Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mozi posted:

this is EXACTLY what Q predicted would happen

Ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Seriously, how much notice would there be? Time to evacuate a city?

Killer disaster movie plot imo

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

oh dope posted:

6 hours, give or take

Oh dope!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

yikes! posted:

i hope it lands on this idiot ^

Lol

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Rocket Ma’am

Lolololol

too young to get the lyric I think

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

It's lonely out in space :jerry:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just went back and re-read the OP properly and this isn't even happening until the 10th, that's days away.

gently caress you op, you should 've started this thread the night before or something.

Nope now we have time to all guess where it lands.
Let's see who wins I'm serious.

I'll go first: the Pacific Ocean

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Mozi posted:

it would be fun to make bets and whoever is closest gets an av or plat or something

my guess: it lands somewhere in the pacific ocean

Ahem

4 posts up

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Zil posted:

Saying the pacific ocean is easy mode. Say which island it gets closest to is a real challenge.

Ok
Hawaiian chain

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Man I'm sticking with Hawaii. Maybe ww23 averted because it's not really a state as we recently learned

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Oooo I'm in danger

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Baxter posted:

$50 to whoever calls the city it hits closest to, if there’s any interest.

Thread consensus on the city if it’s a wide field of debris.

Lisbon

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

https://youtu.be/X-wvbA-ARxc

Live chat with some footage

https://youtu.be/rPw6wPgtCb8

This one is better, it seems to show it moving in real time SO FAST

Spinz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 9, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I'm watching this thing move in real time over countries it's moving so fast. This is total bullshit. This type of rocket launch could kill thousands, and eventually will unless we outlaw them. gently caress this

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

GolfHole posted:

this is moonman posting

I googled and no I'm not racist

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Klyith posted:

no, it can't. it can only kill thousands of chinese people during launch, when it's full of like 500 tons of fuel and so can explode like a giant bomb.

an empty rocket is like a falling grain silo. very hard to imagine the scenario where that managed to kill a bunch of people eve if it does fall in a heavily populated area.
Oh

I honestly thought that because of its great speed it would be extremely powerful

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Aardvark! posted:

wow just wow.

Jeffrey can you please make a forum that's between "The Goodmine" and the "Toxic Waste Dump" where this thread can be archived for only the most depraved and bored of people?

What

Pfft. Since thousands DIDNT die this is proof poo poo is getting better. If this was last year it bullseyes an orphanage

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Klyith posted:

It has great speed as it enters the atmosphere, and that's why things that re-enter from orbit burns up. But during that process it also slows down hella fast. Astronauts in space capsules* take 4-6 Gs of force during reentry. That is harder breaking than you have ever hit the breaks in your car by like 10 times. So they're slowing down by like 50 meters per second, every second, for a few minutes. That'll take you from 8000 m/s to under the speed of sound in 2 and a bit minutes.

And a big empty rocket will slow down even faster than an astronaut space capsule, in the same way that an empty beer can will fall a lot slower than a full bottle if you dropped it off a building. A rocket with no fuel is a giant empty beer can with some engines on the bottom.

* the shuttle did less than 2 G, because it could actually use the lift of being a plane to stay in the thinner upper atmosphere (thin = less friction, less force, less heat) for a lot longer than a capsule. landing in the shuttle was pretty comfy and more fun!

Thank you for the very simple explanation! (Brakes lol :kiss: )

Johnny Aztec posted:

The rock that hit that set off the Dinosaur extinction event was so massive, that as it entered the atmosphere, the friction and heat of the air resistance caused the loving AIR ITSELF TO IGNITE IN A WAVE OF FIRE CIRCLING THE GLOBE

This is spectacular

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

GolfHole posted:

oh i just meant cause of your avatar, i didnt mean anything sorry

Oh 😂😂
I never look at my av, it's PERFECT for this thread yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Klyith posted:

TBQH the risk of hurting or killing anyone is pretty goddamn remote. Like, it's stupid that China is running so close to the edge of what their rocket can manage that they can't afford to put a system on it for the most bare-bones of re-entry control. Just "in the pacific" would be fine. But also I don't think it's an unconscionable risk.

The funny thing about the treaty that I mentioned before, it's the nation-state's responsibility to pay for damages even if it was some corporation that did the launch. So the US wouldn't let anyone like SpaceX do a launch this way, because then the US gov't would be on the hook for SpaceX's fuckups. So that's why everyone besides China is more on the ball. That and the potential diplomatic / prestige blowback.

tldr China don't care

Why can't they simply have a remote controlled self destruct on board? (To control timing and/or make the debris smaller)