Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Something I wonder about the British numbers is what about new infections? We all know the reason our governments prioritised old people for vaccines after telling us all year that they were just going to die anyway is just to get the death count down. Have new cases also been drastically reduced or is it like here and we're just trying to stop people dying to get rid of the bad press?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

greazeball posted:

I feel like someone upthread: when the numbers of new cases per day is finally at something lower than loving crazy number like it is now, then I'll start thinking about doing some indoor or crowded stuff. In about 6 weeks, after my second dose settles in, I'll feel a lot better about going shopping, taking the train and stuff like that. The guilty pleasure I don't know when we'll be able to do again is going to the sauna/baths. I love a day relaxing in saunas and whirlpools and chilling in the sun or shade. It'll be a while before I look at a steam bath with anything but horror.

mine's bars and pinball tournaments and i'm still a long way out from either of those. maybe july, more likely halloween/thanksgiving. i just don't want to do it if i have to wear a mask

i texted one of the people that runs a pinball room here and told them i'd drop soooo much coin if they had a vaccine passport night. i was serious. she just loled

oh also public pools...nah. just nah

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

greazeball posted:

Something I wonder about the British numbers is what about new infections? We all know the reason our governments prioritised old people for vaccines after telling us all year that they were just going to die anyway is just to get the death count down. Have new cases also been drastically reduced or is it like here and we're just trying to stop people dying to get rid of the bad press?

We’ve gone from 60k at Christmas to 2k/day.

But it almost seems too good to be true compared to other countries graphs idk it’s absolutely fuxkin amazing. The scientists who developed the vaccines should be given anything they want.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

But it almost seems too good to be true compared to other countries graphs idk it’s absolutely fuxkin amazing. The scientists who developed the vaccines should be given anything they want.

Absolutely 100% agree with that last bit. The only person who will deserve a bigger reward is the one who figures out how to get more than 60%of people to take it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just got my second Moderna as of like an hour and a half ago.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to do something with a woman I met in March... Of last year...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

greazeball posted:

Absolutely 100% agree with that last bit. The only person who will deserve a bigger reward is the one who figures out how to get more than 60%of people to take it.

See in the U.K. our vaccination numbers are radically different to the U.S under the surface.

We have gone by age group, with additional people like the vulnerable and carers. So it’s 51% of the entire population who have had one shot but ALL of them are over 40 years old, or high risk of catching or spreading to high risk, and there is very little vaccine hesitation.

It was a huge gamble going for AZ and 11 weeks apart but it’s paid off, and it wouldn’t have worked if it wasn’t AZ because the vaccination centres that were set up at the start didn’t have any fancy equipment - it’s pubs/concert arenas/theatres/town halls, and each person gets shown to a chair, a old person who has no sympathy and will stab you if you try to escape, holding a syringe, and a fridge.

When the enquiry happens Dr Chris Whitty, our Dr Fauci, deserves a knighthood and a parade, which he won’t get, because this god drat hero has been perfectly happy to take all the flack and ire from angry boomers if it means getting it done.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm debating whether i should get an antibody test or not. It's been 2 weeks since my second moderna dose. Between having no side effects from the shot and that recent survey of patients on certain immunosuppressants (i take one of those) not having detectable antibodies, i'm worried that i didn't respond to the vaccine.

The CDC says they do not recommend the antibody test for patients with weakened immune systems, as it may not give a reliable assessment. And i don't wanna get charged for a test that might give me a false negative.

On the other hand, that survey only checked patients who received their first dose and not their second. So i really should wait for the follow up to that study before worrying about it. Plus i'm not an organ recipient like the people surveyed in that study; i am treating a chronic illness. Not sure if that will affect things.

I don't regret getting the vaccine at all. I just want reassurance that i have even a little bit of protection with the vaccine as an immunocompromised person.

I'm in the same boat as you and feeling similarly about just how vaccinated I might really be. I got my shots just before I saw a paper where some rheumatologists were suggesting postponing your regular drug regimen if possible and safe to do so for the week after getting vaccinated and now there's that tiny kernel in my brain wondering if I've goofed it up for myself :ohdear: .

