Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Asproigerosis posted:

heh scouting overhaul is just the old ncaa system where your scouts focus on getting the block shedding skills on corners and never bother checking how they are in man or zone coverage. Also there's nothing to interact with outside of like 4 weeks. Also you can barely scout any players and almost the entire draft is you being completely in the dark. Also it's really loving agonizing trying to compare players and figure out whos good or not because you have to load in and out of player profiles individually. It's all such hot garbage woof. 10/10 will buy again next year.
Yeah, it blows. The old system sucked and required too much pointless clicking, but at least you actually got relevant information on players and position groups of interest, rather than having barely any relevant information on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm a little frustrated with the (non) blocking in Mobile Madden.

The Life of a Madden Lineman

Runnin for the end zone
Runnin for the end zone
That guy can't stop me
Slide past that guy like he don't exist
Runnin for the end zone
Runnin for the end zone
Almost there don't stop me now
Nothin to slow me down,
I am a ghost that nothing can touch
THE JOY, THE ECSTASY !!! I cross the line, I've made it!
I see the coach and smile. He returns my gaze and speaks, loudly

"Hey Kowalski, Who did you block?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Brooks posted:

"Hey Kowalski, Who did you block?

People just assume every Eastern European is an NFL offensive lineman and frankly it's a hurtful stereotype.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
There is a mobile madden? I can't even imagine how janky that must be

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It’s just an even more naked vehicle for trading card micro transaction poo poo than the main game.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

This year is worse than last year. The game is set up in such a way that if you want to spend endless money you can. There's a decent sized portion of the game you can't play unless you've ponied up money and the rewards for free to play players are much smaller. For example they just released Most Feared and the featured player is a maxed out Randy Moss that you can only get in you spend more than a thousand dollars on the game. The naked money grab is running a huge amount of the player base off.

I've never spent a dime on the game and the only reason I play is that I can play on my tablet now.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Back in my day we'd get cool cards in madden but they'd give you player boosts and poo poo like big head mode.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Madden cards in Madden 2002 was the perfect implementation of a card system

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I know that roster updates have been a thing for awhile, but I just found out that they've also been modding NFL2k5 to update it as well. New rosters and player pics, new uniforms, new score bugs, WFT instead of Redskins, updated stadiums, new coaches, etc.

https://github.com/lostsoul63b/NFL2K5-Resurrected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeEFWAOfDJc

Definitely looks cool.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

How would I get that on a PC?

My perfect football game would be based around the NFL of the late sixties. The AF /NFL fighting is interesting and there were some classic teams at the time. Throw in an ENB graphics package to make the stuff feel real and I'd be happy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Brooks posted:

How would I get that on a PC?

My perfect football game would be based around the NFL of the late sixties. The AF /NFL fighting is interesting and there were some classic teams at the time. Throw in an ENB graphics package to make the stuff feel real and I'd be happy.

Install an emulator like PCSX2, Google "nfl2k5 iso ps2", then look on YouTube for a video called NFL2K5 Resurrected Launch Tutorial which, if I remember right, explains how to install it.

Sorry, I'd provide links but I've got one foot out the door, ready to catch a bus.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

The AF /NFL fighting is interesting

Now I am thinking about an NFL themed fighting game a la Mortal Kombat and I desperately want this to exist.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Finale boss: Vontaze

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Eifert Posting posted:

Finale boss: Vontaze

Peyton Manning sending you across the middle of the field.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Hizawk posted:

Peyton Manning sending you across the middle of the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-4cz3hlr0

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Retro bowl is out on the switch and oh my god it's so good with a controller

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

loading up on first round picks and trying to play with no star players is sort of fun. you can start picking up wins a few games into the season when the game takes pity on you

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Id almost buy a switch just for Retrobowl.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Does the Switch version have any changes from the phone version?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Chucktesla posted:

Retro bowl

Hmmm what is this?

Checks site.

Starts it up.

Oh god what I have I done where has the work day gone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fartknocker posted:

That’s what I’m curious about too, although for five bucks it won’t break the bank. I know I got my 99 cents out of the iPhone and Android versions.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

With the amount of retro bowl I’ve played I would still feel like I got my money’s worth at $100. It such a god drat fun game.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

fartknocker posted:

It added controller support and kickoff returns. Also it's published by a company called FiveAcesPublishing so this port is possibly a goon project

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Chucktesla posted:

It added controller support and kickoff returns. Also it's published by a company called FiveAcesPublishing so this port is possibly a goon project

Is it full controller support or are you just using the controller to juke instead of swiping a screen?

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

DariusLikewise posted:

Is it full controller support or are you just using the controller to juke instead of swiping a screen?

I mean it can be played on an nes-style pad, but if you're using a standard controller you can use either the left stick or d pad to control players and aim your passes while the right stick controls your jukes and dive. You use the face buttons to call a run play, audible, call timeout and as alternate juke and dive buttons. I think the touch controls are in there as well but I haven't tried them

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chucktesla posted:

Kickoffs alone will probably get me to try it there too, but like others have said I've definitely gotten my moneys worth from the iOS one and won't mind the few bucks for it on another device.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

It's five bucks and the pre order discount brought it gotten to $3 when I got it. It'll probably be in the $1-$2 range on sales pretty frequently if I had to guess. They are also going to add defense at some point so it might be worth it to wait if you're on the fence

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Chucktesla posted:

It's five bucks and the pre order discount brought it gotten to $3 when I got it. It'll probably be in the $1-$2 range on sales pretty frequently if I had to guess. They are also going to add defense at some point so it might be worth it to wait if you're on the fence

That's a price point I'd just pick it up and be totally happy with it. It's become my go-to game when I'm waiting in line to pick up my kid from school.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
So I got the Switch version and have knocked out a few games. Some quick thoughts/comments:

- Roster size seems set at 12 players, unlike the app version that can be changed between 10 or 12. I tended to play with 10 for increased challenge on the app, and even then I’d burn a spot or two on offensive linemen (Which are mostly useless) in later seasons.

- The kick returner seems to be just a generic random player. I don’t know if you can set one of the star players like a RB or WR there, which is what I’d like. I wonder if their ability is based on one of the coordinators. Since I just started out, neither one I have is all that good (Both are one star) so that’ll be something to see in later seasons, since I know just for regular offense or defense the difference between a one and five star coordinator is big. As it stands, my starting field position with returns isn’t very good, so I’m usually hoping for it to be in the end zone for a fair catch.

- Game speed and play is very close to the app but obviously different, and using a controller is part of that. I’ve got about 120 seasons played on my iPhone, most of them on Hard difficulty (Including the last three saves being solely on Hard), but right now I’m still doing dynamic and working my way up as I’m figuring out the differences in speed and whatnot. Some of those easy dump offs to the RB or fades to receivers that I can do so easily on the app, on the Switch my timing and angling is a bit off. Plus just getting used to the different controls (I’m using the Joy-cons and playing handheld on my OLED). That’ll all get better over my game time.

- Speaking of which, the bullet pass seems to work a lot better than the app version, but I half wonder if that’s the lower difficulty I’m still on. Players seem to actually catch it in stride here, although it’s still easy to get picked.

- You can run backwards now. Don’t know why you would, but I’m now tempted to see if the 1-point safety is in the game…

So yes, it’s still good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the game recommended i start with whatever team would have me instead of picking the team i like, and i went with it, but now i'm stuck with my boys. i can't leave them. it would be a hosed up bastard who could leave their boys. houston is going to win 100 super bowls. next time i'll know better

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Has anyone really found the bullet pass useful on mobile? I've sort of learned how to aim it so that my receivers catch it a decent amount of the time, but really I only use it because it's hard to do and it adds extra challenge when I'm already playing on extreme. The one situation I've found it actually sometimes preferable to the regular pass is on WR fly routes when the WR is nowhere close to outrunning the DB(s). If you zip it to the WR with the right timing you can get it there without the DB(s) having a chance to come back and make a play. That's really the only situation I've found where the bullet pass is more reliable than the regular one.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Thermos H Christ posted:

Has anyone really found the bullet pass useful on mobile? I've sort of learned how to aim it so that my receivers catch it a decent amount of the time, but really I only use it because it's hard to do and it adds extra challenge when I'm already playing on extreme. The one situation I've found it actually sometimes preferable to the regular pass is on WR fly routes when the WR is nowhere close to outrunning the DB(s). If you zip it to the WR with the right timing you can get it there without the DB(s) having a chance to come back and make a play. That's really the only situation I've found where the bullet pass is more reliable than the regular one.

