Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheKingslayer posted:

Sure, not every ol person on contract should be seeing Dana whenever they want, but you'd think Diego Sanchez of all people might have earned a little face time.

yeah. if dana wasn't a shitheel who fell into every trapping of fame and fortune that pop culture has warned us about he'd do diego the decency of pleading with him to retire face to face. as it is though, this is absolutely not a surprise.

i feel bad for diego. he was seasoned before i started following the ufc again like a decade ago. it sucks to see him thrown on the trash heap like this but it is what it is.

e: holy loving poo poo he flogged kenny florian on tuf1 finale 16 years ago. absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Untrustable posted:

Poor Diego. I'm not a fan, but drat it sucks how lovely the UFC is to fighters.

and yeah i hope your bro finds a modicum of happiness calling convicts gay from within his playground of nightmares and flogging them when they are forced to enter. it's probably the funniest prison story i've ever heard and i've heard some great ones.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

You'd think it would cost nothing to at least treat these athletes with some dignity personally but here we are.

i can see the point that dana couldn't be at the beck and call of every fighter on the roster but yeah when a guy helped save the company that's currently occupying your time 16 years ago you pick up the phone imo.

education edit: never used the phrase 'beck and call' in writing before and had to google it because wtf is 'beck'? it's short for beckon fyi.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Too lazy to quote from the old thread, but wasn't there basically an oil dome scene in Enders Game? The book, at least, I never watched the movie.

if you aren't wildly misremembering either the oil dome story or the book i'd be very surprised.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

quote:

the real crime here was putting a master of physical comedy like that in prison and not in front of a camera

god drat i miss dunc

also i miss laughing and having fun in general. can you imagine anyone saying this about the monthly threads recently?

quote:

This thread, generally speaking, makes me laugh more than any other thread on these dead gay forums but the Legend of Oildome has to be an all-time high point

2018 wasn't even that long ago. god drat.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

poo poo I might be able to get some custom rashguards made for super duper cheap soon and I might get an oildome one made for myself.

lol if you have excess stock i'll paypal you whatever. i'd probably pay up to 150 if you get this quote printed on the back:

quote:

ehhhh i try vary ard to lure my oppo-nent into my oil lair, all credit to bitches

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

holy poo poo the q&a with his brother. i forgot all about that. i laughed so loving hard so often in the mma threads but this really was the peak.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I'll keep this in mind and if I do it I'll just ship them at cost to anyone else who wants one. I'll need the right logo, though.

This might turn into a SAGK pipe dream, keep in mind. I have too many dumbass projects on the go already. In fact, at this moment I'm posting instead of working on my dumbass projects.

noted, because here is literally you in the oildome thread:

CommonShore posted:

Someone get on making an Oildome FC rash guard

you may yet become the man you dreamed of

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo. One of my personal rules is if I realize that I had the same idea multiple times, I need to follow through on it.

there's an art sub in this forum right? surely i could throw some money at an art goon to do up a logo for oildome. i don't know why i want a rashguard with an absurdly obscure meme on it but i'll be happy every time i look at it which would make it more valuable then most of my possessions.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

but everyone is in orange jumpsuits

Lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i will never blame anyone other than diego sanchez if diego sanchez died in bizarre and suspicious circumstances. even if police wanted to speak to 'a large, red, bald, hideous baby driving a monster truck waving around syringes in connection with the sanchez death'

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I mean, there are art goons in this very thread.

Describe what you want and I can probably help. I just don't know where to begin.

er, 'oildome prison championship' in full, acronym, or both. imagery would be a bottle of baby oil, a championship belt, prison bars, or a slippery when wet sign. poo poo i don't know i'm not an artist or funny. but if anyone wants to give this a crack i would actually pay for your time if you send me a dm.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gently caress that old thread was wild. it features me wondering seriously why demian maia was a +400 dog against loving kamaru usman. it also features me not believing that cmpunk could possibly be bad enough to lose to a journalist with some amateur boxing experience they picked specifically to be bad enough to lose to cm punk. to say i was wrong on both counts would be wildly charitable.

one more good quote from the thread:

quote:

TIL in prison you will be labelled a f****t if you do not step into the oildome and wrestle with the oiled up naked openly gay guy

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Untrustable, do you have any idea what kind of stance your brother took when some challenger would enter the cell for a fight?

please say in the stance that kids doing karate are in before they start their kata

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo. One of my personal rules is if I realize that I had the same idea multiple times, I need to follow through on it.

linked an art goon. this is the result. they're going to send me a variety of files for the hi res image so if you ever go ahead with this project and want to use this, just hit me up. i thought it hit all the major notes.

no pressure though ive lived this long without an oildome rashie

https://imgur.com/aQEWavF

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nis posted:

looks a lot cummier than i imagined it

guess the artist read about the gay man inviting a parade of prisoners into his body oil sanctuary and making intimate contact and wasn't reminded of an un-cummy situation.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I'd have gone with the OG UFC logo man and made him naked and covered in oil but I'm no artist.

lol if there was some way to make the lubrication pop on a rash guard i'd commission this too.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I was envisioning a mashup of a stereotypical b-league mma logo and a baby oil logo

that sounds good as hell

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

Nick Diaz unintelligably shouting over his own echo, in what appears to be an empty warehouse fitted with a green screen, as he attempts to teach strippers how to use nunchuks via video conference call is that little dash of 2000s MMA absurdity I have so desperately needed during these trying times.

how much is it? i'd pay ppv dollars to watch nick diaz tend a garden, teach self defence, eat a hearty meal etc.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Can someone die from a bad cut?

they don't look on the precipice of death due to an optical illusion

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

maybe it's because it only exists in a tiny area of murderland (australia) but the cassowary is the only animal i am sure would kill me if it wanted to. right up there with a mama bear or some poo poo. turning a corner and seeing one just staring at me is the last time i knew true fear. the see also section of their wikipedia lists two things, 'raptor' and 'fancy name for raptor'. they are raptors.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

you need to at least see the barboza ko because i've never seen anything like it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I see Oliveira's protracted path to the title as a failure of UFC brass to appropriately nurture talent more than anything. I remember seeing him early in his UFC career and thinking right away that he looked like a future contender, but any time he ever got some forward momentum going the UFC would throw him in the deep end of the pool and match him up with someone he was clearly not ready for. I mean, in his first three years with the promotion that dude fought Jim Miller, Donald Cerrone, Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson all close to their primes. If he would have been given a more gradual path into contention then I think he would have developed his confidence and skills to where they are today much faster. But instead he just got his rear end whipped over and over by division elites and I think that shook him and led to this unfortunate narrative that he wilts under pressure. Who knows, maybe he even believed it after a while. I'm really glad that he had the wherewithal to keep going until his game and mentality developed more fully. He's just an incredibly fun fighter to watch and seems like a genuinely nice guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does moving forward now that he isn't just bouncing off the top 5-10 over and over anymore.

i really don't know about this. it's not like he was just fed to sharks. the dude was good and when he was on he could have beat those dudes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i genuinely miss joe silva and hope that giant nerd is happy somewhere far away from the ufc

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

And yet he did not beat any of them. You don't have to fight exclusively sharks to have your career suffer for being pushed too fast. The fighters that were appropriate matches he did beat. I just think that when your best wins in your first five years with the promotion are Jonathan Brookins and Jeremy Stephens, maybe there should be some intermediate steps before you get to the biggest murderers in the division. That's what he was getting though.

fair enough. i can't remember the context of the matchmaking back then but i never remember anyone saying how inappropriate the match ups were or thinking that oliveira was being sent in there to die. he's always been hanging around contention.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

Dariush: “I dedicate this win to all those
affected by Marxist ideologies!”
Texan crowd: “BOOOOOOO!”

MMA is still the funniest sport.

yeah whoever posted that in the gdt had me lolling.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

moctopus posted:

Sorry if this was already posted.

Someone on reddit made, or linked, to a collection of delayed knockouts.

Figured it would be neat since there was some extra discussion about it.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CraftyClassicIndianhare-mobile.mp4

this is cool because it reinforces to me just how loving weird the barboza one is. a count of four before the dude goes cross eyed, loses all balance, and then finally loses consciousness.

still think about that liver shot knockout from the olden days where the dude gets drilled in the liver, doubles over in pain, and when the other guy runs in to finish it he gets knocked the gently caress out and finished before the knockout from the liver shot sets in.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

muchos gracias lobster. every time i see it i think it can't be as insane as my memory thinks it is and... yep. that's a knocked out dude knocking out a dude.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's the salient example of a fighter who's completely rocked swinging for the fences and turning the tide when the opponent comes in to finish.
Pat Barry x Cheick Kongo isn't a one hit example but has the same insane degree of reversal.

actually i just remembered a story from i think bisping who got knocked out but autopiloted to victory and came to during the result announcement. he said he was heaps excited but back stage everyone was trying to get him into the ambulance and he was saying 'no, i won, what are you talking about?' and finally someone asks him 'what year is it?' and he thinks for a couple of seconds before asking where the ambulance was.

scary poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

leftist heap posted:

I miss full on board shorts in the UFC lol

lol who was that hobo who was on a tuf that wore supermarket board shorts in an actual fight forcing herb dean to rip off the tag mid fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Goddamn I forgot how hosed up Cheick was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAwOwBB5OQ

i absolutely cannot believe the ref didn't call that for pat. i forgot that cheick was known for things other than punting dudes in the balls

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Chainsaw Charlie didn't have an epic comeback, he just pooped out his guts

[salutes stoically]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nierbo posted:

This is good stuff. We need more video calls between heavily accented fighters.

personally i've always thought that ufc promos should be each fighter making traveller call out videos to their opponent and posting them online in 144p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9dLgKK1Y6c

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

That sounds like a good way to get fighters murdered.

Apparently an Irish boxer made a joking one of those videos and some travellers tracked him down and broke his legs.

i vaguely remember that story. anyway yeah probably don't for real make fun of travellers.

speaking of travellers and bare knuckle fighting, this is a great documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6xAXBaho0

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I can't see the video preview on my phone so I'm going to assume you've linked the movie "snatch"

No, but if Ritchie didn't model Brad pitts character and family on the nevins clan I'd be surprised.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

I've got a soft spot for the American cousin, the Appalachian dirtfolk callout videos for Rough n Rowdy (before Barstool got involved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGucaj2GXwk

lol. swagmaster owns.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

UFC 261 was in a full indoor stadium on April 24 and numbers have been falling consistently in Florida and across the country since then. Knock on wood, but it seems as though we may be back to the point where it’s okay to have attended sporting events again.

Is Florida the place where the governor had cops raid and point firearms at someone for refusing to fudge the numbers of covid deaths?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

p. smart for the ufc to hold a super spreader event where it is state policy for the fallout from it to never be made public. gotta respect the hustle.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kragger99 posted:

“Touch-butt in the park”.
Thanks for reminding me of that excellent Diazism.

conor's movement coach was absolutely a placebo at best, but nobody had really thought of a good way to own him on the subject while he was on an insane run of dominant wins. nathan takes one look at that poo poo, said the first thing that came to his mind, and we never heard of anyone using a movement coach ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sorry if this has been posted already but i only just found out about it so...

somebody did a feature length documentary on florida man mike perry. the first spoken words are 'train wreck' and the next words are a definition of a train wreck so i'm sure it's worth my time and maybe even yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQX8foeLviQ