Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been taking all of covid extremely seriously and self-isolating strong as hell ever since I first heard that it was affecting smell and taste. That's a sign of a neurological condition. Like for example losing your sense of taste and smell can be a precursor to Parkinson's that starts showing a decade or more before other symptoms.

Also: This list of Parkinsons non-motor symptoms pretty closely mimics lots of reports I've heard of "long covid" symptoms overall lmao

I mean I'm not saying that covid infections are going to turn into parkinsons but I am not loving around with even the slightest risk of neurological conditions and I have been living like I'm in some kind of pandemic movie ever since Feb 2020. I've only left my home once a month to pick up prescriptions at the drive through pharmacy.

In fact here's a study on the olfactory effects of covid:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7449368/

which concludes:

quote:

Based on reviewing anosmia as a result of viral infection, specific mechanisms of anosmia can be postulated. Nasal congestion and obstruction similar to the common cold may contribute to a conductive olfactory loss. However, depending on the true distribution of ACE2, virulence potential, and resulting immune and inflammatory response, olfactory dysfunction may indicate a peripheral injury of the first cranial nerve and branches or a harbinger of a more global neurological manifestation of the disease. Long-term follow-up studies on patients with isolated sudden onset anosmia will be important because this symptom may indicate the onset of neuroinvasion that could result in chronic neurodegenerative disease. The rates of permanent anosmia post-COVID-19 infection and impact of viral treatment regimens should be assessed.

And yeah I am not fuckin' around with that. The most absurd part of 2021 now is that with Delta variant having an exponentially higher viral load there's also a higher chance of neuroinvasion, so wow way to fuckin' go republicans you're probably giving us all communicable brain diseases.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What do you do for a living if you don’t mind my asking? I’d love to bunker in like that but work is work.

I have a lovely work from home customer support job that sucks :sigh: I can't wait to quit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

The media, and people in general, are focusing on the wrong kind of unvaccinated people. Yes, there are the unreachables who think the vaccine is the mark of the beast, is THE GOVERNMENT’S AGENDA, or (lmao) take their health advice from Joe Rogan.

But there are also *a lot* of people who are unvaccinated because they’re low-income and literally can’t afford to take the time off of work to get a shot, much less to recover after the side effects of the second shot. The way to get these folks vaccinated is to provide monetary support and work with their employers to ensure they can get the time off they need.

Of course, given the state of things in the US, I don’t know how that’s possible :smith:

California mandated that all employers give their employees paid sick time off to get the vaccine and recover from it and really that should be national. I work for a california-based company so I made sure to line my shot dates up with the start of a work week :hellyeah:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lmao of course it's just people who want a participation medal for being alive and a plaque that says "This person is so badass that they haven't died yet"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DickParasite posted:

It's pretty obvious that when people ITT complain about anti-maskers or anti-vaxxers that they're complaining about the 25% of the country who believe Covid is a conspiracy. Yes capitalism puts up barriers to some people getting the vaccine. Yes a few people have legitimate reasons not to wear a mask. That's not who we're complaining about.

For real. From https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-july-2021/

Any time I'm talking about the unvaccinated, I'm talking about the 27% (as of July 2021) that said "definitely not" or "only if required" or "I'm not sure" - not the 3% who said they plan to get it as soon as it's feasible for them to do so.

If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine because of economic barriers then they deserve their place squarely in the 27% with everyone else who doesn't want the vaccine, they're just using the economic barriers as justification for their refusal. I don't feel like those 27% have a place at the dinner table with the real adults, barring the infinitesimally small number of them who said "definitely not" due to legitimate medical reasons.

This pre-covid study estimates that approximately 2.7% of US adults are immunocompromised or immunosuppressed: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2572798
So we're looking at around 24% at least (giving some wiggle room for non-immunosuppression reasons to avoid the vaccine such as allergies [study showing a ~0.001% allergic reaction rate to individuals given the pfizer shot]) of US adults who have no valid excuse for not wanting the vaccine.

More than 8 out of 10 US adults who are unvaccinated right now are loving idiots.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 8, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

This argument is flawed. Just over 60% of the country is white. Converse to your statement, most of the people who have been vaccinated are also white.

49% of white people have been vaccinated, while only 38% of Black people and 43% of Hispanic people have received a dose. What do you think prevents 62% of black people and 57% of Hispanic people from getting vaccinated?

