Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Bronze Fonz posted:

When covid started spreading we were talking about it in the late pages of the chinathread, I wanna say maybe a week(s?) before a proper covid thread was started and around the same time that chinathread was closed for a new one.
Can't be assed right now to find whatever that chinathread was called but if you find it, in the last pages we're discussing it as it goes from rumors of an outbreak in Wuhan to "holy poo poo this thing would be everywhere by now". It would be quite a trip to read this stuff today.

I sometimes come across random shopping receipts from the first lockdown in my filing drawers and remember how thing loving spiraled so fast and my head spins just by thinking about it. Look and despair, ye mighty, at my 25 KG hand packed flour purchase I did from my local Turkish markets back entrance while wearing double masks and regular glove on top of surgical gloves.

I remember my ex-gf used to work in Canary Wharf and the first active case in the UK was in the Exxon (Shell?) building which was quite near to her so they evacced everyone in CW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I remember buying a 30 pack, taking it home, then throwing them all in the sink with soap like a beer jacuzzi.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I gave so many aubergines soapy baths in the last year.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

You'd think that it was an euphemism alas, literally gave aubergines / sparkling water bottles / pretty much everything a soapy baths. Only stopped doing that like a month ago but still carry the "Covid discipline" of carrying sanitizer, washing hands for 20 seconds, carrying spare masks etc.

Lmao, I just remembered the "20 second hand wash lyric templates".

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Brunch is back baby!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I never got the "just a flu" thing, because the flu loving sucks. If there was "a bad flu" going around I would totally avoid going to restaurants and wear a mask and poo poo. I remember in bad years hearing about other schools closing due to a flu epidemic in that town, wishing my school could close too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I never cleaned any groceries or anything like that. Really kept it pretty chill for the most part, just stayed far far away from people who weren't my girlfriend or my dog. Which haa proven to be the most important thing in avoiding covid.

Got furloughed for six months, which was frankly awesome, spent moyai of that time up in the mountains or at the beach. Being brought back to work was kind of a huge bummer if I'm being honest.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

My ex was on the "extremely vulnerable" list so we just went overboard with precautions. Irony is we got the roni in the super market the only day we couldn't get priority slots for her because gubmint 360noscoped the third lockdown announcement and we decided to go out for one big shopping so we can reduce the amount of time we need to do grocery runs.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
B.1.617 (the "Indian variant") has been detected in my area, and indoor activities are in full swing again. Restaurants are practically overflowing with people.

There's a high rate of vaccination and mask usage otherwise, but still...this will be interesting.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Zugzwang posted:

B.1.617 (the "Indian variant") has been detected in my area, and indoor activities are in full swing again. Restaurants are practically overflowing with people.

There's a high rate of vaccination and mask usage otherwise, but still...this will be interesting.

I've read that variant isn't as contagious as Kent, is this one a particular worry for some reason?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

- it's not airborne

For what it's worth, this is more about the definition of airborne. The average person would probably consider respiratory droplet transmission to be "airborne", but the traditional definition of airborne is for much smaller particles that can hang in the air for incredibly long periods of time or even travel effectively on wind. The r0 for diseases considered airborne by this definition is significantly higher than covid, basically always in the double digits. For example measles is considered a true airborne disease and r0 estimates for measles are as high as 18. There is a big difference between a disease that gets you sick because the guy in the office is coughing a few desks down from you and the one that gets you sick by walking through a hallway a sick person walked through hours ago. This is what a lot of the "it's not airborne" is about, nerds worried about diluting the definition of something.

It's also worth noting that this current pandemic is really showing how silly the cutoff between airborne and airborne droplet is. It's clear that even though covid isn't as effective as diseases like measles at spreading in the air, it's still better at it than the traditional definition of airborne droplet would suggest. Really seems like something that should be more of a spectrum and less of a "all particles over this size are droplet all under are airborne".

Guy Axlerod posted:

I never got the "just a flu" thing, because the flu loving sucks. If there was "a bad flu" going around I would totally avoid going to restaurants and wear a mask and poo poo. I remember in bad years hearing about other schools closing due to a flu epidemic in that town, wishing my school could close too.

A lot of people have never had a real flu or have only had it once or twice and think every cold they get is the flu.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

wilderthanmild posted:

A lot of people have never had a real flu or have only had it once or twice and think every cold they get is the flu.

I think this is the same reason why (at least locally for me) a whole lotta really dumb people were saying "I think I had Covid back in January of 2020!" Because they either had an actual flu or a really bad cold and desperately wanted to pretend that they were totally safe and good to go.

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think this is the same reason why (at least locally for me) a whole lotta really dumb people were saying "I think I had Covid back in January of 2020!" Because they either had an actual flu or a really bad cold and desperately wanted to pretend that they were totally safe and good to go.

I think a lot of people with even a mild cold convinced themselves they had it since the symptoms vary so much.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saw a lot of “I must’ve had it since I had a fever of 99F for a day and it was the sickest I’ve ever been” early last year

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I've read that variant isn't as contagious as Kent, is this one a particular worry for some reason?

