Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Reyes should fight Santos a year from now

Jiri is fun

Lol at the card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Totally normal sport

https://twitter.com/mybookiemma/status/1390704877232431110?s=21

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

dude can't even stand up :stonk:

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Benoit's a bummer. I remember him looking good beating Sergio Pettis, but he's kind of fallen apart since then. Maybe he'd benefit from a fresh start in Bellator or Rizin or something

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
His body was just pulsing pictograms of electrolytes.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
He missed weight and was pulled from the card

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

How do we force fighters to fight at their actual weights? Or do we have to wait until someone dies from a bad cut? Can someone die from a bad cut?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Untrustable posted:

Can someone die from a bad cut?

they don't look on the precipice of death due to an optical illusion

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Untrustable posted:

How do we force fighters to fight at their actual weights?
If commissions do their job and are strict about preventing fighters from fighting when they gently caress themselves up with cuts, it's about all we can hope for.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Untrustable posted:

Can someone die from a bad cut?

yes https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mma/2015/12/11/death-weight-cutting-yang-jian-bing-mma/77143446/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

If commissions do their job and are strict about preventing fighters from fighting when they gently caress themselves up with cuts, it's about all we can hope for.

This is an imperfect system but you're right - if the commissioners used their power to kill a fight when someone subjectively looks like Benoit, or like Aspen Ladd, or Travis Lutter, or whoever on the scale. And it would likely do a better job than any supposedly "objective" system ever could, because an objective system can be gamed.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Untrustable posted:

How do we force fighters to fight at their actual weights? Or do we have to wait until someone dies from a bad cut? Can someone die from a bad cut?

Can someone die from dehydration...? Yes of course.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I know someone always has reasons/excuses why it won’t work, but I think same day weigh-ins would solve about 90% of this problem.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Untrustable posted:

yeah back when i was in school some wrestlers died (not at my school) from bad cuts/over cutting so the state made everyone get bodyfat tested at the start of the season and set a minimum weight you could wrestle at based on that. I wanna say it was 7%?

id like to think mma fighters are better with their nutrition and cuts than high school wrestlers, but im not sure a guy or gal getting paid $10k/$10k is paying for a dietician or whoever to get them down safely. even in 2021, i imagine it is a lot more like liddell locking a dude in the sauna during TUF than anything else.

https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/mma-weird-news-when-an-mma-fighter-cut-22-pounds-in-less-than-a-day-20191214.amp.html

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I know someone always has reasons/excuses why it won’t work, but I think same day weigh-ins would solve about 90% of this problem.

It absolutely would. It's one of those things which is utterly impossible to change until you change it and then it turns out we could have done it all along. It would mean some cancelled fights at first though, and the UFC and athletic commissions are all about the short term.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fellas, do u need water to live?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Couple more weight classes and same day weigh ins.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
i'm a little conflicted about the people that look like death at weigh-ins and miss weight (or barely make it, but look like they won't survive to actually get into the cage)

like on a human level, it loving sucks seeing fighters look dehydrated and clearly suffering real bad -- just watching some of these guys and girls not being able to stand up straight is brutal.

but the sports fan part of me takes over and remembers that these fighters are the ones choosing the weight classes they fight in, and anyone who chooses to have a brutal weight cut in order to make the limit is doing so because they want to have a competitive advantage over someone who is smaller than them or doesn't have to cut as much weight.

i hope they figure some kind of system to discourage these massive weight cuts but i suspect it'll take a few more deaths to force the athletic commissions and promotions to come up with some rules to protect these fighters from themselves

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nis posted:

i'm a little conflicted about the people that look like death at weigh-ins and miss weight (or barely make it, but look like they won't survive to actually get into the cage)

like on a human level, it loving sucks seeing fighters look dehydrated and clearly suffering real bad -- just watching some of these guys and girls not being able to stand up straight is brutal.

but the sports fan part of me takes over and remembers that these fighters are the ones choosing the weight classes they fight in, and anyone who chooses to have a brutal weight cut in order to make the limit is doing so because they want to have a competitive advantage over someone who is smaller than them or doesn't have to cut as much weight.

i hope they figure some kind of system to discourage these massive weight cuts but i suspect it'll take a few more deaths to force the athletic commissions and promotions to come up with some rules to protect these fighters from themselves

The way I see it the biggest issues are at the smaller weights. We've seen guys kill themselves struggling to make 125, 35, 45, 55, 70 and to a lesser but still occurring extent 185. There's always going to be guys and gals looking to game the system so the easiest way to get around the danger aspect is to give them a couple more options. If the weight classes were

185 and 205

I think you'd see some better competition. A fair few smaller WW who just get outsized would move down a class, and a bunch of 150s who can't make the cut or find it really hard will go up. You'll also probably see the lower weights, 125, 135, 145 have their issues alleviated because some guys who are killing themselves will no longer do so because there's less massive cunts killing themselves in their more natural division.

and yes - before anyone says - you will still for sure get the idiots that want to do it anyway to gain the advantage but in terms of doing the most good, I think this would be a start. I think Uncle Dana is a little short sighted in denying it because at the end of the day you end up with 155, 165 and 175 giving you some good options for super fights and champ v champ match ups to really put on an earner of a card.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hate the system not the people.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Fix the weight classes to be 10lb increments and force the fighters to weigh in each day of the week leading up to the fight.

Or failing that, eliminate weight classes entirely and allow for the lighter fighter to set the rules in a giant open weight tournament ala pride

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I don't know how accurate this is but my immediate reaction was that people would still absolutely play right up to the line and you'd just end up with a bunch of badly dehydrated and frail dudes dying in fights.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't know how accurate this is but my immediate reaction was that people would still absolutely play right up to the line and you'd just end up with a bunch of badly dehydrated and frail dudes dying in fights.

My immediate reaction if Ryan Benoit actually made weight and was scheduled to fight today, is that he'd get destroyed and learn to train/condition/prepare better for contracted prize fighting in the future.

Count me in for same day weigh in. I'm also in favor of more weight classes, but please don't let one fighter dominate 3-4 divisions. Make champions fight a minimum of twice a year or forfeit their title.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Same day weigh in would just lead to fighters cutting the same and rehydrating less.

And Benoit is like 2-5 in the UFC. He was getting destroyed anyway.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

They’re not going to add new weight classes because of the belief that it’ll dilute the product. Regardless of whether this is true, it would be a further barrier to entry for casual fans.

But I am also in favor of same day weighins. It’s crazy to me that there can be a twenty pound difference between two guys in the same weight class. Giga immediately springs to mind

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Sadly, this probably belongs in B-League now, but behold the next level training the UFC is missing out on:

https://twitter.com/UFC_Obsessed/status/1390821154877689857

Edit higher quality here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTRUJUQa6s

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

CommonShore posted:

Same day weigh in would just lead to fighters cutting the same and rehydrating less.

And Benoit is like 2-5 in the UFC. He was getting destroyed anyway.

I think some guys would likely try it and discover quickly that the cut would compromise their performance too much for the size advantage to make a difference against an opponent fighting at 100% of their capacity. I don't think anybody cutting 20-30 pounds is going to rehydrate enough to be competitive in the span of an hour or whatever.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ccubed posted:

Sadly, this probably belongs in B-League now, but behold the next level training the UFC is missing out on:

:stare:

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Untrustable posted:

Bad weight cutting probably causes more deaths in combat sports than the actual fighting

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ccubed posted:

that's just assault, poor diego

mewse
May 2, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

This isn't as clear cut as it seems. The athletes will still cut weight and with same day weigh-ins they'll enter the ring dehydrated. The brain floats in the skull in a bag of cerebral fluid that gets depleted when dehydrated. Same day weigh ins could cause worse brain damage and overall more trauma than previous day weigh ins.

That being said my entire experience in amateur boxing had same-day weigh ins and nobody batted an eye.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think some guys would likely try it and discover quickly that the cut would compromise their performance too much for the size advantage to make a difference against an opponent fighting at 100% of their capacity. I don't think anybody cutting 20-30 pounds is going to rehydrate enough to be competitive in the span of an hour or whatever.

It's this. If you go straight from the sauna to the cage (via the scales), the fighter's performance will suffer badly. Extreme cutting will stop when the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hey everyone thanks for the insight. My brain short-circuited and I was like, "I know weight cutting can cause kidney failure" without even thinking about the lack of water and such. I appreciate that I can drop a hella dumb question and still get genuine answers. Thanks.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

mewse posted:

This isn't as clear cut as it seems. The athletes will still cut weight and with same day weigh-ins they'll enter the ring dehydrated. The brain floats in the skull in a bag of cerebral fluid that gets depleted when dehydrated. Same day weigh ins could cause worse brain damage and overall more trauma than previous day weigh ins.

That being said my entire experience in amateur boxing had same-day weigh ins and nobody batted an eye.

I understand the health concerns if someone keeps trying to cut just fine. I also know fighters by their nature are willing to risk their health in ways that aren't always sane, but I doubt anyone would keep that up if they don't get an advantage from doing it. I mean, right now fighters make huge weight cuts just because it's pretty much required to stay competitive and on a level playing field, but most of them say they hate every second of it. It's always funny to me how happy fighters are when someone has to take a fight on short notice and both sides agree to do it a weight class up. They're all smiles and talking about how great it is to just be able to focus on the fight and not the misery of the cut. Meanwhile, they're still fighting somebody pretty much the same size as them. I think the vast majority of fighters would be happy as hell to leave that stupidity behind.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Lots of fighters get paid like complete poo poo and miss out on what is to them a lot of money if they miss weight. There is still going to be a big incentive to do dangerous weight cuts even with same-day weigh-ins.

e: that isn't to say that i'm totally against same-days though

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 8, 2021

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I agree, I think for same day weight cuts to be a health benefit to fighters we would need to see a lot of coinciding changes at the promotional or AC levels that we will almost surely never see.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
BJJScout is premiering a Fabia video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv4ZmSZFlI0

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

leftist heap posted:

Lots of fighters get paid like complete poo poo and miss out on what is to them a lot of money if they miss weight. There is still going to be a big incentive to do dangerous weight cuts even with same-day weigh-ins.

e: that isn't to say that i'm totally against same-days though

Is the incentive of having a theoretical strength and size advantage enough to outweigh the reality of shambling into the cage already gassed out before the fight even starts? Hope you manage to get a KO in the 30 seconds you have before you're ready to completely collapse against an opponent at their physical peak who's ready to go a full 3-5 rounds.

And anyway, I absolutely hate any argument that's predicated on "somebody is going to do it anyway" as its basis. I get that idiots are going to try things that are dangerous and stupid, but that doesn't mean that we have to endorse and support those choices through our policy decisions.

"Extreme weight cutting is dangerous and stupid and we think that it should stop. But if we tried to actually stop it then some incredibly dumb and self-destructive fighters would try it anyway, so instead we'll maintain a system where LITERALLY EVERYONE is forced to cut huge amounts of weight just in order to be remotely competitive."

That is just the most counter-productive and backwards argument I can imagine.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Just now seeing that the Ben Rothwell vs Philipe Lins fight is off because Phil fell ill :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That is just the most counter-productive and backwards argument I can imagine.

I think the argument is that since fighters are going to do it anyway, if they are fighting having been severely dehydrated 36 hours prior, it is on average better for them than if they were fighting 12 hours after being severely dehydrated. You also get additional time to notice something is wrong with a fighter, a la the Max Holloway TV interview (though I think that was a Thursday).

Yes, they'll probably be less dehydrated at weigh ins, but will they be less dehydrated at fight time given 1/3rd the recovery time?