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

I could probably give you a pretty good guess, but I think it would be easier to just link a CDC report on the impact of Social Vulnerability and vaccination. TL;DR; vulnerability related to Socioeconomic status or household composition(single parents, elderly, caring for disabled family member) are correlated with much lower vaccination rates.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7022e1.htm

By the way, that 62% of Black people and 57% of Hispanics add up to being nearly 19% of the overall population of the united States. Considering that 42% of the overall population is unvaccinated, that would make you just barely right about most of the unvaccinated being white, as 45% of them are Black or Hispanic. That's assuming that unvaccinated Asians don't account for 5% of the unvaccinated population.

Only 3% of US adults both (1) do not have a vaccine and (2) want a vaccine (https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-july-2021/)

This source shows that the three most likely demographics (minus age demograhics) to be unvaccinated as a percentage of their own population are (in order of most likely to least likely):
Republicans
Rural Residents
White Evangelical Christians

IMO the more realistic take is that (for all involved demographics, not just the minorities) the lack of access to education and time to educate themselves is ushering socioeconomically disadvantaged populations toward anti-vaccine rhetoric and cognitive dissonance takes hold, convincing them that the vaccine is unnecessary or even bad, allowing them to further buy into those conspiracy theories which is a major problem that needs to be addressed. But telling people not to make fun of "the unvaccinated" on the internet is not the way to address it.

I'll give credit to the 3% of American adults that are unvaccinated but say they would get vaccinated if they had the opportunity, and also to the 3% of American adults that cannot receive a vaccine because of prohibiting medical conditions (you can find my math and sources on this in my last post if you care), because those people are cool. At the end of the day, the remaining 24% of America who literally do not want a vaccine can cannot (b/c of covid) suck my dick, regardless of their other characteristics.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 9, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That is an incredibly disingenuous reading of the results listed on that page. They also say that 25% of unvaxxed adults plan to get jabbed by the end if the year and roughly 25% are hesitant ("wait and see"), and 50% are either "definitely not" or "only if required"

The 3% you're quoting are the unvaxxed adults who plan to get vaxxed immediately, which obviously wouldn't include people who want to get vaxxed but have access issues

This post is a more "disingenuous" reading than mine - the 25% of the unvaccinated population you are referring to here are:
the 3% of the total population that I already separated out
-and-
a remaining 4.5% of the total population which is not sure that they want the vaccine, but thinks they may either change their mind or be forced to by the end of the year. This is a group which is still currently against being vaccinated themselves - they have not decided that the vaccine is a good thing.

The 3% I referred to are explicitly not adults who plan to get vaccinated immediately - they are people who cannot get vaccinated immediately but plan to do so "as soon as they can" - e.g. something (like work or time) is holding them back.

If you read the article itself it spells all of this out pretty plainly :v:

And this post is just weird misdirection meant to antagonize me over perceived slights :shrug: But okay. If you want my response to your post you can re-read the post you quoted, which included my take on everything you've brought up here. This is a weird amount of work to go through to insinuate that I'm wrong about "making fun of the willfully unvaccinated" not being an inherently racist act.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 9, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You two are going through a weird amount of mental gymnastics to insinuate that I'm wrong about "making fun of the willfully unvaccinated" not being an inherently racist act :psyduck: It's fair that making fun of anyone is never nice but I'm not going to stop making fun of people who choose (note the inclusion of this word in every post of mine that you've read :v: ) not to be vaccinated when they have no prohibiting medical conditions and if you're reading racial bias into that, it says more about you than it does about me or reality. If the mix-up here is just about me reading "as soon as possible" as "as soon as possible" and you reading "as soon as possible" as "immediately" then I'm sorry for the semantic misunderstanding.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

FYI: the US government can, and has, forced people to get vaccinated via mandates and emergency powers so when blaming

1) folks who get their information from deregulated news and social media channels
2) working people who can’t afford to deal with effects of vaccines and time off from work
3) immigrants who are afraid the vaccines are some ICE raid
4) minorities who recall a history of the US injecting folks with syphilis

Please remember: The Biden admin and the US government could fix this vax situation with a door to door campaign + mandate and are actively choosing not to.

Please cast your blame accordingly.

I can get behind this 100% though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 9, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yes, use peroxide

Yeah let's just add peroxide to our drinking water, who needs enamel on their teeth or gut flora anyway

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently the latest trend in getting around vaxx mandates is to refuse the vaxx and just pretend you still work there???? "I haven't been fired, how dare you ask me to leave!"

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7003489711818067206

They should just let this person work for a few months with no pay (while making sure to never ever tell them what to do or make any implication that they work there) before they catch on, and when the person files with the state industrial committee for unpaid wages they will go to prison for falsifying unpaid wages claims

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Imagine being so brainwashed by the corporate machine that you are willing to continue working for your employer as a volunteer after they fire you

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My family has been great about all COVID protections until late June/early July, right around when Delta was starting to spread in the US, when they suddenly decided "okay it's over our vaccines make us immune". First they took the filters out of their masks and then later they stopped wearing masks altogether. My brother started going out to bars and restaurants 2-3 times a week. We all met up for dinner at my parents house and as we sat there maskless he was telling us about his week, about how he went to 2 different restaurants and a couple bars and how he feels fine not wearing a mask now because no one else is either. My parents are both in their 70s and in multiple risk categories each (heart surgery and stroke being the big ones) and I thought they would be upset by this but they didn't care.

So this week my brother took my dad to a college football game (unmasked, with the crowd blurred out in every photo I could find online), then went to a large concert packed into a small indoor venue the next night, and then today he took my parents to an indoor art show in an unventilated basement and they are are all very upset that I didn't want to go with them "now that it's completely safe"

It's really incredible to see how even people I would expect better out of are just choosing to ignore the science that they know is right and were acknowledging this summer because they're booooored :qq:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 5, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In the case of people like my family or vaccinated people who are "sick of it" I would be okay with it if they were treating it as a calculated risk, like "I know it's not perfectly safe but I weighed my options and I'm willing to take that risk in order to not stifle myself" and then were appropriately isolating and making sure anyone they were going to be around (e.g. visiting family) were informed and consented to the same risks.

But it's not that, they have convinced themselves that it's safe and now they want to convince everyone else too. And I am sure my family is not the only one to spring something like "Oh yeah I've been out at a bunch of public events where people yell a lot and don't wear masks but don't worry it's safe now" on their otherwise covid-avoiding family in the middle of a dinner where they're sitting 3 feet apart

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 5, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This whole coronavirus years has made me realize one truth. That the tragedy of stupidity is that more often than not other people pay the price for your ignorance for you. And the ignorant keep their heads in the sand all the while continuing to rage their incompetency at the world.

The only way to be that ignorant is to be so ignorant that you literally cannot conceptualize the idea of information existing that you don't already know and therefore cannot conceptualize the idea of being wrong. You have to be ignorant enough to legitimately believe that your level of knowledge is the pinnacle of what humanity has learned about a subject and so therefore anything that doesn't come from your mind is wrong.

Unfortunately we've been very good at giving these people a platform because if you insist that you're right for long enough, you will eventually find someone who is less ignorant than you are and therefore understands that they are not an expert, but still too ignorant to see through your bullshit - and once you have entrenched support, what can anyone do about it? My outlook on humanity is pretty hopeless after the last two years - "that ruined my faith in humanity" used to be a dumb internet catchphrase but now it really is ruined :smith:

Zugzwang posted:

If you could convince them to at least stick to activities where they can keep masking + wear good masks (eg N95s or KN95s from bonafidemasks.com), and stick to outdoor dining, they’d be much safer than they are now. Indoor crowded activities without masks are the most dangerous things they can do at this point, vaxxed or not.

I don't think I can convince them of anything and tbh my relationship with them is not good enough for me to exhaust myself trying. I have good masks for myself and only go out in public when necessary :shrug: I've told them (coming from a place of concern for their health and safety) how I feel and why I don't think they should be going out maskless in public (or even with a mask at their age/condition) but it just upset them because they don't like their children disagreeing with them. They probably will be fine, because of the vaccine and because monoclonal antibodies are overstocked and available for free to anyone their age, but there's no reason to leave the door to that possibility wide open!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 5, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

Long effort post warning, but just for some perspective your family has done way better than mine has. ...

Yeah, I am thankful that they took it seriously for as long as they did. my dad had a stroke in february 2020 and knowing that all of us were taking it seriously is what allowed us to actually meet up and spend time with him as he was recovering. It's mostly this part that upsets me:

deep dish peat moss posted:

In the case of people like my family or vaccinated people who are "sick of it" I would be okay with it if they were treating it as a calculated risk, like "I know it's not perfectly safe but I weighed my options and I'm willing to take that risk in order to not stifle myself" and then were appropriately isolating and making sure anyone they were going to be around (e.g. visiting family) were informed and consented to the same risks.

But it's not that, they have convinced themselves that it's safe and now they want to convince everyone else too. And I am sure my family is not the only one to spring something like "Oh yeah I've been out at a bunch of public events where people yell a lot and don't wear masks but don't worry it's safe now" on their otherwise covid-avoiding family in the middle of a dinner where they're sitting 3 feet apart

Personally I chose at the start of the pandemic to play it safe because I feel that no loss of "my fun" for a few years outweighs the risk of potential future complications. I don't think this is a likely outcome but it is a possible outcome: A vaccinated person could be infected followed by being entirely asymptomatic and then experience health complications further down the line, years later as a result. Or you have things like the new Mu variant which is partially vaccine evasive and recently killed 7 vaccinated people in a single nursing home that it tore through - even though it's not very common in the US outside of Utah, you never know when it could show up (Also, we live in a state that borders Utah!)

If you are taking that risk (which is fine and I don't think you're throwing your life away if you do) you should definitely let friends and family know ahead of spending time with them so that they can tell you if it makes them uncomfortable. I have a small-time autoimmune disorder, I don't think that I'm likely to even suffer if I got covid because I am vaccinated and minimize my risk, but it's such an easy risk to avoid with such a severe potential worst-case-scenario that I don't see a reason not to avoid it.

I hope all of our families just start taking it seriously and masking up for a while!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 5, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

why don't they just scan the microchip to verify vaccination?

Someone hosed up and made the chips too micro to scan :doh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

The thing I don't get the most about these people is the lack of willingness to do the bare minimum to engage with the established rules. I'm a white guy so we're talking min/max bonuses from the getgo for getting out of jail free but even I have a general awareness of "following the established protocols and doing what authority expects is a vital component to exercising these privileges". If I get pulled over by an officer I don't just smile and wave and say "haha, I'm white and male, let's move on" I eat poo poo and say "yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry sir" until they decide in their benevolence that my minor traffic violation isn't worth seriously loving up my day/record/life for. I count my blessings that works out for me and perhaps contributes to my willingness to drive 10% over with impunity but I'd never have the gall to get in a fight with flight attendants over a rule of wearing masks.

Like the dipshit coulda just worn it beneath their nose like every other piece of poo poo and that'd be that, they were complying. How do you get to the point where you're willing (or more likely unwilling to believe you would be) ejected from a flight for not putting on a cloth mask.

They spent their lives campaigning against all the violence in movies, music, and video games so in their mind there is clearly some established link for "duhr I behave as the movie characters I see do" and all of the movies aimed at their demo are about rogue outlaw cowboys fighting against a government that won't let them gosh darn save the day

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not even a healthcare worker and I feel like we're all going to have our empathy drives severely emptied out after this whole debacle. It becomes difficult to keep caring about people you don't know as you continue to learn more and more every day that a sizable portion of them like to juggle molotov cocktails at house parties despite not being any good at it, and then want to sue the house owner when they get burned

I can't imagine how any healthcare worker has not quit their job by now

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/10/nih-admits-funding-risky-virus-research-in-wuhan :thunk:

TLDR: A missing document was just provided in which EcoHealth Alliance admitted that they had been performing experiments in Wuhan involving adding cleavage sites to sars-cov viruses to see if it increased the danger they posed to humans, their findings concluded that at least one of their variants made mice much sicker than others. They swear that they could not have possibly been responsible for Covid, but they did not think that this information would have been relevant or helpful for medical science until now. Instead they covered it up :thunk:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 23, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The kind of person who thinks it's okay to get up in a stranger baby's face and touch it and breathe all over it and say ooh and ahh give me a kiss *mwah* is probably the kind of person to refuse a vaccine

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone had the audacity to hang this entire loving newspaper of anti-vaccine and one world order conspiracy bullshit on my front door today

I didn't read it so I don't know if there's anything overly infuriating or funny inside but I did note how it steadily escalates from "we have even better meds!" to "Big pharma is trying to murder us all!" to "It's all for the One World Order!!"

Interestingly it is targeted at left-leaning anti-vaxxers rather than the right

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's a shopify site. Sure would suck if someone reported them for selling pharmaceuticals which shopify doesn't allow, or COVID19 misinformation

https://www.shopify.com/legal/report-aup-violation

Speaking from the experience of a decade of working for big ecommerce and web hosting providers, if you want to report them you will need to play by their rules.

https://www.shopify.com/legal/aup-definitions#RestrictedItems

Pharmaceuticals (real or otherwise) aren't on the shopify AUP restricted items list. Currently the only items restricted are (some) firearms and firearms parts.

