Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

China's top scientists launched a 10-story tall rocket, but it accidentally went into unstable orbit instead of making its planned descent into the ocean. On May 10th, 21 tons of hot metal will come crashing down somewhere on planet Earth south of New York, and north of New Zealand (i.e. where almost everyone lives). It'll create a 100-mile wide debris zone which would be pretty hosed up if it landed in a city!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/may/04/out-of-control-chinese-rocket-tumbling-to-earth

quote:

Part of a huge rocket that launched China’s first module for its Tianhe space station is falling back to Earth and could make an uncontrolled re-entry at an unknown landing point.

The 30-metre high core of the Long March 5B rocket launched the “Heavenly Harmony” unmanned core module into low Earth orbit on 29 April from Wenchang in China’s Hainan province.

The Long March 5B then itself entered a temporary orbit, setting the stage for one of the largest ever uncontrolled re-entries. Some experts fear it could land on an inhabited area.

“It’s potentially not good,” said Jonathan McDowell, Astrophysicist at the Astrophysics Center at Harvard University.

I agree with Harvard Astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell that this is "potentially not good". But I think it could also be good, like if it landed on Mar A Lago maybe.

Where do you all think it will land? I secretly hope it hits me and will be spending May 10th hanging out in the front yard.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, say it landed in your backyard, what kind of scrap value would this have?

I think it depends on whether we can turn the chinese death rocket into a meme within 6 days, creating some eBay value

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Love that China is just throwing poo poo into the sky

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone wanna place bets on what country/area it hits?

My vote is Brazil

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Play posted:

I think I'll go with the world's oceans

a safe bet but unfortunately the payout is only $.50

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It could crash as early as tomorrow night (May 8)

https://twitter.com/AerospaceCorp/status/1390416330269020160

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

full size / legend

gently caress! it looks like the line just barely misses the DFW area

oh well

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

well, thread, I have a very sad update

I did not get crushed to death in my sleep by 10-stories of towering metal, which means the Chinese death rocket is still somewere up there in the sky

perhaps tonight I'll be so lucky

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

is that a 10 story, 23-ton rocket on your balls or are you just happy to see me

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hell yeah the south side of my metro area is just barely on the crash path, which puts me in the debris field assuming it's still 100 miles wide

:pray:

Bronze Fonz posted:

loving LOL it's gonna avoid China:

i wasn't onboard with the conspiracy theories before but :tinfoil:

smoobles fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 8, 2021

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: I'm out of the current path and I'm very disappointed.

you've got 16 hours give or take to drive somewhere on the path

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

we're now just a few hours from the crash window

have you guys called your loved ones to say goodbye yet?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Don Gato posted:

i was looking forward to being the first person to be killed by a 10 ton piece of space junk.

im sure your mom has already had lots of abortions tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

chinese rocket plummets out of atmosphere, hitting school

lol