Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Untrustable posted:

Really still wish I could get an "Oil Dome Contender" gang tag.

You can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Thoughts:

I’m into Neal on Neil violence.

Why is Angie Hill so low on the card? She’s at least as fun/skilled as Michele Waterson, and the UFC is basically operating on Who’s Line Is It Anyway rules as it is.

gently caress, I thought I had a third point. But I don’t.

Well Angie lost to Michelle in her (Waterson's) last fight, though it was a close decision and she did beat up Ashley Yoder since then.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That is just the most counter-productive and backwards argument I can imagine.

I think the argument is that since fighters are going to do it anyway, if they are fighting having been severely dehydrated 36 hours prior, it is on average better for them than if they were fighting 12 hours after being severely dehydrated. You also get additional time to notice something is wrong with a fighter, a la the Max Holloway TV interview (though I think that was a Thursday).

Yes, they'll probably be less dehydrated at weigh ins, but will they be less dehydrated at fight time given 1/3rd the recovery time?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I think I'm way more for cageside weigh ins than I am for same-day (as in, 9 am local time the way current ones are), that's probably what would actually get people to not gently caress around. But if it won't, it won't be pretty.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://i.imgur.com/5CWnBI4.mp4

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Look sometimes you just gotta wake yourself up, you know.

I went back to clip this because I thought it looked bizarrely like a tap (even though nothing justifying a tap was happening at the time), but turns out it was even weirder than I thought.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CommonShore posted:

so e.g. I'm waiting for Michael "Jon Jones" Moraeles to make his big league debut.
Holy poo poo I thought this was a joke, this is amazing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

reeg posted:

He's shot but he ain't that shot. Punk has no power or wrestling and Cowboy has better BJJ.

I'm looking at the current roster at 170 for fighters that wouldn't hurt Cowboy badly and it's pretty dire. If he absolutely insists on continuing to fight, he's never fought Condit before. He could also fight Maia in a Loser And Winner Leaves Town match

He doesn't wanna fight at 170, the fight this weekend wasn't supposed to be at 170 either, he was ready to cut to 155 until Sanchez got replaced with Morono. Look for names at 155, or maybe even 145ers willing to go up to fight cowboy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

Max Holloway then.

Lol no. Edson Barboza, Brendan Allen, Josh Emmett. Maybe even someone unranked but I'm poo poo with names so without a list in front of me those fighters might as well not exist.

There are others who make sense but I wouldn't wanna derail their own run for it, Evloev, Mitchell, Dawodu make sense to me but I think they all have things to do in their own weight class.

I haven't taken in to account who's already booked or not for this.

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 10, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

reeg posted:

Unfortunately I think everyone you mentioned is significantly better than Alex Morono (also Brendan Allen is 185, you may be thinking of Arnold)

I think it's gotta be a retirement tour kinda fight. Cerrone/Miller 2 or Cerrone/Guida

Oops I was even looking at the list when I typed that, yeah, I mean Arnold.

They're better than Alex Morono but they also fight at 145, Morono's fought at 170 his entire career except for when he fought at 185.

That being said, I like the options you suggested as well.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ilmucche posted:

I was going to say clay guida in response to the goon suggesting the find-a-new-fighter thread, but clay is still fighting??

Clay Guida beat Michael Johnson 3 months ago, and I think it was even a good fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mekchu posted:

This is all likely to be fake, yet I hold out hope

(black background = Dana, grey background = Diego's manager Joshua Fabia)

Edit - This is in context of Fabia recently accusing Dana & Sean Shelby of having sex with female fighters which is a thing we've at least heard about Dana once a la Brendan Schaub insinuating that Dana hooked up with Ronda when she was a fighter, after Schaub and Ronda had broken up.

There is 0% chance that's real, come on dude.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

reeg posted:

The other two were fighters who were never the same again, one of whom died young. Chris should probably definitely stop fighting

Who's the third?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Brut posted:

Click here to make your UFC 262 picks

Click here to view your UFC 262 picks

As always, please let me know if something seems wrong with the form or results.

Don't be that person who forgets to make their goonweight picks until it's too late.

