Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

I remember when Tighs Wife got revealed as one of the Final Cylons I thought back to the Cylon test and how Baltar says she comes up negative, but then reminds us that EVERYONE comes up negative and that he'll never tell anyone what the real result says, and thinking what a spectacular piece of poo poo this man was to know she was a Cylon for literal years and never fess up that he invented a working test and then just LIED about all the results for fear what a Cylon Agent might do to him if he exposed them. Then I remembered that things he said later made it not make sense for him to know Ellen Tigh (or for that matter Col. Tigh since he surely tested him as well) was a Cylon so he must have just broke his own test after he ID'd Boomer. But the point is I totally believed that he'd just kept it to himself for all that time.

And him breaking the working test to protect his own rear end is another special form of shittiness that only Baltar is truly capable of.
Pretty sure that the writer's had just forgot that he had tested either of them by the point they decided to make them be Cylons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I never saw those things as a thematically cohesive whole, let alone a meta-endorsement that belief trumping everything else is a good thing.

Like Roslin's stuff I interpreted as being drama/frightening where she can't be reasoned with & won't change her mind given new information (because she didn't logic her way into her beliefs to begin with), is going to make decisions based on magic/hallucinogen visions, and there's no way out except a coup (which will be messy since she has a big following that believes in the visions). At least initially, the audience is not meant to see the visions as a good thing, and making them accurate-ish seems to me more like an easy mystery-box than any intentional theme.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I dislike the ending because after 4 seasons of people arguing over religion, ethics, war, worker's rights, political legitimacy, etc..., the ending says that the one thing all these people can universally agree on with no discussion or argument is "Let's throw all our technology into the sun and be hunter gatherers"

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Also, the last time they had a truce to end a war with the Cylons, the Cylons used it to set up a kill-everybody sneak attack. "Let's have another truce, we super double promise not to try to kill you all this time" isn't very convincing, especially when it's exactly the same people on the Cylon side that did the last one.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Writing the show one season at a time worked well, right up until it didn't.

My main problem with the ending wasn't the end being "god did it", but that the entire rest of the show is one big rebuttal to the idea that these people are going to uniformly agree with "We are going to give up all technology and live as hunter gatherers" without a bunch of arguing, disagreement, and violence.