I know antibodies aren't the be-all end-all to the immune system and that we just don't have the data to make a concrete claim or recommendation, but it still makes me feel a little antsy, y'know :v: .

Thank god vaccine uptake is good in my area, but I can't imagine I'm ever going to want to eat in a restaurant again, lol.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

learnincurve posted:

When the enquiry happens Dr Chris Whitty, our Dr Fauci, deserves a knighthood and a parade, which he won’t get, because this god drat hero has been perfectly happy to take all the flack and ire from angry boomers if it means getting it done.

even when i hear the chuds grumbling about him at the barber or at the bagel place or whatever, they're talking about how lovely it must be to have Fauci's job and im inclined to agree

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whitty was the guy who decided to vaccinate the second time after 11 weeks, it was in part a gamble but based off his knowledge and research. They think he saved 68,000 lives so far.

The guy even spends Christmas/New Year/Easter/Bank Holidays doing his regular doctor thing on the covid wards so someone else can take the holidays off.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I got poo poo to say about this. I avoid Covid talk with my family because the situation for them (in the US) is complex and ... for lack of a better term, "consumery". Like, the vaccine is basically first come first served there, so they talk to me like it is here. In the UK where I live, as already explained in this thread, there is no action I can take really to get a vaccine quicker. I'm not old enough to get it yet. People get contacted by their doctors or whatever? I don't even know, but at the very least I don't just call the right phone number for people in the know and get an appointment before some oldie who's more vulnerable. They seriously don't get it and ask me all the time when I'm going to get a vaccine. The NHS has gone about this the right way and that means that I'll get it when I get it. They're just so used to the "smarter" or richer people getting what they want first they can't imagine a system that actually phased eligibility in a scientifically and humanistically justified way.

Second, has anyone seen any actual press about people for whom the vaccine doesn't work? I have an immunocompromised mother who got both shots and tested negative for antibodies. Obviously those antibody tests aren't great, but that's put a pretty big damper on her chances of ever feeling like she can normalize her life. I just want people to know that the vaccine is part of making a world safe enough for people like her for whom it may have had little benefit.

Thirdly, has anybody been reading up on Cuban vaccine efforts? With the whole straight up evil situation with American companies clinging to vaccine patents that have already paid for themselves, and even the 97% publically funded AZ vaccine seeming to be totally privatized money-wise, I think India and much of the non-rich world might end up depending on one of these:
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/latamcaribbean/2021/03/31/cubas-five-covid-19-vaccines-the-full-story-on-soberana-01-02-plus-abdala-and-mambisa/
Remember in like 2017-2018 when stories came out that Cuba had developed a vaccine for lung cancer? They've used their expertise in that particular vaccine format to create a unique "conjugate" Covid one that uses the same tetanus toxoid to increase immune response. They're also collaborating with China (as in, they provide the expertise, China provides "resources") on a "pan-covid" vaccine targeting bits of the virus' genetic material that are most stable and least likely to mutate. Meaning a vaccine that can target all variants.

I am not a scientist so don't understand the details but this all sounds cool. I don't know how Cuba would plan to distribute it but they're already Phase III trialing it in Iran, Venezuela, Pakistan and so on. I expect they'd want to make some money off it given they are an extremely poor country shut out of their biggest export market, but it might be a ray of hope for freedom-of-vaccine hopes to slow down the hellish stuff happening in India if the trails are successful. I doubt they'd, like Pfizer, demand countries offer up sovereign assets like military bases for collateral against potential vaccine lawsuit damages or whatever.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I talked to a old lady today and we didn't wear masks or be weird because we're both vaxxed and were outside.

It was nice to make a new friend.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm going to the gym today to work out for the first time in a year+. It's just the tiny gym at my apartment complex, and it'll just be me and my girlfriend and we'll probably wipe down the stuff we use first. Still, pretty pumped.

