get to work, I got written up for being late so frequently due to busses leaving early, or the train not going.

But you've entirely missed the point. The point is that going "Hey, lets just make cars take a lot longer, i'm totally sure a reliable and effective public transit system will just magically appear!" is the same thing as people talking about how the free market will fix all the problems.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hell, i'd love to not have to use my car all the time. If I could just shitpost or play pokemon on my way to and from work that would be rad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Iain posted:

I'd like to piggyback off this, hasn't the pandemic shown that a lot of positions can be done via work from home? What if the need to drive to work at all was reduced? I know there would be huge pushback but what if the government gave companies their sweet sweet tax breaks if a certain percentage of their workforce was work from home? This would help with climate change as well right? You could even alternate like some companies come in person on certain weekdays and others get other week days. Which kind of defeats the purpose I guess and introduces all the issues being discussed. Didn't the first month of the pandemic see a huge drop in pollution? I seem to remember something about that.

The first month was very light traffic everywhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

is a catch 22. you need the money to prove its viable to the american people, and the buy in of enough of a city to completely tear down and rebuild large chunks of it, but to get those you need those people to actually buy in and believe in it

Cut police budgets by 20%, rebuild entire transit infrastructure with instead.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

Is Texas fixing their power grid?

Shouldn’t people be doing something about that before more people die?

I made a big stink about how it’s going to happen again when it was going on and was told that I’m being insensitive to the situation.

They won't even wear masks. Fixing power grids is hard.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My gf sometimes goes to vegas. Once there, she goes to the white castle near her favorite hotel, and plays Britney Spears slots (her favorite slot machine) while drinking beer and eating sliders.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stravag posted:

In glad im doing j&j if i was doing 2 shots and they both sucked like this i would be furious. Also glad that j&j shots got reapproved out whatever while i was still on my break so i wasn't losing hours. Hopefully i should be back to normal by the 6th

The first shot was barely anything. I had slight sniffles for an hour and my arm was a bit tender for a few days.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Retrowave Joe posted:

One aspect of work from home culture I like is people texting to see if it’s a good time to call. Oftentimes I can get by with a no, they’ll reply with an okay and their question, and I can answer it with a text. It saves so much time and unnecessary chitchat. Have you had similar experiences?

Yea. Saying "call me" will guarantee that I will never call you. Asking if you can call me will either get a "yes" or "No, just ask in text"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hekk posted:

You've never had a time where you wanted to be frank about a situation with a coworker but didn't want to write down your thoughts in case someone got ahold of the email later?

God no. After the times i've had people try to shiv me with made up bullshit? if it's not recorded it didn't happen.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

He really does have that look doesn't he. There's a ton of these in the south and the only hard part is figuring out if they're leaning more on the special ops delusional fantasy or the tough guy nazi biker one

His shirt has that whole roman eagle holding a fasces looking thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

That still sounds like a “Would you like to forfeit $1000+ in assets” question.

A large portion of doctors like to act like tin gods and you have absolutely no way of knowing ahead of times which ones are good or bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't get it, is there some reason you should still be masking even if vaccinated now? I still do it, because a lot of places here will refuse you service and that's fair, because there's no way to accurately verify vaccination status anyway. Is it because people think CDC guidance is more powerful than it is? That dumbasses who aren't gonna vaccinate are gonna magically stop masking just because the CDC said "vaccinated people are gonna be fine"?

Because I haven't had a cold or flu since before the pandemic started and i'd like to continue doing that.

Also just because i'm vaccinated doesn't mean i'm immune.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Is it just me being a contrarian or have people gotten worse at making snappy names to slam people and events with.

Drumpf, Fraudit, The Big Lie.. all sound like something you'd hear an obnoxious five year old say.

The Big Lie isn't some snappy comeback, it's a propaganda technique that's been around forever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

The only people I see so far taking advantage of the new cdc guidance are older white dudes. Everyone else seems to be a fan of masks still.

We had to put up a "Masks Required" sign for the first time TODAY. Because so many people would walk in with no mask, either go "oh, ya'all still doing masks? Weird" and go get their mask, or be all huffy when we refuse to help them until they put a mask on.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

It never fails to amaze me how readily the Dems will turn around and own-goal themselves.

It helps to remember that the democrats are just republicans with a different flag. They no more want to give money to anyone who isn't a C level executive or top 10% than any other politician.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm less bothered about the space golf courses use as the amount of water. They average 130,000 gallons per course per day.

For sense of scale, flint Michigan needs about 95,000 gallons of drinking water per day.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 24, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

There are other possible interpretations of this move. Biden is having the Department of Education review whether he has the authority to forgive student loan debt via executive action. A result is expected soon-ish, and if he got advance notice that he likely does have that authority, it would make sense to exclude the debt forgiveness from the budget.

No there isn't.

"Nothing is going to change" - Joe Biden about to be elected president

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Golf sucks but they use non potable water typically. I grew up in FL and all of those courses smell like sewage first thing in the morning. I played peewee football with a couple kids from a gated community and even their fancy rear end country club course smelled awful.

The use of the words "For a sense of scale" was supposed to convey the idea that the comparison was for scale purposes, not a 1:1 direct correlation.

It's still an obscene amount of water that could be put to much better uses considering the droughts happening everywhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This clearly isn't going to go anywhere but whataboutism is just a hand wavy excuse Americans bring up when they show their hypocrisy. I'm done discussing this now anyways.

How is that an excuse? You're the one excusing russia for doing it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hey as long as that wedding or hospital contains people who might be nazis or CIA adjacent, it's totally cool.

It's not a hospital bombing, it's an in situ gender reveal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

GOP platform is just harm everyone who isn’t our base

No, no, harm them too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Godholio posted:

Whom do you think it will be shocking to?

There were a lot of folks hyping up biden.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

No. No there loving wasn’t, not here. There were a lot of folks hyped to throw Trump out on his rear end.

This is the dumbest goddamn thing, one person says it every few days like it’s a fact when the succ dems succ.

lol, sure.

facialimpediment posted:

More or less my position on the whole thing. The White House is constantly grappling with the terrible Congress they have (mostly the Senate), though it beats a Congress with a Republican chamber.

The comments earlier are spot-on though. This current Congress won't even push taxes against the rich, an extremely popular position, because some Democratic Senators are bought off and wont do it. And said bought off Senators refuse to realize that "better things would be possible with more Democrats in the Senate" isn't a good 2022 message versus STOLEN ELECTION COMMIE DEMONCRATS RAISIN UR TAXES TO KILL UNBORN BABIES

Do you really think that if the senate dems suddenly stopped being lovely that Biden would be leading a charge to do all those things?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

But it's not on Biden that stuff like the minimum wage of $15 isn't a thing right now. And it's not like Biden has power over the Sinemas/Manchins of the Senate, so he would be "leading a charge" as they would be reading the latest paper version of Politico magazine. But he's not exactly prodding them hard either!

He does have some power though. You don't get to be nominated and voted in as president without having some levers of power in your own internal party, through things like campaigning. It's not like Trump was the first president to ever support or not support his own party candidates. Although I will grant most of the rest of them do it more in the primaries and not a week before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe we should have some kind of investigation in the events of that day, if you want justice.