Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Aye Doc posted:

excellent news fight fans, Nick Diaz is BACK

https://twitter.com/AlexBehunin/status/1390104270624550914?s=19

he will be hosting/livestreaming a 2 hour self defense course for popular cam girls in the near future

lol Nick Diaz/FightCircus crossover event when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I know someone always has reasons/excuses why it won’t work, but I think same day weigh-ins would solve about 90% of this problem.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

CommonShore posted:

Same day weigh in would just lead to fighters cutting the same and rehydrating less.

And Benoit is like 2-5 in the UFC. He was getting destroyed anyway.

I think some guys would likely try it and discover quickly that the cut would compromise their performance too much for the size advantage to make a difference against an opponent fighting at 100% of their capacity. I don't think anybody cutting 20-30 pounds is going to rehydrate enough to be competitive in the span of an hour or whatever.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

mewse posted:

This isn't as clear cut as it seems. The athletes will still cut weight and with same day weigh-ins they'll enter the ring dehydrated. The brain floats in the skull in a bag of cerebral fluid that gets depleted when dehydrated. Same day weigh ins could cause worse brain damage and overall more trauma than previous day weigh ins.

That being said my entire experience in amateur boxing had same-day weigh ins and nobody batted an eye.

I understand the health concerns if someone keeps trying to cut just fine. I also know fighters by their nature are willing to risk their health in ways that aren't always sane, but I doubt anyone would keep that up if they don't get an advantage from doing it. I mean, right now fighters make huge weight cuts just because it's pretty much required to stay competitive and on a level playing field, but most of them say they hate every second of it. It's always funny to me how happy fighters are when someone has to take a fight on short notice and both sides agree to do it a weight class up. They're all smiles and talking about how great it is to just be able to focus on the fight and not the misery of the cut. Meanwhile, they're still fighting somebody pretty much the same size as them. I think the vast majority of fighters would be happy as hell to leave that stupidity behind.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

leftist heap posted:

Lots of fighters get paid like complete poo poo and miss out on what is to them a lot of money if they miss weight. There is still going to be a big incentive to do dangerous weight cuts even with same-day weigh-ins.

e: that isn't to say that i'm totally against same-days though

Is the incentive of having a theoretical strength and size advantage enough to outweigh the reality of shambling into the cage already gassed out before the fight even starts? Hope you manage to get a KO in the 30 seconds you have before you're ready to completely collapse against an opponent at their physical peak who's ready to go a full 3-5 rounds.

And anyway, I absolutely hate any argument that's predicated on "somebody is going to do it anyway" as its basis. I get that idiots are going to try things that are dangerous and stupid, but that doesn't mean that we have to endorse and support those choices through our policy decisions.

"Extreme weight cutting is dangerous and stupid and we think that it should stop. But if we tried to actually stop it then some incredibly dumb and self-destructive fighters would try it anyway, so instead we'll maintain a system where LITERALLY EVERYONE is forced to cut huge amounts of weight just in order to be remotely competitive."

That is just the most counter-productive and backwards argument I can imagine.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yes, you are essentially rephrasing the same the same thing I said. Allowing ample rehydration time is a choice to incentivize and protect the interests of fighters who would choose to do dumb and dangerous things otherwise. I still don't find it remotely compelling as an argument.

I would solve the problem by going the other direction from what you're suggesting. Give them even less time to rehydrate, like essentially zero. Ideally, you leave the locker room, you get on a scale, then you go fight. You either fight at close to your natural healthy weight, or at least a sustainable and reasonable weight, or you do not fight. If they did multiple weigh-ins and spot checks in the couple of weeks before the fight then pretty much everyone would have to fight in a healthy condition to be competitive.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, that's my point. They wouldn't have a competitive advantage anymore if they could only get that size advantage by entering the cage barely able to stand up. Nobody would do it anymore because they would know their performance would be impaired.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah exactly. I mean, do you think Ryan Benoit would have tried that stupid bullshit if he had to go pretty much straight to the cage after that? No way. But if he managed to keep his composure just enough to keep the fight from being cancelled then he would have been given a whole day to recover and get his poo poo together. That stuff happens all the time, even when fighters do miss weight. And fighters who pull those stunts often do get an unfair advantage from trying it too. I see no good reason to support and incentivize that behavior.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Currently all fighters have to do is not be so obviously hosed up or so overweight that the fight gets cancelled. It makes little to no difference if it's a good cut or a bad cut. They've got a full day to recover and rehydrate. That plays right into the hands of the worst and dumbest offenders and it happens all the time. I'd rather protect the interests of everyone else.

