Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

axeil posted:

x-posting my thoughts as well:

As much as I hate the Austrians they did do one good thing: and that is to definitively prove a planned economy (whether coming from the fascist angle or the communist angle) can never be as efficient as a market-driven system.

They showed empirically that the countries using command-style economies were, on the whole, only using their resources about 76% as efficiently as non-communist countries.

Of course, classical capitalism only cares about market efficiency and nothing about equality so you need some mechanisms in place to ensure that.

It pisses off the ideologues to no end, but the "best" (i.e system that most effectively balances economic efficiency against preferred societal outcomes like equality) economic system is some mixture of command and market economy...kind of like what most of the world practices. 100% market and 100% command economies really don't exist anymore. The main quibble these days is how do you best balance things which gets into a whole discussion of the inherent value of things and Trolley Problems and what not.

tl;dr: pure communism is doomed to failure just like pure capitalism because it they are too pure and highly "pure" economic systems end up not optimizing for things we care about (efficiency vs equality to be simplistic)

I've always disliked this argument because they specifically choose a definition of "efficiency" that makes the "efficiency" of their spherical-cow markets tautological but is pretty much useless for any of the things that we might actually want out of an "efficiency" measure. The obvious question is "efficient for who and for what" and the Austrians say "well efficient weighted by market control (and under conditions that would never exist in the real world)!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU