Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hey there's fights. When? Now.

CommonShore posted:

`Disclaimer for gamblers – I am not a gambler. I talk about odds, but I use them as a talking point. When I highlight an underdog I’m not endorsing any kind of bet. Rather, I’m asserting that a fight looks more competitive to me than the betting line suggests. You’re responsible for your own decisions.

Light Heavyweight Dominick Reyes (+113) vs Jiri Prochazka (-125)
Former 2x title challenger Reyes makes his return after getting Polish Powered, though this was supposed to happen in February. Reyes is a striker who took Jones to a disputed decision, but then he got KOed by current champ Jan. Jiri is the former Rizin champ with wins over CB Dollaway, Fabio Maldonado, and King Mo, but in his UFC debut he KOed Volkan Oezdemir, so he’s justifiably getting matched up against a top opponent. Probably going to be a decent striking match, though don’t be surprised of Reyes is gun shy.

Featherweight Cub Swanson (+148) vs Giga Chikadze (-155)
Cub has been around and around and around. He’s on a winning streak right now, KOing Daniel Pineda last time out. He’s an unorthodox striker with a BJJ black belt. Giga is a top-tier Georgian kickboxer who is 5-0 in the UFC with no wins over good opponents, and one finish.

:siren: Light Heavyweight Ion Cutelaba (-130) vs Dustin Jacoby (+125)
Ion is one of those guys who is dumb as rocks and has good fights as a consequence. He’s the Moldovan brawler who is coming off of the “Play stupid games win stupid prizes” series vs Ankalaev. Jacoby got bounced from the UFC years ago but then established himself as a kickboxer and then fought his way back in via DWCS. He’s now 2-0 in his second UFC run, though his more recent fight failed to impress.

:siren: Middleweight Sean Strickland (-250) vs Krzystof Jotko (+226)
Excellent fight. Strickland’s return continues. He had a pretty good welterweight run then came back as a middleweight after a motorcycle accident. He’s 2-0 since then, most recently derailing prosect Brendan Allen by TKO. Jotko is a solid Polish technical striker on a 3-fight streak and a 9-4 UFC record overall. A year ago he took a decision from Eryk Anders. The winner of this fight will be entering the title picture, probably drawing someone like Jared Cannonier next.

:siren:Bantamweight Merab Dvalishvili (-240) vs Cody Stamann (+225)
Merab is already in the title picture, and that he now is fighting down is actually probably evidence of that. He’s a gigantic, powerful wrestler. He took a decision over Dodson in August bringing him to a 5-fight streak, so that he’s now matched against a guy who is 2-2 in his last 4 kinda speaks to him being in a holding pattern, waiting for a top-5 opportunity. Cody is a wrestleboxer with a MOLON LABE tattoo. His fights are ok I guess. Merab will be looking for that signature finish.

Flyweight Poliana Botelho (-225) vs Luana Carolina (+235)
Botelho is coming off a decision loss to Gillian Robertson in October for a 3-2 UFC record. Carolina is a DWCS product who lost by kneebar to Ariane Lipski in July. This probably doesn’t belong on the main card.

Prelims
Strawweight Randa Markos (+155) vs Luana Pinheiro (-157)
How is Randa still here? She’s 10-10-1 overall and has lost 3 straight. She got outwrestled by a Japanese rookie in November. Pinhero is a DWCS product from Brazil who KOed the poo poo out of Jorge Gurgel’s ex-sister-in-law in November.

:siren:Featherweight Kai Kamaka III (-147) vs TJ Brown (+142)
Speaking of… Kai Kamaka III is a prospect who had a great debut back in August vs Toney Kelly. That was a great fight! He looked good at first against Pearce but then sorta gassed and then lost. TJ Brown is a DWCS pawn who is 0-2 in the UFC and presumably still here because he gets paid nothing.

:siren:Strawweight Loma Lookboonmee (-350) vs Sam Hughes (+325)
Loma is a muay thai lady who is 2-1 in the UFC. She’s fun to watch. Sam Hughes from LFA and lost the title by an inverted triangle choke technical submission at the last moment. She had an eye injury TKO to Tecia Torres in her December UFC debut.

Featherweight Luke Sanders (-135) vs Felipe Colares (+130)
Sanders IDK. He lost to Soukhamthath but KOed Renan Barao. Probably says more about Barao. Colares idk also. He’s 1-2 UFC with no noteworthy opponents or fights I remember.

