Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The vaccine doesn't stop you from getting or spreading COVID, it improves your chances of staying out of the hospital if you do get infected. Therefore an unvaccinated person doesn't really pose a higher risk for spreading the disease to others so much as they're at higher risk of getting very sick from others spreading the virus to them.

My dad had home care nurses come to help him and one of them told us she was unvaccinated. She explained that she was never a COVID denier and absolutely doesn't want to spread it to the elderly patients she sees, so she tests herself for it every morning and wears a mask. My mom and I thought it was odd that a healthcare professional would be vaccine skeptical, but since she was taking reasonable precautions to not spread the virus we didn't feel we had to demand a different nurse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I'm pretty sure that Dick Trauma's original point was that his dad is one of the vanishingly small percentage of people who are still sero-naive and is therefore at a higher risk of severe covid.

SamDabbers posted:

My dad had home care nurses come to help him and one of them told us she was unvaccinated. She explained that she was never a COVID denier and absolutely doesn't want to spread it to the elderly patients she sees, so she tests herself for it every morning and wears a mask. My mom and I thought it was odd that a healthcare professional would be vaccine skeptical, but since she was taking reasonable precautions to not spread the virus we didn't feel we had to demand a different nurse.

My next door neighbour is a nurse and she was somewhat skeptical about the vaccines as well, but buckled pretty quickly because she wanted to keep her job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My mom was scared of pretty much everything, and my father has had many allergic reactions to medications so she was unwilling to let either of them get vaccinated for anything. I did my best to change her mind, especially once COVID arrived but her fear was too great. At the least they both wore masks when they left the house (which was rare) and when I visit him I wear a mask. I don't know if he'll ever be willing to get vaccinated but at least he understands the importance of being masked when he's around people.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

My mom was scared of pretty much everything, and my father has had many allergic reactions to medications so she was unwilling to let either of them get vaccinated for anything. I did my best to change her mind, especially once COVID arrived but her fear was too great. At the least they both wore masks when they left the house (which was rare) and when I visit him I wear a mask. I don't know if he'll ever be willing to get vaccinated but at least he understands the importance of being masked when he's around people.

My mom was scared of a lot too, including much-needed non-covid-related medical care, which is why I also lost her a couple years ago. My dad is close to your dad's age, but slightly younger. We're 4 years into this, if it's not over now it will never be "over", at least not within your dad's or my dad's lifetime. I can't imagine convincing my father, who only has a few years left if he's lucky, to live a life of such seclusion and solitude that somebody dropping a plate of food off at his house could be described as:

Dick Trauma posted:

My dad said that this was the first good day he's had since my mom died. :unsmith:

I remember the depression and loneliness I went through in 2020 and beyond. Any issues I already had just accelerated through a miserable downhill spiral that I'm still not over. That was a very real human cost for a huge number of people, that most on the left completely ignored or even mocked, and continue to do so. And I at least had internet friends as somewhat of a social outlet to keep me borderline sane. I can't imagine what 4 years of almost constant solitude is like for an octogenarian who most likely doesn't use any form of social media or even texting. Staring at a wall or the TV all day every day, hoping for a phone call or some other way to break the monotony, finally getting an invitation to dinner with friends, and being guilted into declining it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you’re unvaccinated you should warn your friends because no one wants to be responsible for you dying

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My father is completely isolated, partially by choice and partially by the choices my mother made. I hope that he's coming out of his shell and will at least spend more time chatting with folks in his driveway and on his walks around the neighborhood. If he's outdoor and masked I think his risk is low, and even if it isn't there's probably a significant benefit to him interacting with people instead of remaining secluded and stir crazy.

It's far from ideal but there are limits to my ability to manage his risk.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

At 86 literally everything is a risk.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i have a moral obligation to inform you i’m loling at the last page of posts

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Couldn't dad ask the neighbours/whoever else to take a covid test on the day of the dinner (or even that day and the day before etc) and then go over if they all test negative? Pick a nice day and eat outside?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Battle Pigeon posted:

Couldn't dad ask the neighbours/whoever else to take a covid test on the day of the dinner (or even that day and the day before etc) and then go over if they all test negative? Pick a nice day and eat outside?

If relying on people to properly administer and report self-tests worked, we wouldn’t see outbreaks at, for example, CDC conferences and major political fundraising events. If I were that old or that vulnerable, I sure as hell wouldn’t risk my life on someone else’s say-so, especially since most people don’t think it’s any big deal. “Oh yeah there was a line, but it was so faint and I feel just fine!”

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I was thinking asking them/doing it in person, while dad wears a mask and hangs out chatting as they wait for results, or something like that. Administering it properly is a crapshoot though yeah

I've also seen immunocompromised people using little portable air monitors to test air flow and co2 (I think)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that’s definitely a thing people are gonna do

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we all self tested at my windows 11 launch party, it was one of the pre-planned party activities

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

we all self tested at my windows 11 launch party, it was one of the pre-planned party activities

Windows 11 released in October of 2021, dude.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

i have a moral obligation to inform you i’m loling at the last page of posts

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Like I'm not gonna go find a picture of the guy in the space helmet going to Costco and being mocked, but like.. let your 86 year old dad loving live Jesus Christ.

Telling him he's unsafe to leave the house, needs to mask to walk around the neighborhood or talk to neighbors from the driveway...

The other forum is definitely leaking again.

Enjoy the last few years of life or go to weird levels to avoid COVID and be depressed and lonely... Hard to pick.

Did we ever get a response as to why he wasn't vaccinated? Was I due to immunocompromisation because I get that but then I would think his friends would be willing to test.

The plate of food making him happy at 86 is so sad to me.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 18, 2024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
covid is done people dont care, hell even this thread is done since this is the first time in weeks i seen it float up to the first page.

also is getting the shot every six months the new meta?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I get a vax whenever it's available, I wore masks for years and still do it if I'm going to be in a theatre or something during a spike.. or if I'm not feeling well, have a cough or sniffles.

But come on. At some point you need to let your ancient dad live the remainder of his life as a human instead of locking him in a bubble and waiting for the depression to take him.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 18, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wendigee posted:

But come on. At some point you need to let your ancient dad live the remainder of his life as a human instead of locking him in a bubble and waiting for the depression to take him.

If I make it to 86 I’m gonna yolo it like nobody’s business.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

If I make it to 86 I’m gonna yolo it like nobody’s business.

I mean.. yes.

My mom is 76, fully vaccinated, but even she is old:ssh:. She got COVID on a bus to some sports event and agreed to not do that again. But she needs to get outside the house and spend time with friends. This is humanity 101.

She would have been miserable since my dad died 7 years ago if she didn't keep up with her friends and go to watch sports.

Most people want to spend time with friends and family and it's worth the chance to live instead of masking up and speaking through a Darth Vader mask.

Most older people can't just play video games and poo poo post all day and be happy.

We are all going to die... You're going to play this statement how I've seen it on other threads about this. Life isn't a video game about min-maxxing.

Some people actually do need to interact with humans to thrive. I'm not one of them but I have a hard time judging people who got vaccinated, or who couldn't for some real reason, for going out and live if they don't have symptoms.

Especially if it's neighbors across the street. It's 2 other people.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think it's weird the amount of effort you're putting into being an rear end in a top hat about this. Pretty much everything you're assuming about my father and this situation is wrong. Everything. But I don't think that's going to stop you from pooping out more posts about how amused you are by his grief and suffering. and the creepy fantasy you've cooked up about him.

I don't know why I bothered.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh we know why alright.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My elderly father swears he was always masking carefully during the heights of the pandemic but I know he was just wearing crappy surgical masks and he was still visiting lots of friends and taking the mask off inside their houses. I also know he wouldn't have listened to me if I'd said anything so I just let it slide. :shrug:
He got sick a bunch of times over the last few years but always refused to take a covid test but he's still 100% certain he's never had covid, there's nothing I can do about that either. :shrug: :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah but that’s no big deal because Australia handled the pandemic so well.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Dick Trauma posted:

I think it's weird the amount of effort you're putting into being an rear end in a top hat about this. Pretty much everything you're assuming about my father and this situation is wrong. Everything. But I don't think that's going to stop you from pooping out more posts about how amused you are by his grief and suffering. and the creepy fantasy you've cooked up about him.

dont worry, it's like how any video of a cat will have someone screaming "abuse!" regardless of content. im glad your dad had a good day

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo or troll.

You said your dad was the happiest he's been since your mom died because he got a doggy bag from the neighbor's he didn't go eat dinner with because they may have covid.

I got no bone in this fight I just think that's sad.

I'll leave the thread, do you.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wendigee posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo or troll.

You said your dad was the happiest he's been since your mom died because he got a doggy bag from the neighbor's he didn't go eat dinner with because they may have covid.

I got no bone in this fight I just think that's sad.

