Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I feel like I don't know enough about capitalism or marxism to make definitive judgement for or against either, however my perception of the two mirror's someone else in the other thread that said capitalism seems to work better because it does a better job of accounting for real-world human behavior. They both may have been invented much more recently but the basis for both seems much older.

For capitalism, as soon as one guy wanted something another guy had and realized it would be easier to trade him something for it instead of just murdering him or stealing it, that was the essentially the start of what we have today. And that wasn't something that needed to be invented.

Probably one of the best arguments I've seen in favor of Marxism in the real world is when Lord of the Flies actually happened real life. In 1966 a group of 6 catholic school boys between 13-16 years old were stranded on a deserted island south of Tonga. They were there for 15 months before being rescued and when they were, people discovered that rather than descending into savagery and murder as in Golding's novel they'd cooperated and flourished, and even built chicken pens, a gymnasium, and a badminton court. This was a big slap in the face to the "humans are cold self-interested monsters" movement that was so fond of using it as support for capitalism.

The problem is neither side seems terribly interested in the actual behavioral science, which is probably the most important part. It's clear that that humans are likely to work and cooperate in some situations and not in others. Intergroup Contact Theory has somethings to say about this as well. But one off the biggest issues, seems to be scale. Smaller groups, while still trending hierarchical seem to find an equilibrium that provides for everyone. The groups are small enough that people can form social bonds that prompt them to not only cooperate but also help others when it may not even be in their own best interest. Of course it generally is since losing someone in a smaller group usually reduces the utility and survival likelihood of the other group members.

However on a large enough population scale this seems to breakdown and people become disconnected enough from one another that market capitalism emerges. Marxism seems to be attempting to take the equilibrium that naturally occurs in smaller social groups and force it onto larger groups, which doesn't seem to work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU