Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Couple more weight classes and same day weigh ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nis posted:

i'm a little conflicted about the people that look like death at weigh-ins and miss weight (or barely make it, but look like they won't survive to actually get into the cage)

like on a human level, it loving sucks seeing fighters look dehydrated and clearly suffering real bad -- just watching some of these guys and girls not being able to stand up straight is brutal.

but the sports fan part of me takes over and remembers that these fighters are the ones choosing the weight classes they fight in, and anyone who chooses to have a brutal weight cut in order to make the limit is doing so because they want to have a competitive advantage over someone who is smaller than them or doesn't have to cut as much weight.

i hope they figure some kind of system to discourage these massive weight cuts but i suspect it'll take a few more deaths to force the athletic commissions and promotions to come up with some rules to protect these fighters from themselves

The way I see it the biggest issues are at the smaller weights. We've seen guys kill themselves struggling to make 125, 35, 45, 55, 70 and to a lesser but still occurring extent 185. There's always going to be guys and gals looking to game the system so the easiest way to get around the danger aspect is to give them a couple more options. If the weight classes were

185 and 205

I think you'd see some better competition. A fair few smaller WW who just get outsized would move down a class, and a bunch of 150s who can't make the cut or find it really hard will go up. You'll also probably see the lower weights, 125, 135, 145 have their issues alleviated because some guys who are killing themselves will no longer do so because there's less massive cunts killing themselves in their more natural division.

and yes - before anyone says - you will still for sure get the idiots that want to do it anyway to gain the advantage but in terms of doing the most good, I think this would be a start. I think Uncle Dana is a little short sighted in denying it because at the end of the day you end up with 155, 165 and 175 giving you some good options for super fights and champ v champ match ups to really put on an earner of a card.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

artism posted:

They’re not going to add new weight classes because of the belief that it’ll dilute the product. Regardless of whether this is true, it would be a further barrier to entry for casual fans.

But I am also in favor of same day weighins. It’s crazy to me that there can be a twenty pound difference between two guys in the same weight class. Giga immediately springs to mind

The belief that it'll dilute the product at the lower weight classes particularly adding a 165 class is somewhat ridiculous. Right now there's at least 3 or 4 guys who are known as lightweights but struggle with the cut and you could argue it's impacted their careers negatively but are simply too small for the 170 class. RDA, Nate Diaz, Kevin Lee are the first off my head. Khabib missed weight 3 or 4 times throughout his career. Porier has come out in favour of it too. There are for sure fighters who cut too much to make 155 or simply can't compete physically at 170 who would perform better in a 165 class. There's plenty of fighters who moved up weight classes and looked a lot better because of it. Jan was a middling middleweight before he went up to LHW, Bobby knuckles was decisioning cans and getting knocked out at 170 before going up to 85.

They have 85 something lightweights on the roster and 75 welterweights, there's only about 45-50 middle weights. You could quite easily populate another division in the 165 range and have it be plenty competitive.

ilmucche posted:

Or weigh them like 3 days before, the day before and then cage side? some combination that means they can't just cut to the weight, but people can get a heads up if someone's missing weight

The way one fc works in policy is that fighters can only cut a certain amount of weight over a certain period IIRC they weigh in something like 3 times before their final weigh in to check their progress. This method might be improved on the current system if not a perfect solution.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

John Wayne Parr posted that he failed over 10 hydration tests and missed weight for his recent bout against Nieky Holzken and ONE still let the fight go on, lol

Yeah, I was thinking of exactly that situation which is why I said "in policy" and not "in practice" ;)

Lucasar posted:

I've often thought it would be best to have weight classes every 10 lbs from 130 - 200, and then heavyweight to 265 or 270 or what have you.

130 would get the flyweights and the smaller bantams (TJ, Cejudo, Figs etc), 140 would get the big bantams/small feathers (Cruz, Aldo, Aljo, Yan, TKZ etc), 150 would get the big feathers and small lights (Max, Volk, Zabit, Barboza, Oliveira), 160 gets big lights/small welters (Khabib, Conor, Hooker, Masvidal, Diaz, Pettis) and so on and so forth. I don't know how you would practically transition from what we have to that, but it would definitely freshen everything up and spread out some of the talent between feather-middle as well as making the smallest weight class a bit more competitive by fusing it to half of the bantams.

Yeah I would agree with that too, you might get a bit light on from 180 to 200 but I think with the vast majority of MMA athletes falling in that 130-175 range it would make sense to expand there first.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Miller or Guida would be cool final opponents. Diego was kind of perfect.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My money is on chuckles but Chandler isn't a great match up for him. He could for sure bank the early rounds.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

drat, Ferguson looks like poo poo.

He is cutting weight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

it's reportedly a congenital defect with his esophagus.

drat, that's a tough one to swallow.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Goddamn that man is a treasure.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

“Any power of attorney that Fabia had has been rescinded/terminated,” Lakins said.

Haha what the gently caress that can't be normal

Jesus he gave him power of attorney?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bisping knocked out Rockhold on ten days notice and then poo poo talked him while downing beers.

He owns.