It's me, I was that person :smith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Anyway here's a GDT, fights start in 15 minutes. Go fill out the goonweight form.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

I realized that cuz he shouts out the city, I could easily figure out which event it was.
If anyone on Fight Pass can rip his interview after his fight with Elkins, I would love to see it again.

https://i.imgur.com/jtm4F62.mp4

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think at the last presser Dana said they would stick to the current crowd free shows at the Apex for the near future because that’s what they had budgeted for. Who knows if he’ll stick with that now, but that was the word as of Saturday night at least.

While that is correct (I believe he said "rest of the year", not just the near future) this was in the context of asking whether they'll be back to Florida and Texas again this year and also about going elsewhere, basically he's saying he'll only go to places that are fully open where he can have a full gate, not partial capacity.

Even if the T-Mobile Arena in Vegas is now one of those places, that doesn't mean UFC just gets to book it for every weekend, and it has no bearing on their ability to go anywhere else.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

el B posted:

Have these attended fights been considered super spreader events? Are we far enough away from the events to be able to trace new infections to them? I haven't seen any stories or reports, related to those worries, show up in my news feed so I'm genuinely curious.

I did see the UFC stuff get mentioned in news a few times for the Florida card but it was when it was happening, not in terms of studies after the fact, news cycle moves fast. My understanding is that it also generally coincided with spring break, so it being Florida, it's hard to isolate just the UFC card. To a lesser extent the Canelo fight being in Texas the previous week also helps distract attention from UFC in terms of media coverage.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Seems like enough fighters publicly said "I love Diego, shame about that idiot he's with" that it got through, good.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Jacare will be 42 by the time his arm heals, do you really wanna see him in BKFC? He can probably crush a few cans in Bellator though, but I suspect that's not how they'll match it up.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Uh apparently this card started a loving hour ago despite having fights fall through? Why the gently caress is it this early.

Here's a GDT

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ccubed posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but found it interesting.

Hmmm is there a more detailed breakdown as to what counts as "fighting"? Pretty much the main reason I use Fightpass (in the US) instead of ESPN+ is that I get to see the corners between rounds, is that fighting or other?

Additionally, this chart is a little bit difficult to read because...as mentioned, the same events are on multiple platforms but with different ad showings, how is a "UFC on Fox" being shown on Fight Pass for the international audience being counted?

Definitely interesting, I agree.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah but it was the same back then too except ESPN+ is a streaming service people are actually directly paying for, so it's extra loving stupid they're showing ads over the corner footage, but Fox totally did it too for their TV broadcasts.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Troy Queef posted:

In honor of Paul Felder’s retirement, let’s remember when he revealed his weight-cutting secret: https://youtu.be/_4jVGjpyNsY

I've never seen that scene, holy poo poo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I don't expect to have any accurate idea on who is fighting anymore until like, when the prelims start. And even then poo poo sometimes happens

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1397372884151119873

Here's a big list of upcoming match ups so that we have something to talk about, as there's no card this week.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

Unrelated, apparently Chimaev went after Khabib a bit, as part of Kadyrov trying to lure Khabib out of retirement:
https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-mma-news-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-khamzat-chimaev-khabib-nurmagomedov-beef/

Khabib seemed completely unflustered by the callout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNCuwTksKks
I wish I could understand how his accent comes across in Russian. He's obviously a completely fluent native speaker, but I can't recall what any of the Russian speakers here said of the Dagestani accent.

Hahaha the subtitles seem to kind of fall behind towards the end there, he's trying to explain to the reporters that Lobov was just randomly insulting him meanwhile Chimaev is saying something like "I'll beat him in a cagefight" which is his right to say, it's not an insult and there's no need for him to treat it the same as the Lobov situation.

Khabib definitely has a noticeable accent, like if I heard just audio of someone speaking like him I'd immediately know that person didn't grow up in Moscow or somewhere like that, but he's also quite well spoken these days and there's certainly people with way stronger accents.

Edit: The thing about Russian is that with how big the USSR was but now isn't, there's lots of people from various countries where Russian isn't the official language anymore (or some places where it never was), who still speak the language decently well, as a result it's not that uncommon hearing people speak it with a good understanding of the language but a very strong accent.

There's a local handyman my mom calls over to her house from time to time to fix stuff who I believe is from Poland or somewhere, it takes my full concentration and focus to understand what the gently caress he's saying, with Khabib I can mostly just casually listen.

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

And to go with that, Anatomy of UFC 263 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeK4jS7NZ7U