I'll leave the thread, do you.
:yarg:

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Putting aside the issues of your fathers' age, social situation, long term health concerns & the real risk of what a Covid infection could do to his health, here's some small practical things that might be more beneficial for your father & more reasonable for him to follow, if he does occasionally get some brief company. Maybe once a month meet up outdoors for a quick coffee with a very small group of friends, whilst also doing the following:

- Wear a N95 mask on public transport, supermarkets, shopping centres etc.
- Have coffee/food in a well ventilated area, either outdoors or in a home with windows & doors open, and near their corsi filter/air purifier if they have one.
- Try not to be around tons of people unless you really have to: keep coffee/lunches very smallish in scope.
- Use an over the counter iota carrageenan nasal spray, like this example, both before & after going out in public. If you can't get a hold of any iota carrageenan spray whatsoever for some reason, then an OTC saline nasal spray to rinse your sinuses regularly like this is also an option.
- The newer evidence on this is a bit "ehhhhh" AFAIK, but a mouthwash containing Cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC) apparently does have some effect on Covid, plus also for other dental conditions: poor dental health has a major impact on overall health. Supermarkets & chemists sell it, several alcohol free mouthwashes (but not all) have it. Example.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My elderly grandfather once did something that made him happy so I told him to never, under any circumstance, do anything like that again

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

My parents, my choice to sequester them away until they die lonely.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
In other news, in the "it's about time" category,

quote:

After COVID, WHO defines disease spread 'through air'

LONDON, April 18 (Reuters) - The World Health Organization and around 500 experts have agreed for the first time what it means for a disease to spread through the air, in a bid to avoid the confusion early in the COVID-19 pandemic that some scientists have said cost lives.
The Geneva-based U.N. health agency released a technical document on the topic on Thursday. It said it was the first step towards working out how to better prevent this kind of transmission, both for existing diseases like measles and for future pandemic threats.
The document concludes that the descriptor "through the air" can be used for infectious diseases where the main type of transmission involves the pathogen travelling through the air or being suspended in the air, in line with other terms such as "waterborne" diseases, which are understood across disciplines and by the public.
Agencies have historically required high levels of proof before calling diseases airborne, which required very stringent containment measures; the new definition says the risk of exposure and severity of disease should also be considered.
Past disagreements also centred around whether infectious particles were "droplets" or "aerosols" based on size, which the new definition moves away from.
During the early days of COVID in 2020, around 200 aerosol scientists publicly complained that the WHO had failed to warn people of the risk that the virus could spread through the air. This led to an overemphasis on measures like handwashing to stop the virus, rather than focusing on ventilation, they said.

The myopic focus on handwashing over ventilation was easily one of the most easily avoidable mistakes made early in the pandemic and was entirely due to the WHO being up its rear end about its definition of airborne transmission.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

you should still also wash your hands. this doesn't mean you get to not wash your hands

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Handwashing is a good idea for lots of non-covid pathogens. Also soap and water whenever possible, not just Purell or whatever, because some of the most contagious pathogens around (like norovirus) are impervious to hand sanitizer.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

My dad said that this was the first good day he's had since my mom died. :unsmith:

telling my elderly father, adult bubble boy, that although he cannot see them the neighbors wish him well and seeing his face crack under the strain of the first smile i've allowed him in decades

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a dress rehearsal for taking grandpa’s driver’s license.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i had to organize a heist to steal all grandpas guns and mysteriously "loose" the key to his gun safe.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
End the dogpile please

I understand where you all are coming from but

I read the cancer thread and Dick Trauma has been going through a horrific time for months

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Move on from this

It serves nobody to dogpile an 86 year old you don't know because he's unvaccinated. He makes his own choices. Dude gave a story. You can choose to like or dislike it I don't give a poo poo but this derail should end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

Handwashing is a good idea for lots of non-covid pathogens. Also soap and water whenever possible, not just Purell or whatever, because some of the most contagious pathogens around (like norovirus) are impervious to hand sanitizer.

Yeah the handwashing craze was mostly useless in terms of addressing an airborne respiratory disease but it gave businesses the opportunity make it look like they were taking steps towards protecting their customers by putting hand sanitizer dispensers at every entrance so they went all in on it. Transmission via fomites is definitely a possibility but it would only have accounted for only a tiny tiny percentage of cases during the entire pandemic, the amount of resources and energy spent on promoting handwashing was massively disproportionate to the protection it afforded against covid, especially when actually effective measures (good masks, better air circulation in buildings) were constantly being downplayed.

..... but having said that I'm also in favour of people washing their hands way more often than they generally used to so even though I think it was mostly security theatre in terms of covid I'd prefer the handwashing to stick around.