But to answer your question, I think he wouldn't have done the cut if it was today because, even if a cut is "good" comparatively speaking, no one who literally just got done cutting 20-30 pounds is going to be in shape to go 3-5 hard rounds with a completely fresh opponent. He would lose and there's no reason to do this if it doesn't give you an advantage or at least keep you on a level playing field. This is especially the case if the fighters are weighed repeatedly and routinely to make sure they stay at a reasonable and healthy weight throughout the run-up to the fight. Even someone having a "good" cut isn't going to sustain that weight for days or weeks on end. The whole thing is about hitting that weight for one brief moment and then quickly ballooning back up.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

I don't understand -- a bad cut is definitionally one that affects their weighin (like functionally stepping onto the scales without getting pulled by the commission or making weight).
So a bad cut.... does make a difference?

These aren't terms that have concrete definitions, so my understanding may just be different from yours. I've seen fighters say they had a bad cut and they still end up fighting (and often winning). I mean "bad" in the sense that the cut was very difficult, the weight didn't want to come off, there was a great deal of physical suffering involved, etc. I would more likely call what you're describing a failed cut.

I don't want to get too caught up in wrangling over terminology since it doesn't change the thrust of anyone's arguments here, but hopefully that makes things clearer. It was only important inasmuch as I was just trying to say that a supposed "good" cut of 20-30 pounds still isn't a walk in the park and will take a physical toll on someone that's enough to compromise performance.

EDIT - ^^^ God drat it! Poor Angie.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Ribas was pulled for a positive COVID-19 test.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
While I agree that it's frustrating for looks to factor into choices to keep undeserving fighters around, I think there's a little more to the story than that with Andrea Lee. There was some questionable judging in her recent losses and the one to Lauren Murphy in particular was an out and out robbery as I recall. Like every media score had it for Lee. So she should really be coming in on a single loss at worst to Roxy. I think she also gets some extra latitude because she's decent and fighting at 125, which is lean on promising talent.

There's still no good explanation why Carmouche should have been cut though. That was some bullshit. I think they probably did it because she's clearly not going to win a title, but she's good enough to spoil things for lots of fresh contenders they would otherwise be able to bring in for Shevchenko to maul.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Brut posted:

Who's the third?

Corey Hill. He was on Ultimate Fighter.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Foul Fowl posted:

lmao. it's so hosed up that tony is never gonna win the big belt.

He’s a fun fighter and that is truly a great line, but I think he’s also a big obnoxious dipshit. I feel like this is a relatively uncommon take though, so it may just be some unconscious bias of mine. I’ve tried to cut the guy some slack since he’s clearly got mental health problems, but he can be an awful rear end in a top hat at times. In that presser, he was mouthing off about how he’s going to slam Dariush and how he slammed one of his students and broke their rib, like that’s something to be bragging about.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I see Oliveira's protracted path to the title as a failure of UFC brass to appropriately nurture talent more than anything. I remember seeing him early in his UFC career and thinking right away that he looked like a future contender, but any time he ever got some forward momentum going the UFC would throw him in the deep end of the pool and match him up with someone he was clearly not ready for. I mean, in his first three years with the promotion that dude fought Jim Miller, Donald Cerrone, Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson all close to their primes. If he would have been given a more gradual path into contention then I think he would have developed his confidence and skills to where they are today much faster. But instead he just got his rear end whipped over and over by division elites and I think that shook him and led to this unfortunate narrative that he wilts under pressure. Who knows, maybe he even believed it after a while. I'm really glad that he had the wherewithal to keep going until his game and mentality developed more fully. He's just an incredibly fun fighter to watch and seems like a genuinely nice guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does moving forward now that he isn't just bouncing off the top 5-10 over and over anymore.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Marching Powder posted:

i really don't know about this. it's not like he was just fed to sharks. the dude was good and when he was on he could have beat those dudes.

And yet he did not beat any of them. You don't have to fight exclusively sharks to have your career suffer for being pushed too fast. The fighters that were appropriate matches he did beat. I just think that when your best wins in your first five years with the promotion are Jonathan Brookins and Jeremy Stephens, maybe there should be some intermediate steps before you get to the biggest murderers in the division. That's what he was getting though.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Black Beast caught someone breaking into his car and knocked him the gently caress out lol

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I think at the last presser Dana said they would stick to the current crowd free shows at the Apex for the near future because that’s what they had budgeted for. Who knows if he’ll stick with that now, but that was the word as of Saturday night at least.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I may be misremembering, but I thought the part he was talking about was specifically Fight Nights and smaller non-PPV stuff that they would have already planned to hold locally.

Not like it matters much. They seem dedicated to packing the house as soon as possible regardless of health outcomes either way.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I mean that it doesn’t matter much in that the UFC seems committed to doing mostly the dumbest thing possible with regards to pandemic health and safety at all times, so it’s more of a surprise if they sacrifice the gate and maintain current plans.

UFC is coming back baby and super-spreading events to an arena near you.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Raulian Paiva was hospitalized due to his weight cut and is now off the card. They got some rando to step in against Dvorak.

Does someone have to literally die before this issue gains real traction?

EDIT - Who am I kidding? One death won't be enough. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Reem just signed with Glory didn't he?