Middleweight Andreas Michailidis (-230) vs KB Bhullar (+210)
Bhullar is a Canadian prospect who was brought in to get KOed by Tom Breese on short notice. Michailidis is a 12-3 Greek who lost by falling through the cage door when his corner came in between rounds because he was KOed at the end of the round and didn’t know where he was. He comes down from Light Heavyweight.

Snack Rating: pizza from a chain restaurant, but from that one franchise location that you happen to know is way better than the chain is at other locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls
This first fight has been so loving weird so far. Colares has impeccable defensive technique though, he's been blocking every shot with his face.

Dr Interweb fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 2, 2021

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls
[double post]

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Looks like a good night of fights, but I'm not looking forward to to giant chickadee styling on Swanson hope Cub can keep up the streak of old gatekeepers keeping the youth off the lawn.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I would've thought the BMX/Hockey dude would have better cardio than that.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Betting that's 2-1 Colares, fun fight tho.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Always love seeing someone fully die their final death on earth in the first round, and then continue on to go the distance and win

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

very fun fight

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I'm kind of surprised they don't have oxygen tanks to help fighters recover after fights before they give interviews.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Solid first round for Michwhatsis, but Bhullar looks really smooth. If only he got punched in the face less.

Also, I've been out of the game awhile, but where's Bruce?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Volkova III posted:

Also, I've been out of the game awhile, but where's Bruce?

This is a minor card.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This is a minor card.

Awwwwwh. He did the Rogan and Goldberg thing?

Also, I've got Michailidis up two.

Edit:
Most surprising thing was seeing that somebody gave a round to Bhullar.

I really don't agree with the guy they showed who said Bhullar wasn't aggressive - he was trying, it just wasn't working. It looked to me like Bhullar's gameplan was to chip his way through Michailidis's defense and turn it on as the fight went. You can see that from the tons of leg strikes and constant feints. Bhullar would try like four things to bait Michailidis, but the problem was that Michailidis ... didn't fall for any of them, or chip, and that 1-2 of looping missiles he kept throwing (and landing!) was enough of a threat on its own to keep Bhullar honest. Bhullar was trying, that's why there were so many accidental dick kicks, but Michailidis didn't look like he felt those at all.

Really excited to see these guys again, which is an odd thing to feel from a prelim. Are prelim fights good now?

Volkova III fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 2, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

mildly interesting. other than the main I guess I'm excited to watch Giga

do I root for the Washington fighter or the fun muay thai fighter? conflicted

who the feck is Ryan Heck? routinely see his comments featured

artism fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 2, 2021

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Lookboonmee 20-18

artism
Nov 22, 2011

yes, but underwhelming for such a touted prospect. more impressed by Sam Hughes' 'grit'

onto the next one :toot:

artism
Nov 22, 2011

dangerous dean. whose life will he risk tonight?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

i remember watching carolina's other fight in the ufc because she very distinctly looked like she didnt belong at this level

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

she's looking decent this round though

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls
This might be a 28-28 draw

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Sloppy fight but that's a pretty sick comeback by Carolina

artism
Nov 22, 2011

match and point, thank God

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

drat Kamaka vs. Brown is a good fight.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

this is good

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

really fun fight

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

That was a banger

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

appreciate when all 3 judges are wrong

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Goddamn she blasted her in the face

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Oh, God, that's heartbreaking. That was an incredible fight.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
So was that a flop?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Full Metal Jackass posted:

So was that a flop?

Randa's career?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Full Metal Jackass posted:

So was that a flop?

Nah Randa kicked the gently caress out of her. They were still explaining to her that she won on the stool, and she had no idea where she even was.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

has stamann always had a tattoo that looked like he was tying off a vein?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Belial vs. Damian at UFC 263

don't worry, I remembered the name(s)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Belial vs. Damian at UFC 263

don't worry, I remembered the name(s)

You didn't even remember what thread you're in.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I almost feel bad for Jotko, he's just not getting much done.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

How did Jotko win a single round of that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Saying it was embarrassing to get caught by that elbow is quite the line.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Man I completely forgot Cutelaba was the dumbass who lost by pretending to be hurt then getting starched in the rematch, hope he gets smoked again

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I just want to say that I bet against cutelaba because he’s an idiot and I know nothing about the other dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Big Cutelaba fan here