There isn't a lot of hard evidence about the Indian variant right now. Essentially the worry is that the set of mutations it has may confer increased transmission, vaccine evasion, or more severe symptoms. However unlike P.1 or B.1.1.7 there isn't much real world evidence about B.1.617 yet, mostly just guesses based on the mutations it has.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, the actual flu made such an impression on me that I still remember the last one I had over 20 years ago. Laid out my entire family. We were bed-ridden for days. Even as a kid, between puking and sleeping, I only had enough energy to occasionally bring my dad and sister something to drink.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
I know this is anecdotal and it really doesn’t matter at this point, but an unusual proportion of people I know had covid-like symptoms in December 2019 - February 2020 including loss of taste and smell. The common thread was that we all lived in US coastal cities that were marked as initial covid outbreaks. I never assumed that I had it because I’m not a dumbass, but wouldn’t it make sense that the virus had an opportunity to circulate for a few weeks among working age, relatively healthy people, before triggering alarm bells once it reached more vulnerable populations?

I get that we don’t want to encourage people into thinking they are immune with no proof, but I don’t think there’s a bright line where everything was the flu and then everything was covid.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Is there any cause for concern with alcohol consumption post 2nd shot of the vaccine? SWIM is inquiring.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

azurite posted:

Yeah, the actual flu made such an impression on me that I still remember the last one I had over 20 years ago. Laid out my entire family. We were bed-ridden for days. Even as a kid, between puking and sleeping, I only had enough energy to occasionally bring my dad and sister something to drink.
"Stomach flu" isn't the flu. The real flu doesn't involve the digestive system. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/stomach-flu-not-influenza

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cobra Commander posted:

Is there any cause for concern with alcohol consumption post 2nd shot of the vaccine? SWIM is inquiring.

I went day drinking after my second shot but it still kicked my rear end hardcore lol.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

wilderthanmild posted:

There isn't a lot of hard evidence about the Indian variant right now. Essentially the worry is that the set of mutations it has may confer increased transmission, vaccine evasion, or more severe symptoms. However unlike P.1 or B.1.1.7 there isn't much real world evidence about B.1.617 yet, mostly just guesses based on the mutations it has.
Yeah, I keep seeing concerns about possible immune evasion from variants like B.1.617, but we don't really know yet.

Kent is dominant at the moment in many places due to its infectiousness, but at least the major vaccines seem to work very well against it. Dunno about B.1.617.

Do we know how P.1/B.1.351 do against the vaccines? I've seen mixed evidence about the latter, mostly lab studies that only look at antibodies and not T-cells, so I don't know how that translates to the real world.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Play posted:

Being brought back to work was kind of a huge bummer if I'm being honest.

I've been working from home since March '20 and they are starting to slowly phase us back into the office. I have an earlier return than most of my department. I'm so bummed about it because I finally got a handle on work and personal life and all it took was living without that commute eating hours away each day. It's clear at my workplace that families with kids are having the roughest go at this and are pushing the hardest to return. They should be the ones to go back since they hate actually having a family- not child-less goons like me, dammit. At least I've been fully vaccinated.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mush Mushi posted:

I know this is anecdotal and it really doesn’t matter at this point, but an unusual proportion of people I know had covid-like symptoms in December 2019 - February 2020 including loss of taste and smell. The common thread was that we all lived in US coastal cities that were marked as initial covid outbreaks. I never assumed that I had it because I’m not a dumbass, but wouldn’t it make sense that the virus had an opportunity to circulate for a few weeks among working age, relatively healthy people, before triggering alarm bells once it reached more vulnerable populations?

I get that we don’t want to encourage people into thinking they are immune with no proof, but I don’t think there’s a bright line where everything was the flu and then everything was covid.

I had recently moved at the start of 2020 and when walking my dog I overheard people talking about a really bad flu going around, then a couple of old folks homes got it and people just started dropping. It didn't help that many states were limited to 50 tests a day and the Utah jazz used up the local supplies after that one jackass made fun of Covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxtxIVtOZE

Got the game cancelled, then after testing he popped positive for the roni.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

I'm worried when we get back into the office as I'm pretty sure I've developed agoraphobia over the past year.

So that'll be real fun.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 6, 2021

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
1 year ago today:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'm worried when we get back into the office as I'm pretty sure I've developed agoraphobia over the past year.

So that'll be real fun.

that's going to be a problem for a lot of people. i know for a fact that people are all a little crazy right now; i had several parents come up to me after games I reffed and say stuff like 'sorry for yelling at you, i just haven't seen my kid play in so long' which on a personal level makes me go :psyduck: but on a practical level i suppose i understand

all sorts of incidents through the first 5 weeks of the year with people screaming at like 15 year old referees and stuff. many people just plain forgot how to act

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

So that'll be real fun.

They remodeled our office and placed us 6 computer janitors in a space that used to have about 25 project managers, walled us off with just a kind of service counter window for people to talk to us, then our boss had signs printed that say, as professionally as possible, "Did you call in a ticket? If not, gently caress off. Did we TELL you to come to us? No? Then gently caress off."

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The thing that pissed me off the most about the whole "just a flu" thing is I grew up with this guy who is a covid denier, he kept arguing that point on social media, even after his sister was put in an induced coma to save her life during H1N1.

When that was happening, I was highly prone to lung infections from colds, like 6 weeks sick, barely being able to breathe, sometimes would give me costochondritis. When she was hospitalized, her family and my family were harassing me that I had to come visit, it would be the last time I might see her, and I desperately tried to explain that I'm trying as hard as I can to avoid catching it too, because if I do, I'll end up just like her, or I'll straight up die. I refused to go hang out in the hospital with a confirmed case and sitting with all these people touching her, then themselves, then each other.

She survived and was woken up after about a week. I explained to her why I didn't come see her, and she totally understood. But the fact her brother just straight up ignored what happened so he could own some liberal sheep on Facebook just made me so angry.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do you guys have the same absurd street furniture and health and safety nightmare where security guards who have absolutely no loving clue what they were doing started barricading off entrances and walkways so they are split in two and locking emergency exits?

We are at the point where it’s clearly dangerous and have been for months, but it would mean Lardarse McWaddle packing it up and moving it all on his own and he’s too bone idle, so gently caress anyone in a wheelchair right?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

They remodeled our office and placed us 6 computer janitors in a space that used to have about 25 project managers, walled us off with just a kind of service counter window for people to talk to us, then our boss had signs printed that say, as professionally as possible, "Did you call in a ticket? If not, gently caress off. Did we TELL you to come to us? No? Then gently caress off."

Oh, I'm not worried about the virus, I'll be fully vacced in 2 weeks. My brain just apparently broke a few months ago for driving. :(

boar guy posted:

that's going to be a problem for a lot of people. i know for a fact that people are all a little crazy right now; i had several parents come up to me after games I reffed and say stuff like 'sorry for yelling at you, i just haven't seen my kid play in so long' which on a personal level makes me go :psyduck: but on a practical level i suppose i understand

all sorts of incidents through the first 5 weeks of the year with people screaming at like 15 year old referees and stuff. many people just plain forgot how to act

I can definitely see how people will be more quick to anger for the first few months this summer.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Please don't soap and bleach your vegetables. The guy who originally posted that video even edited that part out a few days later.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mush Mushi posted:

So, long story short, I very much doubt it was early covid-19. I know people here, in the middle of Illinois, who reported similar - so nothing to do with coasts at all.

US death rates didn't start spiking until March/April, and with how contagious we all know covid-19 is by now, and with how frequently it is fatal or leads to long-term effects, we would have seen the US total death curve sloping upwards before its rather sharp Spring 2020 spike.

It's way more likely anything that happened in the winter 2019-20 flu season was a variety of flu.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had the “honour” of being one of the reported cases on the news back when every new case was newsworthy. Some dickhead took their daughter Skiing in Italy and then the family fled back to the U.K. when there was a outbreak at the resort, the kid then sat next to my daughter in class. Her school thought it was just “the sickness bug” going round the class like wildfire, till a kid with lung issues landed in hospital and got tested.

I then caught it again 6 months later in a supermarket disabled toilet, and the Oxford people came and took my blood because re-infection wasn’t a known thing at that point.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i still wonder if andy gill was one of the earliest casualties, and i don't think i'm the only one

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

nishi koichi posted:

i still wonder if andy gill was one of the earliest casualties, and i don't think i'm the only one

Too bad it wasn't Andy Dick.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
These idiots flew in to Manchester Airport mid February and the kid and all the kids she infected travelled to Sheffield train and bus station at rush hour every day, then wandered round the town centre, went to the cinema, the football, and Meadowhall on the weekends for two weeks before it got picked up.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

These idiots flew in to Manchester Airport mid February and the kid and all the kids she infected travelled to Sheffield train and bus station at rush hour every day, then wandered round the town centre, went to the cinema, the football, and Meadowhall on the weekends for two weeks before it got picked up.

I think that particular group that went to Italy when it broke out in Milano was like a cluster bomb that made the initial spread fast. Goddamn, was there anywhere they DIDN'T go with the virus, holy hell.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://twitter.com/DevanSinha/status/1390388896433942544

So good news as long as you ignore the fact the UK still can't be arsed to do even the bare minimum quarantine and contact tracing.

Oh and the B.1.617 variants seem to outcompete even the wildly infectious b.1.117 'Kent" variant prominent in the UK.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 6, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
But that might mean a businessman or a politician might be inconvenienced after they get off a plane and they can’t have that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Imo the UK is going to see a massive june-july wave powered by the Indian and Kent variants amongst under 40's who won't have been vaccinated yet. Nobody will give a gently caress of course as potentially tens of thousands of people suffer long term harm from covid because of reopening too soon for the third time in a row