The pool is open now too which is good since it's getting hot as dick

boar guy posted:

are buffets allowed to operate rn? they aren't where i live

Vegas just reopened self-serve buffets and it probably has more of those than anywhere else. I don't see myself using one of those for a long time though if ever.

My work is having a big conference relatively soon and I'm kinda worried since people will be coming from all over abs there are pretty much guaranteed to be some anti - vaxxers and anti - mask chuds there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

yeah, some things i probably won't ever do again include eating at a buffet and sitting shoulder to shoulder in a packed movie theater for a summer tentpole release. i think the only way you're ever getting me back in a movie theater is taking me to the bougie recliner-based one that only seats like 80

I can't wait for buffets and theatres personally.

Of course I usually only go to the "bougie" recliners one that costs the exact same amount as the old busted seats lovely one across town. When I want to feel fancy I spring for the DOLBY one. The seats are actually a little worse, but you can't argue with the picture and sound quality. Great for bright colorful things like Pixar movies and Marvel poo poo

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I can't wait for buffets and theatres personally.

Of course I usually only go to the "bougie" recliners one that costs the exact same amount as the old busted seats lovely one across town. When I want to feel fancy I spring for the DOLBY one. The seats are actually a little worse, but you can't argue with the picture and sound quality. Great for bright colorful things like Pixar movies and Marvel poo poo

oh by the bougie one i mean the one with tasteful low lighting and sick recliners and reserved seating and wait service and $14 vodka tonics

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Second, has anyone seen any actual press about people for whom the vaccine doesn't work? I have an immunocompromised mother who got both shots and tested negative for antibodies. Obviously those antibody tests aren't great, but that's put a pretty big damper on her chances of ever feeling like she can normalize her life. I just want people to know that the vaccine is part of making a world safe enough for people like her for whom it may have had little benefit.

I work with immunocompromised kiddies (till end of July then I’m moving to adults care as my charge is Y14) and the anacdotal stuff we are hearing is that they are going to carry on as is and are well ahead of schedule to get all 17 year olds and above vaccinated before September 1st.

They are going to make the call to decide if kids will get vaccinated in August, and the pencilled in plan is to then split the vaccination centres off for boosters and do the kids in school.

You mum should be watching the new case numbers and new case numbers only, when we hit true herd immunity they won’t be hovering around the plateau they are at now but there will be a sharp drop to under 50 new cases a day (predicted airport positives). Your mother may then put mr boombastic by shaggy on as loud as possible and dance like she just don’t care.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Good friend of mine just went into the hospital for covid and associated complications from it.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Vaccinated people will stop testing, so the positivity rate will not be reflective of the virus circulation. This will make it harder to track the spread of variants.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

compshateme85 posted:

Vaccinated people will stop testing, so the positivity rate will not be reflective of the virus circulation. This will make it harder to track the spread of variants.

No they probably won’t.

At this point if someone comes down with COVID symptoms vaccinated or not they will most likely get tested.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Getting my single J&J vaccine in about an hour. :toot:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PathAsc posted:

Good friend of mine just went into the hospital for covid and associated complications from it.

Hopefully they heal up fast and they're out soon :smith:

MarcusSA posted:

No they probably won’t.

At this point if someone comes down with COVID symptoms vaccinated or not they will most likely get tested.

in some areas

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I talked to a old lady today and we didn't wear masks or be weird because we're both vaxxed and were outside.

It was nice to make a new friend.

You are history’s greatest monster :reject:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. is doing a staggering amount of testing, don’t get me wrong we well deserved the title plague island but when the politicians sod off and let the doctors decide what’s safe and let NHS do it’s job, they are something special. No we are not catching every case but the testing we are doing is a good indicator.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

MarcusSA posted:

No they probably won’t.