Almost never. It’s too easily intercepted by linebackers and linemen, and too often the receivers dive and go down catching it. Even trying it on easy stuff like out routes or check downs it has no real advantage over the normal pass.

Using it to throw to a WR who isn’t outrunning a DB is kinda useful, but I find throwing it short as a comeback/back shoulder sort of thing is a lot more effective for that sort of stuff, or just lobbing it up and hoping for a jump ball or tipped catch.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Trip Report: The Switch version of Retro Bowl does not have the proper 1-point safety, it erroneously awards 2-points :pathetic:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's the standard RFL rule i believe

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Playing through my first year in Retro Bowl I traded the noodle arm QB for a first round pick and passing went from bad to atrocious. I realize it's going to work out better in the end but at the moment the number of times INTERCEPTION is flashing on the screen is frustrating. Having never spend money on Mobile Madden despite playing for years I might actually spend the .99 cents to be able to edit team names.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 13, 2022

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
So after a few more weeks of playing around with the Switch version of Retro Bowl and finishing a number of seasons, I have some more thoughts:

fartknocker posted:

- The kick returner seems to be just a generic random player. I don’t know if you can set one of the star players like a RB or WR there, which is what I’d like. I wonder if their ability is based on one of the coordinators. Since I just started out, neither one I have is all that good (Both are one star) so that’ll be something to see in later seasons, since I know just for regular offense or defense the difference between a one and five star coordinator is big. As it stands, my starting field position with returns isn’t very good, so I’m usually hoping for it to be in the end zone for a fair catch.

As near as I can tell, regardless of the coordinator level, the kick returner is always just a generic guy and isn't anything special. It's a nice little extra feature, the best returns I've had getting close to midfield, but ultimately meaningless compared to the off-screen returns of the app version. Fair catches are mildly bugged, as sometimes rather than kneeling, the returner will dive and now I'm facing a 99-yard drive.

Speaking of bugs, the Switch version has a few of them that weren't present in the app. The one that annoys me the most that I've noticed is the number of audibles a QB has will change from game to game or even half to half, so the point that I wonder if it's done differently than the app version. In the app, the QB can get up to 5 audibles per half as they increase in level, but I've seen a QB start a game with only a single audible for the first half, then suddenly have three in the second.

fartknocker posted:

- Game speed and play is very close to the app but obviously different, and using a controller is part of that. I’ve got about 120 seasons played on my iPhone, most of them on Hard difficulty (Including the last three saves being solely on Hard), but right now I’m still doing dynamic and working my way up as I’m figuring out the differences in speed and whatnot. Some of those easy dump offs to the RB or fades to receivers that I can do so easily on the app, on the Switch my timing and angling is a bit off. Plus just getting used to the different controls (I’m using the Joy-cons and playing handheld on my OLED). That’ll all get better over my game time.

So naturally, the game speed and controls will always be a bit different. After a season or so, I got back to the point where I was on Hard just like on the app. Passing is fine, but running on the Switch version is absolutely impossible right now. The app version is currently on V1.4.98, and I mention this because the early versions of Retro Bowl from probably the first few months had a notoriously lovely running game, where even with a back nearly maxed out in speed and strength, with a good OC, you'd still struggle to get 4 YPC and running was largely useless. It wasn't fun and really only worth doing in short yardage situations.

The Switch version, rather than seemingly building entirely on the current or any recent app version from the last 18~ months, has that same problem. Even with an awesome back, I was still wasn't getting anything going on the ground. I'd rarely break runs over 10 yards, with the defense (And particularly, the linebackers) pouncing on every run incredibly quick, often getting my guy in the backfield. I played around with the running controls on the Switch version, but it just never really felt right like the app, where a good back on a stacked offense will easily get 5~ YPC and easily crack 1000+ rushing yards. My last full season on the Switch with a named back, who had maxed out speed and solid strength, saw him average 3.2 YPC and finish with less than 400 yards on the season. At a certain point, I just gave up running the ball. Similarly, like the early app versions, maxed on speed receivers are even more broken, because my top guy would finish the season with 3000+ receiving yards, and this is with two minute quarters.

fartknocker posted:

- Speaking of which, the bullet pass seems to work a lot better than the app version, but I half wonder if that’s the lower difficulty I’m still on. Players seem to actually catch it in stride here, although it’s still easy to get picked.

