Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I was a late arrival to the Madden party (I think the first one I ever played was 15 or 16 - hard to say because they all kind of blur together), and the comment about them being mostly a roster update these days is pretty much dead-on.

As someone who exclusively plays the offline franchise mode, the Madden series has been in a real slump the past few years. New features aren't added anymore, and some that used to be in the game were actively removed. The studio's focus shifted to the Ultimate Team card game, and more recently to a pseudo-Story Mode called Face of the Franchise which doesn't quite work. This past year the whole thing kind of came to a head when EA released their "new franchise features" for Madden 21 and it read like patch notes for Madden 20. The result was an online revolt, spurred on by both fans and professional Madden content creators demanding that EA devote more resources to beefing up what everyone admits is the most popular game mode. EA was forced to respond, but despite patching in some minor updates they mostly kicked the can down the road and promised that Madden 22 would be the start of a renaissance for franchise mode. We'll see.

All that being said, I did still ultimately purchase Madden 21, but I take pride in the fact that this year I had the moral strength to wait until it was only like $20. Progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU