Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Benoit's a bummer. I remember him looking good beating Sergio Pettis, but he's kind of fallen apart since then. Maybe he'd benefit from a fresh start in Bellator or Rizin or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Southpaugh posted:

The weekends fights were fun. Even if my preferred Neal lost.

Magny/Neal was definitely the best fight on paper from a competitive standpoint, probably should have been the main but Neal has no name. He's still young enough to recover from two straight losses and I hope he does

Magny, meanwhile, is inching towards the "most wins in ufc history" list. If you counted his Ultimate Fighter wins he'd already be on it. Not bad for a guy everyone used to root for ironically because he was the third best fighter from the most boring season of TUF

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Nis posted:

man what if cm punk beat cowboy though...

He's shot but he ain't that shot. Punk has no power or wrestling and Cowboy has better BJJ.

I'm looking at the current roster at 170 for fighters that wouldn't hurt Cowboy badly and it's pretty dire. If he absolutely insists on continuing to fight, he's never fought Condit before. He could also fight Maia in a Loser And Winner Leaves Town match

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Brut posted:

Lol no. Edson Barboza, Brendan Allen, Josh Emmett. Maybe even someone unranked but I'm poo poo with names so without a list in front of me those fighters might as well not exist.

There are others who make sense but I wouldn't wanna derail their own run for it, Evloev, Mitchell, Dawodu make sense to me but I think they all have things to do in their own weight class.

I haven't taken in to account who's already booked or not for this.

Unfortunately I think everyone you mentioned is significantly better than Alex Morono (also Brendan Allen is 185, you may be thinking of Arnold)

I think it's gotta be a retirement tour kinda fight. Cerrone/Miller 2 or Cerrone/Guida

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Dana simply made a bargain with the ghost of Whitey Bulger, trading his own soul for Diego's. That's not the same thing as sending an assassin.

Also Hermansson/Shahbazyan is off 262 and the card is looking increasingly thin

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

mewse posted:

"There's been three leg breaks in the history of the UFC and now I'm part of two of them" OOF

The other two were fighters who were never the same again, one of whom died young. Chris should probably definitely stop fighting

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

He’s a fun fighter and that is truly a great line, but I think he’s also a big obnoxious dipshit. I feel like this is a relatively uncommon take though, so it may just be some unconscious bias of mine. I’ve tried to cut the guy some slack since he’s clearly got mental health problems, but he can be an awful rear end in a top hat at times. In that presser, he was mouthing off about how he’s going to slam Dariush and how he slammed one of his students and broke their rib, like that’s something to be bragging about.

Oh for sure. He was the heel of his season of TUF, making fun of Ramsey Nijem's recently dead dad (or grandfather? can't remember), then easily beating Ramsey in the finals. I remember being pumped when Michael Johnson beat Tony. Then Tony's fight style because so aggro and fun that it became basically impossible for me to root against him, but that doesn't make him not an obnoxious dipshit

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Oliveira best pray that Conor wins because I can see a world where Do Bronx beats Conor or Gaethje but I can picture nothing but Poirier absolutely whomping him

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

brian posted:

i don't really get that logic, poirier is like mr technically good conservative striking and oliveira does incredibly well in that sort of fight, while this fight showed that he probably has some weaknesses to powerful imprecise blitzing, of the three of those I'd imagine gaethje to be the scarier of the three with conor probably in second because he can probably still land a one punch KO type dealio

I think Oliveira was able to beat Chandler because he got overconfident and overextended, which was not an uncommon thing for Chandler to do

I don't see evidence of Oliveira doing incredibly well against technical strikers (see Oliveira vs. Holloway, or Cowboy, or Felder, or Frankie, or Pettis). Poirier would piece him up on the feet and has excellent control of distance and really good BJJ

Gaethje is stationary enough to be clinched up, where Oliveira has found success in the past (he'd have to eat some leg kicks to get in) and Conor has certainly displayed some issues with grapplers in the past

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Some other fun Oliveira facts courtesy of Wikipedia:

He now has the most finishes in UFC history (not just the most subs)

He has the most combined performance/knockout/submission of the night bonuses with 14. Cowboy has 12. Best I can tell Andy is third with 9.

13 of his first 14 wins were by submission (1 decision). Since then he's TKOd 3 of his last 5 opponents. Do Bronx is cool

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1397721991713484804

you get the sense maybe dana white isn't quite ready to forgive yair rodriguez

gently caress this is so good, hadn't even considered that matchup

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CarlCX posted:

Man, I do not like that matchup. From a boring divisional standpoint Rodriguez's best win is Zombie and that was three years ago and arguably not even a top ten fight and sending him all the way up to fight the #2 guy in the division is a fuckin' leap, especially after two years of inactivity, and from a 'will it be good' standpoint unless Yair's been doing some real crazy poo poo during his time off Holloway is going to beat the absolute loving poo poo out of him which admittedly would actually be kind of fun in a terrifying way

i dunno, it feels so much like a "Dana wants to give Max a showcase for a title shot" fight to me

I will of course never be surprised if Max beats the absolute loving poo poo out of someone but I think Yair (if he's been training for the last two years and not just sitting around healing up) can make a real fight of it. I think he has less power than a Calvin Kattar but can possibly keep up on numbers with Max in a way Calvin couldn't. I'm excited to find out! I also think it's a better matchup for Yair than Zabit, which I suspect would have been a nightmare for him if they ever made it to the cage

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This forum: Bisping... on the roids? Yes.
Also this forum: Weidman is clean.

looks clean to me

https://twitter.com/chrisweidman/status/1387015274621280258?s=20

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

blue footed boobie posted:

There’s an unnervingly good chance that Tyron loses that fight…

Tyron won't lose, he trains with a professional boxer (Ben Askren)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Yesterday's card was very whatever but I encourage you to watch Ponzinibbio/Baeza if you can, it ruled

Pre-layoff Ponzinibbio was one of those guys who was working his way towards a title shot despite clear holes in his game like Matt Brown or Mark Hunt (or Oliveira for that matter) which to me is always more fun to watch than a truly complete fighter. Like Brown he'll probably never get his shot after losing to Li Jingliang but I'm always still excited to watch him