This was purely a difficulty thing and stopped working once you get into the teens of Dynamic difficulty, or go to Hard. Stick with the normal pass 99% of the time.

I do really like the controls of the Switch version, with the left stick being for directional running and the right stick being for jukes and dives, but right now that feels kinda lackluster because the running game is poop, so there's not a real reason to use them most of the time.

Again, it's still a fun game on the Switch, but definitely has its quirks and isn't quite as polished as the app version.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I feel like the opposite. Sure, I can pass almost every time for major yardage, but if the defense has two high safeties, I can run for 3-5 yards with a two star back while utilizing the juke stick on the switch. I also found that I can check down to the running back almost every passing play for 10 yards or more. I'm playing on dynamic difficulty, so maybe that is it? Seems like the game is way too easy when you have 1 or 2 receivers at full speed. Perhaps I should be using a different difficulty setting, but at the moment it's too easy to score every drive.

Kickoffs though jeez...I can juke every player but the dude moves so drat slow it seems impossible to return one for a touchdown, even if I can get the blocks

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Kinda takes the fun out of it when your receiver can get free on every post or go route. It makes for a certain td everytime

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

grill youre saelf posted:

I feel like the opposite. Sure, I can pass almost every time for major yardage, but if the defense has two high safeties, I can run for 3-5 yards with a two star back while utilizing the juke stick on the switch. I also found that I can check down to the running back almost every passing play for 10 yards or more. I'm playing on dynamic difficulty, so maybe that is it? Seems like the game is way too easy when you have 1 or 2 receivers at full speed. Perhaps I should be using a different difficulty setting, but at the moment it's too easy to score every drive.

Kickoffs though jeez...I can juke every player but the dude moves so drat slow it seems impossible to return one for a touchdown, even if I can get the blocks

Check downs to the running back being an easy 6-10 yards every play has been a consistent part of Retro Bowl since it was first released. In the early days of the app version, it was even more overpowered since tipped passes would be caught like 90% of the time, so your running back would be the leading receiver with 100+ catches easily.

Star receivers, even without elite speed, are still highly effective. Guys with speed that's barely halfway up the meter can still go deep consistently to beat defenders. Heck, you can even do it with no name receivers, but in that case you need a very good o-line to hold up long enough for them to get downfield.

In the app version I got to the point Hard mode got too easy, while I dislike Extreme cause it made every opponent feel the same, so I started experimenting with different roster constructions, using the 10-player limit and not expanding the salary cap much if at all. You can load up on defensive players and have an offense of just a 5-star running back and any halfway decent TE and still easily score 4~ TDs and win by double digits pretty consistently. Even without any speed, you can almost always throw back shoulder passes to receivers for 8-10 per play, and the comeback routes always work. Having just two good non-linemen on offense, paired with a non-terrible coordinator, and you'll always be able to move the ball in some way. That said, doing stuff like that leads to kinda grindy games, and I prefer getting some receivers and letting most games turn into shootouts.

Right now, I don't think that's the case in the Switch version. Even straight up dive plays that would get 4-5 yards on the app are still getting blown up at the line on Switch, while outside stuff isn't much better. It's definitely been a lot more difficult to get the big explosive runs like I saw on the app, particularly once the Dynamic difficulty ramped up to higher levels (By the end of my first full season, the running game had already mostly dropped off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've run back two kickoffs for a TD so far in a lot of playtime but i play on normal because i like to feel good. by the time your guy reaches the opposing 30 he is at walking speed. you really need everything to go right with the blocks and you can't really influence it beyond 1 or 2 guys at first and then 1 or 2 more guys with your first juke. if you end up juking or cutting or whatever more than twice you're gonna be too slow

plus there wasn't a little achievement pop-up when it happened so that was the worst thing that ever happened to me. i'm sorry for speaking while playing on normal where you win every game 63-24 or 84-7

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 4, 2022