Tracking asymptomatic spread will probably be harder, assuming that there is any significant amount of asymptomatic spread among the vaccinated. I kinda doubt it, though, given what the studies have shown.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We are testing the school kids. I would imagine if you suggested that in America a 1000 protect the children groups would murder you to death for it though.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

compshateme85 posted:

Aussie here. My state currently has a community transmission case and all close contacts have to isolate regardless of vaccination status. Casual contacts have to get tested regardless of vaccination status if they develop symptoms.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

this thing is never going away, it's just going to become seasonal

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

Getting my single J&J vaccine in about an hour. :toot:

All done, my 5g fully takes hold in 4 weeks :toot::toot::toot:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this thing is never going away, it's just going to become seasonal

Yeh everyone’s going to get a booster along with the flu shot, and masks on public transport is never going away.

One thing we learned is that people in the U.K. are filthy buggers, and if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Wasn't the UK also in lockdown for like four months from New Year's?

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'm scheduled for my second moderna shot tomorrow morning and my roommates that same afternoon. I'm getting Moderna and he's getting Pfizer, should he interesting to see how our 2nd dose effects compare. Neither of us had any issues with the first shot.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

freebooter posted:

Wasn't the UK also in lockdown for like four months from New Year's?

Yeah. We came out of it mostly a few weeks back. Everyone was still going to work though. Schools were back etc. So it still seems very very promising that the vaccine is working amazingly.

We’ve all but stopped international travel too. Need tests and have to pay £1750 to stay in a quarantine hotel for 10 days.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Aardvark, can we get the previous thread archived or goldmined or something? It will be a useful contemporaneous primary source in the future and it's filled with a ton of things worth preserving. I myself have used the SA corona threads every day for information as well as for research purposes as I'm writing a history of this pandemic

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I second that, the thread is too useful as a timeline of how things progressed to let it die away.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I have moved it to The Goldmine, which was made for just such occasions.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

I have moved it to The Goldmine, which was made for just such occasions.

Thank you!!! It's greatly appreciated. Would you be willing to drop a note to the D&D mods requesting they do the same when their thread runs out?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

learnincurve posted:

Yeh everyone’s going to get a booster along with the flu shot, and masks on public transport is never going away.

One thing we learned is that people in the U.K. are filthy buggers, and if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.

Today was my first day at the gym after like 2 years. Everyone was washing and spraying their stations and weights, keeping distance because each workout station is now a box etc.

I remembered how gross gyms were beforetimes and like "now it wasn't that hard to clean up benches, was it?". I know it will fade away soon (?) but it felt better to see everyone dutifully cleaning everything before and after they use them.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Galewolf posted:

I remembered how gross gyms were beforetimes and like "now it wasn't that hard to clean up benches, was it?". I know it will fade away soon (?) but it felt better to see everyone dutifully cleaning everything before and after they use them.

Where I work they provided us with 70% IPA and disposable wipes to clean our shared workstations with in the first time I did it I pulled a horrible yellow film off of everything. People give me and some of the others grief for being a germaphobe but what they don't understand is our work area is the cleanest it's ever been because they actually are giving us stuff to clean it with for once. We do a lot of electrical soldering work and we consistently pass our lead contamination tests now thanks to this.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah. We came out of it mostly a few weeks back. Everyone was still going to work though. Schools were back etc. So it still seems very very promising that the vaccine is working amazingly.

We’ve all but stopped international travel too. Need tests and have to pay £1750 to stay in a quarantine hotel for 10 days.

Yeah, if comparing directly to the US (which has more or less the same percentage of adults fully vaxxed) I'd say the lockdown, even if most people were still at the office etc, would be what accounts for that huge difference. I know it differs from region to region but my impression of the US is that there's been basically no restrictions at all across huge swathes of the nation.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Got my second Pfizer shot next friday, looking forward to some crazy rear end fever dreams, anything to escape the monotony at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Immunocomprobud here. Do the antibody test if it'll help you feel better. You should be okay to go, but caution is always a great thing.

It can also make you feel worse if it says no antibodies even though those are just one part of your immune response. An antibody test isn’t going to detect T and B cells for it, which are very important.