Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

So this truck belonged to my grandparents. They live in Central California and in the way way back when they bought a cabin up in the Sierras and decided they needed something sturdier than the VW rabbit they were driving to negotiate mountain roads. They ended up with this 1985 Toyota SR5 Xtra Cab. 22RE[C] engine with EFI and manual transmission. FFW to today they decided they were ready to part ways with it and now I own it.

Its in shockingly good shape considering the age. Interior is very clean, with only one small crack on the dashboard despite never seeing the inside of a garage. Exterior is really decent, the clear coat is basically gone, it'll need a new coat of paint (and decals obviously) eventually, but there's no major problems areas and virtually no rust.

The glove box was full of a bunch of original documents:

The seats have basically had covers on them their whole life so they're crazy clean.

The engine runs great but leaks a ton of oil

I'm looking for some advice about what to do about fixing up the engine. I haven't done a compression test, but aside from leaking oil it seems to run fine. There's basically been no major engine work done to it... the odometer reads: :siren: 104,000 miles :siren: What concerns me though is all the gaskets/wearable parts are 35 years old. I'm thinking about buying a rebuild kit like this one: https://www.lceperformance.com/Premium-Master-Rebuild-Kit-p/1010006.htm

I want to do this the right way™ but there's a few things I'm unsure of. I've done a valve job on a small 4 cylinder that was burning oil really badly, but I've never done a full rebuild like this. A thing I'm curious about is for pistons and main bearings you can select "standard" or "+0.02, +0.03, etc" I presume that's for if you're going to have the cylinders bored out larger? Is that correct? and if so is that a thing that should be done? or is it just dependent on if there's damage to the cylinders?

I guess what I'm asking is what are things I need to consider in bringing the old girl back to her former glory. I know my way around an engine but this is a pretty ambitious project for me and I love to hear some opinions.

The only things I've done so far is replace the Drive shaft carrier bearing because it was ripped all to hell and put a new set of tires on it.

Bonus: Here it is brand new back in 1985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

I've been looking into the dual chain upgrade. I think If I don't tear apart the whole thing yet, I'll at least be doing the head gasket and timing chain. Its been run low on oil a couple times and I'd rather not run into trouble.

As far as the EGR, I had it shipped from California to where I live in Kansas. It passed smog last year, so its working *enough* I plan on moving back to the west coast in the next couple years so I need to keep all that working for now.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement radiator? I'm having an overheat issue. I ran some cooling system cleaner though it but I'm just getting gallons and gallons of brown water coming out. I'm thinking the old radiator has to be clogged to gently caress with debris. IDK very much at all about radiators. I've been leaning heavily on https://22reperformance.com/ They seem to have a pretty well curated parts catalog, but they don't sell a radiator.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

thanks, that's actually one I was looking at