Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm gonna do a rewatch of the series with the one rule that I entirely skip Black Market

But you have to watch Woman King twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm sure they put on yank accents to mock us at least as much as we do theirs, but also something else to keep in mind is America exports so much TV and film that they probably hear our accents a lot more than we hear theirs.

My circle of friends includes a couple brits, at a party we asked them to do an “american” voice for us, very funny and I highly recommend asking the same if you’ve got brit friends.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sad question posted:

But you have to watch Woman King twice

lmao

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kathmandu posted:

My circle of friends includes a couple brits, at a party we asked them to do an “american” voice for us, very funny and I highly recommend asking the same if you’ve got brit friends.

The guy who played the president of the United States in the season 3 finale of the revived Doctor Who was so hilariously bad at trying to do an American accent.

Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty awful at it, too. (Listen to how he over-emphasizes his Rs as Doctor Strange.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone always points to Hugh Laurie for doing a good American accent but nobody ever talks about how Albert Finney and Ewan McGregor speak fluent Alabama in Big Fish.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Timby posted:

The guy who played the president of the United States in the season 3 finale of the revived Doctor Who was so hilariously bad at trying to do an American accent.

Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty awful at it, too. (Listen to how he over-emphasizes his Rs as Doctor Strange.)

Pe-teRRRRRR.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
why hasn't 3 dong horse live posted his hot rewatch takes, you can't just do this to us

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Timby posted:

Colin Stinton? He's Canadian/American.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Everyone always points to Hugh Laurie for doing a good American accent but nobody ever talks about how Albert Finney and Ewan McGregor speak fluent Alabama in Big Fish.

Isn't the southern accent supposed to be closer to British (meaning all the kingdoms) accents than other American regional accents?
When the X-Men writers try to write dialects into character speech, sometimes I can't tell who's supposed to be Irish and who's supposed to be from rural Southern areas.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

tadashi posted:

Isn't the southern accent supposed to be closer to British (meaning all the kingdoms) accents than other American regional accents?
When the X-Men writers try to write dialects into character speech, sometimes I can't tell who's supposed to be Irish and who's supposed to be from rural Southern areas.

People are going to give you funny looks if you start calling anyone from the island of Ireland, but especially the Republic, British :shobon: Also there's only one kingdom, that's why it's the 'United Kingdom of...'

It's supposed to be closest to, like, the West Country accent or something if I recall - but from hundreds of years ago. It's not super close to standard English (in the sense that Midwestern is standard American, that is).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Boris Galerkin posted:

why hasn't 3 dong horse live posted his hot rewatch takes, you can't just do this to us

sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

this popped up on my playlist today tho so i think it's an omen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9qjVj__dlE

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I remember reading itt that “bingo fuel” is a real term and I just heard it said in For All Mankind.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's habbidabull.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been binging through BSG again over the last few weeks, and I forgot how much weird poo poo happens in the second half of season 2.

Lee is only a Major for like two episodes before he takes command of the Pegasus, lol. Billy gets shafted so hard. Was that an actor thing? Or did they just want to kill him off and make Dee look like an rear end in a top hat at the same time?

The CO on my second ship was a bit of a geek and always said BSG was the closest representation of actual carrier life in fiction. There's always some chief loving a new pilot. Everyone hates the XO because he's a raging rear end in a top hat. The CAG is an overconfident douchebag. And that one episode Garner is the CO of the Pegaus is exactly what happens when the CHENG or Reactor Officer needs to unexpectedly take command. :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Billy gets shafted so hard. Was that an actor thing? Or did they just want to kill him off and make Dee look like an rear end in a top hat at the same time?

Yeah, reportedly he wanted to leave and pursue other opportunities. Which is fair because they barely used the guy -- and barely used his replacement either tbh, except for that early arc in season four.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AlternateNu posted:

I've been binging through BSG again over the last few weeks, and I forgot how much weird poo poo happens in the second half of season 2.

Lee is only a Major for like two episodes before he takes command of the Pegasus, lol. Billy gets shafted so hard. Was that an actor thing? Or did they just want to kill him off and make Dee look like an rear end in a top hat at the same time?

The CO on my second ship was a bit of a geek and always said BSG was the closest representation of actual carrier life in fiction. There's always some chief loving a new pilot. Everyone hates the XO because he's a raging rear end in a top hat. The CAG is an overconfident douchebag. And that one episode Garner is the CO of the Pegaus is exactly what happens when the CHENG or Reactor Officer needs to unexpectedly take command. :v:

There's also a couple of times at the beginning of season 3 where Helo is one slip in the shower away from becoming the admiral of the fleet. Even with no other ships to draw from, they managed to have a little bit more mobility in the roster than your typical Star Trek.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The guy who played Billy left for a starring role in the Knight Rider reboot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He did have a bit of a Hoff vibe to him huh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kelly is actually third in line for command of Galactica behind Adama and Tigh but you wouldn't know if because most people would respond by saying "Who?"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Arc Hammer posted:

Kelly is actually third in line for command of Galactica behind Adama and Tigh but you wouldn't know if because most people would respond by saying "Who?"

I only know who that is because of the board game

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished s3 rewatch. Lee's monologue on the stand is just loving lol.

But this has reminded me that Lampkin is probably my favorite semi-recurring minor character. :allears:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's been forever since i watched those BALTAR ON TRIAL episodes and i'm kind of remembering it as the writers wishing they were like aaron sorkin but i might be wrong

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They wanted it to be this big thing on par with the first two season finales, but when they were actually plotting out the back half of the season even the writers realized it was underwhelming, so they came up with the Final Five. So if they'd had a better idea we wouldn't have had that mess at all!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lee's speech at the trial is goofy and I enjoy it but I think it's more down to the acting than the actual writing because lol season 3 gets dumb.

Like most of BSG to be honest. It wouldn't be half as watchable if the actors weren't going all in for every episode.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The last few minutes of S3 (and the immediate follow-up with S4's premiere) still gives me chills. I think my roommate and I were literally jumping up on the couch when they showed Earth.

Arc Hammer posted:

Lee's speech at the trial is goofy

I AGREEE

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's hilarious how many people poo poo all over Helo to his face, and it's only by the man's stoic nature that they all don't end up bloody smears. Dude is 6'6" and jacked, and the couple times people gently caress around and actually find out are always a treat. :allears:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah Helo is lowkey a favourite character of mine. Didn't he kill one of the Pegasus officers who was raping Athena like, with his bare hands?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i thought that was an accidental kill when they tackled the rapist into a wall and a protruding bolt smashed into the guy's temple

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was, but Helo was definitely gonna kill that guy one way or another.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It wasn't even a tackle. It was Helo grabbing the dude by the shoulders and just chucking him off Sharon into the wall...temple-first into the protruding bolt. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. I just watched the web series side story with Felix and the Sharons for the first time, and what the hell?

First off, I'm pissed his relationship with Hoshi isn't mentioned in the main series at all. Second, it's more Felix torcher which goddamn, even if it does attempt to provide more context to his attempted mutiny at the end of the season. Just :psyduck: all around.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. I never realized the neurosurgeon they got to work on Sam was John loving Hodgman. He's so loving out of place during both scenes he's in.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I remember thinking at the time "that's just John Hodgson playing his Daily Show character".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Arc Hammer posted:

If they cast literally anyone else other than a perfect clone of Helo, maybe I'd remember him and not get confused why Helo was sometimes a part of the bridge crew.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023
I've never seen a single minute of this show but always read good things about it. Does it hold up well to ~current year~ and is it worth a watch?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ulesi posted:

I've never seen a single minute of this show but always read good things about it. Does it hold up well to ~current year~ and is it worth a watch?

Start with the miniseries. It’s been several years since I’ve seen it but I think it’ll hold up.

If you liked that, well, I would tell you to stop the series early, but by the time you’ll get to those points you’ll probably want to keep going even if you ultimately regret it. There are neat aspects of the show throughout but they get really heavy-handed with all the mystical stuff that wasn’t compelling to me at all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's not a thing wrong with it visually or production-values-wise as far as I'm concerned. It's fantastic-looking even today, and I find the story and characters plenty engrossing. Some might argue and maybe I'm a cheap date but there it is.

The more distracting thing for me is that it's very 2003 in the sense that you'll have a hard time ignoring ~9/11~ looming over the whole production like a big spooky vampire. In my recent rewatch I was startled to see how "contemporary" (i.e. to modern times, as opposed to being some distant time-and-place sci-fi space setting) it was, far more so than the original BSG which at least had the trappings of myth and mysticism matched in the costumes and dialogue.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would argue that some of the shaky camera in the later seasons seriously dates the show at this point; there were parts where it looked like the camera operator was having some kind of a seizure

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The CGI centurions never looked good and the space battle VFX got noticeably worse when they changed studios around Season 3's midpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

I would argue that some of the shaky camera in the later seasons seriously dates the show at this point; there were parts where it looked like the camera operator was having some kind of a seizure

Looking back after 20 years, the shaky camera is probably the most dated aspect of the show, even more than Space 9/11. Still, this show was one of the major influences that popularized the shaky-cam in the first place, so I'd say it EARNED that datedness.

I've found that when you sit down and watch an episode, you get used to the shaky-cam very quickly, and soon you mostly stop noticing it. The shaky-cam is WAY more noticeable if you're just watching a scene or two on youtube than if you give the show a proper binge.