Shopify has policies for COVID-19:

https://www.shopify.com/legal/rules-of-engagement-covid19

It may or may not violate those policies, the one it's most likely to violate is being "true" which is subjective and up to whoever's working in Shopify's policy team when the report goes in. However if several of us report it for untruthful covid-19 claims on the straight talk page ( https://www.thepeopleschemist.com/pages/straight-talk-v8 ) - and preferably spread our reports out over a week - it will have less chance of being up to a single individual's subjective opinion.

however
It most likely does not violate Shopify's policies at all because their COVID-19 restrictions are written to only be applicable to products sold through the Shopify store, which is a way ecommerce providers weasel out of shutting things down: they just tell the scummy website to avoid that stuff in the product descriptions. The Straight Talk page is separate from the storefront page. I can't find any product pages making untruthful covid claims, so this is probably something the site owner has been through already.

That being said I sent in a COVID-19 report specifically pointing out that there's a big ad for https://www.thepeopleschemist.com/products/immune-fx that says "never get sick again" stuck in the middle of a paragraph about how you don't need vaccines to avoid covid-19, which should be against their policies as written, though it may only result in that ad being removed. I also threw in several of the more insane choice quotes from the Straight Talk page and told them about the door to door spam (including photos of it)

e: Several ecommerce platforms severely relaxed their policies on what items are allowed during the pandemic because they were able to posture "but people need their meds and need to stay home!!!" to policymakers to relax the regulations on what products were restricted on ecommerce. Now there's little that stands in the way legally for selling anything online except for guns, and what items/services are restricted is mostly based on how a platform feels about that item/type of business rather than any regulatory stuff. Delivery alcohol is available pretty much everywhere now

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone who's not willing to purposefully get sick with vaccine side effects and schedule it to fall during their work week so they get time off that no one can complain about has way too much work ethic to be my friend

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You said that you scheduled your shots to create a pretense for taking extra time off, just take the time off my friend you don't need an excuse

My job gave everyone 10 days of extra covid sick time that could only be used for having covid or for booster side effects so you're drat right I lined them up at the start of my work week and took 5 days off for each of the first 2 shots

Pretty sure they fired everyone who got covid and needed to miss more than 10 days lmao, but I quit that job after my 2nd shot anyway

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

This feels like a mistake. Like I get that everyone wants a booster but if entire continents remain mostly unvaxxed that's just going to breed more variants which will break through the vaccines people in rich countries have.

We just have to hope that strains with weaker symptoms emerge over time and become dominant (which is certainly a possibility if for example people with more serious strains stay home but people with weaker strains don't). It's probably going to be a seasonal thing like the flu for most of the rest of our lives

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just got my moderna booster :hellyeah:

I went to a Walgreens and I had to wait over an hour from my appointment time to get my shot because of idiots yelling at the pharmacists about dumb things.

There was an unvaccinated COVID nurse there for her first shot, and during the intake questionnaire it asks if you've been in "close contact" with any COVID positive people within the last 14 days. She walked up to ask a question about that and then spent 15 straight minutes screaming at them that she should not need to check "yes" because when she is taking care of COVID patients at work she wears a mask, so it doesn't count as "contact". She was unsurprisingly not wearing a mask to her appointment to get her first COVID vaccine.

There was another guy who got to the front of the line then immediately pulled his mask all the way off and shouted "DO YOU GUYS HAVE TAKE-HOME COVID TESTS?" in the pharmacist's face.

There was an old guy who didn't have an appointment and said he even went online and looked at the appointment times and decided not to make one because "there were plenty of openings, they were all colored boxes" and the pharmacist had to explain that colored boxes meant the time slot was not available. He yelled things like "Well you need to just give me my shot instead of holding up the line!" for 20 minutes.

I hate all people tbh

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 1, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My triple vaxxed best friend tested positive for covid today, after visiting family that knew about a positive test but hid their symptoms and test result and begged my friend to bring their children over. The kid they brought with them thankfully tested negative. The family member that hid symptoms was hospitalized 2 days after the visit, which they also hid from my friend until my friend got positive test results and asked if their parents could watch their kids. Stay safe y'all

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 12, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The most upsetting thing about the pandemic has been realizing that I can't trust over 50% of the population with my life and it's hard to even know which ones those are. At least the anti-vaxx people are vocal enough to avoid. But like - dating? How am I supposed to trust that a random stranger isn't putting my life on the line to get their jimmies off, ya know?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Welp. My brother just invited his extremely sloppy major alcoholic ex girlfriend over for the family christmas celebration. They bought a bunch of rapid tests and they feel that this is 100% safe because they are going to make her take a rapid test when she shows up on Christmas day.

I said I'm not attending anymore and now they're all mad at me and telling me I'm ruining christmas but lmao at the idea of hanging out with dangerously-sloppy strangers in an age where Covid has become the second most contagious virus on earth, and lmao at choosing your son's ex over your other son to spend christmas with you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My parents invited me over for dinner 3 days ago, and they both hid the fact that my dad has been experiencing COVID symptoms until he suddenly coughed at the table without covering his mouth and said "I've been having trouble like... regulating my body temperature lately." at which point I said "You need to take a COVID test and let me know what the results are." Apparently he had been refusing to test for 3 days prior to that despite having the symptoms. Sure enough, he has COVID. I kind of think my mom invited me over just because she knew I would insist he take a test.

So anyway today I have a sore throat, I'm slightly short of breath, and I can tell that I'm getting sick because I always get this weird sort of dreamlike feeling when I'm sick, and I have that today, and seeing as that excursion is literally the only time I've left home in the last few weeks I can't imagine it's anything else!! Thanks dad!

It reminded me that he's incredibly vocal on social media and to his friends about how he has no problem wearing a mask and he doesn't understand how all these republican idiots just can't - despite the fact that he has flat-out refused to wear a mask since the start of the pandemic.

My mom said he refuses to isolate, stay in bed or cover his mouth when he coughs so she's sure she's going to get it too. But he's entirely incapable of taking care of himself even when he's in good health, so she won't move out for a few days. He qualified for Paxlovid because he's very high risk and got a prescription filled but stopped taking them after one day because "they're just making me sicker, i can't taste anything now" :thumbsup: way to fuckin go dad

e: Lmao, pretty much every post I've made in this thread is about how dumb my family was being with risks after getting vaccines, you'd think I would have learned my lesson earlier.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So far it's very mild for me. The shortness of breath just feels like I smoked too much weed and my nose is very runny but it's not allergies, my back is kinda sore like I slept on it funny, and things taste weird but I still have my sense of taste. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse :ohdear:

I don't have insurance and can't afford to get Paxlovid either way :smith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I just mean the doctor's appointment is too much for me :sweatdrop: apparently the decent telehealth providers that offer pax prescriptions are like $60+ for the call. I'll worry about it tomorrow though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Update, I woke up after like 4 hours and just couldn't get back to sleep out of a feeling of general crumminess. I don't know how to explain it. My head is v. congested and if I blow my nose air whistles out my ears like a cartoon character. what the gently caress? I smoked some weed and it gave me the strongest body high I've ever felt but also it's not like a pleasant relaxing one, it just feels like someone is stretching all my bones out. My eyeballs kind of ache and I'm having hot and cold flashes. Other than all that I'm fine, but I think I'm in for a weird day as I learn about how adderall interacts with covid fatigue.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ok I tested positive. Not sure where my photo id is so no pax from Dr B yet but I'll take another test when I find it and get that rolling

Weird thing: so far at least w/ my mild symptoms, my daily Adderall pretty much counteracts most of the COVID symptoms. Still don't feel great but the fatigue and confusion is much lessened

e: The hardest part of this right now is my cats. They know something's wrong and they want a ton of attention from me right now but I don't wanna be breathing all over them plus I just don't have the energy for all the cuddling right now, so I have to yell at them to go away and I feel bad :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am not going to do a nasal rinse because my sinuses are all kinds of hosed up (in general, not from covid) and every time I have tried one before it was extremely painful. But Flonase has worked really well for keeping the congestion down for me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I mean I have tried it with just plain distilled water and it was one of the most painful things I've probably ever experienced as the sensation of like, falling and scraping your knee spread throughout every inch of my sinuses and nasal cavity. No thanks!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was feeling really crummy last night and this morning (day 1-2 of symptoms) but now halfway through day 2, after drinking some pedialyte and taking some high dose ibuprofin my symptoms are largely gone and I feel mostly fine aside from a little back ache :confused: It's gonna come back to get me, isn't it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oracle posted:

Once that ibuprofen wears off, yup.
What's really weird is it should have worn off a long time ago but I was still feeling fine. Then I went and laid down in bed and pretty much as soon as I was horizontal, bam, the congestion and hot/cold flashes and aches came back. So then I got up and sat upright and they're mostly gone again :confused:

I'm extremely tired though, I was only able to sleep for 3-4 hours last night

e: okay I just slept for a few hours again. Still feeling overall pretty good compared to last night :sweatdrop: Knock on wood!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 22, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope saying this does not jinx it, but after 48 hours the physical symptoms I'm getting are really not too bad. They were worst in the morning today and got steadily better throughout the day. Neck is a little store, nose+ears are uncomfortably stuffy, nose is raw from blowing it so much, I have that sort of slightly-delayed-action underwater feeling, but that's about it. It's likely that adderall + 800mg ibuprofin are suppressing most of them. If I didn't know of positive exposure and test myself and get a positive test I'm not sure I would have even thought that this was COVID.

But man, the mental effects are kicking my rear end. All day long my focus and concentration has been at about the same level it's at when the pharmacy runs out of stock of adderall and I start withdrawing - my attention span is less than 4 minutes long, nothing interests or excites me, I've done nothing except sit here and stare off into space all day long. Watching a movie or playing a videogame is just plain more mental effort than I can manage right now. I keep finding myself stuck in loops walking back and forth between 2 rooms and forgetting what I got up for.

Like I'll get up and head to the garage to draw, I grab my tablet and carry it out, then when I'm out there I realize I forgot my stylus. So I go inside, but before I get the stylus I step into the kitchen and grab a drink of water, then go back to the garage and go "oh yeah, Stylus", then I step inside and head to the kitchen and take my antihistamines or whatever and head back to the garage and go "ohhh, yeah, Stylus." and then go inside and go load a bowl and get high and head back to the garage and go "gah, stylus!". Just like picking myself up and moving to a different room like this takes 30+ minutes right now.

I spent probably 6+ hours today just kind of aimlessly walking around home and the entire time it felt like I was heading to somewhere specific to do something specific but there was actually nothing, there was nowhere I was going and no plan, I was just walking in circles. If this is the covid brain fog and I get stuck with it long-term then ugh.

e: Writing this post took me almost a full hour because I kept getting up and walking away to do... absolutely nothing, I had nothing to do in a different room but I just felt like I was supposed to get up and walk away, and I wouldn't realize until I actually did that I had no idea what I was getting up and walking away for.

I think posting on the forums is literally the only thing I did today (when I was sitting in one spot), and in an entire day of posting I managed an entire 24 posts.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

:hmmyes:

For what it's worth this behavior is very similar to just plain ol' adderall withdrawal, which I go through kind of regularly because there's been a national shortage for the last 8 months and there's usually a waitlist to refill prescriptions. But it's happening despite the fact that I took my meds today. And usually with adderall withdrawal I'm so tired and fatigued that I just lay in bed all day, but that's not going on here at all, I am wide awake (because I took adderall)

edit: Dang, it turns out there's a statistically-significant link between prescribed stimulant use for ADHD and less-severe COVID outcomes, what do you know:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9279163/

quote:

5. Conclusion
Emerging evidence indicates that adults with ADHD are at increased risk of infection and complications from the SARS-CoV-2 virus infection. Our study of TriNetX-based EHR data showed that, among adults with ADHD and COVID-19, those treated with stimulants, compared to those not treated with pharmacotherapy, had lower healthcare utilization (ED visits, hospitalization, ICU care) and mortality rates after COVID-19 infection, suggesting the risk of COVID-19 complications can be reduced in a population of adults with stimulant-treated ADHD. Additional research is needed to understand the effects of COVID-19 on neurological mechanisms and interactions with ADHD medications. Further research, accounting for the impact of potential confounders, is needed to elucidate these findings, evaluate the relationship between stimulant treatment and COVID-19 outcomes among adults with ADHD, and help guide clinical decision-making.
Though they also say it's possible that it's not the pharmacological effects of stimulants but more the demographics that they tend to be prescribed to (younger, healthier). I think it is likely that the adderall is counteracting a lot of the physical symptoms of COVID (things like fatigue and body aches) in my case, but it seems to not be having its usual mental effect.

As you can see by the edit timestamps I spent over an hour writing and editing this short post :v: Covid is no fun

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 22, 2023